• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX "Vishera" Processors Launch Pricing Surprises

System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
Makes for a very tempting upgrade! Just wish there were some AM3+ mITX boards as I could trickle down my FX8120 to the wife. Without one available I'll probably just keep what I have (overclock it so it feels like an upgrade, new GPU) and get her an i3.

I know, you could trickle it down to me! :roll: :slap:

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Guys, please stop it with the SuperPi as it has no practical use.

Most demanding work for my cpu is handbrake and of course games, although most games hardly use more than 2 cores so ... they are not so demanding on the cpu.

I think these cpu's will be pretty nice, if priced apropriatly.
Isnt Super Pi CPU math intensive...

And no disrespect, but are you reading the thread? The pricing is listed.

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
If that was true the FX-8350 would be launching under $100.
$200 / 2 = $100
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/FX8150/images/superpi.gif
Lest we forget an industry standard benchmark. :roll:
(PhysX 2.x = x87 on CPUs)
Higher leakage means the nodes are inefficient so more power is wasted and converted to heat. Higher voltages mean more heat and lower voltages mean less heat. With that in mind having a high leakage part run at a high voltage is counter-productive.

SuperPi is single threaded. Post Wprime and lets see what happens :)

Processor Intel Core I7 4820K 4.6GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Corsair H90
Memory 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 4G Gaming GTX 970 SLi
Storage Intel SSD 320 Series 120GB, 1 Samsung EVO 1TB, 1 Samsung EVO 750GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2720T 120hz
Case Fractal Design RL2
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1300 Watt G2
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
hmm interesting. cant wait to see performance numbers. feeling that itch to upgrade my cpu...

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Why so cheap is what Im asking! could it be another flop of a cpu? and AMD just blowing these out the door before there rumoured closing :rolleyes:

System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
Maybe theyre hoping that if its cheap enough they'll sell a few million and make some money

Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805
FX-8350 here I come....FX-6300 for my lil bro

yea the price is about right, while the 8350 is most likely superior to the 3570k in multithread, in single thread wont keep up, trinity didnt have a problem with the i3s because they are clocked lower than the i5s/i7s, so trinity would scale to compete, but with vishera it got to a dead end in terms of frequency.
but with that stock clock speed multi-thread performance should be close if not better than 3770k

Processor Xeon E3 1230 V2
Motherboard ASRock B75M-ITX
Cooling Corsair H40
Memory 2X8GB 1600MHZ DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX960 4GB
Storage Sandisk 480GB SSD plus a few HDDs
Display(s) Dell UP2516D
Case Cubitek Mini-Cube
Power Supply Corsair SF 450
Mouse Logitech G15
Keyboard Cooler Master Quick Fire TK
Isnt Super Pi CPU math intensive...

And no disrespect, but are you reading the thread? The pricing is listed.

Bulldozer lacks hardware to decode x87 instructions unlike their previous cores,so it is emulated in software. TBH,only SuperPi and PhysX use it. PhysX does not run well on even Intel CPUs,when compared to running it on the graphics card, and it seems Nvidia sort of done it on purpose:

http://techreport.com/news/19216/physx-hobbled-on-the-cpu-by-x87-code

It is basically of no use to anyone.

Now, David Kanter at RealWorld Technologies has added a new twist to the story by analyzing the execution of several PhysX games using Intel's VTune profiling tool. Kanter discovered that when GPU acceleration is disabled and PhysX calculations are being handled by the CPU, the vast majority of the code being executed uses x87 floating-point math instructions rather than SSE. Here's Kanter's summation of the problem with that fact:

x87 has been deprecated for many years now, with Intel and AMD recommending the much faster SSE instructions for the last 5 years. On modern CPUs, code using SSE instructions can easily run 1.5-2X faster than similar code using x87. By using x87, PhysX diminishes the performance of CPUs, calling into question the real benefits of PhysX on a GPU.

Kanter notes that there's no technical reason not to use SSE on the PC—no need for additional mathematical precision, no justifiable requirement for x87 backward compatibility among remotely modern CPUs, no apparent technical barrier whatsoever. In fact, as he points out, Nvidia has PhysX layers that run on game consoles using the PowerPC's AltiVec instructions, which are very similar to SSE. Kanter even expects using SSE would ease development: "In the case of PhysX on the CPU, there are no significant extra costs (and frankly supporting SSE is easier than x87 anyway)."

So even single-threaded PhysX code could be roughly twice as fast as it is with very little extra effort.

Between the lack of multithreading and the predominance of x87 instructions, the PC version of Nvidia's PhysX middleware would seem to be, at best, extremely poorly optimized, and at worst, made slow through willful neglect. Nvidia, of course, is free to engage in such neglect, but there are consequences to be paid for doing so. Here's how Kanter sums it up:

The bottom line is that Nvidia is free to hobble PhysX on the CPU by using single threaded x87 code if they wish. That choice, however, does not benefit developers or consumers though, and casts substantial doubts on the purported performance advantages of running PhysX on a GPU, rather than a CPU.

Indeed. The PhysX logo is intended as a selling point for games taking full advantage of Nvidia hardware, but it now may take on a stronger meaning: intentionally slow on everything else.

