• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon Boss Raja Koduri Jumps Ship

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Thank you for the insult, I wont stoop to your level.
I am not here to argue with you but once again you are the eternal optimist when it comes to AMD and your speculations are useless (not a personal insult just that speculation is useless) like many of your other posts about Vega/Polaris before they came out. I am a realist so I don't expect anything but more of the same until the product comes out and the real specifics are reported.

As for your driver issues all I can do is take your word for it since I have not had those issues but I hope you get them resolved.

Try not to be so dramatic, state facts/specifics and move on. In your second paragraph it sounds like you have a vendetta against your GPU.

You don't have to take his word for the driver issues, it's been pretty obvious that Nvidia's had a pretty rough year with it's drivers. They've made news multiple times on TechPowerUp and other tech websites for them in fact. Don't know why you are denying that so hard. Just give credit where credit is due, AMD has done well with it's drivers, Vega is medicore at best, and Pascal is excellent. The reason Nvidia is in the lead is because of Maxwell and Pascal, two awesome GPU series in a row. AMD on the otherhand had the 300 series, a refresh, the 400 series, which was pretty good but competed was still a gen behind pascal, and Vega, which launched with far too high voltage.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You don't have to take his word for the driver issues, it's been pretty obvious that Nvidia's had a pretty rough year with it's drivers. They've made news multiple times on TechPowerUp and other tech websites for them in fact. Don't know why you are denying that so hard. Just give credit where credit is due, AMD has done well with it's drivers, Vega is medicore at best, and Pascal is excellent. The reason Nvidia is in the lead is because of Maxwell and Pascal, two awesome GPU series in a row. AMD on the otherhand had the 300 series, a refresh, the 400 series, which was pretty good but competed was still a gen behind pascal, and Vega, which launched with far too high voltage.
Because the games that this user is playing do not have issues on NV hardware. I specifically left AMD hardware behind because of the shit quality of cards and the shit drivers... BEFORE Raja ever took over. This has been a problem for AMD since the 2900XT, if we are really honest. AMD had a minor win with 4870/4890 and slightly with 5870, but afterwords... they've been far from decent. I went through 10 replacement 5870's trying to get CrossfireX and Eyefinity working right, and nothing has improved since then. They hyped features, but the features are broken, every generation since.

Meanwhile, I am typing this on a 7970.... and Ryzen. I use all hardware, but for gaming, I chose NV, because for the games I play, they work better.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Because the games that this user is playing do not have issues on NV hardware. I specifically left AMD hardware behind because of the shit quality of cards and the shit drivers... BEFORE Raja ever took over. This has been a problem for AMD since the 2900XT, if we are really honest. AMD had a minor win with 4870/4890 and slightly with 5870, but afterwords... they've been far from decent. I went through 10 replacement 5870's trying to get CrossfireX and Eyefinity working right, and nothing has improved since then. They hyped features, but the features are broken, every generation since.

Meanwhile, I am typing this on a 7970.... and Ryzen. I use all hardware, but for gaming, I chose NV, because for the games I play, they work better.

You left out the 7970 right? I mean you are using one right now. It was an awesome card back in the day and is still able to play games at 1080p high at sub 50 FPS.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You left out the 7970 right? I mean you are using one right now. It was an awesome card back in the day and is still able to play games at 1080p high at sub 50 FPS.
Actually, no, it's not that great of a card. I mean it works, but... eyefinity was ass with it. It was the last generation that I bought AMD cards, as I had been trying to get a working eyefinity system since they offered the tech, but never got it working the way it should.

As a single GPU, it's not bad, but I game at 2560x1600 with a single monitor, and have since 2007 when I bought a Dell 3007WFP. AMD cards weren't good enough for me as a single, but neither was NV... but NV SLI worked better than Crossfire for me, and with the high res of my monitor, I did need multiple GPUS to get decent framerates as I am quite sensitive to low FPS. I have been a high-end user for a long time, and AMD has not met the needs of high-end users for many many generations now. For those with 1376/758 monitors, sure, it's a viable card.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Praise Raja all you want. In the end the hard facts just detroyed whatever hype he was generating.

On the front of graphics they failed miserably. You think Crimson driver is good? Overwatch is broken for what, 6 months now? Go to reddit. Tons of issues with even basic AMD tech like FreeSync. I would take Nvidia 's "boring" but functional driver over this Crimson neon flashy poop any time.

On the front of computing they can't touch nvidia. Hardware wise they can not compete. Software wise they don't even provide proper OpenCL tech support.

Raja promised more than what he can deliver. If he just focused on graphics it might end up better.

Good riddance.

you may want to ask @fullinfusion what maybe coming down the turnpike because he is our own inhouse driver tester.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
you may want to ask @fullinfusion what maybe coming down the turnpike because he is our own inhouse driver tester.

He leaked something about a Crimson Redux driver, introducing stuff like FPS counter and GPU temp monitor in-game. Sort of like MSI Afterbuner interface?

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
He's just tired of being the scapegoat despite how little resources AMD had given to his team. Radeon would've been better in the hands of Intel or Samsung.

Also seems like he's joining Intel; basically what should've happened in the first place: Intel buying ATI and AMD joining forces with Nvidia. That would've been one hell of a battle.

Wouldn't be much of a battle, since Intel is still about 10 times bigger than AMD and nVidia together. Giving them the opportunity to produce capable GPUs would propably sent nVidia to AMD's faith too.

Remember! All the downside AMD/Radeon has, comes from lacking of resources. And all the resources nVidia has, came from the fact they don't have a bigger one to compete with.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
After the Vega debacle someone was always gonna have to fall on a Ruby sized sword, and boys it wasn't going to be Lisa.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
That's because you don't understand technology. It's not because Vega is bad, it's because we know what they've done with Ryzen (which is what makes it so good in a very large portion) and Navi will be employing similar tech. Making massive monolithic chips is difficult, expensive and has very low yields. What Navi will bring is making "big cheap" with high yields for lower price by "gluing" together smaller "cores". That's what Navi will be. Now, doing just this alone won't be enough as they need to also do something with GCN thing. It's great for compute, but it seems to really struggle with current games.

And saying NVIDIA has excellent drivers... if you'd only know what kind of bullshit problems I'm going through with NVIDIA for months now... And all connected to monumentally fucked up V-Sync logic. Horrible image tearing and corruption all over the place for videos in various V-Sync states. Something I never experienced on any Radeon for years. I mean, how can one fuck up V-Sync? Like, seriously? And yeah, NVIDIA Control Panel is garbage. It's buggy as hell, horrendously slow, loaded with dumb glitches all over the place and all this has existed for years. Just shows the QA levels at NVIDIA and how much their users give a F about quality and experience. I'd be furious to pay 800€ for a graphic card which is then controlled with such utter garbage UI. Which explains why I'm furious about it right here. When you have the fastest graphic card in the world and you still go and check RX Vega offerings (twice!), one might ask the question what's wrong with it... Yeah, it's ridiculously fast. When it works. When it doesn't (and that seems to be happening a lot), it's the biggest dumpster fire I've seen in last decade. At least their tech support does respond in a timely fashion and they aren't complete idiots like I'm used with most tech supports.

GM200,GP100,GP102,and currently GV100 seem to point that while it is more difficult to make bigger chips, we've come so far with technology it's actuallly never been more feasible. Nvidia can do a 600mm2 GM200 DDR5 in 28nm at 250W TDP and a 815mm2 GV100 at 300W, Vega is 480mm2 HBM2 at 350W in 14nm. AMD need an architectural overhaul, GCN was good in first three or four rounds against Kepler and Maxwell but now it's got no legs left. No wonder Raja jumped ship.

About the other part of your post I'm just gonna say there's probably something wrong with either your system or you personally if your experience with nvidia software is THAT awful. Judging by your tone I'm guessing the latter. I've had GTX980,980Ti and now 1080, been with nvidia since Maxwell released in 2014. Never had v-sync tearing or image tearing and corruption in videos in my rig although I've seen it in many of my crappy workplace computers equipped with GeForce GT210, Win Vista/XP and some ancient hardware. Nvcp can be slow but never seen it have glitches or bugs. It's been an issue in the past that you had to restart to make a transition form g-sync to ulmb, now it switches effortlessly between gsync,ulmb,v-sync or fast sync. Dude, you're PMSing all over this thread. Stahp!

Processor i7-13900K
Motherboard ROG Maximus Z690
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Interesting article from HardOCP last year...

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility#.V0hUUmOdPlI

Where the plot thickens is when you look at the Koduri’s unwavering ambition. Koduri’s ultimate goal is to separate the Radeon Technologies Group from its corporate parent at all costs with the delusion that RTG will be more competitive with NVIDIA and become a possible acquisition target for Koduri and his band of mutineers to cash in when it's sold. While Koduri is known to have a strong desire to do this by forging a new relationship with Apple on custom parts (no surprise there) for Macbooks, the real focus is on trying to become the GPU technology supplier of choice to none other than Intel. While this was speculated some time ago I can tell you with certainty that a deal is in the works with Intel and Koduri and his team of marauders working overtime to get the deal pulled into port ASAP. The Polaris 10/11 launch, and all of its problems, are set to become a future problem of Intel’s in what RTG believes will be a lucrative agreement that will allow Koduri and his men to slash the lines from Lisa Su and the rest of AMD.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Threads gotten boring to me already.

/thread

GM200,GP100,GP102,and currently GV100 seem to point that while it is more difficult to make bigger chips, we've come so far with technology it's actuallly never been more feasible. Nvidia can do a 600mm2 GM200 DDR5 in 28nm at 250W TDP and a 815mm2 GV100 at 300W, Vega is 480mm2 HBM2 at 350W in 14nm. AMD need an architectural overhaul, GCN was good in first three or four rounds against Kepler and Maxwell but now it's got no legs left. No wonder Raja jumped ship.

About the other part of your post I'm just gonna say there's probably something wrong with either your system or you personally if your experience with nvidia software is THAT awful. Judging by your tone I'm guessing the latter. I've had GTX980,980Ti and now 1080, been with nvidia since Maxwell released in 2014. Never had v-sync tearing or image tearing and corruption in videos in my rig although I've seen it in many of my crappy workplace computers equipped with GeForce GT210, Win Vista/XP and some ancient hardware. Nvcp can be slow but never seen it have glitches or bugs. It's been an issue in the past that you had to restart to make a transition form g-sync to ulmb, now it switches effortlessly between gsync,ulmb,v-sync or fast sync. Dude, you're PMSing all over this thread. Stahp!

Judging by my tone it's the latter? No, my tone comes from paying fucking 800€ for a graphic card that has a piece of shit software used to power it. Gotta love the fanboyish denial. "Gotta be your system or you". No pal, it's NVIDIA and their garbage software. It was broken back when I had GTX 980 and it just got even more broken as I own GTX 1080Ti. The problems are very much reproducible and appear only under certain conditions. First it was constant Youtube video corruption with Fast V-Sync enabled, now it's horrible image tearing of Youtube with Adaptive or Fast V-Sync enabled, but it's only happening in Chrome and Opera (not in Edge or Firefox). And my eagle eyes spotted the tearing easily. I bet most people are so blind they don't even know the image is tearing in front of their eyes. It's not bothering them, but it sure as hell is bothering me. DSR for example will default to 60Hz at 4K to 1080p output even though I have a 144Hz screen which makes image painful to watch as it's flickering unlike with 144Hz where it doesn't, meaning I can't even use DSR because it physically hurts my eyes. Reported it, they didn't fix jack shit. Oh and DSR doesn't even work if you don't reboot the system. They of course don't mention this anywhere so you look like a retard trying to enable new resolution which isn't there because you didn't reboot. This bug was introduced recently because I know it worked straight away back on GTX 980. Reported both, they fixed none.

As for the "never seen any NV CP glitches". C'mon, go into the main graphics settings, scroll all the way down, change something and click apply. Not that it takes freaking 5 seconds to apply, the whole menu will also jump back to the top every single god damn time. If I had my own software and was behaving like this I'd fire the idiots working in QA department. It's utterly unforgivable that products that cost nearly 4 digit prices are supported by eternally broken and glitched software. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but again, it sure as hell does bother me. I'm a part of freelance QA team for avast! Antivirus and we bitch and complain to the development team to fix all such bugs till they fix them. Because it's just completely unprofessional to allow such even so tiny bugs in any kind of product that people spend money on. Hell, I'd be ashamed to have such bugs in software that was provided entirely free of charge. Why people defend and dismiss bugs as "non existent" or "unimportant" is beyond me.

AMD's original control panel was pretty bad. Then they introduced CCC. It was a bit glitchy back then, but I already loved it over NVIDIA's. The new Crimson Control Panel is just sublime to use. It's ultra responsive, well organized, applies settings instantly and provides awesome features for overclocking and monitoring. NVIDIA on the other hand has the exact same panel they had back in 2004. And it's just as broken and bad as it was back then. They don't even bother fixing or improving it because people like you apparently endlessly defend it for god knows what reasons and they just say to themselves "Well, if they aren't bothered by endless bugs, why bother fixing them at all". And the result is visible when you open idiotic NV CP.

This is why I was gravitating towards RX Vega because of vastly better experience with drivers and software, but ultimately decided for GTX 1080Ti because it was a "better value" at the moment. I guess I greatly misjudged it, because software part is pissing me off beyond belief. Sure, when it works it's very fast, but ever since I bought it I'm dealing with dumb ass bugs and glitches and I'm getting really tired of them. And they aren't even 3D related ffs. It's all being broken in browsers (which I happen to use a lot which makes it a very important thing).

