• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD puts image quality debate to bed

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Hexus had an interview with AMD technical staff about this controversy and their answers seemed quite reasonable to me. I don't think AMD has done anything underhand. In particular, there's always the High Quality setting for a picture perfect, unoptimised mode. It sounds like this is the mode that should be used when benchmarking cards, especially against their competition nvidia, which should have the equivalent settings activated.

Dave explained to us that there had been some changes to the Catalyst drivers to coincide with the release of the HD 6000-series GPUs, and that image quality had been a big part of that. At the heart of all this is Catalyst AI, which controls a whole host of different settings via a single slider.

Responding to feedback, this single slider was divided into a number of different settings in the latest release, giving users a bit more control. One of the new additions was a slider to control texture filtering with settings for 'High Quality', 'Quality' and 'Performance'.

High Quality turns off all optimisations and lets the software run exactly as it was originally intended to. Quality - which is now the default setting - applies some optimisations that the team at AMD believes - after some serious testing, benchmarking and image comparisons - will maintain the integrity of the image while increasing the application performance. Lastly, the Performance setting applies even more of these optimisations to squeeze out a few more frames, but risks degrading the image quality just a bit.

Full Hexus article

Please observe forum etiquette: this is one of those subjects that can make fanbois on all sides wave their handbags around, causing our moderators to swing into action with warnings and infractions all round and possibly shut down the thread.

Let's keep this one pleasant people and enjoy the discussion. :toast:

System Name pubg machine
Processor Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard MSI Gaming Edge Wifi x570
Cooling Kraken Z73
Memory 32GB Dominator RGB
Video Card(s) RTX 3080FE
Storage Firecuda 520 2TB
Display(s) Odyssey G7
Case h710i
Audio Device(s) Arctis pro wireless
Power Supply NZXT c1000
Mouse Logitech g pro wireless
Keyboard Logitech g915 tkl
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores pwning n00bs like you
Nice article qubit. It's interesting to hear different sides to the story and the description the amd guy provided was believable to me.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Funny, I've tried to make this adjustment on the slider appear, and have had no success. I call shens!!!

:nutkick:

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
These are just your typical optimizations both companies do, nothing really worth getting worked up about as long as they give you control over it. What is annoying though is how one or the other company always seems to develop a driver bug that only effects crysis for some reason right around a new card release. First instance I remember is in 8800 gt vs 3870 reviews, where I think nvidia disabled water reflections. It'd be nice if both of them knocked that shit off.