• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Issues Official Statement Regarding RX 560 Silent Downgrade

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Again, nVidia made the specs clear enough that you can use just the memory amount and type to determine the card. Just look at you own screen shot. Notice how nVidia only lists one memory size for each of the 3 versions? DDR3 1GB = Fermi, that is the only one of the three versions that has 1GB DDR3. DDR3 2GB = Kepler, that is the only version of the three that has 2GB DDR3. And finally 1GB DDR5 = Better Kepler, that is the only one of the three that has that 1GB DDR5. These are the specs that nVidia put out, and it makes it possible to determine the version you are getting from looking at the front of the box. The problem is the AIBs didn't stick to nVidia's specs and released cards with different memory amounts. That is an issue, and why releasing 3 versions of the GT730 was bad. But AMD's RX 560 was a little worse, because AMD made no effort to make a way to easily distinguish what version of the card you are getting just by looking at the front of the box.
It's not that easy. Over the past few years there were so many variations of 730, that you could find a 1GB DDR5 Fermi or 1GB DDR3 Kepler, or a Fermi card with up to 4GB framebuffer in both DDR3&5 variants.
Like this puppy:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/188957/188957

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Again, nVidia made the specs clear enough that you can use just the memory amount and type to determine the card. Just look at you own screen shot. Notice how nVidia only lists one memory size for each of the 3 versions? DDR3 1GB = Fermi, that is the only one of the three versions that has 1GB DDR3. DDR3 2GB = Kepler, that is the only version of the three that has 2GB DDR3. And finally 1GB DDR5 = Better Kepler, that is the only one of the three that has that 1GB DDR5. These are the specs that nVidia put out, and it makes it possible to determine the version you are getting from looking at the front of the box. The problem is the AIBs didn't stick to nVidia's specs and released cards with different memory amounts. That is an issue, and why releasing 3 versions of the GT730 was bad. But AMD's RX 560 was a little worse, because AMD made no effort to make a way to easily distinguish what version of the card you are getting just by looking at the front of the box.
1512924049701.png

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Re-read my post, then try again. I'm not going to keep repeating myself.
Jesus Christ, I think the GT730 thing is totally out of whack here.... I did read your post, but I think you are slightly misunderstanding my post.
What I mean is that you can't simply take all GT730s with all variations and put them in a spec page: you'll need a book on "Evolution and Classification of GT730 videocards" (probably in 2 volumes).
There are also dozens of variants of this card with PCIe x1 x4 x8 and x16 etc. etc. That's what their "Product Family" page is for.

P.S. And I fixed them all... :banghead:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Jesus Christ, I think the GT730 thing is totally out of whack here.... I did read your post, but I think you are slightly misunderstanding my post.
What I mean is that you can't simply take all GT730s with all variations and put them in a spec page: you'll need a book on "Evolution and Classification of GT730 videocards" (probably in 2 volumes).
There are also dozens of variants of this card with PCIe x1 x4 x8 and x16 etc. etc. That's what their "Product Family" page is for.

P.S. And I fixed them all... :banghead:

I'm just going to quote myself for people that don't bother to read, easier than repeating.

The problem is the AIBs didn't stick to nVidia's specs and released cards with different memory amounts.

Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard
We all read it, don't worry. We just don't pretend to be lawyers here.

what is it about amd where they can't go a quarter without a major screw up
As opposed to Microsoft, Intel, NVidia, Samsung and any other major companies out there? Your statement wasn't very objective..

EDIT; good grief my grammar today..

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
As opposed to Microsoft, Intel, NVidia, Samsung and any other major company out their? Your statement wasn't very objective..
So, we have to include all other sinners when making a statement? It isnt assumed there are other sinners without saying? Thats why this whole thread and the other(s), shytestormed because people felt they needed to bring up other sins so there is 'a balance in the force' or some shyte... hilarious. Nobody ever said another company was a saint, in fact, quite the contrary - we readily admit their sins (though degree of severity differes from person to person), yet, multiple people felt the need to straw man and deflect in these threads. Hilarious.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
So, we have to include all other sinners when making a statement?

Yes , because otherwise everything boils down to biased nonsense that serves no purpose. We need to make everything evident.

What else should we say ? That AMD is pure evil and it's out there to scam people ? That already has been said a million times.

So, we have to include all other sinners when making a statement?
The point of my statement was to highlight the pointlessness of his comment. All companies are made up of people, some good, some bad, who all make less than perfect choices and mistakes. Perhaps you missed that somewhere, thus your response.

Although, AMD is historically less guilty of "sins" than most other companies. I find it most intriuging and interesting when people feel personally threated by rising success of a company that they are personally not vested in.

Really, I sit back here and SMH... why? Because I deal with this same issue with my 10 and 6 year olds and have to deal with the same stuff here from grown men (and a woman).

TPU users dissapoint me on a near daily basis with... 1. What goes on here. 2. What is ALLOWED to go on here.

Surely, the answer is to log out and stay within the healthy confines of a more knowledgeable and mature forum... I need to start thinking about that more often. The only thing not questionable here are the reviews.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
All this bitching about GT730's, like 99% of those cards weren't sent to OEM's for office machines and daily use machines where it's irrelevant anyway. Not many people are putting RX 560's in their day to day office computer to really turn Excel and Powerpoint up to 11, just like most people aren't buying aftermarket GT730's with any expectation of high gaming performance.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Yes , because otherwise everything boils down to biased nonsense that serves no purpose. We need to make everything evident.

What else should we say ? That AMD is pure evil and it's out there to scam people ? That already has been said a million times.

I used to watch this TV show called To Catch a Predator. It eventually had to go off the air though, because every time they would catch a new predator and shame them on national TV, they had to spend so much time listing all the other people that had also been caught so they didn't appear biased towards that one person. Eventually the whole episode was just a list of people they caught before, and there was no time to catch anyone new! But it had to be done, otherwise they were obviously just being biased towards the one person.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I used to watch this TV show called To Catch a Predator. It eventually had to go off the air though, because every time they would catch a new predator and shame them on national TV, they had to spend so much time listing all the other people that had also been caught so they didn't appear biased towards that one person. Eventually the whole episode was just a list of people they caught before, and there was no time to catch anyone new! But it had to be done, otherwise they were obviously just being biased towards the one person.

Well realistically the reason that show stopped was because they were basically entrapping people on live television which made the court cases quite a circus.

Really, I sit back here and SMH... why? Because I deal with this same issue with my 10 and 6 year olds and have to deal with the same stuff here from grown men (and a women).
Irony. :rolleyes:
TPU users dissapoint me on a near daily basis with... 1. What goes on here. 2. What is ALLOWED to go on here.
This seems like a contradiction. You state you are disappointed by the users while simultainiously bemoaning the admins. That logic does not compute. :kookoo:
Surely, the answer is to log out and stay within the healthy confines of a more knowledgeable and mature forum... I need to start thinking about that more often.
So you're familiar with this thing called the internet then? Seriously, you take shots at people, conversationally, and you're surprised when they respond in a way that does not please you?
The only thing not questionable here are the reviews.
At least we can agree on that point. :lovetpu:

I don't "take shots" at people in normal conversation/posts. I deal in facts and my interpretation of the facts. My worst offense here, IMO, is missing what people write (right Vya) and fly off the handle on something people DIDN'T say, LOL!

Yes, the moderation staff, at times, does not do enough to thwart the efforts of those adding nothing to the thread but flamebait and trolling. I reported posts in both threads, a mod posted to bring it on topic, people continued to post off topic and nothing. They cannot see everything, I know, I am a moderator as well at a smaller site. But when someone reports something, I tend to keep an eye on it after that, not post machismo and bail. This place needs far, FAR more moderation than my smaller site. TPU also has shed loads more staff than us. The silly part is they cannot act 'outside of their section'. So if I report something here and the mod isn't on, nothing can get done except an idle threat from another mod without power to act.

Anyway, I digress... my post(s) aren't doing a damn thing to help the thread out either. Just tired of the same bullshit from the same people week in and week out. But, I am in control of seeing that material and need to do something about it. I highly doubt I will stick around the forums much longer unless the environment changes.

Audio Device(s) onboard
It's not rare forum members to know the work of a moderator, better than the moderators themselves and also forum members, to know what is best for a forum, better than that forum's admins. It's also not rare people to hit the Report button like it is a divine order send to moderators who have to immediately take the proper action to avoid God's wrath.

It's not rare forum members to know the work of a moderator, better than the moderators themselves and also forum members, to know what is best for a forum, better than that forum's admins. It's also not rare people to hit the Report button like it is a divine order send to moderators who have to immediately take the proper action to avoid God's wrath.
The moderators really only jump in when needed. There is nothing wrong with argument, banter and debate as long as it doesn't get out of control. On subjects like the one this article inspires, very passionate back&forth is to be expected.

Kastia

This started for me when they nerfed my 1st week release Gigabyte 560 down even they have 2 versions they dropped the rev. 1 clocks too and their Aurus utility presets stopped working. I sent a note to the company and never heard a word and wasn't able to find any other posts about it on their site. I thought maybe it was just a Gigabyte thing. What really makes me mad is my neighbor isn't a big gamer and he really liked how my card (and a Red Dragon 560 first week release) worked for the price of around $120. So he bought a 560 and wanted to see what it would do in multi gpu. Well it took a minute to figure out why his card was throttling and then I saw it was only 75% of mine. The AMD press release came not long after that. The market for this card is casuals and therefore the least likely to look for that in the specs and they are the ones who got taken advantage of. I feel pretty bad for him, for some people even a new card like that is a really big deal and he got taken advantage of. This should be rectified by the company, it wouldn't cost that much to make it right for the people who were not given the facts. It would cost less than losing future customers. Newegg is just as guilty for either selling a product they weren't familiar with or hiding that change so they could profit until the truth came out. ..... Disgusted..