• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Announces Quad FX Platform

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Charting another industry first for computing enthusiasts, AMD today announced the AMD Quad FX Platform with Dual Socket Direct Connect (DSDC) Architecture, the first dual-socket, multi-core desktop PC platform designed to take advantage of the latest enhancements in Windows Vista Ultimate. As the supreme AMD platform for megatasking enthusiasts, the AMD Quad FX Platform is designed to redefine performance on the latest generation of multi-threaded applications.

The AMD Quad FX Platform is powered by pairs of the AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 series dual-core processors, the newest additions to the award-winning AMD Athlon 64 FX processor family. The new platform takes enthusiasts on a megatasking thrill ride, allowing them to make the most of their overall computing experience while gaming, editing audio/video and streaming high-definition content.

As consumers look forward to enhanced PC experiences made possible by Microsoft Windows Vista, and the software industry moves to a multi-threading environment, the AMD Quad FX Platform is poised to meet the needs of enthusiasts who "megatask" - running multiple, demanding applications and multi-threaded games. With the introduction of Dual Socket Direct Connect Architecture, consumers can count on a platform that scales with their compute-intensive applications today and tomorrow given that the platform is designed for a seamless upgrade path to a total of eight processing cores with planned AMD native quad-core processors in 2007.

"The emergence of a dual-socket consumer platform is critical for enthusiasts who demand systems that offer the sheer power and system headroom to let the enthusiast configure this system to his or her heart's content, and launch a fleet of entertainment and productivity applications at once," said Bob Brewer, corporate vice president, Desktop Division, AMD. "AMD is redefining performance by enabling our customers to take advantage of the amazing megatasking capability of two AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 series processors in the AMD Quad FX Platform."

With AMD64 technology and Dual Socket Direct Connect Architecture, the new AMD Quad FX Platform offers scaleable performance enhancements on a personal workstation powered by AMD Athlon 64 FX processors. In addition, this consumer powerhouse platform is designed with next-generation platform innovations such as high-performance, low-latency unbuffered DDR2 memory and for Non-Uniform Memory Access (NUMA) support with compatible operating systems.

"Windows Vista Ultimate is designed to take advantage of next-generation technology like AMD's Quad FX Platform to provide amazing experiences for computer enthusiasts," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president, Windows, Microsoft. "With support for multi-core platforms growing in the industry, customers can look forward to more innovation from Microsoft and technology partners like AMD-innovation that provides truly immersive experiences in gaming and other high-performance applications."

"Alienware and AMD have worked together for years to ensure the enthusiast community receives the best possible products and we were excited to showcase AMD's megatasking powerhouse, the AMD Quad FX Platform at DigitalLife in New York last October," said Mark Vena, Alienware's Vice President of Marketing. "Alienware believes that the AMD Quad FX Platform is going to enable new levels of digital content and immersive entertainment applications with consumers and business professionals while our long-time relationship with AMD signifies exciting things to come in the future."

NVIDIA, the chipset and multi-GPU launch partner for the AMD Quad FX platform, is excited about the potential of an enthusiast AMD dual-socket platform. "NVIDIA is pleased to be the launch partner for the launch of the new AMD Quad FX multi-GPU Platforms," said Drew Henry, general manager of MCP business at NVIDIA. "Our GeForce 8 series of graphics processing units and the NVIDIA nForce 680a media and communications processor deliver an ideal solution for megatasking enthusiasts who look to AMD and NVIDIA to provide the best products for multi-threaded games and applications."

"VoodooPC shares AMD's commitment to drive cool technologies that deliver more exciting, immersive and personalized entertainment experiences to our customers," said Rahul Sood, chief technologist, Global Gaming business unit, HP. "The AMD Quad FX Platform could very well open a new world of significant possibilities to address the insane demands of enthusiasts."

With the flexibility of the AMD Quad FX Platform, systems can be configured to support a variety of enthusiast needs, including those of aspiring audio/video content creators.

Dan Gregoire is a digital artist who counts many of the world's top movie and advertising studios among his satisfied customers. As an innovator of the digital 3-D story-boarding technique called "pre-visualization" that is sweeping the film industry, he clearly understands the need for speed, performance and the all important upgrade path offered by AMD multi-core technology.

"We've been able to consistently increase the value we deliver to our customers simply by following AMD's roadmap -- 64-bit addressability, adding more cores," said Dan Gregoire, CEO of Halon Entertainment. "AMD's technology helps us create amazing cinematic effects, but even more exciting to me is that it is available to everyone."

"Audio loves more cores. More cores and AMD's balanced architecture means I never have to make artistic compromises due to technology limitations," said Elliot Scheiner, Grammy and Emmy-winning audio producer/engineer who puts his trust in AMD to help deliver pristine sonic quality to please his professional clientele.

Unprecedented Capabilities with the AMD Quad FX Platform The AMD Quad FX Platform offers enthusiasts absolute performance, flexibility, and customization by including outrageous features like twelve SATA controllers designed to enable up to nine (9) terabytes of storage using currently available drive technologies (for over 450 high-definition movies), and increased spacing between PCI-E slots to accommodate up to four high-performance graphics cards.

The AMD Quad FX Platform is designed to enable infinite options for demanding enthusiasts to tweak their custom systems, including the ability to drive four or even eight monitors at the same time when using up to four PCI-E graphics cards.

Dual Socket Direct Connect Architecture
Dual Socket Direct Connect (DSDC) Architecture enables high-bandwidth communication between matched pairs of AMD Athlon 64 FX-70, AMD Athlon 64 FX-72, and AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 dual-core processors. DSDC Architecture is designed for the multi-core, multi-threaded future with planned platform upgradeability to eight cores.

Enthusiasts can benefit from having twice the number of processor cores due to a dual-socket configuration.

Availability and Pricing
Pricing for pairs of the new AMD Athlon 64 FX-70, FX-72 and FX-74 dual-core processors is $599, $799 and $999, respectively for PIB. For pricing details, please visit: www.amd.com/pricing.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 series dual-core processors are expected to be available from NewEgg throughout North America on November 30. Worldwide product availability is expected by early 2007. AMD Quad FX Platform systems are expected to be available from Vigor, Cyber Power and IBUYPOWER and other major system builders are expected to offer systems in the near future.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 24505

chinese,but look at no.s
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1129/tawada92.htm

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
i just have 2 things to say:

HOLLY SH^T!1!
and
I WANT ONE :D :D

LOL, I don't blame you... it not only performs decently enough (DanTheBanjoMan did a post comparing it vs. INTEL's "Kentsfield" & it did well vs. that), but looks wild!

For the results data on THAT? See here:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=21066

:)

* I had TRUE Multiple CPU systems (SMP rigs) in the past on INTEL stuff Pentium I, II, & III... & I always liked them... solid & slick multitaskers!

APK

P.S.=> I still think INTEL has the lead in performance in MOST areas & benchmark tests, @ least for now though...

Still, AMD held that same lead for 3 years or so & had before that as well (when the Athlon series first came out around 1998 & their 600-700mhz stuff)!

IMO, it's ONLY a matter of time before AMD takes the lead again & eventually, INTEL will/vice-a-versa! apk

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
Strange, the Xbit review shows the quadfx 74 bases system being outpaced by the Kentsfield, in some cases even an FX62 is faster.

EviLZeD

System Name Ez - 1st custom
Processor AMD Phenom x3 8450
Motherboard Asus m3a78-em
Cooling thermaltake mini typhoon :D aerogate fan controller
Memory 6gb corsair xms 2 800mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) xpertvision HD 4850 1GB ddr3 sonic 685/1000
Storage Corsair 128gb SSD, 2x 250GB maxtor 16mb cache raid 0, 500gb 32mb cache storage
Display(s) AMD surround view 2x e172fp 17" 1x dell e248wfp 24"
Case coolermaster elite 330
Audio Device(s) creative audigy se
Power Supply hiper type r 580watt
Software Windows 7 x64
having 2 processor makes it look soo powerful but from the other thread seems like it doesnt beat qx6700 :(

i cant picture many people buying 4 graphics cards

Namslas90

Thats board just looks awsome, too bad it's out of my/most peoples price range. I wonder how Oblivion would play with that baby!

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
what will the energy consumption be for 2 of those cpus? well i guess that goes out the window here dont it?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Need to plug in a powerstation and my garden shed will become the pC case!

Namslas90

what will the energy consumption be for 2 of those cpus? well i guess that goes out the window here dont it?

After adding necessary system components, probably kinda high(700-1K). This board looks like it would need one of those new IKw Psu's to handle duel video cards, raid, and Max memory.

You would need a second part time job for the electric bill here in Nor*Cal.

After adding necessary system components, probably kinda high(700-1K). This board looks like it would need one of those new IKw Psu's to handle duel video cards, raid, and Max memory.

You would need a second part time job for the electric bill here in Nor*Cal.

Needs about 50 fans as well if you have all that.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
newly announced a footpowered dynamo from AMD to help with the increasing energy bills due to all the over energy consuming products still getting pumped out in the 21st century.

Namslas90

I could always buy a couple a greyhounds and put them in a squirrel cage generator, but I'd end up in jail by the SPCA.

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
tri sli and 2 cores, all you need is water cooling on all those suckers :D and a nice 1kw psu... Imagime 3 gtx's on that thing, or second gen dx10.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Power consumption is around 80% more than kentsfield.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Does this monster mainboard with hexa-fan blowers come with FREE EARPLUGS?

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Does this monster mainboard with hexa-fan blowers come with FREE EARPLUGS?

I rather have FREE HEADPHONES so I can still hear the explosions when I play Battlefield :roll:

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit