• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon HD 7990 Launch Date Revealed

If that was the case people be sueing left and right worldwide at every driver change.

Just look at these gems over at Nvidia forums...

Titan seems to have numerous issues with these new drivers. Im having stuttering issues too with my Titan

I'm getting stuttering with my 2 Titans too in BF3. It's a massive pain.

I just hope the do something to SWTOR SLI performance in next driver, currently it's just broken. Stuttering, micro stuttering and bad performance. Much better in single GPU mode.

I'm running SLI ASUS GTX Titans, I have a 3D Surround setup. I'm running the above driver and it was an update from 314.09. I'm having numerous issues

And thats just 1 page out of 38 in the latest drivers
Havent seen a class action suit filed yet.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
@dave: exactly what are they promising on the boxes that does not work?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If that was the case people be sueing left and right worldwide at every driver change.

Just look at these gems over at Nvidia forums...

And thats just 1 page out of 38 in the latest drivers
Havent seen a class action suit filed yet.

I'm not in the US, and I'd not go for class action. But lawyers that deal with such know consumer protection laws the best.

Taking AMD to court wouldn't be for the purpose of winning, either. I've wasted cash on these cards for Crossfire and Eyefinity, so AMD can waste some cash on lawyers dealing with my complaint.

Chances are though, my retailer will swap the cards out and it won't be any issue.

WHere AMD has failed is that they said a fix would be out in March, and then didn't deliver. Then they said July. At that point in time, AMD will have had these cards on the market for over 18 months.
@dave: exactly what are they promising on the boxes that does not work?

Depends on the brand. Crossfire for some, Eyefinity for others, voltage control for others yet. Many cards advertise volt control, new cards were put in older boxes that advertised it, and the new version doesn't support it. AMD doesn't make sure their partners use the same sort of technology branding on their boxes, and they should.

I'm not in the US, and I'd not go for class action. But lawyers that deal with such know consumer protection laws the best.

Taking AMD to court wouldn't be for the purpose of winning, either. I've wasted cash on these cards for Crossfire and Eyefinity, so AMD can waste some cash on lawyers dealing with my complaint.

Chances are though, my retailer will swap the cards out and it won't be any issue.

WHere AMD has failed is that they said a fix would be out in March, and then didn't deliver. Then they said July. At that point in time, AMD will have had these cards on the market for over 18 months.

You do realize that Nvidia did the same thing last year. They announced a driver to minimize Microstutter-throttling in June. A month later there forum went offline and 5-6moths later it came back online. There were a handful of months that a driver never was released to address that issue and when it was it just slightly minimized it. Microstuttering and throttling are still being reported throught there line-up today after several driver releases.

Havent heard anyone suing them for the similar situiation that spanned more then just Multi-GPU setups.

You have a better chance of solving your personal greivance in small claims court against the seller if any.
I dont know what the equivelant of that is in Canada.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You do realize that Nvidia did the same thing last year. They announced a driver to minimize Microstutter-throttling in June. A month later there forum went offline and 5-6moths later it came back online. There were a handful of months that a driver never was released to address that issue and when it was it just slightly minimized it. Microstuttering and throttling are still being reported throught there line-up today after several driver releases.

You have a better chance of solving your personal greivance in small claims court against the seller if any.
I dont know what the equivelant of that is in Canada.

Yes, I do know Nvidia has had similar issue, but since I don't use their products, I don't care what they do.

And yes, it would be the equivalent of small claims. Our legal system doesn't work as easily as yours does. :p I'd have no hope of getting anything other than my money back. That said, I'll probably get that from my retailer anyway. Updated drivers need to not come out, and my retailer would have to refuse refund before I could even get a day in court. I like how you guys with no idea about my legal system are pretty convinced I'll not have much luck.... I've already won against OEMs for similar things. Consumer protection laws up here are pretty good...you just need to know how to use them.

Yet, I have faith AMD will fix things shortly anyway. Except I run three cards in Crossfire, and triple card has WAY MORE issues than dual card. I don't expect Trifire or quadfire fixed(although I have the hardware to run that config), but I do expect dual-GPU will be fixed, with this 7990 coming from AMD.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+

you shouldn't fix someones reply with FALSE information. Nvidia doesn't have the sync issue like AMD does. Nvidia years ago put a chip in their cards that solves the problem. Try to read up on the problem before you talk.

The big difference, for me, is the public statement NVidia gave about the issue. AMD does no such thing, at least, not that I have found.

I really dont see a big difference.

Toms Hardware had to reach out to Nvidia and thats due to flood of user reports single and multi setups. As you can see even today on there latest drivers by visiting there forums some of the problems still persist almost a year later.

Anandtech did a write up interview with AMD. PCPer has gotten statements from AMD and always mention it on there reviews and podcast.

On a fun note you can take that post thread and switch Nvidias name with AMD. You can also tell the usual suspects aswell. I was upset since I was about to make my next GPU purchase at the time.

I would expect similar results and time-table from AMD

Getting back on Topic.

AMD Radeon HD 7990 Fan noise test

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
It will be interesting to see if they have got the power consumption in check too and how it compares to the year old GTX 690.

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
The big difference, for me, is the public statement NVidia gave about the issue. AMD does no such thing, at least, not that I have found.

First of all, it took months. I suffered from that from day one with my 680.

I ran into countless other performance issues that many others saw as well. Nvidia has had their issues too. Like the TDR issues from not that long ago. Hardware plays differently on different hardware. Who knows how your cards would play on a different system. These things happen, sadly.

If you want to see why AMD got away with microstutter all those years look no further than review sites like this that never comment on how a game actually plays. The big three, TPU, Anand, and Guru3d are probably the worst offenders.

If it weren't for techreport trying something new I'm still not sure that this would have come to light or that Nvidia would have done their best to really clear up microstutter with Kepler. It was there with Fermi too.

I don't know about eyefinity but with a single high res display tri-fire worked great for me especially with a framerate cap in the games where I did see microstutter. Sadly I didn't find a cap to be a viable workaround on a 120hz display.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I ran into countless other performance issues that many others saw as well. Nvidia has had their issues too. Like the TDR issues from not that long ago. Hardware plays differently on different hardware. Who knows how your cards would play on a different system. These things happen, sadly.

Unfortunately, as a motherboard reviewer, and having used my current cards nearly exclusively in my review systems, I'm pretty sure that I've eliminated any issues that were NOT hardware-related. I covered like 35 boards in the last year, and those 7950's went into each one.

Anyway, it is not THAT important, and I have drivers that are better than previous. I alsop modded the driver myself, and AMD's "fix" seems to be just like mine. It is funny because I told quite a few of the regulars on our TS about how it worked(I also posted screenshots on here), and then many days later sites that were given the driver by AMD reported the exact same thing.

SO perhaps I understand this issue a bit more than most.

my issue with AMD giving statements is that they kind of did, and said there would be a preliminary fix in March, and when that didn't happen, they didn't say a thing. Now we have more drivers, and more info. Really, I think that AMD can turn this issue around and make it a great victory.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+

Um not sure where you heard June, but PcPer was told AMD would have a driver fix for it in June. Ryan Shrout recently within last week or so got a prototype driver from AMD and results were much better. Sadly though it only works on 1 monitor atm.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Um not sure where you heard June, but PcPer was told AMD would have a driver fix for it in June. Ryan Shrout recently within last week or so got a prototype driver from AMD and results were much better. Sadly though it only works on 1 monitor atm.

AMD told PCPerspectives around July. They didn't give a date, they mentioned a number of weeks(12-16 weeks, actually, which takes us to July). And yes, I have this new driver as well. It does make some pretty good improvements, which is why I am not so "involved" in the issue right now. Amd did what I wanted, and made a public statement about where they were in dealing with the issue. It's just unfortunate that AMD told Anandtech back in December that this first driver would be out in March. So they are many weeks late at this point. I am taking the July idea seriously, but honestly, I do not expect AMD to be able to release a WHQL version by then.

I use three cards, and Eyefinity. I have a more complex build, and need to wait longer for a proper driver than most.

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Software Windows 7 X64
Like I said I don't use eyefinity. It seems like the biggest complainers often use eyefinty.

I remember you complaining about crossfire scaling. I used tri-fire 7950 for around six months and found scaling on a single display great.

If I were you I would have given Nvidia cards a shot a long time ago instead of complaining for months. I've flip flopped between the two brands a couple of times this gen.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If I were you I would have given Nvidia cards a shot a long time ago instead of complaining for months. I've flip flopped between the two brands a couple of times this gen.

I shouldn't have to swap anything. AMD advertises both CrossfireX and Eyefinity as working, so I do think it's pretty reasonable for me to expect it to work as advertised.

It doesn't.

What's is more stupid is that I keep buying games to play using Eyefinity, only to have issues, and I end up shelving the game waiting for a working driver. It's an evil little cycle where I buy a new game on launch, install all my VGAs and monitors, try it out, find it fails, remove the monitors, the GPUs, and the game. Pretty frustrating.

Then there's this "magical" driver that "fixes" things, but AMD won't release to the public. Great, so you tell us you can fix it, but we can't try it. Great job, AMD. :shadedshu Pretty reasonable for your users to have to write their own driver because you cannot.:banghead:

Maybe some board maker will be nice and mail me some NVidia cards.:roll:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Even if its at same price point. Its a much better buy then the other two.

It will just come down to personel preference.

Hahahaha! No, it isn't.

But yes, I guess it does come down to personal preference... you at least got one thing right.

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Software Windows 7 X64
Doesn't work for you maybe.

Again, if you are so confident that Nvidia cards work better buy a pair instead of complaining.

Then there's this "magical" driver that "fixes" things, but AMD won't release to the public. Great, so you tell us you can fix it, but we can't try it. Great job, AMD. :shadedshu Pretty reasonable for your users to have to write their own driver because you cannot.:banghead:

That has nothing to do with anything that you've been complaining about.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That has nothing to do with anything that you've been complaining about.

It sure does, since I have this driver already. It's not quite stable, but it's what has me patiently waiting instead of selling off my cards.

It's proof that these cards CAN work as advertised, a bit. :p But no one really knows it, since they've only given it to a few select sites.

These cards have been in my system for well over a year, without a properly working driver. I'd step down to two VGAs, no problem, if they could get THAT working, but they haven't...yet...that same driver is what the 7990 will use, and that was me kind of bringing it back on topic...

I've waited for Crossfire and Eyefinity to work well for a long long time, and anyone that buys a 7990 will be left in the same boat, for now. That driver needs to be finished, and work right. That's not supposed to happen until July...how much longer after that for normal Crossfire users? Or will they do both at the same time?

These are questions I have, and don't have any answers to. I'm almost at the point where I'm done with AMD...I am not sure why I am so patient.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Still not available here in Europe, just preorders.