• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Polaris 10 "Ellesmere" as Fast as GTX 980 Ti: Rumor

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I simply got tired of waiting around for the next best thing from AMD GPUs. So I ordered a Sapphire 390X Toxic card last month and I'm ordering the second one tomorrow.
Crossfire R9-390X cards should be fine for gaming.
Also, I have a pair of 980Ti cards in SLI in another box, and those are wicked-fast.

They should both (AMD & NVIDIA) release whatever they're going to, and I'll wait for reviews and prices to stabilize before I consider buying anything else.

Outlander_04

It's basically about what margins they would have at $300.
Chips at 14/16nm will be much smaller, thus much cheaper than they are at 28nm. And it seems we won't get a big performance boost to go along, thus saving should go mostly into costs/price.

Intels 14 nm is not cheaper than the previous 22 nm despite size reductions . The manufacturing process and possibly yields mean the cost per die is marginally more than the previous generation [ unlike every other die shrink ]
So lets assume that Samsung/GF/AMD face the same challenge . Cost will be about the same as the previous generation , but performance will be greater . Probably they will open with a price hike to make current stock seem worth while. My guess is $340 US for the R9 490 . Add another $50 to that for the 480X . Still undercutting the 980ti by about $150

That would be an enourmous achievement. GCN is currently way behind Maxwell, and Pascal is a major architectural overhaul while 4th generation GCN is not. Keep in mind that Fiji is just performing close to GM200, even though it has 50% more theoretical performance.

A 200mm² chip is not going to be hig-end, and even AMD says they're targeting mainstream. You'll have to wait at least until Vega before AMD is even trying, if ever again..

First off, we don't know how these two chips perform. Pascal is just a marketing name. All Nvidia's chips since Fermi have had very similar micro-architectural designs.

Perhaps AMD managed to find major bottleneck/bottlenecks in their earlier "GCN" designs and fixed them with Polaris. We don't know. What we know is that they claim to have improved "shader efficiency", which means more performance with the same amount of processing power or SP count. They also claim to have improved Tessellation performance, which is a major weakness of AMD cards.
The same goes for Nvidia, we don't how well their new chips will perform. We need to wait to see.

Back when the 4000 and 200 series cards were released, the 4870 was position by AMD against the GTX980. Well... it turned out that the 4870 could wrestle with the GTX280 and beat it in some games.
http://techreport.com/review/14990/amd-radeon-hd-4870-graphics-processor

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
First off, we don't know how these two chips perform. Pascal is just a marketing name. All Nvidia's chips since Fermi have had very similar micro-architectural designs.
Not true at all, we know from GP100 that Pascal is a huge step forward in CUDA code performance, the biggest in may years. AMD on the other side has stated that larger changes in GCN has to wait until 2017 because Zen is a priority.

What we know is that they claim to have improved "shader efficiency", which means more performance with the same amount of processing power or SP count.
To keep up with Nvidia's improvements AMD would need to more than double it's performance, in addition to the shrink itself.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
AMD will be shooting themselves in the foot if they launch at $300. NVIDIA will be forced to drop their prices to compete. Good for consumers but AMD can't exactly afford that.

Remember AMD 5xxx times?
Slower, more power hungry and more expensive NV chips still kept more than 50% of the market share.

=[

I should make some slides showing something that people desperately want to be true, then release them to websites that do no fact-checking.
They demoed a game though. So "980 Ti" levels comes from there.
I'm not talking about PS4k chip, though.

There in no way shape or form do i believe that a "PS4.5" could be anywhere near the level of a 980ti
It's "kinda confirmed" that GPU speed will more than double. So it comes down to how do you rate 7870 in the "optimized for this card" context.

Outlander_04

Not true at all, we know from GP100 that Pascal is a huge step forward in CUDA code performance, the biggest in may years. AMD on the other side has stated that larger changes in GCN has to wait until 2017 because Zen is a priority.

To keep up with Nvidia's improvements AMD would need to more than double it's performance, in addition to the shrink itself.

I am completely baffled by your post . To keep up with nVidia AMD would have to what?
Buy an R9 390 or a GTX 970 . The AMD is marginally cheaper . The two swap the lead in games at 1080p , but the R9 is better at higher resolutions [ usually ] . And the Radeon architecture looks to be the better option for DX 12 [ in the very few examples available ]
How does the AMD need to be twice as good?

What we do know is that polaris is using way less power than current generation nvidia graphics cards at similar performance levels . That is as you would expect . 14nm vs 28 nm .

As for which of the new architectures will perform better per watt and per dollar is anyone's guess
Way too early to call.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I am completely baffled by your post . To keep up with nVidia AMD would have to what?
How does the AMD need to be twice as good?
Because right now AMD needs over 50% more theoretical performance and a much larger chip to "compete", like Fury X compared to GTX 980 Ti, R9 390(X) to GTX 970/980 and so on. This is the primary reason why AMD is struggling with it's energy consumption. Pascal is the most significant improvement in a decade on top of that, so AMD would need to catch up both with both the Maxwell improvements and Pascal in one sweep, with 4th generation GCN which is only a minor architectural tweak. You are allowed to have dreams, so dream on.

And the Radeon architecture looks to be the better option for DX 12 [ in the very few examples available ]
As mentioned before most people forget that Nvidia brought the driver side changes of Direct3D 12 to all APIs, which is the reason why people think Nvidia does not support Direct3D 12 well.

What we do know is that polaris is using way less power than current generation nvidia graphics cards at similar performance levels . That is as you would expect . 14nm vs 28 nm.
Have you forgot that Nvidia is also doing a node shrink? Any improvement AMD gets from the new node Nvidia will get as well, and Nvidia is bringing major architectural changes as well.

Outlander_04

Because right now AMD needs over 50% more theoretical performance and a much larger chip to "compete", like Fury X compared to GTX 980 Ti, R9 390(X) to GTX 970/980 and so on. This is the primary reason why AMD is struggling with it's energy consumption. Pascal is the most significant improvement in a decade on top of that, so AMD would need to catch up both with both the Maxwell improvements and Pascal in one sweep, with 4th generation GCN which is only a minor architectural tweak. You are allowed to have dreams, so dream on.

As mentioned before most people forget that Nvidia brought the driver side changes of Direct3D 12 to all APIs, which is the reason why people think Nvidia does not support Direct3D 12 well.

Have you forgot that Nvidia is also doing a node shrink? Any improvement AMD gets from the new node Nvidia will get as well, and Nvidia is bringing major architectural changes as well.

Again your post baffles me.
Its almost like you have abandoned logic and reason to tell us how much better you think one brand is compared to the other.

So I will repeat a few points
1/ In the very few DX12 benchmarks available the existing radeon architecture is well out performing the current nvidia chips . This might be a trend , or it might be just a few results that do not indicate a trend .
2/ AMD say much lower power consumption , and much higher performance per watt . We can judge who has the most power efficient architecture AFTER next gen cards are reviewed and not before .
3/ It looks like nvidia is opening their 16 nm manufacture with high end cards that will be sold in very small number . AMD have aimed squarely at the performance enthusiast market where they hope to get the highest turn over and market penetration .
4/My "dreams" dont affect hardware performance . But then neither do yours so its best we wait for some actual benchmarks

Again your post baffles me.

I think the point he is trying to make is that Nvidia got a lot more performance and energy efficiency out of 28nm because of better architecture. Now that both are going to smaller processes, there is every reason to believe that relationship will continue. Nvidia spends a lot more on R&D. Even if AMD defies the odds with Polaris and Vega and produces an architecture that is as good as Nvidia's, it will be difficult for them to sustain it. It would be going from highly unlikely to a miracle. More likely AMD will need to sell less efficient chips at lower profit margins to make them performance competitive, just as they have been.

Outlander_04

I think the point he is trying to make is that Nvidia got a lot more performance and energy efficiency out of 28nm because of better architecture. Now that both are going to smaller processes, there is every reason to believe that relationship will continue. Nvidia spends a lot more on R&D. Even if AMD defies the odds with Polaris and Vega and produces an architecture that is as good as Nvidia's, it will be difficult for them to sustain it. It would be going from highly unlikely to a miracle. More likely AMD will need to sell less efficient chips at lower profit margins to make them performance competitive, just as they have been.

Its an interesting point but one without too much merit . AMD are not just running a die shrink so its a spurious argument .
Secondly if the margins seen in DX 12 apply to next generation cards as well then you could turn down AMD clock speed 20% cutting power consumption by more than 50% and still be competitive with nvidias architecture . This is also a spurious argument .
Arguably the 14nm finfet process is superior to TSMC's 16 nm . But that also might not matter .

Lets wait and find out after the cards are released

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

AMD kept the actual DX12 hardware in, plus some DP hardware that makes heat, and their waaaaayyy outdated video output logic tied to the core/memory speed has been their other issue except they render video better due to its configuration.

So when we want to look at apple to apples power consumption, lets look at why its more on many chips, and the issues faced by Nvidia with multiple displays and corruption, poor video playback, and TDR issues with power switching.

I don't think you're being objective here mate. Despite being smaller, Polaris10 packs 7-8 Billion transistors, which is almost as many as the GP104 packs. Also, both GP104 and Polaris10 are rumored to have the same number of FP32 units, which is 31/32 * 2560 = 2480. Hawaii had 2880 * 3/4 = 2112 FP32 units (I believe). And so ideally both Polaris10 and GP104 should perform about the same at similar clock speeds.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
I don't think you're being objective here mate. Despite being smaller, Polaris10 packs 7-8 Billion transistors, which is almost as many as the GP104 packs. Also, both GP104 and Polaris10 are rumored to have the same number of FP32 units, which is 31/32 * 2560 = 2480. Hawaii had 2880 * 3/4 = 2112 FP32 units (I believe). And so ideally both Polaris10 and GP104 should perform about the same at similar clock speeds.

Except, you can't compare the cores like that. Take a look at FuryX core makeup vs. that of GTX 980Ti.

Except, you can't compare the cores like that. Take a look at FuryX core makeup vs. that of GTX 980Ti.

Radeon Technologies Group_Graphics 2016-page-005_575px.jpg

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Ultimately I just feel sorry for Fury X, soo much hype, such a big fat let down.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,OCZ Vector 512GB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11

There's always improvements to efficiency in the GPUs released time after time. Still, you cannot directly compare the GPUs.

As I was alluding to, Fury X had 4,000+ cores vs. 980Ti with 3,000+ cores. They performed similarly. To think that the new Pascal architecture wouldn't also improve shader efficiency is foolish.

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
On another forum this news is titled as "nearly as fast as 980Ti."

Which is Imo more accurate estimation.

This is just around AMD 390x and Nano or 980GTX perf... Same with GP104 Pascal between 980 and 980Ti..