• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon RX Vega Put Through 3DMark

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
980Ti vs Fury debate is awful, more so when you try and make the fury sound better than it is. The reference 980Ti is barely edged out by the fury, which sees no improvement in performance with AIB cards in normal situations.

The AIB model 980Ti's still consistently compete and often best 1070's

It's funny isn't it, I enjoy revisiting the comments section of the GTX 1080 review (among others), their main argument then was that was barely faster than AIB 980 Ti's.

Short memories I guess.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
It's funny isn't it, I enjoy revisiting the comments section of the GTX 1080 review (among others), their main argument then was that was barely faster than AIB 980 Ti's.

Short memories I guess.

Very short. I mean what do people expect when you further neuter Kepler...its also why I have stood behind 1070/1080 being midrange.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
Well, that's how I understand it to be anyways. An Intel chip can run up to 95C and AMD's FX chips have something like 72C max. If both have a TDP of 125w you will have a hell of a time cooling your FX chip with a "125w" cooler because when they give a cooler a "wattage TDP" they are usually talking about "when used with Intel chips (because they can handle more heat)".... It's just marketing....

Or am I just unaware of some scientific way they use describe a cooler's cooling capacity?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Well, that's how I understand it to be anyways. An Intel chip can run up to 95C and AMD's FX chips have something like 72C max. If both have a TDP of 125w you will have a hell of a time cooling your FX chip with a "125w" cooler because when they give a cooler a "wattage TDP" they are usually talking about "when used with Intel chips (because they can handle more heat)".... It's just marketing....

Or am I just unaware of some scientific way they use describe a cooler's cooling capacity?
Noe i see what you were trying to get at! :)

Capacity of a rad/heatsink is its capacity, period.

Let me ask you this... which is hotter? A yellow flame from a lighter, or yellow flames from a bonfire? (A: both the same temperature)

Now let me ask..which has more energy that lighter or the bonfire? (A: The bonfire)

See where im going with this? :)

The temps are a product of that heatsink as well as many other variables...things like the core material, whats on the die making the heat, size of it, thermal paste under the ihs, the ihs, thermal paste above the ihs...now we get to the heatsink...then fans.

You cant really compare temps between amd and intel. ;)

Last edited:
System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Software Win 10 Pro
@EarthDog So, basically, if you put a 125 watt cooler on two different chips, then set up both systems to feed 125w exactly to each chip(FX vs Intel), the temps at load will be TMAX on both chips? How do they measure the capacity of any given cooler?

A heatplate with a specific load is how they are tested id assume. Not sure honestly.

As far as cpu temperature, that would vary by cpu and its tdp. In theory a processor with a lower tdp than the heatsink it shouldnt reach tjmax. And vice versa with higher. But again soooo many other variables...

Think of it the other way around...rad/heatsinks given capacity doesnt change (assuming no other variables change), yet, temperatures between the exact same model cpu vary, none the less completely different brands in amd and intel with two different processes/parameters for their substrate and getting the heat out to the ihs.

System Name Little Boy / New Guy
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / Intel Core I5 10400F
Motherboard Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate / Asus H410M Prime
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 A-RGB / ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
Memory TeamGroup Zeus 2x16GB 3200Mhz CL16 / Teamgroup 1x16GB 3000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) Asrock Phantom RX 6800 XT 16GB / Asus RTX 3060 Ti 8GB DUAL Mini V2
Storage Patriot Viper VPN100 Nvme 1TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Sata / Ultrastar 2TB / IronWolf 4TB / WD Red 8TB
Display(s) Compumax MF32C 144Hz QHD / ViewSonic OMNI 27 144Hz QHD
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A / Montech X3 Mesh
Power Supply Aresgame 850W 80+ Gold / Aerocool 850W Plus bronze
Mouse Gigabyte Force M7 Thor
Keyboard Gigabyte Aivia K8100
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
This is going to release over a year later than the 1080, at the same performance, but a lot worse perf/watt??
Damn AMD......... i expected over 1080Ti perf... :(

Price should be U$400 max.

