• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Introduces Radeon Pro W5500 Professional Graphics Card

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today announced the AMD Radeon Pro W5500 workstation graphics card, delivering the performance and advanced features demanded by today's Design & Manufacturing and Architecture, Engineering & Construction (AEC) professionals. AMD also announced the AMD Radeon Pro W5500M GPU, designed and optimized to power next-generation, high-performance professional mobile workstations. Today's design and engineering workforce pushes the boundaries of professional design applications. These increasingly mobile professionals often use multiple graphics-intensive applications simultaneously and require no-compromise performance to visualize, review and interact with their designs in real time.

AMD Radeon Pro W5500 graphics harness the high-performance, power-efficient AMD RDNA architecture, 7 nm process technology, high-speed GDDR6 memory, high-bandwidth PCI Express 4.0 support and advanced software features. Expanding the AMD family of high-performance professional graphics products, they offer outstanding performance in real-world applications, rock-solid stability and superb energy efficiency. In addition, the AMD Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card delivers incredible multitasking performance even in demanding situations, such as allowing professionals to continue developing their designs while rendering a visualization in the background.

"Designers and engineers require a professional graphics solution that delivers the performance and efficiency to meet today's unique challenges. Nothing is more stressful than a deadline, and AMD professional graphics keep performing when you need them most," said Scott Herkelman, corporate vice president and general manager, Radeon Technologies Group at AMD. "The AMD Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card delivers exceptional power efficiency and leadership performance for 2D and 3D design applications, enabling them to better visualize and interact with their designs in real time, explore new immersive workflows like virtual reality and maximize productivity."

The AMD Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card and the Radeon Pro W5500M GPU transform how project teams collaborate by enabling immersive, real-time visualizations of design concepts to make quick and better informed decisions. Key capabilities and features include:
  • High-Performance AMD RDNA Architecture - Features a redesigned geometry engine and compute units, delivering up to 25 percent higher performance-per-clock than the previous-generation Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.
  • Incredible Multitasking Performance - The AMD Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card delivers outstanding multitasking performance even in demanding situations, offering up to 10x better estimated application workflow performance than the competition in the SPECviewperf 13 benchmark under a multitasking load.
  • Real-World Power Efficiency - The combination of the power efficient AMD RDNA architecture and Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise's intelligent power management technology enable the AMD Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card to precisely scale to meet the power demands of professional applications. As a result, it consumes up to 32 percent less system power on average in SOLIDWORKS solid modeling workflows than the competition.
  • Professional-Grade Software - Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise offers performance improvements in each release and is optimized for demanding 24/7 computing environments, with extensive OEM platform and ISV certification testing to deliver the quality professionals demand. The latest driver (20.Q1) achieves up to an estimated 15 percent faster geomean score in the SPECviewperf 13 benchmark than version 19.Q1 from 20194.
  • AMD Remote Workstation - Allows professionals to access their physical workstations from virtually anywhere with rich graphics experiences using Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops or Microsoft Remote Desktop.
Availability
The AMD Radeon Pro W5500 graphics card is expected to be available from leading retailers beginning mid-February 2020, for an SEP of $399 USD.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
yada yada yada....

All that silly marketing gibberish, and very little hard facts about the actual real world performance, nor any benchmarking results....

And with only 8GB of vram, these cards can't really offer much over the current/last models in terms of increased productivity or process flow... so can someone please tell me exactly why would I want to run out & buy it ??

f.A.i.L....

Low quality post by INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
yada yada yada....

All that silly marketing gibberish, and very little hard facts about the actual real world performance, nor any benchmarking results....

And with only 8GB of vram, these cards can't really offer much over the current/last models in terms of increased productivity or process flow... so can someone please tell me exactly why would I want to run out & buy it ??

f.A.i.L....
Do you ever getting tired of whining about everything;?... :rolleyes: :kookoo:

Low quality post by eidairaman1

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Looks like 24CU Navi14 is only available for Apple. Good.

It's a bit early to expect benchmarks. This is not a gaming card. Test samples aren't sent to websites. There are no launch day reviews.

