• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon VII Retested With Latest Drivers

Low quality post by xkm1948
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL, HTC Vive
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 10 Professional/Linux Mint
I suggest you relax a bit xkm1948 as you have been writing constant provocative posts for hours in this thread. And I think that might end bad for you. A simple advice. I understand your pain or anger for your FuryX not being what you wanted to be but this attitute in an AMD thread towards anyone liking their products is doing harm for sure. And you use to do that a lot for months now in any AMD GPU related thread. Don't take it as a personal attack, just pointing out that it is a dangerous path for a TPU forum member the one you follow lately.
Suggesting people to buy and test themselves is provactive? Since when I can no longer participae in discussions? They say what they wanted to say, i suggest they use their own purchase to backup their claim and that is wrong? Are you trying to censor postings now?

Low quality post by EarthDog
I suggest you relax a bit xkm1948 as you have been writing constant provocative posts for hours in this thread. And I think that might end bad for you. A simple advice. I understand your pain or anger for your FuryX not being what you wanted to be but this attitute in an AMD thread towards anyone liking their products is doing harm for sure. And you use to do that a lot for months now in any AMD GPU related thread. Don't take it as a personal attack, just pointing out that it is a dangerous path for a TPU forum member the one you follow lately.
The ignore list is brand loyalty agnostic... :)

Really, there are some pretty scary opinions on both sides of the fence here that need reigned in or just straight kicked out. If my ignore list his 15 (and lord knows we are close!), I'm just walking from this fookn forum.

Low quality post by Vayra86
Processor i7 8700k 4.7Ghz @ 1.26v
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X @ 2100/5500
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Eizo Foris FG2421
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum
Keyboard Sharkoon MK80 (Brown)
Software W10 x64
Suggesting people to buy and test themselves is provactive? Since when I can no longer participae in discussions? They say what they wanted to say, i suggest they use their own purchase to backup their claim and that is wrong? Are you trying to censor postings now?
Well I have to agree it does all sound a bit baity and it doesn't help the overall quality of topics. That is at least what I associate this with. Its not like you are genuinely interested in the answers. Consider it feedback...

Low quality post by notb
Please explain the 55 cents, I'm intrigued :D
Well, the calculation was very long - I don't want to bore anyone with the details...
But a few variables cancelled and I got this in the end:
exp(2*ln("current year" - 2009) + "which planet from Sun you're on") = exp(2*ln(10)+3)
that's the way you calculate how much a GPU should cost, right?

And it may actually explain @Super XP 's results, because, judging by his comments, he's clearly from a different time or planet...

Low quality post by xkm1948
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Well I have to agree it does all sound a bit baity and it doesn't help the overall quality of topics. That is at least what I associate this with. Its not like you are genuinely interested in the answers. Consider it feedback...
Dude I am ALL for scientific methods. I am a molecular genetist. You make a hypothesis and you back it up with experimental setup and results. Anyone can go around all day and fart claims out lf thin air. But to make solid claims one has to get their hands dirty and get to do the experiments: FineWine as one of many examples.

Low quality post by Vayra86
Processor i7 8700k 4.7Ghz @ 1.26v
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X @ 2100/5500
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Eizo Foris FG2421
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum
Keyboard Sharkoon MK80 (Brown)
Software W10 x64
Dude I am ALL for scientific methods. I am a molecular genetist. You make a hypothesis and you back it up with experimental setup and results. Anyone can go around all day and fart claims out lf thin air. But to make solid claims one has to get their hands dirty and get to do the experiments: FineWine as one of many examples.
The point is, those examples exist and we already know what's up. Stop beating the dead horse...

Low quality post by EarthDog
Well why not try a new occupation at AMD and contribute in making their gpus better instead talking how shait their hardware is.
Sorry, you will need to get in line behind the dude from Adored who nearly lost his gag reflex trying to get a job at AMD. :p

Low quality post by notb
Well why not try a new occupation at AMD and contribute in making their gpus better instead talking how shait their hardware is.
You do understand that molecular biology and semiconductor engineering are 2 different things, right?
But man... wouldn't it be nice if AMD finally employed (or at least cooperated with) people that represent the "pro" client segment.
Nvidia is *so active* in promoting and supporting GPGPU and it clearly didn't hurt their products...

When looking at recent AMD products and how they try to be attractive to content creators, it does remind me of how open-source software for photographers looks.
Software people are like: "we gave you all these fantastic features! Why are you still using that dreaded, expensive Photoshop?!"
And AMD is like: "we gave you all this fantastic cores and we crush Intel in benchmarks! Why are you still using that awful, expensive i7?!"