System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Like Ryzen, AMD will have to come in at an attractive price point to sell Vega.

Ryzen has not proven to be any faster than the equivalent clocked and cored Intel cpu's, however it is hugely cheaper. I finally upgraded my own personal pc to Ryzen R5 1600X.

I don't expect Vega to set any speed records, but it needs to be at least as fast as the 1080 with a price somewhere between the 1070 and 1080 for success.

Firestrike scores show a similarity to the 1080, so now we need to hope for a price at or around the $450-$499 mark.

I am planning on buying Vega myself, I need better performance than the RX 580 to drive my 2560x1440 IPS 144hz Freesync monitor. I will not be happy if performance is at 1080 levels with a higher cost of entry along with higher power requirements.

Just saying...

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
that gotta hurt for ppl that waited this long

Not at all.
While decidedly an increasing minority, i don't have the mindset of a juvenile, nor their customs or habbits. "Above 'X' FPS" performance is more than good enough for me, leaving it to brand preference, price vs performance and/or voicing my arguments as a customer in the only i have available to me; by paying. And i can assure you i will be paying for one of these.

People are free to stick to their pixelated pew pew, RGB lightz and 'does it come from Asus' mentalities, they are entitled to them.
They should however refrain from generalising. Not all of us are and think like "gamerz", thank God :)

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
And here I was hoping that the RX vega would be really good, guess it is down to pricing now.

At a given ΔT for the system, so the same cooler rated a 125 W for a chip with a ΔT of 80 degrees opposed to one with a ΔT at 60 degrees will be lower, it will actually be at 93,75 Watt. how you ask?
Look at the equation here. considering this is not LaTex we are using here i will simplify the Q-dot and m-dot signes with Q and m.

The equation then becomes this: Q =m*Cp*ΔT
where:
Q = cooling capacity [kW]
m = mass rate [kg/s]
Cp = specific heat capacity [kJ/kg K]
Δ T = the temperature change [K] from the cooled thing to the ambient air.

m and Cp are given by the cooler, in a normal tower cooler m can be increased with a fan blowing more air over the cooler, but for our experiment we keep the same fan on the same speed, this means that m*Cp is a constant.
ΔT for the first cooler will be 80 degrees (100 °C - 20 °C = 80 °C and °K) and Q for this ΔT is 0,125 kW, giving us:

0,125 = m*Cp*80

hence m*Cp = 0,125/80 = 0,0015625

now, using the lower ΔT (80 °C - 20 °C = 60 °C and °K) we get the flowing equation:

60 * 0,0015625 = 0,09375 and 0,09375 kW is 93,75 kW.

This means that a cooler rated at 125W for a ΔT of 80 °K will cool 93,75 W when the ΔT is 60 °K.

So no,
unless you have a fixed ΔT it is not.

From Wikipedia: Cooling capacity

Yes, when you change variables its rating would change. Thats inferred, no? Oops, said... #131.

In other words, a heatsink rated at xxxW with a xxC delta will yield different temps on different cpus...but its the cpu (and all other variables) which is causing the difference in temperature between different cpus with the same heatload.

Heatsinks arent tested initially with chips, outside of computer modeling, its hot plates with specific heat loads. Its essentially saying, this chunk of metal can dissipate xxxW at a deltaT of xxC. When you put something under it at ths same heatload with different substrate materials, die sizes, paste, ihs, etc...its going to have a different temperature due to the OTHER variables. I think what you are trying to say is the amount of wattage a heatsink can handle will vary based on the max temp you want out of it... which is of course true...but not what im saying. ;)

Am i missing something still?

Last edited:
System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Software Win 10 Pro
@EarthDog I dunno... you started it lol....
@Brusfantomet Yeah! What you said, with the math numbers and stuff!

And here I was hoping that the RX vega would be really good, guess it is down to pricing now.