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
. I went through 10 replacement 5870's trying to get CrossfireX and Eyefinity working right, and nothing has improved since then. They hyped features, but the features are broken, every generation since.

Do you mean just on the 7970/cards that age? I've seen huge improvements over the last few years (290Xes in CF).

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
If you're forced by budgetary restraints to focus on a compute heavy card, it'll always suffer in games against a more streamlined product (Pascal). Not having product bifurcation harms AMD. That being said, Vega was a huge dissapointment. Fury X was a competent underdog/match/victor to 980ti but Vega stillk tussles with a 1080 (OC factoring in). How do you fall so far behind?

Regardless, the Intel space is now far more interesting to watch. If Intel has any IP rights in their AMD deal, they might be able to drastically improve the mobile format with their bazillions of $$$.

System Name Dark Sith Lord / Fat Boy
Processor AMD Ryzen7 2700X / AMD FX 8350
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming / Gigabyte 990XA UD3 R5
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Turbo LED (2x120mm in push-pull) / Coolermaster HyperX (2x120mm in push-pull)
Memory 2x8gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200MHz / 4x4gb Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6gb / Gainward GTX 950 2gb
Storage Crucial P1 NVMe 1tb, 2x Barracuda 2TB, 1x IronWolf NAS 2TB / Samsung 840 Evo 500gb + Samsung F1 1tb
Display(s) BenQ GL2450 24'' / Samsung Syncmaster 20'' 2043nw
Case CM HAF 932 (CM 200mm [Red Led] front & side intake, Shark Evil Black 140mm exhaust) / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 on Creative Inspire S2 2.1 / Realtek 889 on Creative SBS Vivid 60 2.0
Power Supply EVGA Supernova B2 750w / Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110 / Sharkoon Light² 100
Keyboard Bloody B975 (LK brown optical switches) / Philips SPK84 (blue switches) with silicone o'rings mod
Software Win10 Pro x64 / Win7 Ultimate x64
Thank God he 's leaving. Maybe now AMD can become REALLY competitive again in the GPU market.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Now where was that other thread and who said he would be back? :p
I know you're just having a bit of sport, but I was one of those. His letter gave no indication at all he would not be back. It was a sabbattical. Apparently he found himself early on in his sabbattical.

People who said he wouldn't be back were just engaging in the endless fantasy story making that has become the way of life for many here. Or they don't understand the word sabbattical. I go by facts, and have no problem if facts change (which they did here).

Last edited:
If you're forced by budgetary restraints to focus on a compute heavy card, it'll always suffer in games against a more streamlined product (Pascal). Not having product bifurcation harms AMD. That being said, Vega was a huge dissapointment. Fury X was a competent underdog/match/victor to 980ti but Vega stillk tussles with a 1080 (OC factoring in). How do you fall so far behind?

Regardless, the Intel space is now far more interesting to watch. If Intel has any IP rights in their AMD deal, they might be able to drastically improve the mobile format with their bazillions of $$$.

They're just buying the chips.

MarketWatch said:
It’s worth noting that both Intel and AMD are insistent that this is not a licensing deal of any kind; that Intel is simply becoming a customer of AMD’s semi-custom division.

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 6TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
IMO AMD is preparing to sell the Radeon Group...they need the capital and the latest moves are indicating this(my opinion)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
If he goes to intel, Radeon Buyout incoming.

I still don't understand what he did so badly. I don't keep up with this, but why do even AMD fans dislike him? Seems like supply and mining craze is a big problem, but that can't be predicted (this guy wouldn't even need a job if his prediction powers were that awesome).

Rumour has it he practically steered the whole RTG creation and subsequent development into a means of getting Intel to buy it. And that he made enemies of practically everyone involved, but ms Su.
I never read much into that (still don't), but atm it seems to add up.

Judging by my tone it's the latter? No, my tone comes from paying fucking 800€ for a graphic card that has a piece of shit software used to power it. Gotta love the fanboyish denial. "Gotta be your system or you". No pal, it's NVIDIA and their garbage software. It was broken back when I had GTX 980 and it just got even more broken as I own GTX 1080Ti. The problems are very much reproducible and appear only under certain conditions. First it was constant Youtube video corruption with Fast V-Sync enabled, now it's horrible image tearing of Youtube with Adaptive or Fast V-Sync enabled, but it's only happening in Chrome and Opera (not in Edge or Firefox). And my eagle eyes spotted the tearing easily. I bet most people are so blind they don't even know the image is tearing in front of their eyes. It's not bothering them, but it sure as hell is bothering me. DSR for example will default to 60Hz at 4K to 1080p output even though I have a 144Hz screen which makes image painful to watch as it's flickering unlike with 144Hz where it doesn't, meaning I can't even use DSR because it physically hurts my eyes. Reported it, they didn't fix jack shit. Oh and DSR doesn't even work if you don't reboot the system. They of course don't mention this anywhere so you look like a retard trying to enable new resolution which isn't there because you didn't reboot. This bug was introduced recently because I know it worked straight away back on GTX 980. Reported both, they fixed none.

