• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX-8350 - "Piledriver" for AMD Socket AM3+

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI Gaming M7 AC
Cooling AlphaCool Eisbaer 360
Memory G. Skill Trident X DDR4 8GBx2 (16 GB) 4266mhz dimms
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 512GB Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive,500 GB Samsung 860 EVO ssd, 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Samsung 28 inch 4k Freesync monitor
Case ThermalTake V71 Full tower gaming case
Power Supply Corsair 1200 watt HX Platinum PSU
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Das tactile mechanical gaming keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 15 64 bit Open GL 146.7 FPS Cinebench 15 CPU 1958 at 4.25 GHZ Priority set to real-time
Most if not all Socket AM3+ boards can disable modules. What I am looking for is the ability to disables individual cores within modules. I want to bench 4 cores via 4 modules versus 2 modules w/ 4 cores. The problem is so far beta bioses have this ability, but are not 100% optimised or stable.

I believe the 4 cores via 4 modules would outperform 4 cores via 2 modules especially with Piledriver CPU's.

Interesting theory. Hopefully somebody will find a way to do this and still maintain stability. I can understand why you woit would perform better. Each core would have the full cache and decoder to itself, instead of sharing it with its twin.

Storage 512GB Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive,500 GB Samsung 860 EVO ssd, 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 15 64 bit Open GL 146.7 FPS Cinebench 15 CPU 1958 at 4.25 GHZ Priority set to real-time
Most if not all Socket AM3+ boards can disable modules. What I am looking for is the ability to disables individual cores within modules. I want to bench 4 cores via 4 modules versus 2 modules w/ 4 cores. The problem is so far beta bioses have this ability, but are not 100% optimised or stable.

I believe the 4 cores via 4 modules would outperform 4 cores via 2 modules especially with Piledriver CPU's.

Nice theory and undoubtedly true if it is possible to isolate one core in each module. Let me know if progress is made on that front.

Software Windows 10 Pro
For BD (like I specifically mentioned).

I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong), not all boards with Vishera/PD in them can do that yet??? BIOS updates are needed on some boards. I read that in one of the 8GHz articles IIRC.

Certainly on all 990 FX motherboards one has that ability.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
And still isn't a very smart line of thought, either, just like with BD. If you want Phenom II, go buy Phenom II.
Monetarily speaking you are spot on.

Certainly on all 990 FX motherboards one has that ability.
Perhaps. Im not sure what board was used in the article... I just know they could not disable cores on w/e board they were using for w/e reason.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'll never understand why people buy new stuff, and then complain that it's not like the old stuff. Being different is what makes it new. Trying to change it into the old stuff...when you already had the old stuff...man...I'll never understand.

And yes, I was speaking from a financial perspective.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Me either... nostalgia perhaps? Trying to get that IPC feeling back again? :p

OSwiz - double posting machine, LOL!

Software Windows 10 Pro
Not a theory... a practice. This was done with BD. ;)

How could it have been done,when the bios doesn't permit you to activate only 1 core per module?
Unless you are referring to some modded bios that proved to be unstable.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
How could it have been done,when the bios doesn't permit you to activate only 1 core per module?
Unless you are referring to some modded bios that proved to be unstable.

I'm fairly sure that the Assus Crosshair allowed that. I thing that [H] ran some tests with 1 core per module activated and they used that motherboard if I recall correctly.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm fairly sure that the Assus Crosshair allowed that. I thing that [H] ran some tests with 1 core per module activated and they used that motherboard if I recall correctly.

No not correct. I have an Asus Crosshairs V and you can turn on and off modules , Not individual cores.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No not correct. I have an Asus Crosshairs V and you can turn on and off modules , Not individual cores.

There was a special BIOS for doing this. I don't mean to be rude here, but google is your friend on this one, for sure.

I did not review the BD CPUs, I actually assembled a package by buying all the parts separately, but ending up with the same review kit as all those other guys and gals got.

I tried the whole core-in-module-disable. was one BIOS only. Was it slightly faster? Sure. But then you lost out on the whole idea of these chips, which is many mores, not a quad-core.

Software Windows 10 Pro
There was a special BIOS for doing this. I don't mean to be rude here, but google is your friend on this one, for sure.

I did not review the BD CPUs, I actually assembled a package by buying all the parts separately, but ending up with the same review kit as all those other guys and gals got.

I tried the whole core-in-module-disable. was one BIOS only. Was it slightly faster? Sure. But then you lost out on the whole idea of these chips, which is many mores, not a quad-core.

