• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), its DLSS-rival

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD finally made a big announcement on its ambitious FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) technology, the company's rival to NVIDIA's popular DLSS. Much like it, FSR aims to significantly improve gaming performance with minimal loss in image quality, through a sophisticated supersampling algorithm. At this point, AMD did not detail the nuts and bolts of the feature, but mentioned how the feature could look to gamers.

There are four FSR presets typically available to a supported game—Ultra Quality, Quality, Balanced, and Performance, which AMD claims offer performance gains of 59% for "Ultra Quality," 102% for "Quality," 153% for "Balanced," and 206% for "Performance." These should come particularly handy when playing games with raytracing on; and were measured on "Godfall" with RX 6800 XT, with 4K "epic" preset, and raytracing enabled. As of now, the company is working with over 10 game studios and game engine developers to integrate FSR, and the technology is expected to support "over 100 CPUs and GPUs."

Update Jun 22nd: We have now posted our in-depth review of AMD Radeon FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR).

The FSR slide-deck follows.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I am very eager to see and try this myself, AMD really needs this to succeed, and at face value, they seem fairly confident here in what they plan to deliver. I am also very keen to see a Digital Foundry analysis and comparison.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I am very eager to see and try this myself, AMD really needs this to succeed, and at face value, they seem fairly confident here in what they plan to deliver. I am also very keen to see a Digital Foundry analysis and comparison.

look at this screenshot. FSR is dead on arrival, look how blurry the ground looks. DLSS 2.0 auto wins if this is all AMD has to showcase....

m4hMl32FlwOdAY49.jpg

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
I also wonder about this portion..

100.JPG

and CPU's... is it because some AMD APU's will support it? or is it run (even in part) on the CPU, so only certain ones/above a certain threshold of cores/speed etc will support it?

I am really interested to understand what is going on under the hood.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
had to see real samples, stream videos cant show of real image quality

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
look at this screenshot. FSR is dead on arrival, look how blurry the ground looks. DLSS 2.0 auto wins if this is all AMD has to showcase....

View attachment 202353

I was about to laugh at how badly FSR look on the 1060 too LOL, the right side looks like 1080p image with CAS, everything just lose so much details and look blurry AF.

View attachment 202353
Too early to say for sure. First the resolution is 1440p. This means that source image is likely 1080p. Also it uses the second best "Quality" mode not the highest "Ultra Quality" mode. And it's just one game so the implementation may not be the best.

The same way DLSS is far less impressive when running on 1440p with "Performance" mode when compared to 4K in "Quality" mode.
And as always it's best to wait for independent testing. Hope AMD provides early access to testers before the June 22 release date.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I was about to laugh at how badly FSR look on the 1060 too LOL, the right side looks like 1080p image with CAS, everything just lose so much details and look blurry AF.

Nvidia wins this round, I'll still look at reviews when it launches and side by side images of other games, but that image alone being their showcase image does not inspire confidence...

that being said, I still think it's amazing AMD can compete with a 3080 at the $649 price range in the year 2020... with solid stable drivers. to be honest you got to give them credit for that, their gpu division almost died after the 5700 driver issue drama. I actually tried to get a 3080 on launch day but failed. that was only reason i got the 6800. and i have been pleasantly surprised how stable its been. and how many frames it gives me. etc

Too early to say for sure. First the resolution is 1440p. This means that source image is likely 1080p. Also it uses the second best "Quality" mode not the highest "Ultra Quality" mode. And it's just one game so the implementation may not be the best.

The same way DLSS is far less impressive when running on 1440p with "Performance" mode when compared to 4K in "Quality" mode.
And as always it's best to wait for independent testing. Hope AMD provides early access to testers before the June 22 release date.

ya I'm not tossing it out or anything, just not hopeful. will be interesting to see reviews June 22nd, not far away now.

