• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Catalyst 12.7 BETA

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I've been using ATI hardware since forever (the last nVidia card I had was a 32mb Geforce MX 2 around 2002) and my take on this is just a huge facepalm as to why it took so long for them to do this.

There was nothing stopping them from releasing Beta drivers on Day 1 for the hottest games except themselves. If their pursuit for WHQL signing at all costs was an internal policy for the satisfaction of bureaucracy, thus costing them negative PR with their technical savvy customers by keeping them waiting for headache-minimized gaming performance, then they have no one to blame but themselves and are reaping what they've sown if people switched to nVidia.

Only with BF3 did I actually see a concerted effort to make top performance availability to their customers a priority over rigid WHQL lockstepping, and imho that's long overdue for such a 'groundbreaking' concept. When you don't respect those of your customers who are smarter and paying more attention to you, you're asking for trouble and the resulting screams for change were there for those AMD staff with the ears to hear them. Even before the launch of Geforce.com, finding Beta nVidia drivers was never a problem as they were always front and center with the latest WHQL packages, whereas with AMD.com it was always a bit of a hunt.

Their policy change is without a doubt a good move, it's just about bloody time. :shadedshu

New driver team. I gotta say these 12.7's are doing great for me. Hopefully they keep them coming. :)

Can't seam to find it anymore but I read that the 12.6 drivers had a Known Issue of Blocky corruption when playback on video in Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center.

Anyone know if thats been fixed in 12.7 ?

Out of curiosity.

I brought home a 7870 to see for myself and sure enough its there on some video formats. 12.7 is little better than 12.6 in that reguard.

I havent had a AMD/ATI card to mess around with for a long time, more than 7 years.

One thing that immediately made me pleased was the color depiction. :eek: Dam,the colors just look so much better than all my Nvidias.

Now I got to see how high the core clock goes on this thing.:)

Narrowed it down between 1195-1175 core clock

Is it possible to add a ramp-up speed (ala fan graph) to control the fan speed. Other then the set speed in the Overdrive ?

63c isnt high but the cooler the better and the fan is only at 45%. I dont mind a little noise aslong as its not constant. It be nice to be able to control fan speeds at temps.