• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Launches Four New Phenom X4 Processors

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
What he said ^^

Greatpumkin628

Processor 3700 Clawhammer @2.65
Motherboard Abit KV8Pro
Cooling Blue Orb II
Memory OCZ Platinum 2-2-2-5
Video Card(s) X1950 Pro 512 AGP @630 &1490
Storage 2x36 Raptors Raid O + 80 WD Caviar
Display(s) IBM 21" CRT
Case Antec Super Lan
Audio Device(s) X-FI Gamer
Power Supply Aspire 500w
Software XP
well the sweet spot is fading quick if I have to get a 790FX for 100$ more and the Q6600 is coming down in price.. I guess I'll empty my shopping cart then and wait for the dust to settle.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127034
and the 8400 wolfdale for $220 kinda kills the buzz considering 4.0 GHZ on air no prob. I really don"t want to go to big evil blue but damm...

Last edited:

BumbRush

greatpumkin, check the biostar ta770, its a hell of a little board, shold do the trick, people at RH and PcPer love them

ISMurphy

thats a personal choice and not a intelligent consumer decision. AMD for you.

how is this not AN intelligent consumer decision?

- more money into a lower marketed company that produces solid technology will add more to their ability to lower that price even more, force compeition from the advertising frenzy of consumer knowledge based on those who watch them on TV so want them. Less mass advertising $$$ spent = lower chip prices.

- support in a company that is the underdog, but still provdies a proven, solid, and great working technology, keeps the big dog companies from running a monopoly, hence swinging the market to whatever they want at what prices they want.

- niche or mainstream support of products forces a more rapid increase or research into further advancing technology in that class ( CPU's ), offering more solutions in that niche or stream of consumerism ( i.e. triple cores, lower priced CPU's, and the like ) increases not only the advnacement of said tech, but a wider product base and an initiation of the " follow the leader " marketing process of one company following suit of the other to provide the same solutions at lower cost. This is what AMD does and IS doing and as of late are coming first to market with it and evening the playing field in both the CPU and GPU market right now. without support and even that " extra $10 " to fuel this kind of fire, wed all be paying $700 for a Q6600 because we'd have nothing else offered.

i'd gladly offer up $10 extra at release for one of those and am sound in both my freedom of decision as a consumer and user of their technology which has never failed me opposed to the competition and happy to support their efforts to bring more tech, for better prices, to a more equal playing field.

but thats just me, to each their own.

Braveheart

System Name mystie
Processor intel Q9450
Motherboard gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Cooling coolit domino ALC
Memory 4GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) sapphire 4870x2
Storage 250GB barracuda, 1.5TB barracuda
Display(s) 15" phillips, HannsG HD 28"
Case custom built plexiglass cube
Audio Device(s) Creative audigy SE
Power Supply Silverstone Strider 700W
Software Vista home premium 64/ Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 64
System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

- more money into a lower marketed company that produces solid technology will add more to their ability to lower that price even more, force compeition from the advertising frenzy of consumer knowledge based on those who watch them on TV so want them. Less mass advertising $$$ spent = lower chip prices.

- support in a company that is the underdog, but still provdies a proven, solid, and great working technology, keeps the big dog companies from running a monopoly, hence swinging the market to whatever they want at what prices they want.

- niche or mainstream support of products forces a more rapid increase or research into further advancing technology in that class ( CPU's ), offering more solutions in that niche or stream of consumerism ( i.e. triple cores, lower priced CPU's, and the like ) increases not only the advnacement of said tech, but a wider product base and an initiation of the " follow the leader " marketing process of one company following suit of the other to provide the same solutions at lower cost. This is what AMD does and IS doing and as of late are coming first to market with it and evening the playing field in both the CPU and GPU market right now. without support and even that " extra $10 " to fuel this kind of fire, wed all be paying $700 for a Q6600 because we'd have nothing else offered.

i'd gladly offer up $10 extra at release for one of those and am sound in both my freedom of decision as a consumer and user of their technology which has never failed me opposed to the competition and happy to support their efforts to bring more tech, for better prices, to a more equal playing field.

Slight Change - "we would all be paying $700 for a worthless POS celeron"

ISMurphy

correction noted. its is ore than just price vs power vs perception, but i go for companies that do things for consumer interest and not the interest of their pocketbooks. albeit Intel DOES produce quality processors, the manufacturing costs of said chips are much more salvageable than what they release the initial pricing at, that is not, at all, a good invetment for a consumer.

if you let them charge you for it, and then you pay it, you are just allowing them to then say " well how much farther can we make you open that wallet? " if you flip the bird and say " i'll try these guys then " they are much more apt to ( as we have seen ) plummet pricing down to compete. this to me is just an insult to the buyer saying, " yeah we could have charged you this much to begin with, but there were more than enough suckers out there willing to pay it so... that's YOUR bad Mr. Joe Consumer "

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Hmmm.... let me think?????? makin a six figure income, I REALLY DON'T CARE....It's what keeps a company going:nutkick: PS AMD is dropping prices this week coming.... So keep yo coments to yourself....:banghead:

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

thanks for pointing out a grammatical error, everything else is just opinion and "what ifs"

So if AMD wasnt in this position they wouldnt get lazy, hike prices and put out junk? Thats exactly what happened when Intel put out the C2D, AMD were there raking in profits, laughing about the p4 too busy to mind or care what was going on, i am not in this game for any big company (whether or not there is an underdog doesnt matter they are still big companies in thier own right). You guys an pull the sob story with someone else, or at least someone who cares to hear that stuff. I have my bucks, i want thier performance, its a simple as that. If it wasnt for the C2D's we wouldnt have these cheap AX2 chips now would we? The worst liar is the liar who lies to himself.

BTW i left a few grammatical errors for you to correct, so at least you can do the only thing you do right.

Last edited:
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
Last edited:
thanks for pointing out a grammatical error, everything else is just opinion and "what ifs"

So if AMD wasnt in this position they wouldnt get lazy, hike prices and put out junk? Thats exactly what happened when Intel put out the C2D, AMD were there raking in profits, laughing about the p4 too busy to mind or care what was going on, i am not in this game for any big company (whether or not there is an underdog doesnt matter they are still big companies in thier own right). You guys an pull the sob story with someone else, or at least someone who cares to hear that stuff. I have my buck, i want thier performance, its a simple as that.

BTW i left a few grammatical errors for you to correct, so at least you can do one thing right.

+1. QFT. Intel is doing that at the moment, slacking off the quality of their products, examples, like the E8xxx manufacturing quality variation and the lack of investment for cooling.

Processor FX 8150 4.41Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 16GB GSkill Ripjaws X 1600
Video Card(s) Diamond Multimedia HD7970 3GB
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 32" LED
Case Cooler Master Cosmos (new version)
Audio Device(s) Platronics 777
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition x64
Benchmark Scores Geekbench: 10,136 3DMark 11: P7792
Weee for AMD. :)

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Well from what ive seen the new B3's do out preform the Q6600 @ stock at least the 9850's do and are cheaper, so thats a point for AMD, and the Tri Cores are gonna cause Intel to sweat

Processor i7 920
Motherboard EVGA X58
Cooling eight 120mm fans, Swiftech GTZ cpu block, 3 120mm radiator, MCP655 pump, primochill tubing
Memory 6 gig G-Skill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 285's (SLI)
Storage 500GB Western Digital
Display(s) 3 Asus 23 in inchers
Case Lian Li A77B
Audio Device(s) on board 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 1000
Software win 7 64
Why are people arguing over this?? Fact of the matter is this...Intel puts out the fastest proc's right now. That is apparent...But...Is their top of the line affordable to the average joe? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! That's like comparing a Ferrari to the 66 Chevelle I used to own. Sure the Ferrari will go from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds vs my Chevy's 5 second 0 to 60 time. BUT the Ferrari also costs 240,000 dollars more than that Chevy..:twitch:.. Does it mean the Chevelle was any less fun to drive? Hell no!!.:laugh:..That motherf&%ker was an abslolute blast to drive...high 11's, low 12's in the quarter isn't so bad either, all from a car that cost me less than $5000..:rockout: The same can be said about these chips...Sure the "top dog" Intel is the fastest but it also cost over a grand..:shadedshu..If you got the fat wallet and are willing to spend the cash...by all means do it...Personally, I like the fact that AMD is finally pulling it together..:)..As it has been pointed out, good compitition whether it be at the high-end or the mid-range, benefits everyone. ( By the way I've got a 67 Fury in the works that in about 2 to 3 years I hope to get low 10's in the quarter)...F^ck Ferrari. lol

Last edited:
Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate
Wow Newegg dropped the old Phenom down to $170, it is not a great processor, but not bad at that price.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
me. the Q6600 is old.

