• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Cuts Down Ryzen 7000 "Zen 4" Production As Demand Drops Like a Rock

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD reportedly scaled down production of its Ryzen 7000 series desktop processors in response to bleak demand across the PC hardware industry. Wccftech claims to have read an internal company document calling for reduced supply to the channel as market response to the Ryzen 7000-series is weak. This comes hot on the heels of AMD revising its Q3-2022 forecast, trimming its guidance by a $1 billion drop in revenue, citing weak demand in the PC market. However, we are seeing no deviation from the launch pricing for Ryzen 7000-series SKUs or compatible Socket AM5 motherboards. The platform went on sale from late September, on the same day that Intel announced its competing 13th Gen Core "Raptor Lake" processors. The new Intel chips are expected to start selling from a little later this month.

Unlike 13th Gen Core processors, Ryzen 7000 series processors appear to be a victim of the platform—notwithstanding the high pricing of the processors, which start at $299 for the 6-core 7600X, buyers lack access to affordable motherboards, and have to contend with expensive DDR5 memory. Pricing of cheaper LGA1700 motherboards based on entry-level H610 and B660 chipsets with cost-effective DDR4 memory support have added depth to consumer choice, besides Intel's 12th Gen range starting from under $150.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Lisa Su if you read this: Integrated graphics wasn't the answer, Intel already has that market, and you have APU's, you should have simply made a budget APU and marketed that to businesses directly. We want the 7800X3D. We would have all given you our money if you had done this on launch day. Saving it for next year was a mistake, because many of us have the upgrade itch and will probably go with Raptor Lake if the price is right at the 6 and 8 core model ranges (the 95 celsius thing will turn away casual users). I personally want a F model Intel, because integrated graphics have given me trouble in high refresh gaming in the past.

Sigh. six figure employees these companies have, and it takes some history major to give them the answer.

Lisa Su if you read this: Integrated graphics wasn't the answer, Intel already has that market, and you have APU's, you should have simply made a budget APU and marketed that to businesses directly. We want the 7800X3D. We would have all given you our money if you had done this on launch day. Saving it for next year was a mistake, because many of us have the upgrade itch and will probably go with Raptor Lake if the price is right at the 6 and 8 core model ranges. I personally want a F model Intel, because integrated graphics have given me trouble in high refresh gaming in the past.

Sigh. six figure employees these companies have, and it takes some history major to give them the answer.

When the 5800x3D beats/equals the 7950x is most gaming benchmarks and AMD themselves already teased 3D cache versions of zen4 why would anyone jump to upgrade right now when the entire platform is so overpriced?

They kind of did this to themselves really

Space Lynx

Astronaut
When the 5800x3D beats/equals the 7950x is most gaming benchmarks and AMD themselves already teased 3D cache versions of zen4 why would anyone jump to upgrade right now when the entire platform is so overpriced?

They kind of did this to themselves really

No argument here. AMD made a misstep this round, they can change their future though if they take that TSMC time they had allocated for CPU's and switch it over to RDNA3 production, RDNA3 will sell out on day 1, even if its only a 20% gain in raw fps over 6800 XT. Lot of people are ready to upgrade, and don't want to drop $1600 to do so.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Is it AMD or the board vendors? The CPUs are pricey but the boards are the mitigating factor in the equation. Especially when AM4 boards are so inexpensive in comparison. The CPUs are impressive but not at $500 Canadian for a B650. Even DDR5 is not that expensive today.

Ofcourse this would happen.

Everything about this platform is expensive, and the choices are PLENTY but expensive, too plenty and too expensive. Reduce your chipsets, make them 3 like before, A---- and B---- and X---- Why add an E to motherboards? fuckin motherboards of all things.

Reduce your CPUs by a 100$, tell your partners to make motherboards that can run the 7900X without issues at ~150$, and pray that ram prices continue to drop.

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
ridiculous mobo prices + having to upgrade to ddr5 + only 20% (at best, 12% on average lol) performance increase over 5000 series = you've got a nasty combination of "this shit just isn't fucking worth it" - upgraded from 3000 series to 5000 series; got a really nice bump in gaming performance (what I was after) and had to only buy the CPU itself - more than enough to last me at least 3 DDR5 CPU generations, by then it'll actually be worth it, lol

Lisa Su if you read this: Integrated graphics wasn't the answer, Intel already has that market, and you have APU's, you should have simply made a budget APU and marketed that to businesses directly. We want the 7800X3D. We would have all given you our money if you had done this on launch day. Saving it for next year was a mistake, because many of us have the upgrade itch and will probably go with Raptor Lake if the price is right at the 6 and 8 core model ranges (the 95 celsius thing will turn away casual users). I personally want a F model Intel, because integrated graphics have given me trouble in high refresh gaming in the past.

What you want is irrelevant. The response to the inclusion of an iGPU has been almost universally positive based on what I've read. People like to have one for emergencies and troubleshooting. It was something complained about since the first generation of Ryzen. The idea that its inclusion is the cause of the high platform price or poor sales is also complete dreck.

