• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Tested on Z490 Platform With Resizable BAR (AMD's SAM) Enabled

System Name HTPC
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard ASRock X570M Pro4
Cooling Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryros Delrin + Aquaduct 720XT
Memory Mushkin Ridgeback DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Waterforce WB RTX 2080Ti
Storage Crucial M1 500GB
Display(s) Philips 55POS9002/12 OLED TV
Case Silverstone Sugo SG11
Audio Device(s) FiiO D03k -> Pioneer A676 -> KEF iQ7
Power Supply Seasonic G550 PCGH Edition
Mouse MX Master
Keyboard Corsair K63 wireless Lapboard
Clearly not, as if you did, you would've know why it won't come to older AMD CPUs. AMD doesn't support the instruction needed.
Maybe read the full twitter thread linked to above if the explanation here wasn't good enough, or the Wikipedia link provided above.

From above twitter thread.
View attachment 178091
As I wrote before: Where is the connection between those instructions and large Addressing? That those are now way faster is no news to me since I read the Anandtech test, but there was no connection to resizeable BAR made there.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
As I wrote before: Where is the connection between those instructions and large Addressing? That those are now way faster is no news to me since I read the Anandtech test, but there was no connection to resizeable BAR made there.
You clearly didn't read the thread on twitter then. It explains that the instructions are needed to encode/decode the data that is being sent between the CPU and the GPU, as its sent compressed. In pre Zen 3 CPUs, this would be too slow, whereas Intel has supported these instructions for several years already.

System Name HTPC
Processor Ryzen 3600
Storage Crucial M1 500GB
Mouse MX Master
There is a link to
In that thread without further explanation and accompanied with the same questions as mine. From what I understand it might improve things above 4GB, but having fast access to 4GB chunks would still be a huge increase to the standard 256MB.

If these are accurate results this is very promising! I wonder if it has anything to do with the loading of assets in wider open games that RDR2 is getting that massive boost. I can attest that no matter what I do in some games I cannot get away from those micro stutters whenever I am exploring the world and as new items load I there is a slight, but noticeable stutter. If this fixes that I will kiss some feet! This is one of the biggest things that keeps driving me crazy in games that I have not yet been Able to fix
Sounds like possibly a storage or memory bottleneck.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Sounds like possibly a storage or memory bottleneck.

I ran the game from an Optane 900P. It still stutters a lot. It is the Game engine design and it is kinda specific here. It ain't a bug or flaw, it is like that by default, the engine is sensitive to this feature. Not that we have truly a lot such engines capable of having so much and doing things all the time at the same place. We cannot compare it with Cryengine, UT4 or Frostbyte whatever... apples and oranges.

Latency, bandwidth, and capacity restraints can really all cause major performance slowdowns and what you describe sounds kind of like a classic case of it, but given you say with Optane there very well could and probably is something else cause performance issues. It's interesting that doesn't seem to make a pronounced difference and yet SAM has a enormous difference on the minimum frame rate. There has to be a logical explanation to that matter I would imagine. To be pair on the optane matter isn't NVME actually better in certain regards in terms of performance worse latency yet higher bandwidth!!? On another note with Optane did you try NTFS compression? You can net a bit more bandwidth like that. In a lot of cases what you describe is generally one of the issues I mentioned. Some games are inherently poorly coded though like EQ2 with the shadows being CPU rendered it's a design pisser for certain.

In the case of RDR2 might even be clip plane view distance matter I ponder too much loading quickly in instance at once at high details and not enough culling and detail reduction of the distance resources of textures and animations relative to the system hardware. There is a lot open world games that have problems trying to load way to much stuff at once in the distance that cause hitching and slowdowns if you don't tame those settings a bit. It's a good looking game and that kind of thing can kill performance quickly especially if VRAM or other system resources is a bit borderline.

What happens when you reduce memory frequency with the same latency to the FPS I ponder. If memory frequency impacts heavily the game defiantly is memory bandwidth limited to a degree. Still that doesn't explain how SAM is yielding such enormous FSP minimum gains to me that implies a bottle neck from storage or the PCIE interface itself. It could very well be the PCIE BAR size is the actual bottleneck in this instance. Really w/o increasing the BAR size there are still ways around the problem, but not necessarily as easy or simple at the same time.

Last edited:
System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Boosts performance to an almost difference class of product wow!

I'm kinda sad now that SAM might not come to Ryzen 3000 and older. From a comment on videocardz:

Wikipedia source

Ah, shucks. My slim hope of this making it to Zen2 has been crushed. I guess this shiny new feature may end up kind of backfiring on AMD somewhat, since Intel can apparently enable this on much older CPUs if they want to. Not that AMD didn't know that beforehand, so kudos to them with going with it anyway.

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Ah, shucks. My slim hope of this making it to Zen2 has been crushed. I guess this shiny new feature may end up kind of backfiring on AMD somewhat, since Intel can apparently enable this on much older CPUs if they want to. Not that AMD didn't know that beforehand, so kudos to them with going with it anyway.
You and me both, son. You and me both.

System Name HTPC
Processor Ryzen 3600
Storage Crucial M1 500GB
Mouse MX Master
I mean be realistic it's Intel we are talking about here they'll probably enable it on the current lastest MB socket if you're lucky or use it as a excuse to rebrand them for a quite buck.