• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Navi 21 XT Seemingly Confirmed to Run at ~2.3, 2.4 GHz Clock, 250 W+

Well it did have a rough launch driver wise so first month or so wasn’t great but fiasco is a bit of an exaggeration.

No the 5700 XT had game crashes (random black screen then turn off) for 6+ months. Then it took them 13 months to finally solve my Netflix and Youtube crashes from hardware accelerated decode. That is not acceptable for any company. I was 0/5 for AMD for 5 different customers (had to return or sell all of them) until I bought a 5600 XT from MSI a month ago.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
No the 5700 XT had game crashes (random black screen then turn off) for 6+ months. Then it took them 13 months to finally solve my Netflix and Youtube crashes from hardware accelerated decode. That is not acceptable for any company.
Hardware acceleration has had issues on both sides with certain apps on and off. Definitely not just an AMD issue.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I was pointing out the 30 series is a worse launch and even that isn't being described as a fiasco. Even you say it yourself the 5700xt launch couldn't be described as a fiasco.

It's funny, that AMD fiasco. Not a single reviewer could replicate the issues. Not saying it didn't happen to some degree but it seems to it was more a bandwagon than a fact finding investigation. I can't tell you how many times I've read "turns out it wasn't my 5700 XT that was the issue" on reddit. It comes as no surprise that random anecdotal evidence on reddit does not qualify as fact. I guess the more people spend, the more they feel it necessary to defend that purchase. Makes sense giving turing was the worst generation price to performance increase wise in Nvidia history.

The 30xx series launch has certainly been a fiasco and we can all verify the facts of that.

Hardware acceleration has had issues on both sides with certain apps on and off. Definitely not just an AMD issue.
Exactly, all processes corresponds via OS. Microsoft also has fingerprint into quality and efficiency of hardware acceleration. Maybe I'm wrong?

I build computers for a living. I built 5 different RX 5700 XT computers, all with completely different parts, and all of them had some kind of severe crashing issue with the RX 5700 XT. I don't need to rely on youtubers for info, I'm more of an expert than they are. Over 100 video cards have passed through my hands in the last year. I know people want AMD to be healthy, but their driver team really messed up in the last year. Every computer without exception fixed by switching to nVidia or an OLD AMD card. The black screen bug was caused by many many different things, and they were playing whack a mole one at a time all year long.

I'll be first in line for the latest AMD card, but believe me I'm only giving them one or two chances.

Last edited:
Wait what ? What about the encoding engine with the on pair features that was there for ages? VCE ?
I use A's video converter (free) for simple recodings if the quality doesn't matter (ans speed is preferred.... on the other hand with a 3960X it doesn't really make that much difference...).
If I want to achieve a high quality then no HW encoder is able to deliver it. Only high quality 2-pass encoding on a CPU.
You do realize it doesn’t perform as well as NVENC both in speed and quality right? This fanboism is hilarious to me.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I get it. That doesn't mean it still wasn't a significant issue. If 98% of people were fine before and 97% were during the peak.. that's 50% more issues. It was enough of a problem that amd had to publically address it. There were threads all over here, there, reddit, and everywhere. More than the usual background static for sure... for several months. The blackscreen issue was "known" (listed) on their release notes for months. I dont call that hype. I would call it a non issue at this point.
I didn't say there wasn't a significant issue, just that not everyone was effected, your playing it up and clearly you think I'm downplaying it, so it's likely between the two eh.
We both agree those issues are in the past and I'm sure we both agree they could return at any moment, for any brand , the quality control on software isn't what it could be in most companies IMHO.

System Name Red Oger
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard ASRock Fatality X370 Gaming K4
Cooling Wraith Spire
Memory G.Skill RipJaws V 3200 16GB (8 x 2GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD + Samsung EVO 850 512GB
Display(s) LG LED 23,8” IPS Full HD 24MP58VQ-P
Case NZXT S340 Red/Black
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower Grang RGB 650W Full Modular
Mouse CM Masterkeys Lite L (Mouse & Keyboard Combo)
I'm very much curious about the CU count on the XTX variant as the XT should have 80CU and is supposed to be the one shown on October 8th during Zen 3 announcement.