Bulldozer lacks hardware to decode x87 instructions unlike their previous cores,so it is emulated in software. TBH,only SuperPi and PhysX use it. PhysX does not run well on even Intel CPUs,when compared to running it on the graphics card, and it seems Nvidia sort of done it on purpose:

http://techreport.com/news/19216/physx-hobbled-on-the-cpu-by-x87-code

It is basically of no use to anyone.

Now, David Kanter at RealWorld Technologies has added a new twist to the story by analyzing the execution of several PhysX games using Intel's VTune profiling tool. Kanter discovered that when GPU acceleration is disabled and PhysX calculations are being handled by the CPU, the vast majority of the code being executed uses x87 floating-point math instructions rather than SSE. Here's Kanter's summation of the problem with that fact:

x87 has been deprecated for many years now, with Intel and AMD recommending the much faster SSE instructions for the last 5 years. On modern CPUs, code using SSE instructions can easily run 1.5-2X faster than similar code using x87. By using x87, PhysX diminishes the performance of CPUs, calling into question the real benefits of PhysX on a GPU.

Kanter notes that there's no technical reason not to use SSE on the PC—no need for additional mathematical precision, no justifiable requirement for x87 backward compatibility among remotely modern CPUs, no apparent technical barrier whatsoever. In fact, as he points out, Nvidia has PhysX layers that run on game consoles using the PowerPC's AltiVec instructions, which are very similar to SSE. Kanter even expects using SSE would ease development: "In the case of PhysX on the CPU, there are no significant extra costs (and frankly supporting SSE is easier than x87 anyway)."

So even single-threaded PhysX code could be roughly twice as fast as it is with very little extra effort.

Between the lack of multithreading and the predominance of x87 instructions, the PC version of Nvidia's PhysX middleware would seem to be, at best, extremely poorly optimized, and at worst, made slow through willful neglect. Nvidia, of course, is free to engage in such neglect, but there are consequences to be paid for doing so. Here's how Kanter sums it up:

The bottom line is that Nvidia is free to hobble PhysX on the CPU by using single threaded x87 code if they wish. That choice, however, does not benefit developers or consumers though, and casts substantial doubts on the purported performance advantages of running PhysX on a GPU, rather than a CPU.

Indeed. The PhysX logo is intended as a selling point for games taking full advantage of Nvidia hardware, but it now may take on a stronger meaning: intentionally slow on everything else.

you know i think at this point we should start ignoring those who bring up superpi as it comes up on every other thread, though thanks for the whole insight and all

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
No company should support Nvidia's PhysX. This would force them to work with other companies such as Intel and AMD so they can develop a standardized Physics, and not this Nvidia's PhysX nonsense. I will say this once again, NVIDIA's downfall will be brought to them by there egotistical arrogance.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Higher leakage means the nodes are inefficient so more power is wasted and converted to heat. Higher voltages mean more heat and lower voltages mean less heat. With that in mind having a high leakage part run at a high voltage is counter-productive.

Intel processors are made on a Bulk process, AMD is made with FD-SOI. This is why you get different voltages.

Sorry, it was me :roll:.

x87 is still being used today because software is a decade behind hardware.

Please list a program that uses x87 that is not Super Pi. I know PhysX is x87, but other then that.....

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Now, David Kanter at RealWorld Technologies has added a new twist to the story by analyzing the execution of several PhysX games using Intel's VTune profiling tool... TL: DC
"Now" ? You get your tech updates via pony express ?
DK's analysis in mid 2010 was based on SDK 2.8.3. PhysX has been compiled using SSE2 instruction since 2.8.4 (Oct 2010 I think from memory). 3.0 introduced multithreading and SSE both as default.
You should be able to find enough documentation in the release notes, or game dev forums if you're against DL'ing pdf's.
3.2.1 I think is the current build. Apart from that, it's down to the individual developer which features are used- if older builds/x87 is used it is usually to retain compatibility for older games/engines or consoles.

Not quite sure how Bulldozer's lack of x87 ISA is overly relevant to an outdated PhysX SDK, but yeah, ok.
NVIDIA's downfall will be brought to them by there egotistical arrogance.
If you're getting buried, egotistical arrogance is a good a reason as any, and probably a lot better than fiscal naivety, lack of strategic foresight, and a lack of clear corporate goals. Might be better to be seen as arrogant than say...incompetent.

Last edited:

Hits9Nine

System Name SS Raven
Processor FX8120 @4.8ghz
Motherboard GB 990FXA UD7 rev1.1
Cooling Corsair H100 Push/pull
Memory 16gb Patriot Viper Extreme Div2 1866 4x4
Video Card(s) 3 x GTX 470 3-Way SLI oc 775/3540
Storage 6 SSD's RAID 0 Sata3 / 64gb X 6
Display(s) 3 x 27 inch Samsungs 2ms
Case SS Raven RV1
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Enermax 1250w 80+B
Software Win7 64 Prem
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks...ain't nobody got time for that!
sorry for the off topic question but is this site affiliated with overclockers.com?