The card will become available, people will buy it, use it and we'll see how good it is. But it doesn't matter that much. If you need a pro card, you buy it. That's it. There are no AIB variants, so it's not like you have a choice (other than Nvidia vs AMD).
If you have a last gen product, keep using it. What's the matter with you?

It's a pro card. Most of them will be sold in OEM workstations, not alone (as upgrades).

As for direct comparison: W5500 can be seen as a slightly slower successor to WX7100, but for a lot less.
WX7100 launched at AFAIR $600, it's $500-540 today. W5500 launches at $400.
Both cards are on offer, which basically means that AMD increased production capacity (since they're made by different contractors, using different process).

Low quality post by EarthDog
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Do you ever getting tired of whining about everything;?... :rolleyes: :kookoo:
Why not respond with evidence that shows otherwise. How does this help (my post should be a PM too, lol)?

(Not saying I disagree, lol, but throwing facts out to respond drops the mic, yo!)

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
It's 22 CUs, so therefore it is technically a RX 5500 XT with 8 GB and able to use the Radeon Pro drivers.

It's great for Photoshop CC clusters. It's also one of the options for the new Mac Pro.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
yada yada yada....

f.A.i.L....

Perhaps since you don't understand the reason for the card, you don't understand the market for the card. But nah, you know everything, and know exactly that medium size datasets

A friend uses these cards when modeling power station layouts, and the software then provides BOM lists to get quotes from suppliers, as well as running build simulations ensuring there aren't any design issues.

Their data is usually less than 2Gb but when they run the simulation it can use 6Gb as it runs and builds reports.

They use these cards, but not for gaming. I also know seismic modelling for oil and gas exploration use these pro cards and don't need 32Gb of memory. They need faster memory as it's highly parallel, but there are a lot of dependancies.

SketchUp used to be Google but got bought by Trimble (I do work for them), and many other softwares used require pro grade math performance. Not rounded by consumer grade drivers, not handicapped by consumer grade hardware.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
It is very disappointing that well established members seem to have forgotten how to be polite to each other, and over a video card release no less!

Any more derogatory comments directed at other members will earn a weeks vacation. Fair warning to everyone.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Perhaps since you don't understand the reason for the card, you don't understand the market for the card. But nah, you know everything, and know exactly that medium size datasets

A friend uses these cards when modeling power station layouts, and the software then provides BOM lists to get quotes from suppliers, as well as running build simulations ensuring there aren't any design issues.

Their data is usually less than 2Gb but when they run the simulation it can use 6Gb as it runs and builds reports.

They use these cards, but not for gaming. I also know seismic modelling for oil and gas exploration use these pro cards and don't need 32Gb of memory. They need faster memory as it's highly parallel, but there are a lot of dependancies.

SketchUp used to be Google but got bought by Trimble (I do work for them), and many other softwares used require pro grade math performance. Not rounded by consumer grade drivers, not handicapped by consumer grade hardware.
OK, so why doesnt AMD have benchmarks showing the performance of this new firepro compared to previous generation firepro cards? A business owner would want to see substantial gains before dumping money on new workstations.

D

Deleted member 158293

That is one inexpensive PRO branded card with application specific certified drivers, nice to see for light workloads.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
OK, so why doesnt AMD have benchmarks showing the performance of this new firepro compared to previous generation firepro cards? A business owner would want to see substantial gains before dumping money on new workstations.

They do show benchmarks during the sales meetings, but that data is not usually publicly shown (as in on the web or on their corporate website). I can say that the W5500 is literally the RX 5500 XT, much like the WX 4100 is the RX 460/560. Depending on how big the business is, AMD does send sales engineers to do the usual presentations.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.

As mentioned above they do have performance numbers, but when you run your own workstation with good in house IT developing and maintaining software, core files that load when you launch a program to set constraints, already created items, etc.... the workflow performance is best as a Flop or other number, or as mentioned, in house testing, and at a whole $300 a pop (not much for this card) companies will buy and try, then buy 200 of the one that works best. If AMD doesn't have company reps taking these products to IT departments, with numbers, and taking them out to lunch etc... they need to review their business model.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
As mentioned above they do have performance numbers, but when you run your own workstation with good in house IT developing and maintaining software, core files that load when you launch a program to set constraints, already created items, etc.... the workflow performance is best as a Flop or other number, or as mentioned, in house testing, and at a whole $300 a pop (not much for this card) companies will buy and try, then buy 200 of the one that works best. If AMD doesn't have company reps taking these products to IT departments, with numbers, and taking them out to lunch etc... they need to review their business model.