At a given ΔT for the system, so the same cooler rated a 125 W for a chip with a ΔT of 80 degrees opposed to one with a ΔT at 60 degrees will be lower, it will actually be at 93,75 Watt. how you ask?
Look at the equation here. considering this is not LaTex we are using here i will simplify the Q-dot and m-dot signes with Q and m.

where:
m = mass rate [kg/s]

m and Cp are given by the cooler, in a normal tower cooler m can be increased with a fan blowing more air over the cooler, but for our experiment we keep the same fan on the same speed, this means that m*Cp is a constant.
ΔT for the first cooler will be 80 degrees (100 °C - 20 °C = 80 °C and °K) and Q for this ΔT is 0,125 kW, giving us:

0,125 = m*Cp*80

hence m*Cp = 0,125/80 = 0,0015625

now, using the lower ΔT (80 °C - 20 °C = 60 °C and °K) we get the flowing equation:

60 * 0,0015625 = 0,09375 and 0,09375 kW is 93,75 kW.

This means that a cooler rated at 125W for a ΔT of 80 °K will cool 93,75 W when the ΔT is 60 °K.

So no, unless you have a fixed ΔT it is not.

From Wikipedia: Cooling capacity

What about constant temps versus peak? Cpu don't run at the same temperature forever is what I'm getting at. Ability to cool xxx watts of heat for eternity or for an hour? My wording isn't great but maybe you understand what I mean. Being able to sustain the cooling capacity of its maximum ability basically.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Price this to 1060 levels and they will sale like hotcakes.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
where:
m = mass rate [kg/s]

Woah, buddy.

Your calculations are incorrect to this scenario, as they are for a closed-loop refrigerant-based cooling system. I did go to school for this stuff, so I saw this, I nearly spit my tea all over my desk seeing refrigerant calculations in this thread. You need a far more complicated equation; mass in your equation refers to the refrigerant flow, not airflow. You cannot increase "m" with a higher fan; that's not the purpose of this equation. "m" is the flow rate of the refrigerant, in this case, water, not the air across the rad (which is why it is rated in Kg/s, and not CFM). The Cp is actually the specific heat of the refrigerant, or the water in the loop, not the cooler. We use various refrigerants, which is why it works this way. Delta-T is the change across the evaporator (ie, from the inlet to the outlet), not the cooler's difference from ambient. Delta-T refers to how the refrigerant changes, and is not TD, which is what you at referring to. Delta-T always refers to temperature changes within the same media, not differences between two media. Many people get this bit wrong,

It's not often the stuff I learned in school I get to put to practice... but thanks. ;)

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Woah, buddy.

Your calculations are incorrect to this scenario, as they are for a closed-loop refrigerant-based cooling system. I did go to school for this stuff, so I saw this, I nearly spit my tea all over my desk seeing refrigerant calculations in this thread. You need a far more complicated equation; mass in your equation refers to the refrigerant flow, not airflow. You cannot increase "m" with a higher fan; that's not the purpose of this equation. "m" is the flow rate of the refrigerant, in this case, water, not the air across the rad (which is why it is rated in Kg/s, and not CFM). The Cp is actually the specific heat of the refrigerant, or the water in the loop, not the cooler. We use various refrigerants, which is why it works this way. Delta-T is the change across the evaporator (ie, from the inlet to the outlet), not the cooler's difference from ambient. Delta-T refers to how the refrigerant changes, and is not TD, which is what you at referring to. Delta-T always refers to temperature changes within the same media, not differences between two media. Many people get this bit wrong,

It's not often the stuff I learned in school I get to put to practice... but thanks. ;)

