• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Comments on EC Ruling that Intel Violated EU Law, Harmed Consumers

Am I the only one that thinks Hector was AMD's ruin? He came into the company while it was making plenty of money during the A64 days (despite Intel's illegal OEM dealings), and then sat there and collected a paycheck. Core 2 came out and AMD had nothing, nada, to compete. The transition from 939 to AM2 was pathetic. This was the man who ruined Motorola's CPU business, and then they put him in charge of AMD.

Like I've said in other threads, Intel engaged in illegal business practices to prevent OEM manufacturers from offering AMD based solutions, and therefore they deserve the fine. However, AMD also deserves to be on the bottom right now for making a poor choice in leadership that resulted in a serious lag in R&D that they still haven't managed to overcome. Netburst/P4 was crap and AMD was superior, there's no denying. But while A64's were flying off the shelf from the enthusiast market, AMD sat around feeling good about itself while Intel was developing Core 2.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Shadin said:
Am I the only one that thinks Hector was AMD's ruin? He came into the company while it was making plenty of money during the A64 days (despite Intel's illegal OEM dealings), and then sat there and collected a paycheck. Core 2 came out and AMD had nothing, nada, to compete. The transition from 939 to AM2 was pathetic. This was the man who ruined Motorola's CPU business, and then they put him in charge of AMD.

Like I've said in other threads, Intel engaged in illegal business practices to prevent OEM manufacturers from offering AMD based solutions, and therefore they deserve the fine. However, AMD also deserves to be on the bottom right now for making a poor choice in leadership that resulted in a serious lag in R&D that they still haven't managed to overcome. Netburst/P4 was crap and AMD was superior, there's no denying. But while A64's were flying off the shelf from the enthusiast market, AMD sat around feeling good about itself while Intel was developing Core 2.

100% agreed. AMD were hopelessly, foolishly naive to believe that K8 was going to dominate forever and Intel was going to do nothing. At the time when they should have been extending their lead in the CPU market by innovating further, they were sitting on their hands and watching the money roll in. Then Core 2 arrived and the lead that AMD had was erased overnight... unless Intel gets complacent again, or Bulldozer/Fusion is as good as it's claimed, I honestly don't see AMD ever dominating in the CPU market again.

Intel is far from blameless, but AMD's constant search for a scapegoat to explain their problems - as opposed to facing up to, and admitting, that their problems are their own - is really starting to get tiring.

BTW, snakeoil and fullinfusion? Nice trolling, pity your "arguments" have very little of substance in them. Oh, and just in case you didn't realise, AMD fanboi-ism is not substance, mkay.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
BTW, snakeoil and fullinfusion? Nice trolling, pity your "arguments" have very little of substance in them. Oh, and just in case you didn't realise, AMD fanboi-ism is not substance, mkay.

try not to call out people like that i don't want to see someone banned for a stupid comment

oh and hypertransport isn't exactly new either its from 2001

I don't think Athlon XP's had hypertransport

Athlon 64 (K8) came out in 2003

Hypertransport has gotten faster since then though. It's Hypertransport 3.0 now, and runs at a much higher speed than 1.0

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I don't think Athlon XP's had hypertransport

Athlon 64 (K8) came out in 2003

Hypertransport has gotten faster since then though. It's Hypertransport 3.0 now, and runs at a much higher speed than 1.0

athlon XP still used a FSB however the technology behind HT was implemented in transmeta chips in 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertransport