• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD attempts to shape review content with staged release of info

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Yes, AMD and other firms have done limited "preview" releases in the past, where select publications are allowed to publish a few pictures and perhaps a handful of benchmark numbers ahead of time. There is some slight precedent there.

But none of that changes the fact that this plan is absolutely, bat-guano crazy. It crosses a line that should not be crossed.

Companies like AMD don't get to decide what gets highlighted in reviews and what doesn't. Using the review press's general willingness to agree on one thing—timing—to get additional control may seem clever, but we've thought it over, and no. We'll keep our independence, thanks.

The email goes on to conclude by, apparently, anticipating such a reaction and offering a chance for feedback:

"We are aware that this is a unique approach to product launches. We are always looking at ways that we can work with you to help drive additional traffic to your articles and effectively convey the AMD message. We strive to provide the best products in their price points, bringing a great product for a great price. Please feel free to provide feedback on what you find, both with the product and with your experience in the AMD New Product Review Program. We try to ensure that we are providing you what you need and appreciate any feedback you have to offer on how we can do better."

I picked up the phone almost immediately after reading this paragraph and attempted to persuade both Mr. Amos and, later, his boss that this plan was not a good one. I was told that this decision was made not just in PR but at higher levels in the company and that my objections had been widely noted in internal emails. Unfortunately, although fully aware of my objections and of the very important basic principle at stake, AMD decided to go through with its plan.

Shame on them for that.

It's possible you may see desktop Trinity "previews" at other websites today that conform precisely to AMD's dictates. I'm not sure. I hope most folks have decided to refrain from participation in this farce, but I really don't know what will happen. I also hope that any who did participate will reconsider their positions after reading this post and thinking about what they're giving up.

And I hope, most of all, that the broader public understands what's at stake here and insists on a change in policy from AMD.

If this level of control from companies over the content of reviews becomes the norm, we will be forced to change the way we work the firms whose products we review. We will not compromise our independence. We believe you demand and deserve nothing less.

Full post here.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit

Not seeing the problem here, there are NDAs and such other regular formalities in the trade. TR is free to not abide by them if they choose but of course that'll cost them in the form of AMD not considering them for review samples, invitation to events and such. There are consequences just like when you break any other contract (because that's what NDAs ultimately are).

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
His concerns seem to be red-herringish grand standing to me.

If AMD wants to limit what information is released prior to launch, then that's their call. It's not like they're going to limit what information is published in full reviews once the NDA's lift. This tactic might cost them some initial sales while all of the reviews are posted and digested, but it's not like they're being shady.

AMD already said that they were pulling out of the enthusiast market, so I assume these CPU's will perform accordingly.

Go ahead and "stay independent" by not publishing a full review until AMD allows you to, which is the same exact time AMD allows everyone else to.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
AMD already said that they were pulling out of the enthusiast market .

AMD never said that.

Piledriver, Steamroller, and Excavator will have enthusiast desktop parts.

Keep in mind, something doesn't have to be #1 in the benchmarks to still be enthusiast.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
since the email refers to PREVIEW information released, every single bit of it is bang on and fair enough, damn intel fantards trying to make a Drama out of nothing, Amd mearly want some info held back untill release day, fair enough.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
AMD never said that.

Piledriver, Steamroller, and Excavator will have enthusiast desktop parts.

Keep in mind, something doesn't have to be #1 in the benchmarks to still be enthusiast.

My bad. I assumed when it was announced that they weren't going to compete with Intel on performance, they were saying they were pulling out of the enthusiast market.