• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Briefly Shows Off Zen “Summit Ridge” Silicon

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Intel continued to thrive under Pentium 4, AMD's fortunes under Bulldozer...not so much. AMD's x86 server market share - thanks to the server orientated Bulldozer/Piledriver is at an all time low of less than 0.7% - the lowest figure since AMD entered the server market with the debut of Opteron in 2003

I should have elaborated that I was referring to usability not financial success.

Rest my case about you sounding like a 12 year old man.... cause you can afford more than some people makes your opinion better? I'm not having a dig btw just saying the whole "I have this many cores and 64GB RAMS, so I am better than you" thing comes off as douchey man, it's not relevant, same as jeb ends in BMW's who think they can drive like wankers and are better than other road users....

Again I haven't read the whole case in point you two were arguing just you seem a lot better than trying to prove a point because your HW is much better than the other guys... that don't mean jack :p

Now let's all wait for Zen and speculate and opinionate, no need to get into the whole my dads bigger than your dad, he said she said playground stuff is there :nutkick:

Dude, I don't even know what you're banging on about...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Darling, AMD has always been slower in SuperPi, even when it was a leader in performance in the golden era of Athlon XP. How do I know? Because I was overclocking those puppies and benching in SuperPi a lot back then. And they were always slower in seconds while totally raping Intel in everything that actually matters.
Darling?

That was just one example, poor one or not. There are plenty more sweetheart. :p

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I fail to see the difference between the P4 and Bulldozer debacles. You make it sound as if no one is getting by on Bulldozer and Steamrollers. While they aren't as good by any stretch of the means, you can still accomplish any task perfectly fine with Bulldozers and Steamrollers.

1. P4 was not holistically problematic for gaming, Bulldozer pretty much is, even in a lot of multi threaded games.

2. Bulldozer users aren't really "getting by" on a lot of AAA games that others are enjoying, and even a lot of those that used to swear by them are admitting they made a mistake buying it. I never complained about my P4 Northwood. If anything it gamed far longer than I anticipated it would.

3. I (as are most here) am talking about gaming and the people buying them for that purpose, not multi tasking.

4. (Even though you made this point to someone else), IPC is being repetitively mentioned, because AMD are basing their entire Zen campaign on it, and now just one specific title that is very Dx12 biased. And even at that, they're now saying they're "targeting", vs prior to that assuring a 40% increase.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
1. P4 was not holistically problematic, Bulldozer IS.

2. Bulldozer users aren't really "getting by" on a lot of AAA games that others are enjoying, and even a lot of those that used to swear by them are admitting they made a mistake buying it.

3. I (as are most here) am talking about gaming and the people buying them for that purpose, not multi tasking.

4. (Even though you made this point to someone else), IPC is being repetitively mentioned, because AMD are basing their entire Zen campaign on it, and now just one specific title that is very Dx12 biased. And even at that, they're now saying they're "targeting", vs assuring a 40% increase.

What are you talking about P4 users had just as bad of a time trying to run games as bulldozer users. The bulldozer architecture operates great in games that allow for multithreading. The only games with substantially frame rate issues are horribly coded and do not allow more than 1 or 2 cores to be utilized. This issue can be "fixed" by setting the core count by module which shuts off half the "cores"

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
What are you talking about P4 users had just as bad of a time trying to run games as bulldozer users. The bulldozer architecture operates great in games that allow for multithreading. The only games with substantially frame rate issues are horribly coded and do not allow more than 1 or 2 cores to be utilized. This issue can be "fixed" by setting the core count by module which shuts off half the "cores"

Apparently you've never played on a P4 Northwood, and they came out well before dual core was popular enough to require one for most games. Hell, I even played original Crysis on my Northwood, and with max textures. I had a 4:3 CRT display that I set to 1200x900 for that game, with Med Shaders and Shadows, and only had to employ a few simple file edits to tweak Object Quality and view distance.

Keep in mind dual core was the first step of multi core CPU gaming, so it took a while for devs to adopt. I think the problem here though, is you're not putting each chip in it's own timeline. P4 Northwood fared WAY better in it's time, than Bulldozed is in it's.