Yes, I never thought it would be good as an overall solution, but in some instances it may have delivered better single thread performance. I knew it had to be a modded bios. I had installed all the official and some beta builds an none of them actually provided that capability. I enjoy mild experimentation, but I have NOT the patience or money to be on the bleeding edge all the time. I enjoy your posts. They are intelligent, witty, and sometimes humorous, and sometimes with a edge of sublime sarcasm. Your technical knowledge is well beyond mine as are many here , who probably work in the industry in some fashion. I feel I learn , sometimes by listening to you all, and sometimes by arguing what I think is right , even if it is not wholly correct. I have never been afraid to express myself. I hate to be in a world where people are not free to express ourselves, such as in the despotic work place, where those who toil are treated like drones with nothing to contribute. Despotism MUST be crushed when it oppresses the multitudes as it is doing now globally. Enough said on this score.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes, I never thought it would be good as an overall solution, but in some instances it may have delivered better single thread performance. I knew it had to be a modded bios. I had installed all the official and some beta builds an none of them actually provided that capability.

Modded by ASUS staff.

I enjoy mild experimentation, but I have NOT the patience or money to be on the bleeding edge all the time.

That's what got me into doing this in the first place. I have an extra amount of time right now, planned extra time, so doing hardware reviews and playing with hardware in general was just what I had set out to do.

Actually getting into it though, was hard, and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time...and W1zz gave me a chance.

I enjoy your posts. They are intelligent, witty, and sometimes humorous, and sometimes with a edge of sublime sarcasm. Your technical knowledge is well beyond mine as are many here , who probably work in the industry in some fashion.

Thanks. Really, I don't know much more than anyone else. I do, however, play with a lot of hardware, and always have. Overclocking memory and playing with timings has always been my thing than I enjoyed out of this hobby, and then going sub-zero for cooling opened a whole new realm of possibilities...expensive ones. :p That didn't last long.

I do not work for anyone in the industry, period. I do home exterior refinishing, vinyl siding actually, but live in Canada, where vinyl can only be installed about 8 months out of the year. I work for myself, get paid according to the work I do, and then take the winter off. Needing/wanting extra money in the winter lead to me doing many other things, but siding is what I do. I'm gonna go back to school soon though, so I can do HVAC in the winter. I enjoy working on people's homes and such too much, making people's visions reality...

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I have 4 kids, my wife has a pretty successful executive/engineering career, and childcare is expensive, so the past 2 years, and one year more, I've been home full time caring for my kids...it's been like one long long winter.

I can't sit around and do nothing, so doing reviews works well for me. And I get to share my experiences, I get some info for the companies that make this stuff, and then get to relate that back at you guys. I put my own spin on motherboard reviews, showing what's really what on the board's surface, but really ,anyone with a small bit of knowledge on what numbers to google can do just the same as I do. It's just research, really, and isn't something I personally see as any real skill. It takes time, and I have a lot of that.

I'm just happy I can do something useful with my time. :p No thanks needed. :laugh:

The only advantage I have, really, is all this time. Unfortunately, that time has now itself come up short...I'm just simply getting too many product samples, and end up doing nothing but reviews.:p

But the more samples I get...the more I learn. Really, I'm learning just as much as you are :laugh: ;)

Software Windows 10 Pro
Struggle with Struggle Against

Modded by ASUS staff.

"That's what got me into doing this in the first place. I have an extra amount of time right now, planned extra time, so doing hardware reviews and playing with hardware in general was just what I had set out to do.

Actually getting into it though, was hard, and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time...and W1zz gave me a chance"

I do not work for anyone in the industry, period. I do home exterior refinishing, vinyl siding actually, but live in Canada, where vinyl can only be installed about 8 months out of the year. I work for myself, get paid according to the work I do, and then take the winter off. Needing/wanting extra money in the winter lead to me doing many other things, but siding is what I do. I'm gonna go back to school soon though, so I can do HVAC in the winter. I enjoy working on people's homes and such too much, making people's visions reality...

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I have 4 kids, my wife has a pretty successful executive/engineering career, and childcare is expensive, so the past 2 years, and one year more, I've been home full time caring for my kids...it's been like one long long winter.

I can't sit around and do nothing, so doing reviews works well for me. And I get to share my experiences, I get some info for the companies that make this stuff, and then get to relate that back at you guys. I put my own spin on motherboard reviews, showing what's really what on the board's surface, but really ,anyone with a small bit of knowledge on what numbers to google can do just the same as I do. It's just research, really, and isn't something I personally see as any real skill. It takes time, and I have a lot of that.

I'm just happy I can do something useful with my time. :p No thanks needed. :laugh:

But the more samples I get...the more I learn. Really, I'm learning just as much as you are :laugh: ;)

Time is not an issue for me, I am retired as of May. So I enjoy some finageling but I do have my limits. When it gets a little hairy for me, my stress levels go up and I have to pull back. Bad heart. I like to stretch my mind . I love the learning-teaching aspect of life and this is just a small piece of the grander scheme of things .

