• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX Vega Mining Performance Reportedly Doubled With Driver Updates

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
You know what I mean, if it's worth $399 MSRP then I'll sell it for $650. Triple was just an exaggeration :)

That's not really getting back at anyone. 2 cards is small potatoes. The guys you are talking about are renting aircraft to fly 60 thousand gpus

That's not really getting back at anyone. 2 cards is small potatoes. The guys you are talking about are renting aircraft to fly 60 thousand gpus

Totally understandable. My point I'm trying to make is, they caused prices to go way above MSRP, so now I'm going to gouge them, even if it's a single person.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Totally understandable. My point I'm trying to make is, they caused prices to go way above MSRP, so now I'm going to gouge them, even if it's a single person.

Is it gouging if they quite literally couldn't care less? I sold an obscene numver of 290/390/480/580's at $400 a pop in the past two months. Its not gouging its following the market.

Is it gouging if they quite literally couldn't care less? I sold an obscene numver of 290/390/480/580's at $400 a pop in the past two months. Its not gouging its following the market.

Haha, if you put it that way, so true.

Is it bad that I sold my R9 290 for $100 to my brother in law? This was way before ETH miining, yeah I'm a nice guy. I couldn't get it sold for $250 so I just sold it to him for dirt cheap.

Specs was:

AMD Sapphire R9 290 + NZXT Kraken G10 + Corsair H55 + GELID ICY Vision VRM Heatsinks + Zalman ZM-RHS1 VRAM Heatsinks

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Must be nice to legally be able to try to manipulate the market for your own gain. They just released baloney weeks ago, I guess it didn't work (obviously, stock didn't fall haha).
Well it's not "manipulating the market". It's a forecast. That's what we pay investments bank to do.
You can't just undermine everything that is against AMD...

BTW: wasn't the leaked Zen performance figures / the hype the actual market manipulation? Think how many people preordered a Ryzen and how much the stock price increased as a result.
In normal conditions people shouldn't preorder anything, ever.

lol, I know enough about renewables, what you dont know is in the UK the energy companies pass on the ful costs to develop them. The UK is not like the US. Our version of a free market is pretty much, don't pass on the savings, charge extra for the R&D. Our bills are rising over here (even before brexit) even though energy wholesale costs have risen and fallen etc.

Our govt plain sucks at improving business to help all. So renewables, ironically, end up adding a tariff onto our bills as the govt imposes CO2 emission chrages on coal and gas etc. And solar is not free. The R&D plus manufacture and actual solar efficiency is pretty bad. And where i live it's very green and very cloudy - no droughts, very little sun.

What I said is that solar is basically free energy. Don't let semantics get the better of you. There's something called return on investment(ROI) after a period of time something will pay for itself. It's the same thing for miners, after the GPU and electricity is paid for they may possibly return a profit.

OH MY GOD.
First we had "mining is free money" and now "solar is free energy". Where do you guys come from? :eek:
Where is this going? What's next? Fridge contains free food?

Why would anyone install a solar panel in Illinois? I checked some figures on sun exposure and it should be similar to central Europe - that is: rubbish. Solar panels in Europe are subsidized, because they can hardly make a profit.

Again, don't skew what was posted, I said BASICALLY FREE, big difference from IS FREE. If I gave you a solar array and installed it for you here in Chicago you could possibly have the utility company owing you money, of course they never pay you in cash, they just credit your account.

Don't worry, after everyone installs them, IL will pass a high tax on owning solar panels and give half the money to the electric companies (the rest into their wallets).

Honestly, I wouldn't doubt it if they tried to impose a tax. Here in Cook County they just placed a sweetened beverage tax on us of $0.01 per ounce of liquid.

Mining is free money :roll: What is the saying "if you love your job you never work a day in your life"?

Once you've hit your return on investment it is, assuming your currency isn't stolen.

Energy certainly isn't free and I haven't heard much of solar in Illinois, but there have been many large wind turbine farms in Illinois for years. There are ones with 100+ turbines just outside Peoria and close to 100 near DeKalb, and many others. Combined with cheap natural gas, thankfully energy is relatively very cheap here (.065 a kw/hr).