I'm pretty sure AMD is talking only low thread performance improvement too. I'm really doubting multi thread performance will see a 40% gain, especially when they're now saying they're "targeting" that, vs achieving it.

If anything, Zen will see its largest boosts in multi-threaded loads - most especially floating point multi-threaded loads... the reply to this continues below, but I also want to address:

I think that if Skylike is twice as fast as Bulldozer, then Skylake is 100% faster. If Zen is 40% faster than Bulldozer, then Skylake is 60% faster then Zen. No?

A doubling in performance over Bulldozer - even with 'just' a 40% IPC jump over Excavator - is easily believable.

Single threaded performance:
BD: 100%
PD: 109%
SR: 117%
XV: 128%
ZN: 180%

Multi-threaded:
ZN + SMT (15%~20%) = 207%~216%

I ignored all the multi-threaded improvements made in the construction core family as they should have little bearing on Zen's multi-threaded performance. Still, the scaling should be much better than what was seen with the construction family.

Check out benchmarks. Specifically the single threaded benchmarks, which when at the same clocks, gives you an idea of the difference in IPC. Look at bulldozer vs Skylake in Super Pi for example. I can take a nap running 32M on AMD. :p

Things aren't that way any more. Excavator, from which AMD's 40% boost is applied, performs rather well in SuperPi.

See here: http://excavator.looncraz.net/

I also made a few Zen performance estimates. The amount of math involved is glorious, but all my data is disclosed and linked on the site - even though I post all my images in relative terms.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
If anything, Zen will see its largest boosts in multi-threaded loads ...
Makes no sense really. Clearly Bulldozer's main caveat is poor low thread performance. Multi thread wise it does much better.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
If anything, Zen will see its largest boosts in multi-threaded loads - most especially floating point multi-threaded loads... the reply to this continues below, but I also want to address:

A doubling in performance over Bulldozer - even with 'just' a 40% IPC jump over Excavator - is easily believable.

Multi-threaded:

I ignored all the multi-threaded improvements made in the construction core family as they should have little bearing on Zen's multi-threaded performance. Still, the scaling should be much better than what was seen with the construction family.

Things aren't that way any more. Excavator, from which AMD's 40% boost is applied, performs rather well in SuperPi.

I also made a few Zen performance estimates. The amount of math involved is glorious, but all my data is disclosed and linked on the site - even though I post all my images in relative terms.

In a scientific sense, someone who pays (as you state in your opening page) to demonstrate a principle or process will be blindsided by their own bias.
Using maths to justify end conclusions is invalid when you don't know enough about Zen to compile accurate data.
Your work is commendable but the enthusiasm behind it also compromises it's neutrality and validity.

Only time will tell how well Zen does. And I do believe only the mad want it to fail. Intel's pricing structure needs a shake up (much like Polaris will hopefully do to Nvidia mid range).

System Name AMD forever, AMD overclocker
Processor Athlon 3000+ Venice, Athlon x2 4600+ EE Windsor,x4 955 BE@3.9GHz AIR, X4 965 BE, x4 970 BE, x6 1090T
Motherboard Asus C5F-Z, Asus C5F, Asus C4E, Asus C4F, Asus RIIIE, Asus R4E, Asus M5F, Asus M6F, Asus M7H,
Cooling Corsair H100, Swiftech H220, CM Hyper 212, Xigmatek 1283 DK+Ultra Kaze, CM V6GT, Noctua NHD14
Memory Kingston Hyper X, 1600 A-Data 2000x, Corsair Dominator GT 2000 MHz, GSkill TridentX 2400MHz, HyperX
Video Card(s) HD3870 512MB GDDR4, HD5770 1024MB GDDR5, ATI HD4870, HD 6870 GDDR5, HD 7870,Radeon R9-270X
Storage 2x 320GB WD+Samsung, 1x 500 GB Samsung, SSD X-25, SSD HyperX, SSD Seagate, SSD Corsair GT
Display(s) BenQ 24" 24XL
Case HAF 922, Aspire X-Cruiser, benchtable Wroom
Power Supply Seasonic 500W and Seasonic 650W, Corsair AX 1200W, Zalman Goldrock 750, Galaxy OC edition 1200W
Software x64 win 7 and x86 Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores you rather I do not want to see .. :-D !!!Thuban coming soon, new secret Gigabyte mobo too !!!
I should flippin' hope so. When Zen is out SB will be 5yrs old...