If price is right and drivers are also fine at launch, the car lineup is to be success.

I've read some more info here and there and about the clock speed around the Navi21 variants.

I'll leave this here as additional to "tweeting rumors" of the day:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Thing is the black screen issue stil creeps randomly and even with being set up to collect crash dumps and the crash mitigations that are currently in place, getting data to send to AMD has proven difficult but without some kind of log/dump files to pinpoint the issue it still remains random and elusive. I’ve personally never had one but was trying to help someone who was and hoping he’d have a dump or a log to forward but alas nope...

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I build computers for a living. I built 5 different RX 5700 XT computers, all with completely different parts, and all of them had some kind of severe crashing issue with the RX 5700 XT. I don't need to rely on youtubers for info, I'm more of an expert than they are. Over 100 video cards have passed through my hands in the last year. I know people want AMD to be healthy, but their driver team really messed up in the last year. Every computer without exception fixed by switching to nVidia. The black screen bug was caused by many many different things, and they were playing whack a mole one at a time all year long.

I'll be first in line for the latest AMD card, but believe me I'm only giving them one or two chances.

Statistically speaking having 5 cards with problems is extremely unlikely. Typical GPU RMA rate is 0.8%. AMD's 5700 XT return rate was 1.7% at the height of the driver issues.

Just saying, if your return rate for AMD is 100% either you are one in a billion unlucky or there is something else going on.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
AMD's trademark: driver problems, to this day not solved.
And yes, it is power hungry. 5700 has better perf/W than its direct competitor, 5700XT, pushed a little harder, doesn't.
Personally, I wouldn't call 5700XT a fisaco (if you didn't care about RTRT, it is basically a 2070 for $100 less), but it certainly seemed to have more problems than usual. One problem actually, but very annoying knowing AMD couldn't solve it.

Sorry, but wut.

I pre-ordered my 9600XT and had zero issues with it. The 9xxx series was pretty good, and came with HL2 where the ATI drivers worked (without washed out colors) unlike Nvidia, and better performance and their AF actually worked at the time.

Emu

No the 5700 XT had game crashes (random black screen then turn off) for 6+ months. Then it took them 13 months to finally solve my Netflix and Youtube crashes from hardware accelerated decode. That is not acceptable for any company. I was 0/5 for AMD for 5 different customers (had to return or sell all of them) until I bought a 5600 XT from MSI a month ago.

Funnily enough, I have that same issue still with my RTX 2080 ti with crashing to desktop and/or the screen turning off. It is random enough that I cannot just return my card though.

It's funny, that AMD fiasco. Not a single reviewer could replicate the issues. Not saying it didn't happen to some degree but it seems to it was more a bandwagon than a fact finding investigation. I can't tell you how many times I've read "turns out it wasn't my 5700 XT that was the issue" on reddit. It comes as no surprise that random anecdotal evidence on reddit does not qualify as fact. I guess the more people spend, the more they feel it necessary to defend that purchase. Makes sense giving turing was the worst generation price to performance increase wise in Nvidia history.

The 30xx series launch has certainly been a fiasco and we can all verify the facts of that.

Yep. PCI-E 4.0 and certain overclocked memory profiles, caused issues. When people turned down memory settings, suddenly the card worked perfect. Not AMD's fault for voiding stability when overclocking.

Yep. PCI-E 4.0 and certain overclocked memory profiles, caused issues. When people turned down memory settings, suddenly the card worked perfect. Not AMD's fault for voiding stability when overclocking.
Indeed

Many people were strongly GPU limited and didn't realised that their CPU Overclock wasn't stable at all. By putting a much faster GPU, the cpu finally had enough work to clock high enough to cause stability issue. It do not mean that Windows say your cpu is clocking at x frequency that it's actually doing that. By example my R5 3600 don't even clock at base clock in game due to me being GPU limited (no wonder why i am commenting on GPU news... lol)

The truth is people that had similar experience on Nvidia side thought about their CPU where on AMD with their bad driver reputation, they automatically got the blame.

But taht do not means some had real driver issue. But these aren't just AMD, you can have rare issue on Nvidia side too. But on AMD side they will blame the GPU, on Nvidia, they will blame all the rest of the system.

But in the end, NAVI was a new architecture and the driver had to mature. I suspect the change from Navi 10 to Navi 21 aren't large enough to have big drivers issues. That do not means there won't be, Even Nvidia had some with the 3080.

But the good news is this market is getting very competitive. That is the best thing that can happen for us. More than just AMD destroying Nvidia or vice versa (oh god ... these click bait video on youtube...)

Statistically speaking having 5 cards with problems is extremely unlikely. Typical GPU RMA rate is 0.8%. AMD's 5700 XT return rate was 1.7% at the height of the driver issues.

Just saying, if your return rate for AMD is 100% either you are one in a billion unlucky or there is something else going on.

Having 5 cards with problems from the drivers is absolutely likely. The cards are not broken. It isn't about returns. It is about not working properly. People keep stuff that crashes too much, but it wouldn't crash with an RX 580 or nVidia card. RMA or not means nothing. If I build a computer for someone and I get called back to fix it, then I know the issue. The card isn't returned. They'll give you a replacement that has the same problem as the hardware isn't the issue, the drivers are.

Last edited:
System Name MonsterPC
Processor AMD X7950X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG E670X ACE
Cooling Corsair Cappelix H150i
Memory 128GB DDR5 @5600
Video Card(s) AMD RX7900XTX
Storage 120TB HDD + 3x 2TB SSD RAID, External - 390 TB Various HDD drives
Display(s) C49RG90
Case BIG Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI 4 + SteelSeries Arctis Pro USB
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse SteelSeries Rival710
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software W10 x64
You do realize it doesn’t perform as well as NVENC both in speed and quality right? This fanboism is hilarious to me.

And here you are completely missing my point (reading with understanding problems?). Where did I said that VCE is better? Where did I stated that I find this solution superior?
I am not a streamer, I don't give a damn about OBS or whatsoever.
If I want a quality video material then by all means I don't use either NVENC or VCE, I use tuned 2-pass profiles and encoding on the Threadripper 3960X.

Calling someone a fanboy without understanding the point is hilarious to me.

Funnily enough, I have that same issue still with my RTX 2080 ti with crashing to desktop and/or the screen turning off. It is random enough that I cannot just return my card though.

The AMD issue is very specific. The screen goes black, the audio continues, then it hard crashes. There were MANY different things causing that to happen. I'd love for AMD to give an explanation but they won't. Crashing to desktop is very different and not as severe. I hope you can find a fix. Try underclocking your card, crashes to desktop are a lot easier to get a handle on than hard faults.

Last edited:
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
It isn't about returns. It is about not working properly. People keep stuff that doesn't work and that crashes, but it wouldn't crash with an RX 580 or nVidia card.
I had a different experience , I have a gtx460X2 ,A Gtx560 too that were always a nightmare and just dead respectively, they're in the draw of doom I kept them my first Polaris and this Vega will be there before long but all the AMD card's have on my life, continuously crunched, folded or for a bit mined on AMD driver's both stock , heavily over clocked on air and water solidly, I wouldn't knock your experiences though I have not used an rDNA card, there were architectural differences that require massive driver change's so I wouldn't be surprised if they had issues, evidently they did, excuse the pre emptive post.

Best part I’m sure many may not have even noticed was when “The Fixes” driver was released the. Boost clocks were raised so basically everyone got decent OC for their troubles.

I'll take a fix after one week over a fix after 13 months any day though ;)

I had a different experience , I have a gtx460X2 ,A Gtx560 too that were always a nightmare and just dead respectively, they're in the draw of doom I kept them my first Polaris and this Vega will be there before long but all the AMD card's have on my life, continuously crunched, folded or for a bit mined on AMD driver's both stock , heavily over clocked on air and water solidly, I wouldn't knock your experiences though I have not used an rDNA card, there were architectural differences that require massive driver change's so I wouldn't be surprised if they had issues, evidently they did, excuse the pre emptive post.

