• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

4K performance in Microsoft Flight Simulator is extremely disappointing :( I was hoping RDNA2's higher frequency and 16gb or ram to make a difference, but game obviously prefers more shaders and faster memory. Well, 3080 for me after all I guess.
fs2020.jpg

Let's wait for the highly tuned ram reviews zen 3 + 6800 xt + rage mode + medium OC (which rtx 3080 cant oc really at all) + smart access memory... its going to be glorious :love:
So you want users to invest time and money in all of that just to reach the performance level of what Nvidia can give you for mere $50 more, while offering much faster raytracing, features like DLSS and better video encoding, stable drivers?

4K performance in Microsoft Flight Simulator is extremely disappointing :( I was hoping RDNA2's higher frequency and 16gb or ram to make a difference, but game obviously prefers more shaders and faster memory. Well, 3080 for me after all I guess.
View attachment 176144

Lighting and shading is on the top with modern games. Unless we will get voxel/vastly better physics in games with destructible environment down to smallest pieces. And then people will push to actualy shade and light all these elements and it will return to shading being on top[which is more resource intensive then simple xyz translation].

I think you should rerun the entire benchmark with a different windows installation/drivers and maybe hardware because something is fishy in your tests..

E.g ACO the 6800 is FASTER than the 6800xt @1080p while at very low FPS in general while in other benchmarks of the same game for example the 6800xt was faster even compared to 3090 at this particular game...

and these measurements are very low and affect the "relative performance" average you give and many people will refere to in the near future and i find this missleading.

@W1zzard

So exactly why is Nvidia in trouble? I don't get the title. Nvidia has the faster product both in rasterization and raytracing (much faster in raytracing in fact). There is no AI support on the AMD card that would be similar to DLSS, with no alternative to TensorCores. All that on a worse 8nm process (really just an improved 10nm). I'd actually look at that the other way - AMD, even with the best available process technology, much work spent on improving power efficiency, AMD was still unable to beat Nvidia. What happens when Nvidia moves to 5nm next gen? Where will AMD find any reserves for improvement? It's not like they can ditch GCN for the second time and get the same improvements (they've finally done it now, removing the last remains of that horrible architecture).

For longevity of the cards, the TensorCores and DLSS are actually a perfect solution. You can play games in native 4k easily on a RTX 3080. Games that come out 4 years from now, you might still be able to play confortably with DLSS on. I agree with you that memory is not as important simply because you run out of shading power before you do with memory. But with DLSS, you can actually extend that moral end-of-life of a card.

I also couldn't find any DLSS ON raytracing results, while there were in most previous Nvidia reviews. Why?

Otherwise thanks for a great review!
How many cards did AMD sell in the top end over the last four years? I'll help you out. The answer is zero. So Nvidia had 100% market share. Nvidia will be lucky to hold onto 50% share of the high end this time. That could be troubling from Nvidia's point of view.

As for the performance disparity between the 6800xt and 3080, this review favors the 3080 far more than the other five reviews I've read. Sure, if you are one of the five people in the world that play Anno 1800, Nvidia is the way to go, no doubt. At least two of the other games in this review I've never heard of. From the looks of it, the games are so obscure that AMD hasn't even bothered to create drivers for them. Yet they were included in this review only to skew results in Nvidia's favor as it seems the author knows his audience here. This message board seems to have more delusional Green kool aid drinkers than most.

I'm of the view 4k perf hit (in general) is a function of cache hit rate. ~75% @1080p, ~68% @1440p, ~58% @2160p.

May indicate that N22 will have 96MB IC & N23 64MB.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
AMD makes a card more energy efficient and as fast as a 3080. Nvidiots "Wahhh, its slower at RTRT, and and umm, its bad, cause Nvidia good" I notice how few are ready to discuss the average frametime and how AMD looks BETTER than Nvidia, that infinity cache smooths out all the peaks and still so much less power than the 7nm node is capable of handling.

Great review W1zz, sorry to see so many dog shit comments on your review complaining about an impressive piece of hardware. Can't wait to see how fast these can go with a bit of voltage modding or under water, if a 10% OC on air is there, with no voltage added, 1.2-1.3volts to the core and a 25% OC may be realistic.

I know whats going in my new machine, as soon as they are actually available, not gonna support the scalping of hardware.

As for the performance disparity between the 6800xt and 3080, this review favors the 3080 far more than the other five reviews I've read. Sure, if you are one of the five people in the world that play Anno 1800, Nvidia is the way to go, no doubt. At least two of the other games in this review I've never heard of. From the looks of it, the games are so obscure that AMD hasn't even bothered to create drivers for them. Yet they were included in this review only to skew results in Nvidia's favor as it seems the author knows his audience here. This message board seems to have more delusional Green kool aid drinkers than most.

A review should have the biggest variety of games possible. DX11, DX12, AAA games, some AA games. You don't play only a very narrow selection of games on your GPU, unless of course you do that. But then again, why bother looking at average performance at all? Just look at the benchmark of the games you play/plan to play and buy GPU according to which one has more frames in these.

How many cards did AMD sell in the top end over the last four years? I'll help you out. The answer is zero. So Nvidia had 100% market share. Nvidia will be lucky to hold onto 50% share of the high end this time. That could be troubling from Nvidia's point of view.