Unless you're running a ton of cards (like 20+) I doubt it would be a blip on a energy company radar. 1 plasma tv uses as many watts as 2 Vegas. I've also filled pools before which used thousands of extra gallons of water and I didn't have police at my door.

You haven't heard of much solar in Illinois because you're not involved with it. I'm an IBEW Local 134 electrician. We already have some good size solar fields out there, the West Pulman area is a great example and there are many more arrays being planned right now.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...589ca9afeba7ba!8m2!3d41.6780523!4d-87.6430841

There are of course some costs that come with the territory, these panels aren't invulnerable to bullets. The locals like to fire their guns in the air and those bullets come down and damage modules from time to time.

Energy isn;t totally free, ever. Anyone imagining it is living in cuckoo land, there are maintenance, material, personnel costs involved in using renewables.
Unless you can eliminate all 3, basically free installation & free everything afterwards, there will be certain costs associated with solar, wind et al forever.

Yep, that's why key words need to be left in the text. It's semantics but I said solar was basically free energy. There's a big difference. If you pay in full(you usually don't) your ROI would be about 20 years depending on your install. I could do the work myself if I wanted to so that would save myself a lot on labor.

Solar-wise Illinois is rubbish - no point discussing that further. :)

As for wind... Generally speaking, Illinois is quite far from the central US area known for strong winds. Yet, there are quite many wind farms.
Is wind energy subsidized by the state? Or maybe there's some microclimat that helps? Lakes?
Potential: http://www.tindallcorp.com/site/user/images/USA_Wind_Map_for_Tindall_Transp_2.jpg
Installations: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Distribution_of_wind_power_plants_in_U.S.png

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. You've clearly never been here and used a solar pathfinder. Solar is actually really good in Illinois. There are also kickbacks for solar installs for $10,000 in cases, a solar install will also add $10,000 to the value of your home after a home appraisal while most installs will be around $20,000 so right away you can break even. However, where I live I pay very little for per kilowatt-hour so in my case it would take a long time for solar to make sense if kickbacks weren't in effect. But I suggest you do your research and you'll realize how good solar is in Illinois and why there are very big projects being planned. IKEA has commited already.
http://midwestenergynews.com/2017/0...sh-with-illinois-largest-rooftop-solar-array/

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Well it's not "manipulating the market". It's a forecast. That's what we pay investments bank to do.
You can't just undermine everything that is against AMD...

BTW: wasn't the leaked Zen performance figures / the hype the actual market manipulation? Think how many people preordered a Ryzen and how much the stock price increased as a result.
In normal conditions people shouldn't preorder anything, ever.

Do you think real forecasts are given for free? Wallstreet is the scum of the planet. You might as well believe the govt while you're at it lol.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Once you've hit your return on investment it is, assuming your currency isn't stolen.

Don't hold coins and that doesn't happen.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Can I come over to your house? I'm going to guess you have all your savings hidden under your mattress.

I trust the bank not to steal my USD. The cryptocurrency market however I never keep anything I can't afford go lose in it. I just cashed out a chunk from BTC I got at 2600 as it broke 3400

Do you think real forecasts are given for free? Wallstreet is the scum of the planet. You might as well believe the govt while you're at it lol.
Yes. Banks are making thousands of analyses and forecasts. Some of them (for mainstream stocks) are released publicly as an element of marketing.
Sure, it's not always right, but it's in their interest to be as accurate as possible.
And it's not just banks - e.g. there was this guy that says BTC will be worth $50k. He's made a living (and a media career) by giving some recommendations for free - most likely the ones he finds most accurate.

Sometimes investment banks are employed by companies to "guard" the stock price. This is legal and clean.
But manipulating against the company is illegal. I doubt any large bank would take that risk for AMD - a small, yet very popular company (too many people and institutions watching).

Now, obviously there are documented situations where banks tried to manipulate a market with their publications and trades, but it's really, really rare. And usually about currencies, not stocks.