I worked 32 years as diagnostic medical sonographer (ultrasound tech). I enjoyed the work, my co-workers, and the patients. Come from the working class, though I am formally educated, and have no personal ambition to be rich, just be comfortable in an unassuming way. I use every opportunity to engage people in discussion, whether it is science, computers, politics, or organizing to change the world. I love the ride of life and have an imdominatable spirit.

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
The new FX processors were on TR's podcast, and an interesting point raised was that while the TDP differences suggests a 48W gap between Intel and AMD, in actual practice the measured difference at the wall was about 100W.

That's HUGE, especially if you're running your computer 24/7 for one reason or another (servers, folding nuts, etc). 100W 24/7 at 15c per kWh is $11 a month in electricity. That's $130+ a year or roughly the difference in platform cost compared to an Ivy Bridge i7; if you keep your rig for 2 years an Ivy i7 actually ends up being cheaper to own+operate.

Where I live, the applied electricity rate is actually close to 30c per kWh, so that's a whopping $260 difference in electricity alone for just one year. It actually makes running an FX processor a rather silly option for me.

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
The new FX processors were on TR's podcast, and an interesting point raised was that while the TDP differences suggests a 48W gap between Intel and AMD, in actual practice the measured difference at the wall was about 100W.

That's HUGE, especially if you're running your computer 24/7 for one reason or another (servers, folding nuts, etc). 100W 24/7 at 15c per kWh is $11 a month in electricity. That's $130+ a year or roughly the difference in platform cost compared to an Ivy Bridge i7; if you keep your rig for 2 years an Ivy i7 actually ends up being cheaper to own+operate.

Where I live, the applied electricity rate is actually close to 30c per kWh, so that's a whopping $260 difference in electricity alone for just one year. It actually makes running an FX processor a rather silly option for me.

Depends on the server farm as to if they even care. Thing is as we sit AMD offers more threads per board. That does matter not to mention in those specific scenario's AMD typically performs better.

Software Windows 10 Pro

Actually if you are not running a 24/7 business and are essentially using your computer only for defined tasks, the best way to compute usage would be watts/computation. That would the most efficient method of energy useage.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I'll never understand why people buy new stuff, and then complain that it's not like the old stuff. Being different is what makes it new. Trying to change it into the old stuff...when you already had the old stuff...man...I'll never understand.

And yes, I was speaking from a financial perspective.
I think you misunderstood my point, it was and still is pure curiosity that I would like to perform this comparison. AMD speaks highly of this sharing within its new unique design.

Personally if disabling 1 core per module proves to be a better performer, I would still keep it running at all 8-cores :D

Now last I heard its all up to the board and bios. Currently not possible on the Crosshair V Formula unless you use a hacked bios.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I think you misunderstood my point, it was and still is pure curiosity that I would like to perform this comparison. AMD speaks highly of this sharing within its new unique design.

Personally if disabling 1 core per module proves to be a better performer, I would still keep it running at all 8-cores :D

Now last I heard its all up to the board and bios. Currently not possible on the Crosshair V Formula unless you use a hacked bios.

Correctamon, Gaston!

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10

It was tested on Bulldozer and it did result in slightly higher performance--because there was no bottleneck at the scheduler.

Software Windows 10 Pro
[page=Introduction]

I just got my CPU today FX-8350. The batch number is 1236 PGN. Does any one know if this is one of the better batches that overclock better?

I live in NY the chip was shipped 2nd day UPS air last Friday. Because of the hurricane and 2 days of UPS incompetence I got it a week later. I have had numerous problems in the last few months with UPS. Apparently they are having a major mid to lower level management change with forced retirements. They are losing key know ledgeable personnel. Now there are many cases of items being put on the wrong trucks sometimes going to the wrong state for a local delivery. It is sad. Par for the course for US business. ,They are so fixated on short-tern profits they are destroying good businesses and millions of workers lives.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Considering this only launched recently we dont know, why not compare it to the Chinaman that OCd to 8.1 GHz on all 8 cores

[page=Introduction]

I just got my CPU today FX-8350. The batch number is 1236 PGN. Does any one know if this is one of the better batches that overclock better?

I live in NY the chip was shipped 2nd day UPS air last Friday. Because of the hurricane and 2 days of UPS incompetence I got it a week later. I have had numerous problems in the last few months with UPS. Apparently they are having a major mid to lower level management change with forced retirements. They are losing key know ledgeable personnel. Now there are many cases of items being put on the wrong trucks sometimes going to the wrong state for a local delivery. It is sad. Par for the course for US business. ,They are so fixated on short-tern profits they are destroying good businesses and millions of workers lives.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I hope that was a joke. I have a Corsair H100 lying here ready for installation with the cpu, not a LN2 setup.. I am having installation Monday when the power supply unit is supposed to arrive. I think 4.8 GHZ is my likely target.