As for the "never seen any NV CP glitches". C'mon, go into the main graphics settings, scroll all the way down, change something and click apply. Not that it takes freaking 5 seconds to apply, the whole menu will also jump back to the top every single god damn time. If I had my own software and was behaving like this I'd fire the idiots working in QA department. It's utterly unforgivable that products that cost nearly 4 digit prices are supported by eternally broken and glitched software. Maybe it doesn't bother you, but again, it sure as hell does bother me. I'm a part of freelance QA team for avast! Antivirus and we bitch and complain to the development team to fix all such bugs till they fix them. Because it's just completely unprofessional to allow such even so tiny bugs in any kind of product that people spend money on. Hell, I'd be ashamed to have such bugs in software that was provided entirely free of charge. Why people defend and dismiss bugs as "non existent" or "unimportant" is beyond me.

AMD's original control panel was pretty bad. Then they introduced CCC. It was a bit glitchy back then, but I already loved it over NVIDIA's. The new Crimson Control Panel is just sublime to use. It's ultra responsive, well organized, applies settings instantly and provides awesome features for overclocking and monitoring. NVIDIA on the other hand has the exact same panel they had back in 2004. And it's just as broken and bad as it was back then. They don't even bother fixing or improving it because people like you apparently endlessly defend it for god knows what reasons and they just say to themselves "Well, if they aren't bothered by endless bugs, why bother fixing them at all". And the result is visible when you open idiotic NV CP.

This is why I was gravitating towards RX Vega because of vastly better experience with drivers and software, but ultimately decided for GTX 1080Ti because it was a "better value" at the moment. I guess I greatly misjudged it, because software part is pissing me off beyond belief. Sure, when it works it's very fast, but ever since I bought it I'm dealing with dumb ass bugs and glitches and I'm getting really tired of them. And they aren't even 3D related ffs. It's all being broken in browsers (which I happen to use a lot which makes it a very important thing).

If you are going in the programm setting tab, you can change the v-sync value for chrome and opera. And I though that the DSR issue had already been discussed in the nvidia driver thread, were it worked fine for most people and the one other guy that had an issue with it managed to make it work without a reboot. For me it's working fine without a reboot, so you can't call this a generality. The only thing that seems to be a common issue for most users is the v-sync, and the slugginess of the Nvcp.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I know you're just having a bit of sport, but I was one of those. His letter gave no indication at all he would not be back. It was a sabbattical. Apparently he found himself early on in his sabbattical.

People who said he wouldn't be back were just engaging in the endless fantasy story making that has become the way of life for many here. Or they don't understand the word sabbattical. I go by facts, and have no problem if facts change (which they did here).
saying he wouldnt be back was just as much of a guess as he would.

Ill say again... "Sabbatical". :)

Processor AMD R7 3800X EKWB
Motherboard Asus Tuf B450M-Pro µATX +MosfetWB (x2)
Cooling EKWB on CPU + GPU / Heatkiller 60/80 on Mosfets / Black Ice SR-1 240mm
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200C14 @ ----
Video Card(s) Vega64 EKWB
Storage Samsung 512GB NVMe 3.0 x4 / Crucial P1 1TB NVMe 3.0 x2
Display(s) Asus ProArt 23" 1080p / Acer 27" 144Hz FreeSync IPS
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Power Supply SeaSonic 850W
Keyboard Ducky One TKL / MX Brown
IMO AMD is preparing to sell the Radeon Group...they need the capital and the latest moves are indicating this(my opinion)

Yeah, right.

If they sell the Radeon Group, no more APU's, no more console Chips.
All it would leave them with is Ryzen.

AMD is fine, this is a small bump in the road, and people are imagining wierd things, without thinking.

AMD is selling CPU's and GPU's just fine.
They just aren't as big as Intel or Nvidia.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Because the games that this user is playing do not have issues on NV hardware.

Which exemplifies nothing more than sheer luck , let's put an end to this illusion about "perfect Nvidia drivers".

Nvidia has it's fair share of problems and issues and it's not necessarily their fault , these things have garnered so much complexity you have to be really ignorant to believe nothing ever goes wrong.