System Name LazyOldMan
Processor 9900KF
Motherboard Asrock z390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Corsair custom Watercooled
Memory 64 Gb
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT
Storage Too much to mention in all 980 TB
Display(s) 2 x Dell 4K @ 60 hz
Case Crap case
Audio Device(s) Realtek + Bayer Dynamics 990 Pro headset
Power Supply 1300 watt
Mouse Corsair cord mouse
Keyboard Corsair red lighter cabled keyboard ages old ;)
The flaw with that plan is that real miners (the ones causing the shortages) don't resell cards they run them till they die or become obsolete (at which point they're worth like £50 tops). The ones that resell/reuse them are the gamers/hobbyists who only get involved in mining for a short time during the booms.

LoL Believe me you do not want to buy a miner card at all unless you do not mind artifacts and a short lifespan of that card. In most cases the fans die because of the 24/7/365 usage. And in most cases the cards i used for mining ended up crashing or showed really weird things when i tried to game on them.
After i stopped mining with them i tested most and selected those which did not show artifacts and sold them for half the second hand market prices, or if they flunked i scrapped them. A good miner makes sure these card never hit the gamers market or warns the user that the risk of the card failing is high.
Thinking that it would be a good deal that miners dump those on the market is absolute misleading yourself.
I hope that both companies soon make mining cards in all the models from 1060 to 1080ti and from amd's rx560 up to the vega rx 64 watercooled.
In case someone claims a miner card is useless then you never heard of sli / or setting the card as physics for nvidia and amd is even much more fun you can add 4 cards and only need 1 card to connect to monitor(s) the rest will add the power anyway. Ofcourse adding cards does not give you double the performance but it works .... they do not need to have a monitor connector at all. Especially AMD because it uses crossfire-x so no need for linking the cards with a bridge. Make sure to check that your motherboard supports CF-x but any modern motherboard does in most cases up to 4 cards. It seems you can actually use AMD and nvidia up to 8 cards in windows 10. But my experience with that is its not working well. Even 2 x nvidia and 2 amd is not easy to get and keep it working especially when large updates arrives.

System Name LazyOldMan
Processor 9900KF
Motherboard Asrock z390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Corsair custom Watercooled
Memory 64 Gb
Video Card(s) RX 6800 XT
Storage Too much to mention in all 980 TB
Display(s) 2 x Dell 4K @ 60 hz
Case Crap case
Audio Device(s) Realtek + Bayer Dynamics 990 Pro headset
Power Supply 1300 watt
Mouse Corsair cord mouse
Keyboard Corsair red lighter cabled keyboard ages old ;)
What I said is that solar is basically free energy. Don't let semantics get the better of you. There's something called return on investment(ROI) after a period of time something will pay for itself. It's the same thing for miners, after the GPU and electricity is paid for they may possibly return a profit.

Again, don't skew what was posted, I said BASICALLY FREE, big difference from IS FREE. If I gave you a solar array and installed it for you here in Chicago you could possibly have the utility company owing you money, of course they never pay you in cash, they just credit your account.

Honestly, I wouldn't doubt it if they tried to impose a tax. Here in Cook County they just placed a sweetened beverage tax on us of $0.01 per ounce of liquid.

You haven't heard of much solar in Illinois because you're not involved with it. I'm an IBEW Local 134 electrician. We already have some good size solar fields out there, the West Pulman area is a great example and there are many more arrays being planned right now.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...589ca9afeba7ba!8m2!3d41.6780523!4d-87.6430841

There are of course some costs that come with the territory, these panels aren't invulnerable to bullets. The locals like to fire their guns in the air and those bullets come down and damage modules from time to time.

Yep, that's why key words need to be left in the text. It's semantics but I said solar was basically free energy. There's a big difference. If you pay in full(you usually don't) your ROI would be about 20 years depending on your install. I could do the work myself if I wanted to so that would save myself a lot on labor.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. You've clearly never been here and used a solar pathfinder. Solar is actually really good in Illinois. There are also kickbacks for solar installs for $10,000 in cases, a solar install will also add $10,000 to the value of your home after a home appraisal while most installs will be around $20,000 so right away you can break even. However, where I live I pay very little for per kilowatt-hour so in my case it would take a long time for solar to make sense if kickbacks weren't in effect. But I suggest you do your research and you'll realize how good solar is in Illinois and why there are very big projects being planned. IKEA has commited already.
http://midwestenergynews.com/2017/0...sh-with-illinois-largest-rooftop-solar-array/