Processor i5 3570K @ 5GHz (1.32V) - de-lid
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extrem 4
Cooling Prolimatech Genesis (3x Thermalright TY-141 PWM) - direct die
Memory 2x 4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G (Alpenföhn Peter + 2x Noctua NF-A12) @1547 Mhz Core / 2000 MHz Mem
Storage 500GB Crucial MX500 / 4 TB Seagate - BarraCuda
Case IT-9001 Smasher -modified with a 140mm top exhaust
Audio Device(s) AKG K240 Studio
Power Supply be quiet! E9 Straight Power 600W
Imagine reducing prices to increase demand, lol !
Nah! Nobody wants to let go of those juicy profits from recent years. World economy in large parts is going into a recession and some even in a depression. But they still want to continue to surf that all-time high…

One might think buyers are waiting for Intel 13th gen and Ryzen X3D SKU's to get the best bang for their money, given future prospects.

Nah! Nobody wants to let go of those juicy profits from recent years. World economy in large parts is going into a recession and some even in a depression. But they still want to continue to surf that all-time high…

One might think buyers are waiting for Intel 13th gen and Ryzen X3D SKU's to get the best bang for their money, given future prospects.
Or they're just upgrading whatever they have on AM4 :nutkick:

One of the perks of having such a long living socket!

Everything about this platform is expensive, and the choices are PLENTY but expensive, too plenty and too expensive. Reduce your chipsets, make them 3 like before, A---- and B---- and X---- Why add an E to motherboards? fuckin motherboards of all things.
In fact, there are just three chipsets A, B and X. The E means that mainboard has a few layers of PCB more and is capable to run at PCIe 5.0 speeds. Motherboards without E are expensive. Motherboards with E are very expensive.

Agreed, pricing too high ... but maybe the biggest factor is many have only just upgraded kit during the boredom of the pandemic and are now going back to full time work.

In fact, there are just three chipsets A, B and X. The E means that mainboard has a few layers of PCB more and is capable to run at PCIe 5.0 speeds. Motherboards without E are expensive. Motherboards with E are very expensive.
PCIe 5.0 was always going to be expensive, probably same goes for the "longevity" of AM5 ~ wanna but cheap go AM4, or just stick to Intel & change motherboards next year :laugh:

Buy AM4 platform on a budget. Buy AM5 if you have the money.

I for one will build a brand new PC from the ground up buy I’m waiting for as many CPUs and GPUs to come out before Xmas. I want to see my options before starting to buy components for the build.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
Low End CPU's are overpriced

Marketing fuckup not holding back lower end CPU's to launch with B series boards

Poor availability of EXPO

And lastly

Not having vCache parts available from the start (segment your market by having X parts with vCache, non X without)

Not rocket science AMD, but apparently you wanted that arrow to the knee.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
What you want is irrelevant. The response to the inclusion of an iGPU has been almost universally positive based on what I've read. People like to have one for emergencies and troubleshooting. It was something complained about since the first generation of Ryzen. The idea that its inclusion is the cause of the high platform price or poor sales is also complete dreck.

well AMD stock is tanking, and Intel stock is rising, and I was going to buy AMD before the integrated graphics, but now am buying Raptor Lake, so I guess Intel's model of giving the customer options instead of forcing one way or the other is working. who knew business was so easy?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
They will not lower the prices unless they know that they can eat the cost. Zen 4, just like 12 & 13 series from Intel, needs to convince the people somehow that they need/have to update their entire platforms. In case of AMD this means:
- expensive cpu
- expensive motherboard
- expensive ram
Sometimes it also means stepping up the cooling system.

This combined with inflation raging across the world might be the reason why people are not eager to jump on the next best thing.

I don't see how somehow magically this will not apply to RDNA3. AMD probably still has plenty of leftover RDNA2 cards left to sell (6900xts go for as low as €750), unless they plan to cannibalize it with launch of next gen then new cards won't be any cheaper.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
It's because when Zen 3 was introduced there was nothing competing with it -- it was a drop in upgrade that literally nothing else could touch with very little platform cost (apart from hassle of flashing bios) and fighting off the scalpers to get one.

Zen 4 isn't dominating Zen3 X3D and Alder Lake the way Zen 3 did its competitors - and we didn't know about Zen 3 X3D. We all know Zen 4 X3D is coming along with cheaper mobos and cheaper ddr5 in a matter of a few months... you would have to be absolutely desperate or clueless to buy this current line.

This was just a product strategy fail from AMD - they tried to recreate the Zen 3 launch not acknowledging that the environment changed and Zen 4 non V Cache just isn't a good product in the current environment.

Low quality post by GunShot
Cracking Up Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Uh-huh!

ridiculous mobo prices + having to upgrade to ddr5 + only 20% (at best, 12% on average lol) performance increase over 5000 series = you've got a nasty combination of "this shit just isn't fucking worth it" - upgraded from 3000 series to 5000 series; got a really nice bump in gaming performance (what I was after) and had to only buy the CPU itself - more than enough to last me at least 3 DDR5 CPU generations, by then it'll actually be worth it, lol
You know you have the option to not upgrade right? Nobody says you need to upgrade your CPU each generation.

In my opinion, the pricing is a problem, there is no doubt about it. But the high launch price was also true for Ryzen 5000 Series. The 500 series chipset wasn’t cheap at launch, and with shortages, memory prices were also on the high side. The wider issue is that economy is tanking and cost of living skyrocketing, every company will feel the pain. It’s not just an AMD problem because the likes of Apple, Nvidia and Intel, etc, will likely also see demand plunge as well.