• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Overclocked to 5.90 GHz

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
New processor launches are closely followed by clock-speed and benchmark records, and that applies to even AMD's Ryzen 5 1600X six-core processor. Professional overclocker Der8auer succeeded in overclocking the chip to 5905.64 MHz without having to disable any cores. The feat was possible due to liquid nitrogen (LN2) cooling. The clock was made possibly by running the chip with a base-clock of 129.79 MHz, and a multiplier of 45.5X. The core-voltage is unclear. The processor was paired with an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard, and G.Skill Trident Z memory.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Why are people hitting hard walls at 4-4.2ghz under water when heat isnt a problem? is this a "special" bios? I personally think they are capable of more than this hard wall that everyone has hit and could have been hindered deliberately by AMD?? so they can release Ryzen + @4.5-5ghz when the time comes :confused:

Makes sense cause if they blew intel straight out of the water then intel would have just invested billions into developing their next "nehalem" chip that destroyed everything AMD came out with for the next 8 years and they'd be back inn the same boat as they were before. This way we get comparable intel performance whilst not beating them at everything allowing them to gain market share.... or maybe I just read into things too much :)

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
is this a "special" bios?
My understanding is, it is a "special process", current leaks grow much faster than with "usual process".

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Why are people hitting hard walls at 4-4.2ghz under water when heat isnt a problem? is this a "special" bios? I personally think they are capable of more than this hard wall that everyone has hit and could have been hindered deliberately by AMD?? so they can release Ryzen + @4.5-5ghz when the time comes :confused:

Makes sense cause if they blew intel straight out of the water then intel would have just invested billions into developing their next "nehalem" chip that destroyed everything AMD came out with for the next 8 years and they'd be back inn the same boat as they were before. This way we get comparable intel performance whilst not beating them at everything allowing them to gain market share.... or maybe I just read into things too much :)

Yeah its all a big conspiracy, that vCore requirement magically skyrockets because AMD deliberately handicapped their halo product... And of course it is very easy to just pull a new, better architecture out of the hat in a year. That's why it took AMD five years to develop Zen.

As with most conspiracy fantasies, the sense of realism eludes me entirely.

What you've said actually makes a lot of sense. Fixed/controlled market in a way.

Yeah its all a big conspiracy, that vCore requirement magically skyrockets because AMD deliberately handicapped their halo product... And of course it is very easy to just pull a new, better architecture out of the hat in a year. That's why it took AMD five years to develop Zen.

Would you so quickly dismiss the idea? I mean, c'mon they gimp/water down their GPUs all the time.

Why are people hitting hard walls at 4-4.2ghz under water when heat isnt a problem? is this a "special" bios...

I was wondering this too. Almost all of the R5 and R7 models hit that wall despite the heat and power. So why is this CPU able to hit nearly 5.9 GHz?

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I was wondering this too. Almost all of the R5 and R7 models hit that wall despite the heat and power. So why is this CPU able to hit nearly 5.9 GHz?

LN2... A bench on LN2 is done under entirely different circumstances, and an 'overclocked to' in this space means 'I could take a screenshot before it crashed'.

You guys need to stop mixing lack of knowledge with drawing conclusions. Next thing in line is the I in Intel refers to the Illuminati or something...

It is extremely obvious that Ryzen is optimized around its TDP budget and that going beyond that is very costly. Don't forget that Ryzen offers an 8c/16t within a 95W TDP budget, where Intel needs 140w budget for that. Effectively the perf/watt of Ryzen UP TO 4 GHZ is better than Intel. That is a huge feat, and obviously one that has drawbacks, one of them being the vCore increase to go beyond 4 Ghz. It's an architectural feature, AMD built Ryzen around a performance target and made the most efficient CPU on that premise.

Meanwhile, Intel has built all Core CPUs with headroom: they have aggressively improved Speedstep across the generations and they drop some extra volts on top 'to be safe' for example during AVX instructions. Intel could build it like this and 'improve from there' because when Core released, every competing CPU was much less efficient. Ryzen doesn't have that luxury, and it also doesn't have the luxury of an extremely optimized process and the best fabs.

Last edited:

LN2 is a whole different world.
You can't compare with daily water cooling OC, science happen at these temperatures.

This is likely GF's process limitation (remember Polaris?) & we'll likely see better clocks in the future. AMD might just go with LPP or IBM's process for Zen+ as they've done with Polaris refresh, IIRC the last Cinebench R15 world record was also on an 8 core Zen, the above just shows that getting high(er) speeds on all (six) cores is possible. This is just all round good news for Zen & AMD.

System Name Custom build
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASrock B550M
Cooling Wraith Max
Memory DDR4 4000 16x2GB
Video Card(s) RX 6900 XT
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500GB
Display(s) ASUS VG236H 120Hz
Case N/A
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software Win 10 x64
You also gotta win the binning "lottery" don't you?

As in, just how high is the quality of the CPU/SoC.

Lower quality, less overclock
Higher quality, higher overclock

Maybe this is why this particular sample clocked so high?

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64

No ones talking about a conspiracy you moron... :rolleyes: I am talking about limiting performance of a certain product to bring out another SKU based off the same design with greater performance, something AMD/Intel and NV do all the time...... :slap: nice troll attempt though :toast:

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
So why is this CPU able to hit nearly 5.9 GHz?
Because it's at -150c or less with 1.9+V... Ambient temps are very limiting, LN2 is a totally different ball game to water. Semiconductors become almost superconductive at such low temperatures which is why such high clock speeds are attainable.