Sorry, you will need to get in line behind the dude from Adored who nearly lost his gag reflex trying to get a job at AMD. :p
Man... I'm actually thinking about applying for a job at Nvidia. I wonder if I'd still be able to take part in all these lovely flames if they choose me... :/

System Name Main Machine
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WI-FI)
Cooling Water cooling, EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm Rads, CPU XSPC RayStorm Pro RBG
Memory 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon VII and Sapphire R9 Radeon Vega 64
Storage Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe 250GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB,4x3TB Seagate
Display(s) BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 144Hz 27 inch Freesync
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series HX1200i 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 10 Pro
@W1zzard
Thanks a lot for the effort to retest. :toast:
Me as Radeon VII owner was not expecting any large performance increase between 19.2.1 and 19.2.2. The time frame I believe is too short between the two.
It did though manage to fix few issues with Wattman and overclocking.

What I personally noticed is that Black Ops 4 is running better. With 19.2.1 on my PC the frame was changing very fast between 70 FPS and 120FPS by every movement in game. The GPU clock was having lot of dips. With new drive it is mostly varying above 100FPS staying close to 120FPS and GPU clock is relatively stable. I have BenQ Zowie XL2730 FreeSync 144Hz monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD FX-8350 4GHz@1.3V
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A UD3 Rev3.0
Cooling Zalman CNPS5X Performa
Memory 2*4GB Patriot Venom RED DDR3 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) XFX RX580 GTS 4GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 120GB, 2 Samsung F1 & F3 (1TB)
Display(s) LG IPS235
Case Zalman Neo Z9 Black
Audio Device(s) Via 7.1 onboard
Power Supply OCZ Z550
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 sp1 64bit
Benchmark Scores CB R15 64bit: single core 99p, multicore 647p WPrime 1.55 (8 cores): 9.0 secs
Since you are fond of numbers that prove things scientifically, here is an example that proves that AMD GPUs aren't shown in their best form at their launch and this helps us customers to get an equal or better product in better price than will deserve in a few months only. And for a customer that keeps his hardware at least for 3 years, this is an opportunity.

I'm simply stating facts. I would wish that AMD GPU's were able to compete.. All their "high-end" solutions have been terrible recently. Leaving this segment for Nvidia.
Not sure what you mean. Does this card not compete at all? AMD needed CPUs to survive so they focused on that. Or you would have no AMD and Radeon graphics. Now CPU side is going good they will eventually get to the GPU side. Given their need to survive as company I am not sure how this is so bad. They somehow managed to stay relevant which in its own is good enough while starting to give intel some serious competition on CPU side. AMD did what they had to and thought long term. If they invested more in GPU side they might not be in business right now because CPU side is where they are going to survive as a company. Its not a matter of if, its just when. I think in next few years will have their Zen of GPUs too.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 8700K at 4900 mhz.. 1.24 volt core
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage Three.. all solid state 128 Transend.. 1 T Sandisk.. 1 T Transend.. plus USB external..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
well i am glad i forked out for a 2080ti.. at least i dont have to worry about the rest..

i follow all this stuff because it interests me.. but its all being spoiled by to much negativity.. too much entitlement infringement.. too much silly red green bickering..
huge lengthy threads about f-ck all...

trog

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Since you are fond of numbers that prove things scientifically, here is an example that proves that AMD GPUs aren't shown in their best form at their launch and this helps us customers to get an equal or better product in better price than will deserve in a few months only. And for a customer that keeps his hardware at least for 3 years, this is an opportunity.

This is exactly my point. For people who don’t believe in W1zzard’s review, go get a Radeon 7. Test it along the life span of the GPU and report back how it ages.

System Name Pc
Processor i5 4460s
Motherboard H81M-VG4 R3.0
Cooling Stock
Memory G.Skill 2 x 4GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 Boost
Storage WD Black 1TB
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Power Supply Seasonic 620w
Software Win 10 x64
This is exactly my point. For people who don’t believe in W1zzard’s review, go get a Radeon 7. Test it along the life span of the GPU and report back how it ages.
W1zzard’s reviews are of top quality and i dont doubt his ability but he is one, most people dont have the expertice nor the equipment to test hardware thus they realy on reviews and you dont make an educated decision based on one review.

Low quality post by siluro818
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk Arctic B350
Cooling Noctua NH-L12; 2x Corsair SP120; 3x Arctic F8 Rev.2;
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC 8GB (1.7GHz GPU/1045MHz HBM2)
Storage Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD; EVO 860 500GB SSD; 2x1TB SATA2 HDD;
Display(s) Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU; Samsung UE49MU6470;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M
I huv the money for a top of the line peformer. U mad cause i can afford something good? lol

Also i am not your bro, kiddo
Oh nobody's arguing that you have the money, clearly lacking in every other area though ;)

The point is, those examples exist and we already know what's up. Stop beating the dead horse...
While I'm not a huge fan of the argument quality we've seen here, I do share @xkm1948 's enthusiasm for a more scientific approach (as shown earlier).
I mean: we've been hearing about FineWine for years and it doesn't look like this could ever stop. There are, as you said "examples" or "traces" that something could be going on, but that's a bit like a proof of existence of ether or gods - we've seen some weird stuff going on, so let's assume there's a reason and let's give it a catchy name.

We had a nice discussion about quality of journalism in another topic. Seriously, wouldn't you like to see a proper experiment for this theory?
It's not that hard either. You take a few cards from different generations, 20-30 driver editions released over 5 years, a few AAA games and you measure all data points.
Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of people on thousands of forums talking about a phenomenon that no one has ever confirmed in a controlled environment. And it's been going for years. And it will keep going for as long as AMD will be making GPUs.

Why hasn't any of the large tech sites done this? Are they afraid of the result and angry mob from either side?
Why hasn't AMD done this?

Low quality post by siluro818
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk Arctic B350
Cooling Noctua NH-L12; 2x Corsair SP120; 3x Arctic F8 Rev.2;
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC 8GB (1.7GHz GPU/1045MHz HBM2)
Storage Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD; EVO 860 500GB SSD; 2x1TB SATA2 HDD;
Display(s) Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU; Samsung UE49MU6470;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M
Wait, wait, wait: "I am a molecular genetist."

*nondescript snorting sounds*

Oh god that was just... Try to put together some molecules for that blood pressure, mate.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
While I'm not a huge fan of the argument quality we've seen here, I do share @xkm1948 's enthusiasm for a more scientific approach (as shown earlier).
I mean: we've been hearing about FineWine for years and it doesn't look like this could ever stop. There are, as you said "examples" or "traces" that something could be going on, but that's a bit like a proof of existence of ether or gods - we've seen some weird stuff going on, so let's assume there's a reason and let's give it a catchy name.

We had a nice discussion about quality of journalism in another topic. Seriously, wouldn't you like to see a proper experiment for this theory?
It's not that hard either. You take a few cards from different generations, 20-30 driver editions released over 5 years, a few AAA games and you measure all data points.
Instead, we have hundreds of thousands of people on thousands of forums talking about a phenomenon that no one has ever confirmed in a controlled environment. And it's been going for years. And it will keep going for as long as AMD will be making GPUs.

Why hasn't any of the large tech sites done this? Are they afraid of the result and angry mob from either side?
Why hasn't AMD done this?
HardOCP did. They found Nvidia does not gimp their cards and AMD does not FineWine either

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Cruncher / Cruncher 2
Processor i9 7980XE / E5 2683 v3
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X299 XE / ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock / EK Supremacy
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB 3200 / G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 980 Ti Classified / Old ATI card
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + Mushkin Reactor 1 TB / OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U3011 30"
Case TT Core V51 / Rosewell
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX1200 / Thermaltake 550
Software Ubuntu 18.04 / Ubuntu 16.04
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Warning and reply bans issued. No more personal attacks. Play nice or move along.

HardOCP did. They found Nvidia does not gimp their cards and AMD does not FineWine either
OK, I've just checked it. Not enough data points, wrong presentation. But otherwise the right direction. Thanks.

Processor Intel i5-6600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Extreme7+
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i11
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 G.Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 128 and 256GB OCZ Vertex4, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 3TB Seagate
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Chieftec BX01
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
OK, I've just checked it. Not enough data points, wrong presentation. But otherwise the right direction. Thanks.
Wrong attitude I'd say. You're looking for someone to disprove by the book something that has only anecdotally been proven.

System Name Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor i7 920@3.73 / i5 4690k@4.2
Motherboard GB EX58-UDP4 / GB Z97MX-G5
Cooling Pure Rock / LQ-310
Memory Corsair Something 12 / Corsair 16
Video Card(s) Devil Vega 56 / Aorus 580
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) AOC Q3279VWFD8 @ 40-75Hz / Sony w800b
Case AzzA 1000 / Carbide 240
Audio Device(s) Auzen Forte / Yamaha RX-V475 + Pioneer AJ
Power Supply Corsair HX750 / Dark Power PRO10
Software w10 64 / w10 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
If I may, a suggestion for benchmarks going forward: have a small icon next to the game titles, indicating if they are nVidia or AMD sponsored.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Long term performance, people dont usually keep their cards long enough to see the impact. With the progression rate most modern GPUs have usful gaming performance life span for 3~4 years. By the time FineWine is ready the GPU is already obsolete.

System Name Pc
Processor i5 4460s
Motherboard H81M-VG4 R3.0
Cooling Stock
Memory G.Skill 2 x 4GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 Boost
Storage WD Black 1TB
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Power Supply Seasonic 620w
Software Win 10 x64
If I may, a suggestion for benchmarks going forward: have a small icon next to the game titles, indicating if they are nVidia or AMD sponsored.
That's a decent idea, or instead of the icon you can just add text next to the game title nVidia or AMD sponsored

The improvements offered by these updated drivers are on par with NVidia's same efforts for RTX and seem to show that with proper optimizations Radeon 7 is going to be a great card for a ton of usage scenario's.