Regarding solar energy its not worth the money in my country (netherlands) they are heavily taxed and costs a fortune. In my case almost 20.000 euro (bruto 6000 Wh) before you get that money back your well in the future and guess what the converter which costs about 2500 euro has to be replaced every 5 to 7 year see the problem here.
As soon as you think your earning something back your earning back is moved further in the future every 5 to 7 years. So you really believe that it is free money.....
Then there is the low return of these things because non of these solar selling companies tell the truth about the system.
The truth is that every part of these things eat power as well which is never calculated the converter consumes 250 to 550 watt and every panel depending if they do not have the power optimizers or they do.
15 to 25 watt without and up 75 with the optimizers. Ofcourse there is much more loss but it goes too far to give a estimate because it all depends on how long the cables and how the solar panels are placed and so on.
My system does hardly ever deliver 6000 watt at all on average it produces just below 3000 watt at a very sunny day .... So the calculation that i earned this whole crap back in less than 7 years is a pure BS it actually will never pay me back the price i payed for it, it actually will cost me every 5 to 7 year a new converter and thats without installation costs.
Even if you have the perfect alignement and have a high solar day count its hard to break even ever.
"btw 20000 euro is about 24000 dollar"
So even though my power bill dropped i still have to pay my power company because its not even covering the little power i use in my home, you allways need power when there is no effective sunlight for these things to make up for the power the system consumes.
Thats why they allways refuse to tell what your real return delivery is, because they know its much less than you think.
When i asked them to install meters so i could monitor the real power delivered they kept saying it was impossible todo.
At the electricity meter from the power company it shows over 2 years that it delivered back 4500 kWh in total to the meter

Regarding solar energy its not worth the money in my country (netherlands) they are heavily taxed and costs a fortune. In my case almost 20.000 euro (bruto 6000 Wh) before you get that money back your well in the future and guess what the converter which costs about 2500 euro has to be replaced every 5 to 7 year see the problem here.
As soon as you think your earning something back your earning back is moved further in the future every 5 to 7 years. So you really believe that it is free money.....
Then there is the low return of these things because non of these solar selling companies tell the truth about the system.
The truth is that every part of these things eat power as well which is never calculated the converter consumes 250 to 550 watt and every panel depending if they do not have the power optimizers or they do.
15 to 25 watt without and up 75 with the optimizers. Ofcourse there is much more loss but it goes too far to give a estimate because it all depends on how long the cables and how the solar panels are placed and so on.
My system does hardly ever deliver 6000 watt at all on average it produces just below 3000 watt at a very sunny day .... So the calculation that i earned this whole crap back in less than 7 years is a pure BS it actually will never pay me back the price i payed for it, it actually will cost me every 5 to 7 year a new converter and thats without installation costs.
Even if you have the perfect alignement and have a high solar day count its hard to break even ever.
"btw 20000 euro is about 24000 dollar"
So even though my power bill dropped i still have to pay my power company because its not even covering the little power i use in my home, you allways need power when there is no effective sunlight for these things to make up for the power the system consumes.
Thats why they allways refuse to tell what your real return delivery is, because they know its much less than you think.
When i asked them to install meters so i could monitor the real power delivered they kept saying it was impossible todo.
At the electricity meter from the power company it shows over 2 years that it delivered back 4500 kWh in total to the meter

It's certainly not great for everyone. And yes parts do wear out and the part that sucks is some of them can't be repaired so you're stuck buying new. You are being sold poor quality gear. My instructor has had systems last over 25 years without needing any service. However a lot of warranties are 20 years, you can get more out of them but performance does diminish over time . Lastly, it's an inverter

System Name Dell Precision T5810
Processor Xeon E5-1650 v3
Motherboard Dell X99
Cooling Dell fans x 2
Memory 8 x 4GB 2400 DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) Asus 2070 Turbo (blower style)
Storage 860 evo 500GB / Ironwolf 4TB
Display(s) LG C1 OLED 55"
Case Dell
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Dell 685W
Mouse Logitech something
Keyboard Dell OEM
So guys, are you using the AMD mining driver? I installed it but I see no difference on my 290X. In plus, I cannot overclock it on MSI Afterburner.