• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX Vega Mining Performance Reportedly Doubled With Driver Updates

People are very naive if they still think this crypto mining business has any future for the average user. Is simple logic actually. The more people are mining the harder the process to get the crypto coins becomes. So, very soon actually, only big Enterprise mining companies will keep buying video cards for this purpose, since for the average Joe the investment would not be any more profitable anymore (initial cost+running cost).

That is when you switch to a different coin lol.

Yhea right. Let's just shut up and accept the lack of stock and inflated price. Let gaming pc or even video editing/3D rendering pc become something accesible to only the richest among us. Computers used to be a luxury after all. We've been too spoiled lately.

You will shut up and accept it, because you have no other choice.

Graphics cards possess immense processing power for the money, and it was inevitable they would inflate in price once applications started to make good use of their processing power. Nvidia has been trying to increase GPU prices for years simply because they are sick and tired of selling a 1080 for $500 when the professional version is being sold for $2000!

AMD didn't have the mindshare to demand higher prices, but now their cards are also finally being utilized for business purposes.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I think you need to look at your own post again and question just about every line to see how many options you leave open, how oddly tunnel vision your "argument" is given the variables presented by yourself.

How about this line -> ...but I'm sure someone will disagree and explain to me how this is cryptocurrency is the messiah of money making..

Yup , spot on.

So you told me I am wrong , fair enough. Now how tell me why , because what you said is extremely vague at best and does not count as an argument in all fairness. Not even as much as "tunnel vision argument" and you know it.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
All AMD needs to do is either have an infinite amount of foresight to know if 1) their card will be great at a digital currency algorithm and 2) they have all the supplies in the world with the same fixed cost.

Other than that if they have a logic processor that happens to be better than the competition at calculating certain loads due to architecture and higher accuracy during specific computation workloads.... people will buy them and retailers will gouge buyers.

Why doesn't someone blame Nvidia for their mediocre performance per dollar? How about their love of substituting lower accuracy for higher performance unless its explicitly stated the pipeline must remain at 16 or 32 bit? How come no one makes a new ASIC that outperforms everyone elses?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
This thread is a double post-a-rama.

Learn to multi-quote people.

How come no one makes a new ASIC that outperforms everyone elses?

I read somewhere (maybe the back of a bus shelter) that some crypto-currencies are scripted so as not be readily ASIC mined, i.e. the ASIC miners have had their day to stop mass corporations mining for profit. This maybe why the run on AMD for mining has been so unbelievably strong as the ASIC rigs are out in the cold.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
All AMD needs to do is either have an infinite amount of foresight to know if 1) their card will be great at a digital currency algorithm and 2) they have all the supplies in the world with the same fixed cost.

Other than that if they have a logic processor that happens to be better than the competition at calculating certain loads due to architecture and higher accuracy during specific computation workloads.... people will buy them and retailers will gouge buyers.

Why doesn't someone blame Nvidia for their mediocre performance per dollar? How about their love of substituting lower accuracy for higher performance unless its explicitly stated the pipeline must remain at 16 or 32 bit? How come no one makes a new ASIC that outperforms everyone elses?

AMD is responsible for the mining craze , latest fanboy joke of the year.

AMD is responsible for the mining craze , latest fanboy joke of the year.

ikr? LOL

Look I get why people are frustrated, but there really is no one out there to blame. The only blame I can think of is to be annoyed that this surprised AMD/Nvidia yet again.

This is like the 3rd time their cards have sold out due to miners, and to be surprised by the THIRD time something has happened is completely ridiculous.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
The only blame I can think of is to be annoyed that this surprised AMD/Nvidia yet again.

I doesn't even matter if they have been taken by surprise or not , it ain't their fault and there is nothing they can do other than to gain unlimited supply of wafers.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
You will shut up and accept it, because you have no other choice.

Graphics cards possess immense processing power for the money, and it was inevitable they would inflate in price once applications started to make good use of their processing power. Nvidia has been trying to increase GPU prices for years simply because they are sick and tired of selling a 1080 for $500 when the professional version is being sold for $2000!

AMD didn't have the mindshare to demand higher prices, but now their cards are also finally being utilized for business purposes.

Quadro price are justified for the added value that they bring for people making a living from content creation or scientific usage.
Geforce and radeon are mainly entertainement tool that can also be used for compute. Gaming card can do compute task just fine, but the developement of their driver isn't made with optimisation for the lastest rendering engine, or the lastest 3d software, it's focalised on games. You want a quick fix for a bug in maya ? You gotta buy a quadro or a radeon pro.

Both Nvidia and AMD have compute unit that were made from the ground up for heavy processing 24/24 7/7 for several years. But the average joe don't buy them, he can't afford it. Instead he's buying stuff that was meant for entertainement. And the demamd is higher than what the factory can put out. Hell even without miners, we already had issue with stock because manufacturing silicon becomes harder and harder. Mining need to have specific hardware that is cheap to make and got a low energy cost.

I'm also doing video edititing 3d rendering/compositing with my pc. So I was really glad to see opencl, cuda, bring more speed for those kind of task.

But for me mining doesn't hold the same value. Mining isn't something that you can enjoy on the long term with a single gpu, the more people that get on the band wagon, the more power it require. Mining hunger is growing way faster than the technology it's using. ETH is the cause of unprecedented energy drain.
Good thing laptop are not concerned by all of this. If their price had to increase because of all this we would have reached total insanity.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
40k (USD?) profit/year would be a gold mine for many folks.. A lot of people (myself included at the moment) earn less than that working a "real" job.
Really?
40k USD at the moment, but constantly falling, for a super noisy, high maintenance, high risk fire hazard in your basement or garage is a gold mine?

And as with all the other cryptocurrencies, by the time it's mentioned in public it's really too late to earn any real money mining. The ones making a real profit are the ones who mined thousands of coins when it was easy and unknown. You are going to earn less for every single new miner and every single new coin that's found, that sounds like a pretty bad investment.

It's not that hard to make a couple thousands bucks a month dealing in collectibles such as stamps, old video games, etc. But before you think you can make a living from such activities, you should take a closer look at what you'll earn per hour reliably…

That is when you switch to a different coin lol.
This will not go on forever.
And there is no guarantee that the cards you buy now will be good for any kind of mining for the next years. And it's not like these cards last for many years when doing mining 24-7.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Really?
40k USD at the moment, but constantly falling, for a super noisy, high maintenance, high risk fire hazard in your basement or garage is a gold mine?

And as with all the other cryptocurrencies, by the time it's mentioned in public it's really too late to earn any real money mining. The ones making a real profit are the ones who mined thousands of coins when it was easy and unknown. You are going to earn less for every single new miner and every single new coin that's found, that sounds like a pretty bad investment.

It's not that hard to make a couple thousands bucks a month dealing in collectibles such as stamps, old video games, etc. But before you think you can make a living from such activities, you should take a closer look at what you'll earn per hour reliably…

This will not go on forever.
And there is no guarantee that the cards you buy now will be good for any kind of mining for the next years. And it's not like these cards last for many years when doing mining 24-7.

Funny, I have 16 mining rigs and the last one to go down or restart was over a week ago (stupid windows update). In the beginning it was like a full time job for me but I gave up on the high overclocking and every card now is stock. 99% stable now.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
If this is true, I am ready to order 24+ from a local supplier near by.

I am looking at 18 units myself. Love all the complaining in the thread though. Magically all these people "were going to upgrade"

Funny, I have 16 mining rigs and the last one to go down or restart was over a week ago (stupid windows update). In the beginning it was like a full time job for me but I gave up on the high overclocking and every card now is stock. 99% stable now.

All of mine have the ram bumped and the tdp dropped only cards I still have issues with are the damn amd ones.

hope you don't mind me asking but how many gpu's per rig?

like say if I had just 4 580' going in whatever coin that's "in atm" any ballpark number on monthly profits?

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
You probably actually earn more this way than you did before too, don't you? Less downtime...

@cdawall you got any 1070s with micron RAM? If so, what's your memory offset and power target for them?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Bringing this thread back on track; the only way mining is going to have a substantial effect on supplies for Vega is if the supplies themselves are very limited to begin with. With a normal high volume card, mining sales would just make up a few percent of the shipped units. But if Vega is an attractive mining GPU, and the supplies are going to just be a few thousands, then surely it will be hard to get.

But make no mistake, even the most crazy mining rush will not be enough to make a good profit for AMD. I did my bitcoin mining before the big GPU rush there, but even that big GPU rush did not make a real impact on AMD's market position nor AMD's profits. Even if AMD managed to ship enough Vegas to meet any demand, the mining market is ultimately "capped", since each new coin makes it less profitable. Even with constantly new currencies, the demand for such GPUs are fairly limited over time. If Vega turns out to be 2-3× better at mining than current cards, that's just going accelerate the rush until it becomes unprofitable.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
You probably actually earn more this way than you did before too, don't you? Less downtime...

@cdawall you got any 1070s with micron RAM? If so, what's your memory offset and power target for them?

All of my 1070's are micron they are all stable at +65/+550/70% TDP that's good for 30mh/s

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
a 30-day warranty,

Not in the EU not unless they want the EU up their ..........................unmentionable
And the EU is a Very Big market ( with consumer Protection Clout )

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Really?

The original post, which I commented on only stated 40k profit/year. The assumption would be that includes the price/need to add cards, switching coins etc. i.e. earning 40k/year from mining versus a proper job - or even as an extra in one's spare time.

THAT is what I consider a gold mine ... free money for very little work. Actually that would be BETTER than a gold mine as real mining is pretty hard on one's body. ;)

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
I am looking at 18 units myself. Love all the complaining in the thread though. Magically all these people "were going to upgrade"

All of mine have the ram bumped and the tdp dropped only cards I still have issues with are the damn amd ones.
Well apparently you got the money to buy whatever you like at whatever price, no wonder that you would be oblivious to peasants whinning. :D
I don't care about vega, even the msrp would be above my budget. what really annoy me is how it's reaching even budget oriented market, and the incertitude about when it's going to settle down.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
The original post, which I commented on only stated 40k profit/year. The assumption would be that includes the price/need to add cards, switching coins etc. i.e. earning 40k/year from mining versus a proper job

That doesn't include the cost of the cards , and you never know how relevant ETH is going to remain relevant ,which is what I used as an example or any coin for that matter. Cards brake too. It's something too volatile for someone that isn't already very financially stable to invest into. Call it a gold mine , I wouldn't. You might just as well start betting.

As a side income it's OK but at that point it as far as it can get form a gold mine.

GAR

Processor Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon R9 290X
Storage Samsung 500GB SSD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144HZ
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs ZxR
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Lol at all the butthurt and blaming AMD as if AMD has ANYTHING to do with the "mining crisis".

You're mad, b/c AMD has had superior cards for many years (forever) for this particular workload.

Boohoo. Go cry to mommy, so she can buy you one.

Little Huang is laughing all the way to the bank. They don't even have to trick you. You're tricking yourselves. Go buy an Intel CPU why you're at, so you can really stick it to AMD (as if they're profiting from inflated prices...).

LOL who is this fool? get out of here you idiot.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Well apparently you got the money to buy whatever you like at whatever price, no wonder that you would be oblivious to peasants whinning. :D
I don't care about vega, even the msrp would be above my budget. I just don't like how it's reaching even budget oriented market, and the incertitude about when it's going to settle down.

That was a stock issues. The lack of stock of for cards worth buying made budget cards looked at. Anything below a 1060/570 is a waste of money.

That doesn't include the cost of the cards , and you never know how relevant ETH is going to remain relevant ,which is what I used as an example or any coin for that matter. Cards brake too. It's something too volatile for someone that isn't already very financially stable to invest into. Call it a gold mine , I wouldn't. You might just as well start betting.

As a side income it's OK but at that point it as far as it can get form a gold mine.

Then you swap to a different crypto currency. Cards have warranties as well if they go down, box them up send them out and move on. The only cards I am seeing really have issues are ones run too hot or memory pushed too far. Most miners who do this to make money and not because tom's hardware had a thread about it massively drop TDP levels and wattage consumed so you are looking load wise at nothing more than a typical game might hit (often times it is lower than even that). Most of the algorithms worth money on a GPU mainly load the memory controllers.

As a side income it all depends what you are willing to invest. If you were to drop 100K into this yes it would a gold mine.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
If you were to drop 100K into this yes it would a gold mine.

But how many of these home miners drop 100k. Do you ? Who even has 100k to casually invest into something like this ? 100k is the kind of money a well paid job pays. Who would consider such an investment for some side income , a millionaire ?

My point is that this is really difficult to get into for most people and make a living out of it. Not a smart idea either.