Thanks teach! The glaring thing to the layperson would be the use of Delta T. I hadn't read the initial post (saw equations and bugged out) but i read your critique of it and it was that misuse of Delta T that struck a chord. Think I've known since I bought my first cooler that it meant the change/difference in temp of the chip (or point of measurement on chip) from idle to full load.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I see not much has changed in regards of posting. Always trying to prove who's right and who said it first and who predicted anything. kinda boring i'd say. I was hoping for a knowledge ride from all the people here who conside themselves as experts in all it's meaning. (some know more about a graphics chip than the company producing it does). Amusing predictions
it will be out soon than we can talk about it. 1080 was the Vega's perf point it always has been. Some even say they predicted that :) funny. How can you predict something which was stated by the company producing the chip and announced.
in my opinion the confusion is at the highest state now.
Vega was hitting on 1080 and it did. ( well from what we know so far). Maybe the power consumption isn't satisfying but well AMD was never great at that.
THE DELAY.
Well it is delayed and there was so many assumptions.
First HBM is so expensive and that might cause a delay in delivering the memory or simply the demand was big and lack of resources caused that.
Second driver issues. Well might be true since AMD is hiring people for the driver development but keep in mind that console market is in AMD's hands now. It's almost twice as much customers than PC market.
And third. They are tweaking Vega to boost performance to match or come close to 1080 TI. I'm sure AMD is at least trying to accomplish that. if they succeed I don't know but I think Vega has the potential and they can squeeze more outta it.

As for me all above can be true but also none can be right. There's so many things you people may not be aware of what's going on in AMD and that's the one fact here that's correct. Soon it will be out and it will all come clear :)

Last edited:

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What denial? LMAO!

Can you read? Most of my posts here center around Vega being a big disappointment so far (And likely overall). But everything I said still stands:

• Vega Frontier's drivers ARE terrible. Learn how to read some reviews, there are bugs everywhere. This is a fact that the drivers are bad, what is opinion is if better drivers will improve performance.
  • Although none of us are fortune tellers, it would be idiotic to think performance won't increase by a decent margin considering how bad they are now. In fact GCN 1.0 had gained so much performance from it's 12.11 drivers that TechPowerUp said "The 7870 felt like an entirely different card", and GCN had nowhere near the issues Vega clearly has buddy:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/

• If GCN 1.0 could gain 10-20% in the first year, it is not insane to think Vega could gain the same or even more performance considering how big a departure this architecture is. Again, I am not saying Vega will become substantially stronger, but it is not at all crazy to think it could.
  • The 980 Ti vs Fury debate is a dead horse. Stop beating it. The only thing I will say is that the Fury X is currently trading blows with the 1070 while the 980 Ti is treading water above he 390X. If you call that a victory, congratulations.

Custom 980 Ti beats Fury X with ease, out of the box. Custom 980 Ti is ~20% faster than reference, which Fury X is being compared to in 99% of tests. Fury X can't OC. You might gain 5% if lucky, with huge increase in power.

Fully clocked custom 980 Ti is pretty much on par with 1080 FE. 30-40% faster than reference here. Go see TPU's 980 Ti reviews for proof.

I had 1080 shortly, but returned it because it felt like a side-grade coming from 980 Ti @ 1.5+ GHz.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
System Name Purple Stuff
Processor Intel Core I7-8700K @ 5.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory Corsair Vengence 16 GB DDR4 @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung EVO 960 500 GB, HDD 4TB WD Black, SSD Crucial MX400 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU 27" x2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
Power Supply Seasonic Focus + Platinum 850 W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 700
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software Win 10 Pro
Price this to 1060 levels and they will sale like hotcakes.

Hell let's hope they price it @ 1030's levels. Why not? that 1080 perf for $75 /s. All that HBM and cooling is gonna be a tad steep from a production's point of view.
Hard to think AMD will make any money off these. After all this time and they can't even match Maxwell's efficiency. Gotta hand it to them that PR got everyone hyped up and they delivered a lemon, same performance you could've gotten an year ago. Fun stuff.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Still don't quite understand why haven't they just slammed two Polaris GPU's on a single card with internal CrossfireX. Or just shrunk the Fury X and clock it higher and call it a day.

HBM is a waste of money a fat polaris card with GDDR5X would have happily competed with the 1080.

What about Hawaii?

Hawaii wiped the floor with Kepler and Grenada even managed to stay competitive with Maxwell.

Something is really strange here, if the performance doesn't get an uplift (or the intent of the card (chip) is really to compete in another market (AI etc.)) it's pointless (edit: for gaming, other than freesync/if you put in more than one, but then the potential heat issue gets worse).