View attachment 202353
Both sides look like a blurry mess. There's clearly motion blur in progress too (look at the foliage on the left and you'll think you need glasses), so I assume this is a screen capture from some low bitrate stream. And a low resolution capture at that. Let's see some actual high quality screen captures and footage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Both sides look like a blurry mess. There's clearly motion blur in progress too (look at the foliage on the left and you'll think you need glasses), so I assume this is a screen capture from some low bitrate stream. And a low resolution capture at that. It tells us absolutely nothing, and only a deranged fanboy would be calling it "dead on arrival" based on this nonsense. Let's see some actual high quality screen captures and footage.

are you suggesting a company as professional and rich as AMD does not know how to give a presentation properly? and to put forth their best showing at said presentation as reputable as computex is known for?

your logic is failing here. if it was a mistake then it was, but I highly doubt AMD would have given less than 100% effort in showcasing their much debated and talked about FSR/DLSS software. they knew the community was excited for it. they wouldn't have half assed their presentation. again it may have been a mistake in which case you may be right... we will know June 22nd when more reviews come out.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!

View attachment 202354

and CPU's... is it because some AMD APU's will support it? or is it run (even in part) on the CPU, so only certain ones/above a certain threshold of cores/speed etc will support it?

Wolf,

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe APU's were mentioned as being supported in the presentation.

Best,

Liquid Cool

Space Lynx

Astronaut

View attachment 202354

I watched the whole thing. APU's are supported yep.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
The 1060 comparison image is not kind, and reminds me of DLSS 1.0 in someways….

This being said, its important to note that AMD’s solution isn’t AI, and isn’t Temporal, its Spatial. Upside, there’s no frame delay so image persistence should be excellent. Downside, spatial upsampling usually doesn’t accumulate frame date (unless the algorithm is adaptive), so image quality is likely to be lower. The effect of this can be seen in DLSS in when you update the entire image (by spinning) and when you stop there being a momentary ‘snap’ to full quality as DLSS accumulates previous frame data.

FSR being available everywhere is likely the biggest thing that will kill DLSS off however, no need to spend time integrating one technology for one platform when you can build and ship once.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
FSR being available everywhere is likely the biggest thing that will kill DLSS off however, no need to spend time integrating one technology for one platform when you can build and ship once.

especially since the consoles are selling at record never before seen paces... developers will be putting their effort on those consoles first for all the AAA ports, which means FSR focus.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
The 1060 comparison image is not kind, and reminds me of DLSS 1.0 in someways….

This being said, its important to note that AMD’s solution isn’t AI, and isn’t Temporal, its Spatial. Upside, there’s no frame delay so image persistence should be excellent. Downside, spatial upsampling usually doesn’t accumulate frame date (unless the algorithm is adaptive), so image quality is likely to be lower. The effect of this can be seen in DLSS in when you update the entire image (by spinning) and when you stop there being a momentary ‘snap’ to full quality as DLSS accumulates previous frame data.

More like FSR exist concurrently to DLSS where RTX owners get the benefit of higher visual fidelity at the same performance, much like FidelityFX CAS atm.
Would be pretty funny if FSR can be applied on top of DLSS, DLSS Quality + FSR Ultra Quality for some insane visual/performance uplift LOL.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
More like FSR exist concurrently to DLSS where RTX owners get the benefit of higher visual fidelity at the same performance, much like FidelityFX CAS atm.

Nvidia will milk it for Gameworks titles, but I wouldn't expect all that many titles to be getting DLSS post 2022.

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Nvidia will milk it for Gameworks titles, but I wouldn't expect all that many titles to be getting DLSS post 2022.

DLSS is evolving everyday so I wouldn't be discounting DLSS just because some inferior upscaling tech just happen to be more popular....That's like saying luxury car are going extinct because cheaper cars are more popular LMAO

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Look how DLSS launched - full expect this to be a blurry mess for a year or two, while helping out APU and weak GPU owners (laptops especially)

This is a huge win for all gamers, having options that let us get away with weaker hardware

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Case Coolermaster NR200P
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
This is what Anandtech article is saying.

And, to drop into op-ed mode, this is where AMD has me a bit worried. In our pre-briefing with AMD, the company did confirm that FSR is going to be a purely spatial upscaling technology; it will operate on a frame-by-frame basis, without taking into account motion data (motion vectors) from the game itself.

For GPU junkies, many of you will recognize this as a similar strategy to how NVIDIA designed DLSS 1.0, which was all about spatial upscaling by using pre-trained, game-specific neural network models. DLSS 1.0 was ultimately a failure – it couldn’t consistently produce acceptable results and temporal artifacting was all too common. It wasn’t until NVIDIA introduced DLSS 2.0, a significantly expanded version of the technology that integrated motion vector data (essentially creating Temporal AA on steroids), that they finally got DLSS as we know it in working order.

Given NVIDIA’s experience with spatial-only upscaling, I’m concerned that AMD is going to repeat NVIDIA’s early mistakes. Spatial is a lot easier to do on the backend – and requires a lot less work from developers – but the lack of motion vector data presents some challenges. In particular, motion vectors are the traditional solution to countering temporal artifacting in TAA/DLSS, which is what ensures that there are no frame-by-frame oddities or other rendering errors from moving objects. Which is not to say that spatial-only upscaling can’t work, only that, if it’s competitive in image quality with DLSS, that would be a big first for AMD.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is what Anandtech article is saying.

I feel like AMD would be smart enough to not make such a similar recent mistake, so maybe they have an ace up their sleeve? We will see June 22nd... just a waiting game now really. 3 week wait isn't bad at all though. I'm expecting DLSS 2.0 to win handily though. but hopefully AMD did just make a mistake with those Godfall screens...

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I feel like AMD would be smart enough to not make such a similar recent mistake, so maybe they have an ace up their sleeve? We will see June 22nd... just a waiting game now really. 3 week wait isn't bad at all though. I'm expecting DLSS 2.0 to win handily though. but hopefully AMD did just make a mistake with those Godfall screens...

Yeah let hope FSR exist in some other game beside the shitty Godfall :roll: ,if AC Valhalla support FSR then it makes sense but Godfall, who the heck play this game?

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
DLSS is evolving everyday so I wouldn't be discounting DLSS just because some inferior upscaling tech just happen to be more popular....That's like saying luxury car are going extinct because cheaper cars are more popular LMAO

I think you mistake how technologies have been historically used and integrated.

1\ Most widely implemented for targets across multiple platforms (think Speedtree, Havoc, and some aspects of Gameworks).
2\ Available by default (think UE extensions)
3\ Paid to implement.

The 'quality' of the solution is oddly enough, not usually the deciding factor.

If Nvidia can reduce the burden on devs to almost nothing, we may see it on PC ports, but that will limit it to Unreal Engine titles almost exclusively (as don't expect large publishing houses to maintain branch compatibility specifically for PC when cross target alternatives exist).

Processor i7 13700KF
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I think you mistake how technologies have been historically used and integrated.

1\ Most widely implemented for targets across multiple platforms (think Speedtree, Havoc, and some aspects of Gameworks).
2\ Available by default (think UE extensions)
3\ Paid to implement.

The 'quality' of the solution is oddly enough, not usually the deciding factor.

If Nvidia can reduce the burden on devs to almost nothing, we may see it on PC ports, but that will limit it to Unreal Engine titles almost exclusively (as don't expect large publishing houses to maintain branch compatibility specifically for PC when cross target alternatives exist).

As long as DLSS offer perceivable superior image quality at the same performance as FSR, that's enough reason for devs to support DLSS.
If FSR can't distinguish itself IQ wise from just simple upscaling + CAS (which DLSS 2.0 already proved itself) then FSR will probably join Radeon Boost into oblivion.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
If FSR can't distinguish itself IQ wise from just simple upscaling + CAS then FSR will probably join Radeon Boost into oblivion LOL.

Of course, and if AMD is dumb enough to launch it at that quality, that's exactly what will happen.

But you are delusional that devs will spend the hours to implement a one vendor only for one platform upscaling tech if something close enough is available that supports all of their targets unless they are being paid to implement it or its literally a tickbox.