• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Struggles to Be Excluded from Unwarranted Intel VT Flaw Kernel Patches

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel is secretly firefighting a major hardware security vulnerability affecting its entire x86 processor lineup. The hardware-level vulnerability allows unauthorized memory access between two virtual machines (VMs) running on a physical machine, due to Intel's flawed implementation of its hardware-level virtualization instruction sets. OS kernel-level software patches to mitigate this vulnerability, come at huge performance costs that strike at the very economics of choosing Intel processors in large-scale datacenters and cloud-computing providers, over processors from AMD. Ryzen, Opteron, and EPYC processors are inherently immune to this vulnerability, yet the kernel patches seem to impact performance of both AMD and Intel processors.

Close inspection of kernel patches reveal code that forces machines running all x86 processors, Intel or AMD, to be patched, regardless of the fact that AMD processors are immune. Older commits to the Linux kernel git, which should feature the line "if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)" (condition that the processor should be flagged "X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE" only if it's not an AMD processor), have been replaced with the line "/* Assume for now that ALL x86 CPUs are insecure */" with no further accepted commits in the past 10 days. This shows that AMD's requests are being turned down by Kernel developers. Their intentions are questionable in the wake of proof that AMD processors are immune, given that patched software inflicts performance penalties on both Intel and AMD processors creating a crony "level playing field," even if the latter doesn't warrant a patch. Ideally, AMD should push to be excluded from this patch, and offer to demonstrate the invulnerability of its processors to Intel's mess.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Heh, of course AMD is fighting it off. Why should they get a performance hit for properly doing their CPU's? Of course Intel will do everything to make that happen, so there won't be a massive up to 30% performance gap between their CPU's and AMD's. If they both get penalized, it'll look like nothing happened because the baseline will just be moved 30% lower for both. But if only Intel gets a 30% perfomance hit, that's quite signficant. People should keep an eye on this so the slowdown won't happen for both, but just for Intel. It's their cockup, they should be penalized for it, not AMD. If the issue was reverse, it would be natural to demand or expect the same from AMD. Only making them learn from expensive mistakes will ensure they make shit properly and avoid such awful mistakes...

D

Deleted member 172152

Heh, of course AMD is fighting it off. Why should they get a performance hit for properly doing their CPU's? Of course Intel will do everything to make that happen, so there won't be a massive up to 30% performance gap between their CPU's and AMD's. If they both get penalized, it'll look like nothing happened because the baseline will just be moved 30% lower for both. But if only Intel gets a 30% perfomance hit, that's quite signficant. People should keep an eye on this so the slowdown won't happen for both, but just for Intel. It's their cockup, they should be penalized for it, not AMD. If the issue was reverse, it would be natural to demand or expect the same from AMD. Only making them learn from expensive mistakes will ensure they make shit properly and avoid such awful mistakes...
I'll let Americans sue both Intel and Kernel makers.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
"Their intentions are questionable in the wake of proof that AMD processors are immune, given that patched software inflicts performance penalties on both Intel and AMD processors creating a crony "level playing field," even if the latter doesn't warrant a patch. Ideally, AMD should push to be excluded from this patch, and offer to demonstrate the invulnerability of its processors to Intel's mess."

This really pisses me off. It looks like Intel have used their power and influence to corrupt the open source scene to put AMD at the same disadvantage as them and thus stifle competition. They always seem to get away with these tactics too. Remember when AMD was first with a 64-bit x86 CPU way back around 2005, but Microsoft mysteriously held back the release of 64-bit Windows XP until Intel was ready with their own 64-bit CPUs over a year later? This totally nullified AMD's big advantage, thus stifling competition. So out of order. :nutkick:

Intel is a scummy corporation, force it on AMD too because of their mistake. Despite the fact that I likely will not use any workload affected (or at least I hope so) as a Ryzen owner I sincerely hope AMD doesn't get affected out of principle.

I don't see how this would work in a long term. Architecture split? Windows for Intel64 and AMD64? I doubt this is what AMD would want.
Of course Intel will do everything to make that happen, so there won't be a massive up to 30% performance gap between their CPU's and AMD's. If they both get penalized, it'll look like nothing happened because the baseline will just be moved 30% lower for both.
The 30% figure is a pretty extreme case (a particular load), so it somehow evens out AMD's instruction set disadvantage. It's supposed to be more like 5% in general case - still a lot.
Waiting for trolls to deflect and try minimizing the ARCHITECTURE FLAW in intel cpus
Oh man... you're just running around this forum, posting a link to this story in different threads - some inactive for more than a week. Talking about trolling...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Well it is a serious flaw that Intel has @notb. What's the matter? You don't like the fact your precious intel has been exposed for the lies all these years? They tried hiding this serious security/performance flaw for 10+ years. They are so corrupt to try and force a patch for ms to auto download on w10 systems that they should be sued.

Well here's proof read'em and weep.

Last edited:
Any penalty sucks, even if just 5%. You bought the CPU based on reviews that said otherwise. And now it'll get gimped.

EDIT:
Btw, wasn't it released that this flaw doesn't affect 6th series and below? Or was that for some other flaw? But I think it was like this, because I know I was releaved when I heard my 5820K wasn't affected back then...

I am glad that i am sticking with W7, and when that expires, head over to Linux. Mature enough by now and alot you can do with Wine. All the goods without the privacy tampering, forced (driver) updates and what more. It sucks for Intel and proberly other vendors such as VIA as well that these processors get the same penalty due to a flaw in Intel CPU's. So they create a patch that they coud'nt come up with any better harming now other companies and CPU's.

Intel needs to work on the IME / security / rough testing of their CPU's before actually releasing. But they are actually taking the risc that CPU's might leave the factory with critical bugs. This reminds me being on a shared (hosting) server, with SSH you could simply inspect the unix TMP map and grab data from various users on the same server, where normally you woud'nt had any acces to. Accessing one VM from another VM instance is pretty much bad.

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
I don't see how this would work in a long term. Architecture split? Windows for Intel64 and AMD64? I doubt this is what AMD would want.

The 30% figure is a pretty extreme case (a particular load), so it somehow evens out AMD's instruction set disadvantage. It's supposed to be more like 5% in general case - still a lot.

Oh man... you're just running around this forum, posting a link to this story in different threads - some inactive for more than a week. Talking about trolling...

In some cases even more!
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2

In others, none but it will be quite severe

copi-pasta
https://www.reddit com/r/hardware/comments/7nngqd/intel_bug_incoming/
There is evidence of a massive Intel CPU hardware bug (currently under embargo) that directly affects big cloud providers like Amazon and Google. The fix will introduce notable performance penalties on Intel machines (30-35%).

People have noticed a recent development in the Linux kernel: a rather massive, important redesign (page table isolation) is being introduced very fast for kernel standards... and being backported! The "official" reason is to incorporate a mitigation called KASLR... which most security experts consider almost useless. There's also some unusual, suspicious stuff going on: the documentation is missing, some of the comments are redacted ( ) and people with Intel, Amazon and Google emails are CC'd.

According to one of the people working on it, PTI is only needed for Intel CPUs, AMD is not affected by whatever it protects against (https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2). PTI affects a core low-level feature (virtual memory) and has severe performance penalties: 29% for an i7-6700 and 34% for an i7-3770S, according to Brad Spengler from grsecurity. PTI is simply not active for AMD CPUs. The kernel flag is named X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE and its description is "CPU is insecure and needs kernel page table isolation".

Microsoft has been silently working on a similar feature since November:
People are speculating on a possible massive Intel CPU hardware bug that directly opens up serious vulnerabilities on big cloud providers which offer shared hosting (several VMs on a single host), for example by letting a VM read from or write to another one.

EDIT1: the examples of the i7 series, are just examples. This affects all Intel platforms as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I am glad that i am sticking with W7, and when that expires, head over to Linux. Mature enough by now and alot you can do with Wine. All the goods without the privacy tampering, forced (driver) updates and what more. It sucks for Intel and proberly other vendors such as VIA as well that these processors get the same penalty due to a flaw in Intel CPU's. So they create a patch that they coud'nt come up with any better harming now other companies and CPU's.

Intel needs to work on the IME / security / rough testing of their CPU's before actually releasing. But they are actually taking the risc that CPU's might leave the factory with critical bugs. This reminds me being on a shared (hosting) server, with SSH you could simply inspect the unix TMP map and grab data from various users on the same server, where normally you woud'nt had any acces to. Accessing one VM from another VM instance is pretty much bad.

If ms forces this on all users AMD needs to write their own that removes the patch from AMD systems completely

I guess it's that critical that there is no time to exactly figure out what is going on and exactly write a intel patch only. Someone decided to fully disable some feature and push it out causing AMD cpu's to be penalised as well for it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
some webs are talking about 35% i mean some extreme cases perhaps

Check your private messages by using the envelope icon

I guess it's that critical that there is no time to exactly figure out what is going on and exactly write a intel patch only. Someone decided to fully disable some feature and push it out causing AMD cpu's to be penalised as well for it.

They did it to keep an anti competitive practice going, theyve been underhanded since super 7 days

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Waiting for trolls to deflect and try minimizing the ARCHITECTURE FLAW in intel cpus
I'm trying to rationalize something here... Why do these news feeds seem like 2-3 days old and just now showing up here? Am I going into the future or am I just nuts?? Or is the driver snoozing while supposed to be driving!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I'm trying to rationalize something here... Why do these news feeds seem like 2-3 days old and just now showing up here? Am I going into the future or am I just nuts?? Or is the driver snoozing while supposed to be driving!

You are at home bro lol Im off. This is extremely current news

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Linux has a -nopti kernel boot option for us Linux+AMD users.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
amd can sue developers who made the patches without taking in consideration the immunity of their cpu's to this vulnerability and win in court anytime...

no matter how big intel influence, is suicidal to treat all x86 cpu's as flawed....

P.S.
amd only need to ask their lawyers to send out compensation request letters which have 8-10 digit numbers and for sure nobody will have the balls ($) to do what intel "recommend"

Last edited:
System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/
For advanced Linux users, there is no concern, you can even compile your own kernel excluding your system from this patch. But most are not that advanced, so this is some serious BS if left like this. I'm hoping that this is a one-for-all emergency response that can be rectified once AMD processors are (hopefully) cleared after some investigation...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
'tis nothing, don't make such a big deal out of it! This patch simply puts everyone on a level playing field to make things fair.

#intelapologiststrikesagain

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
For advanced Linux users, there is no concern, you can even compile your own kernel excluding your system from this patch. But most are not that advanced, so this is some serious BS if left like this. I'm hoping that this is a one-for-all emergency response that can be rectified once AMD processors are (hopefully) cleared after some investigation...
Is this just affecting the performance of vm's using the linux kernal??