It is, but...compare clock to clock in pure tests SB to Skylake single thread (no test with AVX, AVX2 or XOP, FMA)...Difference? 7-10% max.

Multi-threaded:

I Think you are wearing rose colored glasses if you believe ANY AMD CPU does "rather well" in Super pi or other similar applications. Those in the know wouldn't touch an amd for pi. ;)

Makes no sense really. Clearly Bulldozer's main caveat is poor low thread performance. Multi thread wise it does much better.

Bulldozer's multi-threaded strength is purely a function of its core count, nothing more. Its scaling is HORRENDOUS due to the module penalties.

Zen has all of the following benefits over Bulldozer for multi-threaded:

1. No module penalties (+15% thread scaling, right off the bat)
2. Fast L3 (unknown adder, but an adder nonetheless)
3. Fully dedicated FPUs
4. SMT (+15~20%)

Even if Zen had the same IPC it would demolish Bulldozer in multi-threaded workloads.

In a scientific sense, someone who pays (as you state in your opening page) to demonstrate a principle or process will be blindsided by their own bias.
Using maths to justify end conclusions is invalid when you don't know enough about Zen to compile accurate data.
Your work is commendable but the enthusiasm behind it also compromises it's neutrality and validity.

Only time will tell how well Zen does. And I do believe only the mad want it to fail. Intel's pricing structure needs a shake up (much like Polaris will hopefully do to Nvidia mid range).

There is less conflict in buying the product from which I created the baseline data than if the product had been given to me to create the data to sale that product. My numbers are also entirely accurate as I benchmarked them several times and validated them with third parties to ensure I was within the same ballpark. I performed exactly zero manipulations to the results. The full, raw, results are linked in the article.

BTW, I know a great deal about Zen. I'm probably one of the most knowledgeable people on the subject outside of AMD or GloFo. I broke down the GCC patch into pipelines: http://looncraz.net/ZenAssignments.html

As for objectivity, that is mostly guaranteed by the use of methods deployed. Scientists are often very enthusiastic about what they are doing - the only way they can be objective is by following standards and procedures - which I did religiously.

I Think you are wearing rose colored glasses if you believe ANY AMD CPU does "rather well" in Super pi or other similar applications. Those in the know wouldn't touch an amd for pi. ;)

Excavator does rather well... compared to Steamroller :p They saw a nearly 18% improvement for that one, genuinely worthless, benchmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
See the forest outside of the trees. ;)

You may want to edit your posts instead of triple posting. :)

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Apparently you've never played on a P4 Northwood, and they came out well before dual core was popular enough to require one for most games. Hell, I even played original Crysis on my Northwood, and with max textures. I had a 4:3 CRT display that I set to 1200x900 for that game, with Med Shaders and Shadows, and only had to employ a few simple file edits to tweak Object Quality and view distance.

Keep in mind dual core was the first step of multi core CPU gaming, so it took a while for devs to adopt. I think the problem here though, is you're not putting each chip in it's own timeline. P4 Northwood fared WAY better in it's time, than Bulldozed is in it's.

You mean the P4 Northwood that was getting handily beat by the lower clocked budget AMD Duron and AMD Sempron?

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
You mean the P4 Northwood that was getting handily beat by the lower clocked budget AMD Duron and AMD Sempron?

LOL, where do you guys get this malarkey? Before dual cores were necessary, the P4 Northwood was a quite popular chip for gaming, and it OCed well, and didn't run as hot as a toaster like a lot of AMD product.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Even if Zen had the same IPC it would demolish Bulldozer in multi-threaded workloads.

