• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Confirms "Zen 3" with 64 MB 3DV Cache for Q1-2022, "Zen 4" Later, PCIe Gen5 + DDR5

I expect four E cores to be able to process more instructions per seconds than one P core, possibly at lower power consumption, while taking up the same chip area.
This is why we need testing. I suspect that 4 e-cores will be able to do a bit better than 1 p-core, but only just. The rumor is that one e-core has the same performance as one old Core2 Conroe core, which would not be shabby. If this is true, then Intel might be on to something because a Core2Quad can Windows 11 smoothly all by itself. And with the new i5 you add 6 p-core on top of that and you have the potential for something really interesting. And with the i7 you double those 4 e-cores and add 8 p-cores, then you're talking potential for something game-changing, without breaking anyone's bank..

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Dont tell things that im not write and say. Ignored :laugh: :kookoo:
Noice, you wrote things no one understands the point of.

As for the shit posting above @lexluthermiester

There's a thread for that, never mind Ahhzz will nuke the shit out of alll.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
This is why we need testing. I suspect that 4 e-cores will be able to do a bit better than 1 p-core, but only just. The rumor is that one e-core has the same performance as one old Core2 Conroe core, which would not be shabby. If this is true, then Intel might be on to something because a Core2Quad can Windows 11 smoothly all by itself. And with the new i5 you add 6 p-core on top of that and you have the potential for something really interesting. And with the i7 you double those 4 e-cores and add 8 p-cores, then you're talking potential for something game-changing, without breaking anyone's bank..

The 2c 8c design actually looked most interesting if Intel made that unlocked for both core types as like a Pentium Gold style chip it would probably be good affordable option. I can see pushing 2 of those P cores to 5.2/5.3GHz at lot more readily and easily than 8 of them. I actually think Intel should've gone further on the little cores a 2c 16c design probably could've been feasible or at least a 3c 12c design. We won't know the full extent and capability until independent benchmarks have a chance to experiment with the hardware further. If the little cores aren't more efficient it would be the most counterintuitive architecture design since Bulldozer.

The 2c 8c design actually looked most interesting if Intel made that unlocked for both core types as like a Pentium Gold style chip it would probably be good affordable option. I can see pushing 2 of those P cores to 5.2/5.3GHz at lot more readily and easily than 8 of them. I actually think Intel should've gone further on the little cores a 2c 16c design probably could've been feasible or at least a 3c 12c design. We won't know the full extent and capability until independent benchmarks have a chance to experiment with the hardware further. If the little cores aren't more efficient it would be the most counterintuitive architecture design since Bulldozer.
Ah, but if AMD wanted to do the big/little thing with VCache, they could lean on the fact that each CPU already has room for multiple dies and they could do 8 Ryzen cores on one die connected to the CCX and a die with 8 Zambezi cores connected to the CCX through the other die connection. The Zambezi cores were decently power efficient for their time and would be drastically more so now on 7nm. All they'd need to do is recycle/retool the die design, change the power profile and BAM, BOB's your uncle!

Last edited:
The mixed chip approach will get better in time especially as the OS evolves and is better at leveraging the hardware approach. I can see plenty of options for AMD with how they could approach it. It's only a matter of time before AMD similarly adopts big little especially if Intel has struck a delicate balance with it some positive results.

We've already seen plenty that it works for mobile and that a market that AMD hasn't tapped into aggressively enough at the same time. I think it's probably something AMD would start with on the mobile side and later adapt to the desktop after a trial run with mobile platform for a architecture revision or two to iron out some of the quirks with it.

The mixed chip approach will get better in time especially as the OS evolves and is better at leveraging the hardware approach. I can see plenty of options for AMD with how they could approach it. It's only a matter of time before AMD similarly adopts big little especially if Intel has struck a delicate balance with it some positive results.

We've already seen plenty that it works for mobile and that a market that AMD hasn't tapped into aggressively enough at the same time. I think it's probably something AMD would start with on the mobile side and later adapt to the desktop after a trial run with mobile platform for a architecture revision or two to iron out some of the quirks with it.

I don't think it's about if it will get better or not, it's about do we need it? On a regular desktop, there's a couple services that can "benefit" from having a low power core to them, but otherwise what do we need efficiency core for, to constantly run the ads algorithms?

Notch filters are awesome that's why. If I have to explain that further you don't get it.

This is one thing that annoys me with AMD. Cool now I can sell my less than a year old parts at a loss to have the latest and greatest :nutkick:
So youre saying its ok when Intel does it with Rocket Lake and Alder Lake but not AMD.

At least you can get an upgrade with drop in 3D V cache. Rocket Lake people are screwed after only 6 months!

System Name Ryzen experimental tuf build
Processor 3700x
Motherboard x370 crosshair VI hero
Cooling cooler master aio
Memory teamgroup 16 gb ddr4 3200 mhz
Video Card(s) msi gtx 1060 oc 2100 core 9000 mhz memory
Storage 120 gb ssd 120gb nvme 3tb hdd
Display(s) 19in dell
Case fractal desing node 804
Audio Device(s) intergraded
Power Supply seasonic 750fm focus gold
Mouse logitech m320
Keyboard corsair k65 rgb rapidfire
Software win 10 pro,kaspersky total,primo cache and others
Benchmark Scores cinebench r20 495 single core 4702 multithread cpu z single core 525 multicore 5484.6
as a x570 owner i will try the zen 3 + as a upgrade to the zen 2 3700x i got should be a good upgrade.

as a x570 owner i will try the zen 3 + as a upgrade to the zen 2 3700x i got should be a good upgrade.
I will probly give it a go too.
They say on average it's approx 15% better for gaming. Will wait for some reviews first but ... to see how much it helps. Maybe even switch up with more cores from my 5600x.