• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

A simple way to disprove completely what you claim is to look at the SoCs used in consoles, the last level cache that you desperately try to prove AMD added to make RT viable is no where to be found on those, which means that clearly wasn't it's purpose. Your speculation is plain and simple wrong.

You must be out of your mind to believe for a second that AMD just dedicated 1/5 of the die to improve RT performance which ended up being inferior to Nvidia's anyway. There are other flaws with their implementation that need to be addressed long before bandwidth became an issue.

Also because of the way BVH works some pointer chasing is required meaning caches don't help much.

No, that cache is an inevitable evolution of GPUs given that the ratio of DRAM bandwidth per thread has plummeted over the years and it's obvious that there will be a point in time after which no more performance can be extracted. It's there to aid all around performance and I bet Nvidia will be forced to implement something similar as well. Anyway, the point is that it has nothing to do with RT.
Oh really? Microsoft clearly stated that Xbox Series X has all the RDNA2 features, unlike PS5. The fact that they did not mention details like Infinity Cache and others does not mean they are not there. Some of the features AMD obviously intended to keep for their RX6000 presentation. And even if there was no Infinity Cache, how do you know it was not harmful to raytracing performance, since we do not have raytracing performance results for consoles? Given that there's pretty much no raytracing titles revealed for consoles, I'd assume it is going to perform terribly ;)

The same argument was appearing ever since first AMD-powered consoles appeared, for what - close to a decade now? And it never happened.
Do you think the fact that the prior gen consoles were using a three year old (now ten year old) AMD architecture designed for mobile apps might have held back the synergies?

Now PC is running Zen plus RDNA2 just like the consoles do. We should see how things work out over the next couple of years.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Then why do it for Assasin's Creed Valhalla? Do you think more people are playing that then Minecraft? ;)

I think there are more people playing it than care to play a raytraced version of minecraft..... Thus my comment that 90%+ of users don't care about that specific scenario, instead they want to know how it handles 1080 or 4K popular games and of those a decent number of people with this hardware will care about how infinity cache handles texture upgrade packs for games like Skyrim, GTA, RDR2, and Valhalla.

It is good ot know that if I wanted to have raytracing in my minecraft that a green card would be the way to go, but I don't think most will care, or if they are that tech savvy perhaps they will figure out a way to decrease the number of rays calculated in a brick world.

it's 4 Box or 1 Triangle Intersection per cycle

How does that contradict my statement? it simply means the "ray ops" are either 4 box intersections or 1 triangle intersection. It does not change the fact that RDNA2 cannot to both texture and raytracing ops on the same CU in the same cycle.

System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
@Jinxed
And you post a heavy NVIDIA sponsored title ..... :wtf:

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Oh really? Microsoft clearly stated that Xbox Series X has all the RDNA2 features, unlike PS5. The fact that they did not mention details like Infinity Cache and others does not mean they are not there. Some of the features AMD obviously intended to keep for their RX6000 presentation. And even if there was no Infinity Cache, how do you know it was not harmful to raytracing performance, since we do not have raytracing performance results for consoles? Given that there's pretty much no raytracing titles revealed for consoles, I'd assume it is going to perform terribly ;)

That cache is not an RDNA2 "feature" it's just a cache.

You should get into the habit of reading upon the available information before you come up with these bewildering speculations.

Here, die shot of the SoC inside the new Xbox, from those very same slides :

1605723392696.png

Where's that last level cache that Navi 21 has ? Just point to it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Techspot is part of HardwareUnboxed (or the other way around). Of course AMD fanboys would try to post results from the biggest AMD fanboy site on the internet if all the other results do not match their expectations. I for one come to techpowerup to get some decent reviews, not to sites like techspot, where the reviewer gets blood in their eyes just from mentioning Nvidia.
You actually seem to mostly come here to argue with people from what I see.

Also, it's more than, not more then.

Do you think the fact that the prior gen consoles were using a three year old (now ten year old) AMD architecture designed for mobile apps might have held back the synergies?

Now PC is running Zen plus RDNA2 just like the consoles do. We should see how things work out over the next couple of years.
And before that it was GCN and Jaguar cores. Same story a few years forward. Nothing really changed.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
Some are abit too emotional, like they have something at stake.
I'm not even sure what are you arguing about anymore, fact of the matter is both gpu vendors will sell anything they made for months beause demand outstrips supply.

