1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6 GHz

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, Mar 17, 2017.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Arguably the most important product launch for AMD as a processor company, Ryzen 7 1800X is an attempt to get back into the big league with the Intel Core i7 series in what is a textbook David vs. Goliath battle. Besides CPU tests, we also included 14 games tested at 1080p and 1440p.

To read this review go to: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_1800X/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. The Quim Reaper

The Quim Reaper

Thanks Received:
    Superb chips for productivity tasks, good enough for gaming.

The only thing putting me off right now is the buggy ecosystem that is supporting them and the fact they're such poor overclockers.

I was really hoping they would at least get to 4.3Ghz but alas that looks like we'll have to wait for the first refresh of Ryzen in 2018 before overclocking headroom improves.

3. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Was worth the wait for this review.

Dethroy, nem.. and HD64G say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. IceScreamer

IceScreamer

Thanks Received:
    Man, gaming performance aside this is a great CPU. I mean I'm blown away by the power consumption.

When they iron out the annoyances this will be a great platform.

Daimus, dalekdukesboy, Dethroy and 4 others say thanks.
  5. Joss

Joss

Thanks Received:
    This chip is more than "good enough" for gaming, as many put it, it's very good.
    With the upcoming mobo tweaks and RAM issues solved I can imagine a 1600x rig by my desk side for years to come.

Daimus, Lionheart, Dethroy and 7 others say thanks.
  6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Well I've bought into the Ryzen ecosystem for one reason.

If I buy a KL chip now, it'll be superseded soon enough by another Intel chip so in 3 years time there will have been like 5 Intel high end chips out. Anyway, at 1440p with max settings on everything and new 1080ti, the 1700X I've gone for should be better then my Sandy-E. And if Bethesda go full AMD optimised, maybe it's not so much a gamble for me.

springs113, Daimus, axis007 and 3 others say thanks.
  7. Jhelms

Jhelms

Thanks Received:
    Appreciate the review - a TON of work went into this clearly and it well defines the current state of Ryzen. I like how you more focus on the raw data and present it as such. I feel the 1800x is simply not a bargain. The 1700 non X is quite a beast for the cash and AMD will have my money here soon :) Very impressed with what they have done, in the time they have done it with the budget and manpower the company has.

8. ssdpro

ssdpro

Thanks Received:
    Good review consistent with other reviews. Probably a bit better since not rushed and things have settled some. Even setting aside whatever happened with the gaming performance, it is a great value. I like to think of it as more of a balance. The problem remains if you are a gamer, and already have a 6700/7700k, you won't enhance anything with these. You might push specific niche tasks better and maintain reasonable gaming performance. The problem is these niche areas are just not something mainstream or even most enthusiasts take part in. Time will tell if this does any actual disruption. The market says it isn't and the stock continues lower since launch.

Prima.Vera and Dethroy say thanks.
  9. geon2k2

Thanks Received:
    Can you please disable 4 cores/1 CCX, just to see what would the gaming performance look like?

I'm particularly interested for titles in which the i7 crashed the r7, and are reasonably popular such as Fallout 4, Hitman or Total War Warhammer.
    In Batman Zen is also behind, but still manages 140 fps ... so that's not much of an issue.

Thank you in advance.

spooh says thanks.
  10. mcraygsx

mcraygsx

Thanks Received:
    Ryzen 1800X is not in same league as mainstream 7700K. Why not compare this product to Broadwell-E series instead. Fantastic review as always W1zzzard. Neat.

11. Sempron Guy

Sempron Guy

Thanks Received:
    hitman, total warhammer and rise of the tomb raider tested under dx11 or 12? same question with Doom, if it's opengl or vulkan?

nemesis.ie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    Great review @W1zzard ! :D

But I wonder, with power consumption in gaming performance lower, if AMD deliberately used a hard limit there. If they did, that would explain lower gaming performance across the board.

13. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hitman, TW, and RoTR are DX12 and Doom Vulkan, yes.

nemesis.ie, nem.., Dethroy and 2 others say thanks.
  14. Evo85

Evo85

Thanks Received:
    Not sure why lack of integrated graphics is a negative here. If you want that, you buy an APU chip.

Fx, medi01, nemesis.ie and 5 others say thanks.
  15. dat_boi New Member

Thanks Received:
    What a shame, maybe another time AMD.

16. Ubersonic

Thanks Received:
    Within a few % of the 7700K in games, half the price of an Intel octocore, me likey.

nemesis.ie, Lionheart, Dethroy and 5 others say thanks.
  17. P4-630

P4-630 The Way It's Meant to be Played

Thanks Received:
    Not all that impressive for gaming, you're still better off with a i7 7700K for gaming.
    It's power usage is impressive for a 16 thread AMD chip compared to their older chips and Intel.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Enterprise24

Thanks Received:
    Impressive review. I hope that their 4 cores variant could achieve higher clock like 4.5Ghz+ for better gaming performance. :)

19. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    As usual Great review W1z!!

For some of us here who still uses the 8350 (or similar), would have been bit more helpful to see what kind of performance jump the Ryzen gives.

:toast:

Foxiol and Dethroy say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. ZoneDymo

ZoneDymo

Thanks Received:
    I want one :(
    I want to put it to work compressing the crap out of my livestream

21. Drac

Drac

Thanks Received:
    Im wondering what would be the numbers with memory at 3000 mhz CL15 instead of 2666 mhz at CL16

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. Shatun_Bear

Thanks Received:
    Hardly.

The low score was predictable after AMD stopped sending TPU first-round review samples.

It seems anything Nvida = 9.7-9.9 score, anything AMD as low as 8.7. Really transparent bias.

Camm, Daimus and saikamaldoss say thanks.
  23. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    DX12 / Vulkan

It's a first-round sample. I just didn't have time.

I wanted to inform you personally that Ryzen isn't for you, due to lack of IGP. No man, you can't plug anything into the monitor outputs on the Ryzen motherboards! Ryzen APUs are coming out in H2. For the majority of people this is a non-issue, that's why it wasn't mentioned in the conclusion text.

R-T-B, n-ster, OneCool and 4 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. dat_boi New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's funny how many times hardware reviewers get accused of being anti-AMD, while they are doing their damnedest to paint its products favorably as if their livelihood depended on it, because it does.

FilipM says thanks.
  25. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    This is what annoys the crap out of me(Intel is guilty too). Why change the mounting hole layout so we have to buy(or the heatsink manufacturers have to give away at a loss) new retention brackets? Did Intel really need to make the holes on the 115X platform ever so slightly larger than the 775? Did AMD really need to do the same between AM3+/FM2+ and AM4? And it makes even less sense that AMD wouldn't take the opportunity to make their mounting holes square, and they should have actually just matched the already in use Intel spacing. Make it easier for all of us!

It is the classic fanboy problem. If you speak ill of a product by the fanboy's chosen brand, you are instantly bias. The reality is the reviewer just feels the product isn't as good as the competition that scores higher. Right now AMD is still behind both Intel and nVidia in terms of overall product quality, so their scores in reviews reflect that. They are a lot closer than they were last year, that is for sure, but not quite to the point of being equal or better. Of course, I'm sure I'll get "well Ryzen is better than Intel in XYZ area, or Ryzen is cheaper than one single Intel processor so Ryzen should have better scores" or "AMD GPUs are better than nVidia if you look at a few specific games". Well, yes, if you look at a few specific areas, AMD is better, but if you look overall they are not.

People saying W1zzard is Bias need to review their history. This site started largely as an ATI resource. W1zzard has gone so far as to hide an easter egg in an nVidia review that said "epic fail" because the card was so bad. And I believe an nVidia card still holds the crown for the lowest score ever received in a review here.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    R-T-B, Batou1986, Dethroy and 4 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD