• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX Vega First Pricing Information Leaked in Sweden - "Feels Wrong"

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Isnt it weird that same point, i believe, supports my thoughts??? :)

It wont boost that high/there are set limits to boost as well, and it is not the limit of the silicon, its set by mfg. This is where overclocking comes in... past factory clocks...boost 3.0 are still factory clocks. Just because its warmer and each glu will settle at a different clock, doesnt change its factory settings doing so. The factory sets the boost range. There is a set base clock, a set boost min, and set boost max (within params they setup). Overclocking is outside of what the factory provides.

Anyhoo... good talk..we'll chase our tails on this one so... :)

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I do not deem this automated process whos maximums and minumums are set by the mfg, named boost 3.0, to be overclocking. You also arent breaking the warranty when the card goes past its 'rated' boost automatically .... they dont warranty overclocking, so, boost 3.0 cant be overclocking, right (a bit of a joke there, the last part).

There is a small contigent that believes xmp is overclocking, lol... i sure dont... but the ics are rated for 2400 mhz and binned up. Apples to oranges... fine. :)
Well in terms of 1080 if you get a founders edition you get TDP 180W. Specification may be the founders edition. With all custom cards it's way higher. It can jump to over 280W so it has surpassed the TDP of a founders card drastically. The companies know there's potential in the card so they use it. Just like the "theoneand....." said. Hard to tell which is specification cause for each card it is different and companies adjust the specs when they boost the card's frequency, voltage and TDP.

Isnt it weird that same point, i believe, supports my thoughts??? :)

It wont boost that high/there are set limits to boost as well, and it is not the limit of the silicon, its set by mfg. This is where overclocking comes in... past factory clocks...boost 3.0 are still factory clocks. Just because its warmer and each glu will settle at a different clock, doesnt change its factory settings doing so. The factory sets the boost range. There is a set base clock, a set boost min, and set boost max (within params they setup). Overclocking is outside of what the factory provides.

Anyhoo... good talk..we'll chase our tails on this one so... :)

Overclocking is outside of what the factory provides. Retailers push the specs, set their own and that becomes factory(different than reference cards have). It's just how I see it. Besides I can't say it is wrong. I mean if a card is capable of more performance why not use it adding bigger heat spreader and more fans.

Last edited:
The same will be true of the Vega RX on air. For a firestrike run the 1080 card will stay near it's top boost clock until the temps reach 82. With a tweak of the fan curve the 1080 will stay high with some audible fan noise. Base model Pascals operate this way - they'll ramp up to higher clocks without any overclock if temps allow. It's why a wise 1080/1080ti owner buys the cheapest card and pops it under water - instant 2GHz+ clocks without any need for a fancy custom card. I dare say the Vega RX card will be the same - needs water to shine.

I agree 100% and Vega RX is also capable to "boost at will" under thermal costraint.
I don't expect Vega 10 to be a super architecture, but I will judge it when prices, specs, optimized drivers and AIB will be available, as everyone should do with every architecture.
People claiming all of the last two century of human achievements in physics and electronics is now doomed to obsolescence because Volta is coming out in twelve hours? Absolutely nobody breaking a moment to think that probably the first reference volta will cost >=~1000 bucks?

What I do not really like is people sh*tting on a not yet seen product only because they don't like the brand of that product.
This drives me mad.

I agree 100% and Vega RX is also capable to "boost at will" under thermal costraint.
I don't expect Vega 10 to be a super architecture, but I will judge it when prices, specs, optimized drivers and AIB will be available, as everyone should do with every architecture.
People claiming all of the last two century of human achievements in physics and electronics is now doomed to obsolescence because Volta is coming out in twelve hours? Absolutely nobody breaking a moment to think that probably the first reference volta will cost >=~1000 bucks?

What I do not really like is people sh*tting on a not yet seen product only because they don't like the brand of that product.
This drives me mad.
Yeah but people are crapping on AMD for a lot more reasons than the brand. Like everyone else they have made a lot of mistakes and will continue to. I think a lot of us old school guys are more mature about it all and still like Nvidia, AMD an Intel. That doesn't mean we like every product or thing they do but we don't just make sh1tposts for no reason .

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Vega should have about 100% mining performance compared to Polaris. Clearly the software needs optimizations for the architecture.
Mining is nearly a pure computational workload. There would be nothing to optimize for in the software.