Yeah, with AMD it always seems to be an error on someone else's side, not AMD. AMD is perfect. I hear you.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So you want users to invest time and money in all of that just to reach the performance level of what Nvidia can give you for mere $50 more, while offering much faster raytracing, features like DLSS and better video encoding, stable drivers?

what nvidia? ah you mean that paper launch... no idea. i got a 6800 so going to go enjoy gaming now. cheers

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
On a different note, The RX6000 series means the end for a lot of AMD supporters' "wait for XXXXX" meme. As far as DX12 Ultimate is concerned, these RX6000 might actually age pretty well like FineWine (As long as you keep that ray tracing off)

If ATI can keep this type of performance boosting up, RDNA3 might be them jumping back in front of Nvidia again. Well, assuming Nvidia functions like Intel though which is highly unlikely.

Does your Nvidia based computer operate without a CPU or RAM? How is buying a CPU and RAM a waste of money? Many people do a complete system upgrade when getting a new GPU. Probably even more so now that there has been a shift in what constitutes the best gaming CPU.

I know whats going in my new machine, as soon as they are actually available, not gonna support the scalping of hardware.
Next week for AIB, much greater supply. Should be reasonably obtanium by Dec, but given demand for >$500 gpus...

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Great review there @W1zzard :D :D

Now the question for me will be, when the heck can I actually buy one!?! Such an achievement AMD, kudos and congrats on a fine product!! Even the cooler is decent without the noise or the temps being at melting point.. Bloody marvelous!! :D

@W1zzard will there be a review with the cards being tested on AMD platforms with the 5 series CPUs? If I recall, that's meant to help with performance, so I guess this is kinda of, worst case?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
AMD is scalping too, there are already shortages xD At least what i see in Poland.

AMD doesn't control retailers once they fill the retailers order. And unless AMD and Nvidia want to ruin relationships with retailers and AIB partners they are going to see their hardware to each at a set point and the retailers will mark up hardware as they see fit.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
@W1zzard will there be a review with the cards being tested on AMD platforms with the 5 series CPUs? If I recall, that's meant to help with performance, so I guess this is kinda of, worst case?
Yup working on that article right now

Does your Nvidia based computer operate without a CPU or RAM? How is buying a CPU and RAM a waste of money? Many people do a complete system upgrade when getting a new GPU. Probably even more so now that there has been a shift in what constitutes the best gaming CPU.
What shift? Why without CPU or RAM? My 2 years old 9900K is paired with 64GB of RAM, standard speed for the platform. And I still get the same 4K framerate as I would with a brand new top of the line ryzen with expensive high speed memory and a lot of time investing into fine tuning it. That's according to W1zzard's own review here on TPU.

Core i9-9900K 100.7%, Ryzen 9 5950X 100%.

So what exactly are you talking about?

System Name The Poor Man Build
Processor Core i9 10850K @5,1Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z490i STRIX
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition
Memory Gskill TridentZ 16GB Kit @3600 CL16
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Display(s) ASUS VG27AQ
Case CM NR200
Power Supply CM V750 SFX
Damn, im actually tempted to let go of my VII (was planning to use it at least 2 years XD) if i ever get the chance to buy the 6800XT.

Hoping stocks wont be as bad as the 3080 but that hope has really thin chance of happening i guess.

AMD doesn't control retailers once they fill the retailers order. And unless AMD and Nvidia want to ruin relationships with retailers and AIB partners they are going to see their hardware to each at a set point and the retailers will mark up hardware as they see fit.

This will still end with people buying whole stock and reselling, if AMD won't provide enough supply for demand.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
This will still end with people buying whole stock and reselling, if AMD won't provide enough supply for demand.

True, but they are at the mercy of TSMC and their output, between CPU, GPU, APU for consoles they are utilizing every die.

How long before we see 6700 and 6600 models, built for 1440 and 1080 gaming, that is where the money is made, I think AMD is doing this a FU to Nvidia, Im surprised there hasn't been more news about them, but I also am going to guess they are trying to help retailers clean out inventory of older architechture before releasing anything below the $350 price point.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Damn, im actually tempted to let go of my VII (was planning to use it at least 2 years XD) if i ever get the chance to buy the 6800XT.

Hoping stocks wont be as bad as the 3080 but that hope has really thin chance of happening i guess.

R7 fetch some good money among miners. Use that to offset some of the 6800XT scalping price.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Reload. How's that?
Almost perfect, only highlighted card is a tad confusing, but that's OK.

System Name Mikes PC!
Processor AMD 5800X3D @4.55Ghz
Motherboard ASUS B550 F Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling 360
Memory HYPERX 32gb 4000Mhz C17
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage WD SN850 BLACK 1TB + Kingston KC2000 1 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C1 48" 4K120Hz
Case Lian Li O11 EVO
Audio Device(s) FiiO k5 Pro + HyperX
Power Supply CoolerMaster 1KW
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11 64bit
Confirming their inability to catch up with nVidia was a huge relief for me.

They clearly demonstrated with their CPU launch that they give crap about the end user in terms of value for money and all they wanted was a chance to pass ahead so they can overcharge their products.

Thank you AMD but we didn't need a new "Intel" in place of Intel and we didn't need a new "nVidia" to replace nVidia.

This company has clearly lost their path...