You also gotta win the binning "lottery" don't you?

As in, just how high is the quality of the CPU/SoC.

Lower quality, less overclock
Higher quality, higher overclock

Maybe this is why this particular sample clocked so high?

That's part of it, you'd always want to start off with a good chip, but you could get a substantial overclock on even the worst chip with extreme low temperatures. :)

Disclaimer: I haven't had the pleasure of trying ln2 yet, this is all what I've learned from watching others and being interested.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
No ones talking about a conspiracy you moron... :rolleyes: I am talking about limiting performance of a certain product to bring out another SKU based off the same design with greater performance, something AMD/Intel and NV do all the time...... :slap: nice troll attempt though :toast:

If anything Nvidia proved with Pascal that they don't do it all the time, instead they upgrade products when the technology is ready to market. Examples in abundance: Nvidia GPUs clock over 500mhz higher than AMD's; Nvidia releases 11GBps memory on existing cards as it became available. The only thing both companies do is STALL a product launch to see what the other company puts out first. Ryzen is not like that, and Intel's Core is also not like that - Sandy Bridge could also clock to 5 Ghz for example.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95

Yea, they limited it to just run 6ghz on LN2... seriously? Ignoring the fact of LN2 use by a pro overclocker much got nothing to do with fantastical skus? smh

On topic, this is one hell of a feat to do this w/o disabling cores and SMT. Der8auer at it again! Whatever the case, Zen can do shit fully enabled!

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Yea, they limited it to just run 6ghz on LN2... seriously? Ignoring the fact of LN2 use by a pro overclocker much got nothing to do with fantastical skus? smh

On topic, this is one hell of a feat to do this w/o disabling cores and SMT. Der8auer at it again! Whatever the case, Zen can do shit fully enabled!
Where did I say you should be able to do 6ghz on air or water? They are obviously capable of a lot more than 4ghz before heat becomes an issue was my point....

System Name His - Hers - Guest - Guest - Guest
Processor 2700X - i7 5960x - i7 990x - 930 -i7 870 - i7 870
Motherboard MSI B450 ITX - Evga X99 - X58 - x58 - P55 FTW 200's
Memory 16GB - 8G
Video Card(s) Radeon VII - GTX770 x 3
Storage SSD
Display(s) 4K
Case Antec 1200, 1200, 900, 900
Power Supply Antec 1200 watt
Software Windows 7 Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Who cares
back in the C2D days almost all chips hit 4gz. This killed the higher end chip market for Intel. So why buy a high end chip when the cheaper one would hit the same OC.

Ryzen is limited to OC based on the internal thermal being set 20c higher then the chip is running stopping OC to 4.4-4.8Ghz. This leaves room to relese higher clocked chips later if they didn't do this everyone would buy a 1700 and OC to and beyond 1800x levels costing them profits. This is just a rumor but it makes sense also based on some facts.

I will try to find the engineering statement on the XFR senser stopping you from higher OC.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
back in the C2D days almost all chips hit 4gz. This killed the higher end chip market for Intel. So why buy a high end chip when the cheaper one would hit the same OC.

Ryzen is limited to OC based on the internal thermal being set 20c higher then the chip is running stopping OC to 4.4-4.8Ghz. This leaves room to relese higher clocked chips later if they didn't do this everyone would buy a 1700 and OC to and beyond 1800x levels costing them profits. This is just a rumor but it makes sense also based on some facts.

I will try to find the engineering statement on the XFR senser stopping you from higher OC.
With manual overclocking you're bypassing any temp sensor related limits. Short of throttling there is nothing holding the chip back. Sorry but your theory isn't correct.

You can't expect to entirely different cpu designs to clock the same, it just happens it's not far off, which is why people are getting caught up on this I think.. They could clock wildly differently and still perform the same and in that case you wouldn't be thinking along these lines.

Edit:

Someone above said that it wasn't thermals holding these chips back. Sure 60c at load isn't what we'd consider 'too hot', but it is in fact 'too hot to go faster than Xmhz at Xv'. If you drop the temperature 100c you'd be able to gain quite a lot more mhz, drop the temp another 100c and you might (if you're a good overclocker) end up near 5.9ghz. See what I mean? So on this particular architecture 4.1ish happens to be the limit at ambient temperature. No weird limiting trickery, just quirks of this design.

My 1800x can just about manage cinebench at 4.1ghz on a decent custom water loop... With the coolant chilled to 13c it completed a cinebench run at 4.17ghz... So there isn't an artificial limit, just the design at it's upper limit for ambient temperatures.

Last edited:
Processor Pentium II 400 @ 516MHz
Motherboard AOpen AX6BC EZ
Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Video Card(s) 2x Voodoo 12MB in SLI, S3 Trio64V+
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster 16
Software Windows 98 SE
The ignorance in this thread is rather shocking.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
How much would you pay to get a Ryzen running at this frequency, but on air? Right now? :)
That's a poll i'd like to see someday..
I bet you a lot of people outside the 'enthusiast' segment would be willing to part with serious amounts of money for this; myself included.

The ignorance in this thread is rather shocking.
Haven't you heard? Nerfing your product to make your competitor look better is the new craze, all the cool capitalistic corporations are doing it! Who needs market domination when you can look incompetent and be the underdog.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Despite having higher avg and min (99th percentile or whatever) 7700k has 100ms+ FPS hikes, unlike Ryzen in GTA5.
It would be major news, had it been vice versa: