• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Mantle Driver to Only Benefit Four GPUs Initially

But you forgot that the architecture here is used in next gen consoles. Read how Mantle work and you will see how easy to port a game from Xbox1, PS4 to PC using Mantle, thanks to the similar in the architecture. That's where the profit come from. FYI, porting games from consoles to DirectX has been a nightmare for every programmers.

By the way, this article is totally mislead as DICE confirmed that their driver works on every GCN cards. I don't know why TPU had not edited or taken it down. I smelled some bias here :(
Porting to directX isn't a nightmare if you're agnostic about your coding what becomes a nightmare is porting it to windows not writing it in directX it's quarks about the underlaying os that makes porting a pain. After all most games are written in something like C then ported over to work for the console.

But you forgot that the architecture here is used in next gen consoles. Read how Mantle work and you will see how easy to port a game from Xbox1, PS4 to PC using Mantle, thanks to the similar in the architecture. That's where the profit come from. FYI, porting games from consoles to DirectX has been a nightmare for every programmers.

By the way, this article is totally mislead as DICE confirmed that their driver works on every GCN cards. I don't know why TPU had not edited or taken it down. I smelled some bias here :(

You missed the entire point of my post. None of what you said make it an open project. The "profit" you speak of can only be built on the bodies of vendor-agnostic solutions.

This is AMD leveraging their console-peasants-given power to sway the future of our glorious PC gaming master race in their favor, nothing more. /s

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Vapor ware that magically gains 10% performance. I am ok with that.
Hows that vaporware now? Any more snarky comments about the 12-200% increase?

System Name Trixeon
Processor Xeon E3-1230-V2
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Coolmaster EVO
Memory Gskill 2133 8GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9-290 Tri-x o/c bios 1000/6000MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD, 3TB HDD, 1TB HDD
Display(s) 3x 22" 1050 monitors 16:10
Case Xigmatec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Xigmatec 800W centurio
Software Win7 64bit
Day by day this Mantle smells like vaporware, just like ex-Intel's Larabee...

I totally agree;

AMD meeting minutes....

Issue:
we're in deep do do, there's no way we can keep up with Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs. If we don't come up with something, ANYTHING we're gone, our finances are a mess!!

Solution:
ok, we're going to have to hit this big time. Lets get into bed with the developer of the biggest game this year, BF4, and influence its design and coding. Let's hype it up so much that people aren't surprised when it's so CPU resource heavy.

.....but how's that going to help with our weak CPUs?

We'll it's not going to be actually CPU heavy, we'll artificially make it so. It's risky because people might wonder why it runs well on a crappy XB1 APU but needs 80% of an o/c'd I5-3570k, but I think we can get away with it. We'll say PCs aren't optimised, but consoles are, no-one will question it.

.....but I still don't get it.

We'll then launch this software add-on called Mantle and hype it up to be the coming of the next messiah. This add-on will detect what type of CPU and GPU the user has and remove the artificial limitation for all those with weak AMD CPU's/APU and our later R9-xxx GPUs (we might help the tight-ass 7xxx owners later, but for now we'll tell them it's for all GCN cards to make people consider switching to AMD from Nvidia, that's how we'll also claw back some GPU sales, then we'll say it just supports R9-xxx GPUs with 7xxx support coming later, we'll drag it out as long as possible, until our next big sponsored game comes along).

As BF4 is the biggest and most talked about game, along with the game changing Mantle, everyone will think that you no longer need a decent Intel CPU and will buy our cheap and crappy APUs and couple them with our new R9-xxx's. We'll hype it up so much and drag it out with various excuses for delays, optimisation, beta tests, support etc that no-one will become suspicious before we collude with the next game developer to do the same again.

It's win, win. We increase the sales of our CPUs and GPUs, whilst implementing nothing but a software switch in Mantle. Genius!!!

I totally agree;

We'll it's not going to be actually CPU heavy, we'll artificially make it so. It's risky because people might wonder why it runs well on a crappy XB1 APU but needs 80% of an o/c'd I5-3570k, but I think we can get away with it. We'll say PCs aren't optimised, but consoles are, no-one will question it.

I wonder whether you have played GTA 4 on PC, one of the worst porting games. Consoles and PC are different system, and without something like Mantle, of course there are different levels of optimization. Read about Mantle again, plz. And also, you should have some research about multiplayer games and learn why BF4 multiplayer mode is CPU heavy.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
that lame, 4 gpus initially? wow what hype over the last while and the result is 2 desktop and 2 apu's supported

IKR, because all technology should always be released without bugs, extra performance than promised, and ahead of schedule. Technology is easy to create, improve and evolve.

System Name [WIP]
Processor Intel Pentium G3420 [i7-4790K SOON(tm)]
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling [Corsair H100i]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB-2400-CL10 DDR3
Video Card(s) [MSI AMD Radeon R9-290 Gaming]
Storage Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD / [Samsung 256GB 840 PRO]
Display(s) [BenQ XL2420Z]
Case [Corsair Obsidian 750D]
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro / Linux Mint 15 / SteamOS
I wonder whether you have played GTA 4 on PC, one of the worst porting games. Consoles and PC are different system, and without something like Mantle, of course there are different levels of optimization. Read about Mantle again, plz. And also, you should have some research about multiplayer games and learn why BF4 multiplayer mode is CPU heavy.
Yeah, but Rockstar did good with Max Mayne 3 (same engine, most not a port, specific PC-enhancements done, actual PC code). So fingers crossed GTA V walks in it's path.

What are people discussing here anyway? Mantle is far from an official release and doesn't have it's documentation layed out yet. AMD said a Q3 2014 for it's "1.0"/golden release. And honestly, BF4 seems like a rushed/at-the-last-moment release, we shall see how it performs with other Frostbite 3 games, as well as games built from the ground-up for it in the more distant future. So far tho, even with AMD's ocasionally lackluster drivers, it's pretty impressive and I support it 100% (especially if/when it will goes open).

This thread only serves to confuse people even more with it's misleading BS rumour title.