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
Thanks for the review TPU.:rolleyes:
Interesting card that I would like to buy. :)

Unfortunately,the supplies were almost non existing.:kookoo:
In Germany they were gone in 10minutes.
I placed order 2 minutes after launch at 15:02 o'clock and then called Mindfactory to check if I will get one.
They told me unfortunately not.
While I was paying with PayPal cards were gone. :confused:

The guy on phone told me that they had very low quantities and he said he does not expect to get more very soon. So he said most probably deliver will be at least one month later.
He said it is similar situation to RTX 3080.
So I asked him to cancel my order and I will wait until some time in future when enough cards will be available. :laugh:

Checked on number of online store. It was gone in few minutes everywhere. :rockout:

That cache is not an RDNA2 "feature" it's just a cache.

You should get into the habit of reading upon the available information before you come up with these bewildering speculations.

Here, die shot of the SoC inside the new Xbox, from those very same slides :

View attachment 176158

Where's that last level cache that Navi 21 has ? Just point to it.
It's a SOC chip schema. It does not detail the features of the GPU in the picture. Rather the parts of the whole SOC. You can see the CPU cores, you can see the memory controllers, IO, interconnects. You are trying to interchange the fact that the picture does not show the GPU intrnal parts for your assumption that there are no actual GPU internal parts. Nice try, honestly, but no.

Mastakony

If you only play the 10 games with RTX (10 good games if possible) OR ONLY PLAY 4K, you can grab a 3080 (if you also have DLSS LOL)
But seriously, it's a complete WIN for 95% of games and majority of resolutions (1080 1440)!!!!
Better perf
Less noise
Less power
Cheaper
AND A REAL OC available!!!!

CONGRATS AMD

PS : If you already have a ryzen 3000............., you know the deal:D:D:D:D

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
And before that it was GCN and Jaguar cores. Same story a few years forward. Nothing really changed.
Except what you are saying is rubbish ,the fact the old consoles had 8 weak cores kept my fx8350 in the game instead of below minimum specs.
And Polaris Still plays ANY game as does Tahiti at playable 1080p levels.
I had Polaris for age's.
And you can do work on the shader array while that ray accelerator does work, that can include work for ray's, since the CPU could have access to GPU memory it's possible it could also put work in to assist, God knows how/if that could work out.

Last edited:
Low quality post by Fouquin
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
@W1zzard Awesome review :) Thanks .

I find this so damn unbelievable. People look at the same graphs, same results and have totally different opinions about the RX6000 series. How is that possible that you have awesome vs total crap. That's even more amazing the the rx6000 series cards themselves and these are really good. If you'd think, what AMD has done over one year from 5000 series GPUs release. One year and you have this.
I can't wait for the next year when RDNA3 will be released or teased or whatever. If AMD keeps up with that attitude we are in for a treat.
RT lacks a bit that's for sure. I think we need to give it more time to get there. NV has had 2 years to get it done. Lets see how much AMD will need to get where NV is now.

BTW. I've watched reviews on YT from different reviewers and the scores for the 6000 series vary quite a bit across all resolutions even with the same games tested. That's a bit weird.

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
Just for fun I was checking on eBay, there were a few people who were selling A4 size photos of 6800xt cards. :p:D:laugh:
There were enough idiots who actually fell for those and were betting on these without reading title fully which say only Photo. :roll:

There were some bets standing between 500€ and 600€.
These guys will have lot of fun when they receive photo of 6800XT in their post. Just incredible what people do without reading. :slap::kookoo::roll:

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's a SOC chip schema.

Stop denying reality, it's an actual die representation, not a schema.

last level caches are very obvious and stand out as they usually sit somewhere around or inside a cluster and are symmetrical and very large.

Like it's highlighted in this render :

1605724784278.png

If it was there you'd see from a mile, accept factual data and stop trolling. And Microsoft would have talked about it in their presentation, this idea that they were somehow hiding it is complete fiction and a ridiculous idea. They described it down to the smallest details about the RT implementation which was arguably much more important but they'd leave this out ? Yeah, right.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X I Core i7 6700K
Motherboard B550 Phantom Gaming 4 I Asus Z170-A ATX
Video Card(s) RX 6900 XT PowerColor Red Devil I RTX 3080 Palit GamingPro
Storage Intel 665P 2TB I Intel 660p 2TB
Case NZXT S340 Elite I Some noname case lmao
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wired
Keyboard Wooting Two Lekker Edition
10 GB does affect DOOM Eternal performance a bit, but in 8K. In 4K 8 GB is more than sufficient for upcoming years.

I literally have 8 GB cards and this game. Your source is wrong or incompetent. 8GB does indeed have issues in the game at 4K.

