1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD gains marketshare

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twilyth, Aug 5, 2011.

1. twilyth Guest

Servers stilll weak but notebook and desktops looking good.

IDC report via Trefis

[​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Hotobu

Hotobu

Thanks Received:
    I'm shocked that AMD is gaining in the notebook dept. AMD vs. Intel is a valid either or in the desktop market, but their mobile processors suck. Unless this somehow incorporates Llano into the mix I'm really surprised at this.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Didn't Llano start on the notebook segment and just recently move to the desktop side?

Edit: Just looked it up, Llano came out on the notebook side Jun 14th, with the AMD A series processors. So if Q2 includes June, I believe it does, then that is one reason, people's rush to buy the "new" product. Intel hasn't really had anything that revolutionary on the notebook side for a while.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    Im surprised they have gained in the desktop share. Everyone i know has gone to SB.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You have to remember that enthusiasts don't really control these numbers. The people buying low end pre-builts control these numbers, and for every enthusiast buying a 2500/2600K there are probably 1000 people buying the cheapest thing Best Buy has on the shelf, which recently has been machines centered around AMD. Lets face it, the cheapest dual-core current generation AMD product is $60, the cheapest current generation Intel product is $80, not a huge difference but it is to the consumer who is buying the cheapest machine they can find. To go Intel you have to go down to the C2D line(still Intel? Seriously?!) and that name is old, people fear buying anything they consider old when it comes to technology.

IMO, Intel really needs to get some lower priced SKUs in their current generation line-up if they want to get some market share back.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Besides APUs, a few notebook vendors had some low cost AMD designs earlier this year that had fairly nice GPUs. For instance, the notebook in my system specs (which originally came with an X4 P940 but upgraded with a grey market X920) was only $699 and it basically has an underclocked desktop 5570 in it. The only Intel-based notebooks I found in that price range just had an i3 or low end i5 with an NVIDIA GT 420/540 (which has a fair amount of shaders, but only has 4 ROPs). Granted, an i5 dual core would probably do some things better, but the GPU didn't seem that great compared to a MR HD 5650 (8 ROPs).

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    This is very true and sometimes i do forget this.

8. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    The Enthusiast market follows the the Server Market

Those who can't wait for AMD to release "Bulldozer" are moving to Intel