• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6 GHz

An excellent review and a great fanboyism free conclusion. Thank you, @W1zzard

Several missing pieces though:
  • You haven't mentioned whether Ryzen is worth the upgrade money (and it's a lot since you have to buy a new motherboard and RAM) for the owners of Intel Core it 2500/3770 CPUs who game at 1080p using average GPUs (GTX 970/1060/RX 470/480)
  • Do you think memory support will improve or not in this generation?
  • You've complimented AMD for creating this beast of a CPU architecture however from what I see IPC (even though it's 52% higher than Bulldozer's) is not really there - do you think AMD can actually overturn Intel with IPC performance in Zen 2.0 which was already announced?
A lingering issue is a relatively slow communication between CCX complexes which kills the performance of the applications whose threads need to talk to one another - this issue doesn't affect rendering/encoding but it affects certain games and workflows. So, at least for me Zen 1.0 is a nice try and I truly appreciate what AMD has managed to achieve, but I'll be waiting for Coffee Lake (the first hexacore consumer CPU from Intel)/Zen 2.0.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Wowzers, only a couple of those tests actually use the cores.

idx

Great review W1zz!

What is really interesting about this cpu is that if you disable one CCX and do a lil OC, it will perform better in most of these buggy games (everyone is considering it as a legit performance measure ... sadly).
In plus, it will still beat the i7 7700k in some of the other tests.

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
Would Zen be a good upgrade path from 2600k, i dont see a whole much comparison.

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
why not compare 1800x and at least 6850k?

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
This is what annoys the crap out of me(Intel is guilty too). Why change the mounting hole layout so we have to buy(or the heatsink manufacturers have to give away at a loss) new retention brackets? Did Intel really need to make the holes on the 115X platform ever so slightly larger than the 775? Did AMD really need to do the same between AM3+/FM2+ and AM4? And it makes even less sense that AMD wouldn't take the opportunity to make their mounting holes square, and they should have actually just matched the already in use Intel spacing. Make it easier for all of us!

It is the classic fanboy problem. If you speak ill of a product by the fanboy's chosen brand, you are instantly bias. The reality is the reviewer just feels the product isn't as good as the competition that scores higher. Right now AMD is still behind both Intel and nVidia in terms of overall product quality, so their scores in reviews reflect that. They are a lot closer than they were last year, that is for sure, but not quite to the point of being equal or better. Of course, I'm sure I'll get "well Ryzen is better than Intel in XYZ area, or Ryzen is cheaper than one single Intel processor so Ryzen should have better scores" or "AMD GPUs are better than nVidia if you look at a few specific games". Well, yes, if you look at a few specific areas, AMD is better, but if you look overall they are not.

People saying W1zzard is Bias need to review their history. This site started largely as an ATI resource. W1zzard has gone so far as to hide an easter egg in an nVidia review that said "epic fail" because the card was so bad. And I believe an nVidia card still holds the crown for the lowest score ever received in a review here.

Just going to name a few stuff i seen from several years ago:

* Thumbs Down to AMD GPU's for not supporting PhysX back in the day. nVidia GPU's never got a Thumbs Down for not supporting MANTLE or FreeSync

* Thumbs Down to AMD GPU's for Supporting DX11 claiming it will not be relevant for a while, yet when nVidia released Fermi they get a Thumbs up for "Substantial performance improvements in DirectX11". (Fermi at least got lower scores than HD5000 series in the end)

* Not benchmarking MANTLE which did brought final Performance in several games, claiming nVidia did not supported the API and that only a few games used it. But heck, if you're a review site you should review every single feature of a card, if not adding to the final score, at least leave it there for reference.

* Very very late Benchmarks for DX12/Vulkan claiming DX12 was unstable and not reliable. This was back when AMD was stomping nVidia to the floor with early DX12 games.

* When finally started benchmarking DX12/Vulkan the RX480 got left out of the list, putting the RX470 against both GTX1060 (3GB and 6GB).

* Wizz making fun of Ryzen at release in Facebook, going back and forth changing the title.

Those are just a few of the things i noticed in the past. I only owned 1 Radeon GPU which was the HD5770 and sold it like a year later, not because it was bad and actually worked fine with no issues at all. Sold it because i was offered a GTX470 which was almost twice as powerful. Then bought a GTX780TI. Prior to my HD5770 i owned a 8800GT, 7600GT and 5200FX which was my very first one. Hardware side i preffer nVidia, but i preffer AMD ethics since nVidia sometimes really act like a D*ck.

Lately i noticed that TPU has not been reviewing some AMD hardware, as they claim they did not provide or got their review hardware late. But if i were AMD i would totally not send them any more hardware Lol.

I really like AMD and i want them to succeed to keep both Intel and nVidia prices in check, lately it has not been the case but i don't want to see them go. I plan to support them with VEGA IF it offers GTX1080 performance for less cash.

Anyway TPU it is what is and i check every review they do from any brand, but when it's AMD i always expect a 8 - 8.5 from TPU.

I hope i don't get banned for this.

Last edited:
System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
There will be more CPU reviews from me though :) Just bought i5 7400, i3 7100, Pentium G4560.
Would you please add the i3-7350K to that list?.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

* Thumbs Down to AMD GPU's for not supporting PhysX back in the day. nVidia GPU's never got a Thumbs Down for not supporting MANTLE or FreeSync

* Thumbs Down to AMD GPU's for Supporting DX11 claiming it will not be relevant for a while, yet when nVidia released Fermi they get a Thumbs up for "Substantial performance improvements in DirectX11". (Fermi at least got lower scores than HD5000 series in the end)

* Not benchmarking MANTLE which did brought final Performance in several games, claiming nVidia did not supported the API and that only a few games used it. But heck, if you're a review site you should review every single feature of a card, if not adding to the final score, at least leave it there for reference.

* Very very late Benchmarks for DX12/Vulkan claiming DX12 was unstable and not reliable. This was back when AMD was stomping nVidia to the floor with early DX12 games.

* When finally started benchmarking DX12/Vulkan the RX480 got left out of the list, putting the RX470 against both GTX1060 (3GB and 6GB).

* Wizz making fun of Ryzen at release in Facebook, going back and forth changing the title.

Those are just a few of the things i noticed in the past. I only owned 1 Radeon GPU which was the HD5770 and sold it like a year later, not because it was bad and actually worked fine with no issues at all. Sold it because i was offered a GTX470 which was almost twice as powerful. Then bought a GTX780TI. Prior to my HD5770 i owned a 8800GT, 7600GT and 5200FX which was my very first one. Hardware side i preffer nVidia, but i preffer AMD ethics since nVidia sometimes really act like a D*ck.

Lately i noticed that TPU has not been reviewing some AMD hardware, as they claim AMD did not provide or sometimes they got their review hardware late. But if i were AMD i would totally not send them any more hardware Lol.

I really like AMD and i want them to succeed to keep both Intel and nVidia prices in check, lately it has not been the case but i don't want to see them go. I plan to support them with VEGA IF it offers GTX1080 performance for less cash.

Anyway TPU it is what is and i check every review they do from any brand, but when it's AMD i always expect a 8 - 8.5 from TPU.

I hope i don't get banned for this.

Pretty sharp observation. Just went back to read some of the old reviews done by W1zzard, what you said are all true.

Welp as critical thinkers it should not be that hard for people to connect dots and figuring out trends now.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
I pressed 'thanks' before reading it.

When you get an 8c/16t for a review, you should compare it to another 8c/16t if they are available; and they have been for some time now. And you must do so by i) over/underclocking until both have same freqs, run the exact same RAM, at the exact same freqs and timings, ii) pinpointing the performance difference if all was left at a default stock. Then and only then do you bother with 'unfair' comparisons between different lines [8c vs 4c and so on]. And should you go down that route, one would expect the wording to specify how problematic (hint!!!) such comparisons are.
While i have no doubt Wizzard's technical knowledge far surpasses even my wildest dreams, his way of thinking and mentality is highly problematic; for a reviewer mind.

Man, was that not a let down. Page after page about where it's all heading, what with an entire damn market comparing apples to oranges and calling the outcome of such comparisons an 'educated' opinion !!! And yet, here we are, lol

Removed my thanks, expressed my disappointment and politely moving on.
What-Ever. Like seriously.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Thumbs Down to AMD GPU's for not supporting PhysX back in the day. nVidia GPU's never got a Thumbs Down for not supporting MANTLE or FreeSync

PhysX added elements to the game that AMD had no alternative to. Mantle was just an alternate rendering path with the only real benefit being to improve performance on AMD GPUs, while nVidia GPUs were already outperforming AMD so mantle wasn't necessary for them.

And since nVidia offers a competing solution to FreeSync, again it isn't a con. You just have to pick which of the two technologies you want. If it had no alternative to FreeSync, then it would be a con. I don't believe "No Gsync support" was ever a con(except for maybe for a brief time after nVidia came out with Gsync before AMD scrambled to rebrand someone else's technology as their own so they would have an alternative).

Thumbs Down to AMD GPU's for Supporting DX11 claiming it will not be relevant for a while, yet when nVidia released Fermi they get a Thumbs up for "Substantial performance improvements in DirectX11". (Fermi at least got lower scores than HD5000 series in the end)

You know, in the GTX480 review, "DirectX 11 won't be relevant for quite a while" is listed as a con, right? Same thing in the GTX470 and the GTX460 So it seems kind of idiotic to say they are biased because they put that in AMD reviews when it is in nVidia reviews too. But yes, it is a pro that the nVidia GPUs were significantly more capable at DX11 too. That isn't bias, that is just the facts.

Not benchmarking MANTLE which did brought final Performance in several games, claiming nVidia did not supported the API and that only a few games used it. But heck, if you're a review site you should review every single feature of a card, if not adding to the final score, at least leave it there for reference.

Yeah, and how relevant did Mantle end up becoming? The total number of games that used it ended up being like 12... Seems the decision to not waste time with it was a good one. And really, it shouldn't have been a concern for people buying the card either, because it ended up to not matter. And if someone did buy the card becuase they hoped Mantle would be the next big thing, they ended up pretty disappointed.