More VRAM is always more expensive. Specially for NVIDIA which uses exclusive to it GDDR6X.

FTFY.

And these two games are outliers and I presume could have been fixed if they had been released recently. Lastly good luck finding any visual differences between Uber and Ultra textures on your 4K monitor.

DOOM Eternal was released this year and is the most optimized game ever made, or so it seems. Wolfenstein 2 was praised for its optimization too.

Nothing to fix. They just need more VRAM.

You actually seem to mostly come here to argue with people from what I see.

Also, it's more than, not more then.
Well if you call debunking arguments like "most games are made for consoles" with actual numbers as arguing, then there's really no way to react to that. And for the record I do beleive Big Navi is a decent achievement. But unlike some other people here, I do not lose sight of the fact that a big part of that comes simply from the process advantage AMD has and there are a lot of misses - lack of reasonable raytracing performance, lack of anything similar to DLSS, lack of any hardware that would support DLSS, meaning that current RX6000 series cards will not get anything producing similar quality as DLSS (maybe RDNA3 will) and so on ..

DOOM Eternal was released this year and is the most optimized game ever made, or so it seems. Wolfenstein 2 was praised for its optimization too.

Nothing to fix. They just need more VRAM.

Please educate yourself about game development a tiny bit. It's perfectly possible to make both games require a lot less VRAM - it's just their developers went overboard when they had access to the 2080 Ti.

Anyone who is playing at 8k dont give a damn about some minutae price difference between gpus. He/she just buy the best of the best ie. RTX 3090 SLI right now.

System Name Mikes PC!
Processor AMD 5800X3D @4.55Ghz
Motherboard ASUS B550 F Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling 360
Memory HYPERX 32gb 4000Mhz C17
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage WD SN850 BLACK 1TB + Kingston KC2000 1 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C1 48" 4K120Hz
Case Lian Li O11 EVO
Audio Device(s) FiiO k5 Pro + HyperX
Power Supply CoolerMaster 1KW
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11 64bit
Their inability to catch up? I wish I could see the world through your special eyes. At stock its about 2-3% slower than a card $50 more, and it uses 100W less, has 10% overclocking ability out of the box compares to 3% from team green, and with other tweaks it ends up as fast or slightly faster, plus much better frame times. But I guess you can't see that, cognitive dissonance is real .

No one is forcing anyone to buy it, and everything is worth what someone is willing to pay. Do you think AMD gets all the money from the sale of these cards? If you do perhaps try reading up on supply and demand economics.

Well with all due respect, it is you who seem to have the "special" eyes because the numbers you mention are "modified" towards AMDs favor.

It's mostly 5% difference and the power consumption difference is closer to 50 watts.

Also the "other tweaks" part is a lot better for the Green team nowadays... bios flashing on 3000 series is easy as pie and brings great performance jumps with it especially combined with watercooling.

Not to mention the software side of things with dlss, raytracing etc

If you think 5% is insignificant, go tell that to high end nvme drives lol

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X I Core i7 6700K
Motherboard B550 Phantom Gaming 4 I Asus Z170-A ATX
Video Card(s) RX 6900 XT PowerColor Red Devil I RTX 3080 Palit GamingPro
Storage Intel 665P 2TB I Intel 660p 2TB
Case NZXT S340 Elite I Some noname case lmao
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wired
Keyboard Wooting Two Lekker Edition
Yeah no doubt, you can always make games run bad by changing settings or replacing textures. These cases are very very edge case, maybe 1000 gamers out of 100 million? (making up random numbers).

More = good, but more = $, so more != good ;)

The problem with being part of the actual PCMR Elite is that ... well most other people are quite a bit under that level. It is what it is. But we exist and are loud. You have tests with games no one plays, which is fair. It isnt your place to argue against the games at all, the logic is sound. This is a similar situation except I am 100% certain there are more modders than Shadow of the Tomb Raider gamers. A minority, but still bigger than that minority.

I strongly hold - your comment there is wrong. And we even see the 1060 3GB lose at 1080p hard at times due to its VRAM buffer.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Have you used DLSS? I have owned a 2080 Ti since launch and having experienced it first hand, can say that I am very thankful for the option. If you care to see for yourself, here is one of many videos on the subject:

I don't think anyone says anything bad about the actual implementation of DLSS, which is why it makes alot of sense for AMD/MS to develop their own DLSSish option. Just that it takes some work by devs to implement, so its not a feature you can count on yet especially if you competitive multiplayer type games.