This is accurate. Usually the CIO of a company would do research with a designated consultant(s), rolls it by the COO (or sometimes the CEO) for appoval then contacts distributors, suppliers, or the OEMs directly. This research contains whatever the needs for the company are.

Once they've determined the needs, they also calculate any potential costs. This gets green-lighted by the CFO, of course handling the budget.

Once the costs are done, it's time for those companies to attempt to showcase whatever they got and strike deals. As an example, the SEP for the W5500 above is $399, but in a bulk of 20 it would probably end up at $325 depending on the contract negotiated.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
This is accurate. Usually the CIO of a company would do research with a designated consultant(s), rolls it by the COO (or sometimes the CEO) for appoval then contacts distributors, suppliers, or the OEMs directly. This research contains whatever the needs for the company are.

Once they've determined the needs, they also calculate any potential costs. This gets green-lighted by the CFO, of course handling the budget.

Once the costs are done, it's time for those companies to attempt to showcase whatever they got and strike deals. As an example, the SEP for the W5500 above is $399, but in a bulk of 20 it would probably end up at $325 depending on the contract negotiated.

Part of my prior job duties were to track metrics like cost/profit per minute which was amazing to see that some companies don't base their needs off the 95th percentile of utilization.

So 4 workstations during high demand could save 30 minutes per day not waiting on hardware, meaning during high profit times 2 hours more work could be accomplished, the low cost of 1K for a upgrade is pennies of cost during those times.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Part of my prior job duties were to track metrics like cost/profit per minute which was amazing to see that some companies don't base their needs off the 95th percentile of utilization.

So 4 workstations during high demand could save 30 minutes per day not waiting on hardware, meaning during high profit times 2 hours more work could be accomplished, the low cost of 1K for a upgrade is pennies of cost during those times.

Were you like a VCFO (outsourced) or a technological financial consultant? I report to my senior of needs that any staff member requests for (which is a lot because I'm in a university) and he usually discusses it with our procurement specialist and the money guy (CFO).

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Were you like a VCFO (outsourced) or a technological financial consultant? I report to my senior of needs that any staff member requests for (which is a lot because I'm in a university) and he usually discusses it with our procurement specialist and the money guy (CFO).

Consultant for the same company I did GPS work for.

yada yada yada....

f.A.i.L....

In terms of price it's more comparable to the Quadro P2000, which has 5GB of GDDR5. Don't knock it just yet.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Looking at the sheer size and shape of the cooler I woudn't doubt it's based on a Rad VII and uses cores that didn't make the cut to become a Rad VII in the first place. This way they won't have to chunk those and still get some return from making them.
Would be a similar thing to when NVidia made the GTX 560-448, using "Defective" cores that coudn't be used in the 570 or 580 cards of the day.

BTW I bought one of those - Still works great to this day.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Looking at the sheer size and shape of the cooler I woudn't doubt it's based on a Rad VII and uses cores that didn't make the cut to become a RAD VII in the first place. This way they won't have to chunk those and still get some return from making them.
Would be a similar thing to when NVidia made the GTX 560-448, using "Defective" cores that coudn't be used in the 570 or 580 cards of the day.

BTW I bought one of those - Still works great to this day.
?

This is an RDNA card based on a Navi variant (Navi 14? w/e is in the rx 5500 I believe). Radeon VII is Vega based, not RDNA...though both are 7nm. The nvidia example is same generation gpu (fermi).

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Saw that about RDNA after you pointed it out.
That is a big card like the Rad VII, no doubt.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz@1.331V
Motherboard ASUS Strix B350-F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 16G*2 3000MHz CL16 @1.35V
Video Card(s) Msi RTX 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Storage WD Blue 500G SSD*1 WD Black 2TB*1
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
Case Lian Li O11D XL
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse logitech G102 with modded micro switchs
Benchmark Scores Time Spy 9943
Edgelord strike again ;)
Someone definitely don't know whom this card is for ;)