It will demolish it regardless, but only because Bulldozer is a crap design. Where it will smash it most is where Bulldozer is weakest though, and that's as everyone knows, in low thread applications.

I'm talking real world performance, not IPC per core, because there's always going to be overhead in octo core CPUs until games catch up. So the biggest noticeable difference will be in low thread applications. You don't seem to grasp that.

System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750

QFT

LOL, where do you guys get this malarkey? Before dual cores were necessary, the P4 Northwood was a quite popular chip for gaming, and it OCed well, and didn't run as hot as a toaster like a lot of AMD product.

AMD was still had the IPC lead after the Northwood die shrink came to market. The only thing that really changed was that P4 Northwood used less power.

There were many times when Northwood was beat out by an Athlon XP clocked 600Mhz or more lower - especially in multimedia.

Take a look here: http://techreport.com/review/3289/pentium-4-northwood-2-2ghz-vs-athlon-xp-2000

It will demolish it regardless, but only because Bulldozer is a crap design. Where it will smash it most is where Bulldozer is weakest though, and that's as everyone knows, in low thread applications.

I'm talking real world performance, not IPC per core, because there's always going to be overhead in octo core CPUs until games catch up. So the biggest noticeable difference will be in low thread applications. You don't seem to grasp that.

IPC creates real world performance in lieu of other bottlenecks. A 40% IPC improvement over Excavator is nearly an 80% improvement over Bulldozer (albeit not evenly distributed). Multi-threaded workloads aren't uniform, which is what I think you're trying to say (albeit, poorly).

Games don't usually thread well, but many applications scale very well with more cores. However, reviewers focus on applications that tend to scale well - Cinebench, Handbrake, etc... - and, in those applications, Zen should nearly double Bulldozer's performance.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
If anyone has credible benches from a legit site that compares a same time frame, same price point AMD single core CPU significantly outperforming a P4 Northwood, I think it would have been posted by now.

Here is the exact conclusion of looncraz's link.

"Conclusions
Performance-wise, it's a toss-up. I would like to declare one or the other of these processors the clear winner, but that's just not possible. The Athlon XP 2000+ and Pentium 4 2.2GHz are locked in a dead heat for the title of "fastest x86 processor."

So the best you can say is it tied for fastest. And mind you, that was AMD's answer to the Northwood that had just released, so prior to that, the Northwood was king. I mean how many times have we seen this, where AMD can only match vs dethrone an existing dominate chip? Lately they can't even match.

If anyone has credible benches from a legit site that compares a same time frame, same price point AMD single core CPU significantly outperforming a P4 Northwood, I think it would have been posted by now.

Here is the exact conclusion of looncraz's link.

"Conclusions
Performance-wise, it's a toss-up. I would like to declare one or the other of these processors the clear winner, but that's just not possible. The Athlon XP 2000+ and Pentium 4 2.2GHz are locked in a dead heat for the title of "fastest x86 processor."

So the best you can say is it tied for fastest. And mind you, that was AMD's answer to the Northwood that had just released, so prior to that, the Northwood was king. I mean how many times have we seen this, where AMD can only match vs dethrone an existing dominate chip? Lately they can't even match.

They are also comparing an AMD CPU clocked at 1.6GHz to an Intel CPU clocked at 2.2GHz.

Also, I augmented my prior post to respond to another of your posts.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Malarkey? It's truth. Durons and Semprons outperformed P4 Northwood at lower cost.

P4 Northwood were popular because Intel was more mainstream had a stranglehold. They used to force retailers to push their inferior products and punish manufacturers for using AMD parts.

Anyways I'm talking raw performance here, not heat. Mr Subject Changer.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Malarkey? It's truth. Durons and Semprons outperformed P4 Northwood at lower cost.

Again, if you're talking same time frame, same price point single cores that are significantly faster at gaming as has been implied, post up benches from legit sites, and I'll eat my hat, but so far you're just tootin your horn.

All I've seen thus far is a link to a bench that admits AMD's answer was at best equal to it.