1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD APU owners, whats the verdict?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bpgt64, Oct 3, 2011.

?

How's the new APU system?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2011.
  1. Great!

45.8%
  2. Ok.

45.8%
  3. Underwelming.

8.3%
  4. I returned mine.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this seems pointless, as both underclock at idle by default.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    I don't use screensavers.

So? Can't an underclock save up even more?

I'm running my E8400 @ 225 right now: doesn't save much but it saves something. When i need to, i overclock to 461 FSB but i haven't, lately.

3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    You can alter the clock rate of the CPU and GPU independently of each other.

You don't need to as it burns little power to begin with. Playing Resident Evil 5 with just the A8-3850 was about 85W for the whole system. With the 6670 in CF it was 119W. Dude here: http://www.futurelooks.com/amd-llano-apu-review-entry-level-pc-king/

HTC says thanks.
  4. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Thank you: this is what i wanted to know.

EDIT

It's not the idle power usage that saves you money: it's the load power usage, and that's where the underclock plays it's part, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no, its the idle. system is idle more than its at load, unless you leave your system in a game with Vsync off every time you turn it on.

Horrux says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    You're right but you're also wrong.

The PC is idle most of the time and, with an underclock, i could gain ... say ... 1 watt. When it's under load, however, i could have a gain of ... say ... 8 watts.

My numbers are made up ofc but, for the sake of argument, let's agree these are real values. It would take 8 hours of idle time to gain what it takes an hour of load time to gain, correct? And that's why i say it's under load that the PC saves power.

Unless someone actually makes some power consumption underclock tests VS stock tests, i have no way of knowing actual values.

7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    how is it that 2 people are disappointed?

8. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I am looking forward to the AMD Trinity laptops. Should be relatively inexpensive and play games better than that awful Intel graphics chip.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    HTC says thanks.
  10. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    While that seems like a sound argument you are forgetting that the PSU in your computer will improve efficiency as the power goes up then it tappers off. If you include the difference in efficiency with your calculation and the power that is wasted to heat by the PSU to convert AC to DC, you may find interesting results.

Using your example, you are saving 1 W at idle, but wasting 8W because the PSU's PFC is only 68% at such a low load. You are now net 7W. When it is in load, efficiency goes up to say 82% and you are now only wasting an extra 5W leaving you with a net of 3W. Now you would actually be saving more energy while the computer is loaded.

The other point Cadaveca was trying to make was AMD Cool & Quiet and C6 power state are implemented on the APUs (correct me if I am wrong on the C6 thing). When the computer is idle for even a few seconds, the CPU auto underclocks itself to 800 MHz and underevolts itself to 0.9V. When a load is received it switches back to normal 2.X GHz and 1.3 to 1.4 volts. You don't need to undervolt anything as it will already try to save as much power as possible.

HTC says thanks.
  11. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Seems like everybody is using the A8. Frys has AMD A4-3400 & GIGABYTE
    GA-A75M-D2H combo sale for $120 - $10 rebate. Is this any good if you want to step into the APU land? or the A8 is better for a more robust machine? I thought of buying the combo for strict multimedia pc (existing is 690G mobo + NV 9400GT + 2300 BE 45w cpu @ 2.5 ghz, its still pretty good, but wanted to try out new stuff).

Good thread, will be watching all the feeback. If I get one I will cast my vote.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The A4-3400 is much better than your 9400 GT +2300 BE, thought I would expect it to create a little more heat in the case at 65W.

13. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [kinda_offtopic]

I believe what you are after is called under-volt, 'cause usually under-clock makes up for almost no powersave (same VID applied).
    For instance, I use RMClock on my MV-40, to change the CPU voltages from 1.0v @ all clock to 0.65v @ 800MHz & 0.825 @ 1.65GHz, and I gain about 1/4~1/3 battery time.

[/kinda_offtopic]

14. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    I use both, actually: underclock and undervolt.

I'm seriously considering "upgrading" to this platform: specifically, A3650 or A3x00 with the latter being preferred but i'll need to find it here in my area first.
    My only concern in the graphics part since going from a 6850 into an IGP even with the extra dedicated card, it's quite a drop in performance.

15. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Let's see about this:

OS - 100 USD
    HDD - 50 USD
    APU - 120 USD
    Motherboard - 70 USD
    RAM - 80 USD
    Case - 40 USD
    Optical Drive - 30 USD
    PSU - 50 USD

Total system cost: ~540 USD

For that you can get a decent budget system, overall quality parts, and everything you need to run the computer. The A8-3850 provides decent graphics, acceptable computational ability, and a relatively low power draw. I can't say how happy I am with this particular build.

While you aren't going to get anything exceptional compared to enthusiast builds, you get something exceptional in the budget range. Having an atom based server, I can attest than Intel integrated graphics generally blow. At the same time, the i series had exceptional CPU processing to balance out the issues. AMD realized that the opposite was true for consumers in this budget constraint. They needed graphics for basic gaming, and computational power was a luxury item for these consumers.

Until Intel can rival AMDs budgetary minded designs, I will be 100% satisfied with the APU. That said, I cannot vouch for the performance of lower end APUs. I always try to push a slight budget increase before compromising on a processor that I don't feel will be able to get the job done.

16. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    you should also change your monitor to Led, its certainly save you 30 watt.

17. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I just bought a Satellite C655D-S5332 with the e300 APU. I got it for school work, not gaming(I use my desktop for that). It's no speed demon, but it isn't bad either after getting rid of all the bloatware.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my 23.6" only uses 22W at default settings, and thats pretty standard. LED monitors use tiny amounts of power.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    My Samsung 2233rz consumes up to 50w.

20. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Fixed. You also could save a bit of money here and there for a budget build if you check newegg.com or your preferred site for combo deals.

And if you are serious about this build, I am selling the GIGABYTE A75M-UD2H board: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144364

And bpgt64 if you are near Douglasville in the greater Atlanta area, I maybe able to work out a deal for the BitFenix Outlaw case for you as well.

21. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    Does Llano support dual digital monitors with the integrated graphics if the board has DVI and HDMI outputs? Figured this would a good thread for a random APU question.

I just don't see myself doing much gaming in the future besides old titles like CS:S, and am considering a mATX build with the A8-3850 and Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H.

22. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    It will support up to 3 monitors at once without assistance. Gaming on that setup would not be a good idea though.

Just remember you will need active adapters if you need to switch one of the connectors like DP to DVI or HDMI to DVI.

23. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know if there are some plans on something a little stronger in netbooks? The C-50 isn't a big enough upgrade vs my current L310@1.5ghz

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its a bit further away, but iirc socket FM2 is going to be a hybrid of bulldozer and llano in the future, so it'll be beefier for sure.

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    thanks i guess i can wait then. the C50 wouldn't be to bad if it was socketed and i could just snag a better chip and swap them like i did for my current netbook.

10 Year Member at TPU