I've had tons and tons of AMD cards with no problems. The 5700 XT is different. In fact I used to consider nVidia's drivers to be worse historically (the Vista problems). I also had all nVidia cards crashing Hearthstone with certain high FPS monitors, and GTA5 so I used to actually replace nVidia cards with AMD cards to solve those problems (it took Blizzard a few years, but the Hearthstone launch crash has been fixed now).

I'm just worried the partisanship has really led AMD fans and even AMD itself to not take their driver issues seriously. (Hopefully they've reorganized their team and hired more people). They can't afford the 5700 XT fiasco to happen again with their next launch. I also found AMD's support to be dismissive. Like I'll show the "gpu accelerated bug" caused my GPU to go to 100 percent usage and drop frame rates in youtube to a few fps, and file a report and they'll say "we can't replicate that issue" and that's it. Like one guy tries it, discounts it, and gives up. Never fixes it. People won't be AMD customers for long with that kind of quality.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Having 5 cards with problems from the drivers is absolutely likely. The cards are not broken. It isn't about returns. It is about not working properly. People keep stuff that crashes too much, but it wouldn't crash with an RX 580 or nVidia card. RMA or not means nothing. If I build a computer for someone and I get called back to fix it, then I know the issue. The card isn't returned. They'll give you a replacement that has the same problem as the hardware isn't the issue, the drivers are.

No because polls from hardware unboxed 3 months back suggest that only 7% of card owners were having severe issues like what you were describing (and lets be honest here, a number of those users are likely Nvidia owners checking the box that makes AMD look worst). You are suggesting that 100% of 5700 / 5700 XTs had issues and that simply isn't true. I should not have to say that though, if 100% had issues, drivers or otherwise, AMD would have been decimated. Why you make the assumption that 5/5 cards having issues is "likely" . No, in no universe is it. None of the data supports that and we haven't ever seen anywhere near 100%.

My prior statement stands: Either you are extraordinary unlucky or there is something else going on.

I'm just worried the partisanship has really led AMD fans and even AMD itself to not take their driver issues seriously. (Hopefully they've reorganized their team and hired more people). They can't afford the 5700 XT fiasco to happen again with their next launch. I also found AMD's support to be dismissive. Like I'll show the "gpu accelerated bug" caused my GPU to go to 100 percent usage and drop frame rates in youtube to a few fps, and file a report and they'll say "we can't replicate that issue" and that's it. Like one guy tries it, discounts it, and gives up. Never fixes it. People won't be AMD customers for long with that kind of quality.

No one's saying AMD shouldn't improve it's drivers. Navi clearly had / has issues.

The problem is when people come into threads making claims like 100% of AMD cards have issues. You can't complain about partisanship when you yourself added to it.

the issues thing would have been front page news like the nvidia shortage of 3000 series cards if everyone was having the problems... move on

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I didn't say there wasn't a significant issue, just that not everyone was effected, your playing it up and clearly you think I'm downplaying it, so it's likely between the two eh.
We both agree those issues are in the past and I'm sure we both agree they could return at any moment, for any brand , the quality control on software isn't what it could be in most companies IMHO.
lol, I'm not playing it up. I'm a realist. The issue wasn't hyped. I'll leave it at that. ;)

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
good news to consumer but it can be more damaging to AMD.
How can a good card be bad for AMD as Xfx have shown, there's a market for all their old cards, the new, well see.

Unlike some I think there's room for more profitable GPU vendors not less.

Back in the dawn of 3d the pliable market was small so many a maker went under or we're bought, now two is far from enough, or balance.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
How can a good card be bad for AMD as Xfx have shown, there's a market for all their old cards, the new, well see.
Yeah talking about all these “Navi issues” And XFX really didn’t help with their release...thankfully the came out with a redesign that it now one of the better regarded cards