Lol @ Old, my next door neighbour has a 1992 Ferrari 456GT, it delivers 440BHP and has a top speed of 310KPH or 190MPH, it's old........but it's still one of the fastest cars on the road! An example of 16 year old engine technology still beating 16 month old engine technology......if the quality is right (and thats the important thing) then age is less important......take me for example :D

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Well from what ive seen the new B3's do out preform the Q6600 @ stock at least the 9850's do and are cheaper, so thats a point for AMD, and the Tri Cores are gonna cause Intel to sweat

But the Tri cores are ONLY going to OEM not retail (certainly initially).

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Motherboard ASRock z68 pro3-m
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory Kingston HyperX 8GB 2 x 4GB 1600mhz
Storage OCZ Agility3 60GB(boot) 2x320GB Raid0(storage)
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750w
Software Win 7 x64
Why are people arguing over this?? Fact of the matter is this...Intel puts out the fastest proc's right now. That is apparent...But...Is their top of the line affordable to the average joe? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! That's like comparing a Ferrari to the 66 Chevelle I used to own. Sure the Ferrari will go from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds vs my Chevy's 5 second 0 to 60 time. BUT the Ferrari also costs 240,000 dollars more than that Chevy..:twitch:.. Does it mean the Chevelle was any less fun to drive? Hell no!!.:laugh:..That motherf&%ker was an abslolute blast to drive...high 11's, low 12's in the quarter isn't so bad either, all from a car that cost me less than $5000..:rockout: The same can be said about these chips...Sure the "top dog" Intel is the fastest but it also cost over a grand..:shadedshu..If you got the fat wallet and are willing to spend the cash...by all means do it...Personally, I like the fact that AMD is finally pulling it together..:)..As it has been pointed out, good compitition whether it be at the high-end or the mid-range, benefits everyone. ( By the way I've got a 67 Fury in the works that in about 2 to 3 years I hope to get low 10's in the quarter)...F^ck Ferrari. lol

ha i agree with pretty much everything you just said!:rockout:
and damn those are some good ass times! gotta love muscle!
one of my best friends has got a gs400 that does high 10's low 11's
its a beast!

but yea i totally agree i don't understand why intel feels the need to slap a $1000+
price tag on a processor, imo for that price they should beat amd's top of the line by a much bigger margin!

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Given the choice between a Q6600 for $225 for a Phenom 9850 for the same price I would go with the Q6600. Yeah I like AMD but the Q6600 is better... =\

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Cooling Corsair A70
Case Custom
Software Win 7 x64
Given the choice between a Q6600 for $225 for a Phenom 9850 for the same price I would go with the Q6600. Yeah I like AMD but the Q6600 is better... =\

as of now your right! the q6600 is imo the best chip intel ever put out but why the hell the jump from $225 to $1000+ when you can just oc the q6600?

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
as of now your right! the q6600 is imo the best chip intel ever put out but why the hell the jump from $225 to $1000+ when you can just oc the q6600?

Wow Newegg dropped the old Phenom down to $170, it is not a great processor, but not bad at that price.

double +1

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000

Umm... the 9850 won't be $1000+

jbunch07

Processor i5-2500k
Cooling Corsair A70
Case Custom
Software Win 7 x64
i know i was refering to intel why do they think the qx9650 is worth $1000 bucks and the qx9775 goes for 1600?

Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Software MCE2K5
i know i was refering to intel why do they think the qx9650 is worth $1000 bucks and the qx9775 goes for 1600?

the 1600 is to match the fsb

ISMurphy

So if AMD wasnt in this position they wouldnt get lazy, hike prices and put out junk? Thats exactly what happened when Intel put out the C2D, AMD were there raking in profits, laughing about the p4 too busy to mind or care what was going on, i am not in this game for any big company (whether or not there is an underdog doesnt matter they are still big companies in thier own right). You guys an pull the sob story with someone else, or at least someone who cares to hear that stuff. I have my bucks, i want thier performance, its a simple as that. If it wasnt for the C2D's we wouldnt have these cheap AX2 chips now would we? The worst liar is the liar who lies to himself.

BTW i left a few grammatical errors for you to correct, so at least you can do the only thing you do right.

lol, so defensive, just stating that saying it is bad consumer decision is YOUR opinion and what if, i justified my reasoning, you sling insults, to each their own. you don't wanna hear it, don't read a forum based off peoples input and opinions. So enjoy your bucks and your intel, more power to you.

BTW, i left a little SERIOUS BUSINESS in there for you, so at least you can do the only thing you do right. :shadedshu