My 2 x 290X get roughly the same FireStrike score, 2 x almost 3 year old cards at 600MHz less (each, that's 60% uplift on Vega's clock) and only 25% more power consumption for the same result and Vega does not have to use crossfire? Weird stuff. Although the die area is not much larger than Hawaii the compute performance is supposed to be > 2x ... :confused::confused:

As mentioned 2 x RX580 would use the same or less power and produce a similar score for ~€500-600 at non-gouged RRP.

I can't believe all this money, R&D time/effort etc. would be poured into the new architecture to effectively end up with 2 x 290x/RX580 in one slot.

There must be more to this or gaming is just an afterthought "we can do it and it'll be good with freesync and no crossfire issues, but the main focus of Vega is pro/AI/compute".

Anyway we should know more over the next few days.

I'm still a little hopeful the numbers posted (if real) are for the lowest tier card/older API/old drivers.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Yes, when you change variables its rating would change. Thats inferred, no? Oops, said... #131.

In other words, a heatsink rated at xxxW with a xxC delta will yield different temps on different cpus...but its the cpu (and all other variables) which is causing the difference in temperature between different cpus with the same heatload.

Heatsinks arent tested initially with chips, outside of computer modeling, its hot plates with specific heat loads. Its essentially saying, this chunk of metal can dissipate xxxW at a deltaT of xxC. When you put something under it at ths same heatload with different substrate materials, die sizes, paste, ihs, etc...its going to have a different temperature due to the OTHER variables. I think what you are trying to say is the amount of wattage a heatsink can handle will vary based on the max temp you want out of it... which is of course true...but not what im saying. ;)

Am i missing something still?

I think we are almost in agreement, my point was that if chip A i designed for a Tj of 95 °C while another is designed for 70 °C, if the power consumed by both chips are the same, say 125 W a cooler that is capable of cooling chip A at 125 W will exceed the Tj of chip B, therefore, your line in post #129:
becomes a bit wrong.

Then again, as cadaveca points out I am not completely correct myself. closes ting i get to cooling is on hobby basis with computers.

Also, so that not all of this post is OT, if the new RX vega can handle a higher Tj a single 120 mm rad could be enough.

Processor Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E MPG Carbon Wifi
Cooling Custom loop, 2x360mm radiator,Lian Li UNI, EK XRes140,EK Velocity2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5-6400 @ 6400MHz C32
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra OC Scanner core +750 mem
Storage MP600 2TB,960 EVO 1TB,XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB,Micron 1100 2TB,1.5TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Acer X34S, Acer XB270HU
Case LianLi O11 Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Logitech G-Pro X Wireless
Power Supply EVGA P3 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon w/ GX Brown
VR HMD HP Reverb G2 (V2)
Software Win 11
And third. They are tweaking Vega to boost performance to match or come close to 1080 TI. I'm sure AMD is at least trying to accomplish that. if they succeed I don't know but I think Vega has the potential and they can squeeze more outta it.

Again, from what we've seen of Vega Frontier Edition, if you expect drivers to make up a 30%+ difference in performance you guys need to adjust your thinking.

I think we are almost in agreement, my point was that if chip A i designed for a Tj of 95 °C while another is designed for 70 °C, if the power consumed by both chips are the same, say 125 W a cooler that is capable of cooling chip A at 125 W will exceed the Tj of chip B, therefore, your line in post #129:

becomes a bit wrong.

Then again, as cadaveca points out I am not completely correct myself. closes ting i get to cooling is on hobby basis with computers.

Also, so that not all of this post is OT, if the new RX vega can handle a higher Tj a single 120 mm rad could be enough.
buuuut, the heatsink's ability doesnt change. Its the product underneath it which has the limits ARTIFICIALLY lowering its effectiveness. Again, the HS properties do not change all otber variables remaining tbe same. Heatsinks arent measured by what temps it can achieve on cpus, but on the amount of heat it can dissipate and the delta over ambient.

I digress as well.. OT. :)