Very very late Benchmarks for DX12/Vulkan claiming DX12 was unstable and not reliable. This was back when AMD was stomping nVidia to the floor with early DX12 games.

By "games" you mean single game right. Because Ashes of Singularity was about the only game using DX12 at that time...

When finally started benchmarking DX12/Vulkan the RX480 got left out of the list, putting the RX470 against both GTX1060 (3GB and 6GB).

And which review are you talking about. Because I just went through every single GTX1060 review, and every single one had the RX 480 in it.

Wizz making fun of Ryzen at release in Facebook, going back and forth changing the title.

He's made fun of nVidia plenty in the past. I even mentioned it already.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE
Display(s) ASUS PG43UQ
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 7

* Mantle is explicit for AMD GPUs where the software API matches the HW interface exposed by the AMD GPU. Wanting NVIDIA to support that is non-sense. Similar to Glide back in the day from 3DFX.
* PhysX was not started by NVIDIA and it also had a CPU fall-back code-path.
* FreeSync in my book is a rip off of G-Sync. NVIDIA invested in the RnD, proved the concept, obviously they want the feature to be a premium. And it is.

In general, AMD fanboys keep on bashing NVIDIA for not seeing gains from DX12. As if that matters - DX12 doesn't make your games prettier, it's a power move by M$/AMD. NVIDIA invests in game works, physx, gsync to make gaming and graphics better, gets accused for being evil. WTF?

System Name Off-Brand PC System
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard X399
Cooling Wraithripper
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Benchmark Scores Less than Intel and Nvidia
More power efficient than Intel. Did AMD sell their soul to the devil!?

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
PhysX added elements to the game that AMD had no alternative to. Mantle was just an alternate rendering path with the only real benefit being to improve performance on AMD GPUs, while nVidia GPUs were already outperforming AMD so mantle wasn't necessary for them.

And since nVidia offers a competing solution to FreeSync, again it isn't a con. You just have to pick which of the two technologies you want. If it had no alternative to FreeSync, then it would be a con. I don't believe "No Gsync support" was ever a con(except for maybe for a brief time after nVidia came out with Gsync before AMD scrambled to rebrand someone else's technology as their own so they would have an alternative).

You know, in the GTX480 review, "DirectX 11 won't be relevant for quite a while" is listed as a con, right? Same thing in the GTX470 and the GTX460 So it seems kind of idiotic to say they are biased because they put that in AMD reviews when it is in nVidia reviews too. But yes, it is a pro that the nVidia GPUs were significantly more capable at DX11 too. That isn't bias, that is just the facts.

No, just no.

The HD5870 was cooler with less TDP than the GTX480. The only reason why the 480 won was because it's frequency speed was pushed way too high to beat the 5870 which had been out for more than 6 moths. It is idiotic to say that the 480 had superior DX11 performance. You also missed the point of the MANTLE/PhysX. Yes one of them is an API and the other is a middleware, but you can't really blame nVidia for not supporting MANTLE, but it seems it is ok to blame AMD for not supporting PhysX. What sort of mentality is this?

I pressed 'thanks' before reading it.

When you get an 8c/16t for a review, you should compare it to another 8c/16t if they are available; and they have been for some time now. And you must do so by i) over/underclocking until both have same freqs, run the exact same RAM, at the exact same freqs and timings, ii) pinpointing the performance difference if all was left at a default stock. Then and only then do you bother with 'unfair' comparisons between different lines [8c vs 4c and so on]. And should you go down that route, one would expect the wording to specify how problematic (hint!!!) such comparisons are.
While i have no doubt Wizzard's technical knowledge far surpasses even my wildest dreams, his way of thinking and mentality is highly problematic; for a reviewer mind.

Man, was that not a let down. Page after page about where it's all heading, what with an entire damn market comparing apples to oranges and calling the outcome of such comparisons an 'educated' opinion !!! And yet, here we are, lol

Removed my thanks, expressed my disappointment and politely moving on.
What-Ever. Like seriously.

This is what I said, but no justification from W1zzard on why he only compared to a 7700K. That's completely not the CPU this should be compared with - it's on a hiding to nothing as well with all these tests in this review that prefer frequency over cores (which is strange again).

Sure, throw a 7700K in there, but at least alongside a 6900K as well for comparison.

The most recent one was perhaps the most telling -

At the 480/1060 launches, the cards were benched with a really, really old suite of games featuring stuff like BF3 AND BF4 and no DX12/Vulkan titles. Then the conclusion was formed from the performance summary that the 1060 was quite significantly faster than the 480 because it was quite a lot faster in these old DX11 titles W1zzard benched with. Bizarrely, just after both cards had been reviewed (and opinions formed from the reviews by TPU readers) he updated his bench suite with lots of newer games and DOOM Vulkan/DX12 games. (and lo and behold, the 480 is neck-and-neck with the 1060 for the most part). But it was too late then. Surely with a huge twin videocard release, you would have updated your test suite before release, not a couple weeks afterwards.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
* Mantle is explicit for AMD GPUs where the software API matches the HW interface exposed by the AMD GPU. Wanting NVIDIA to support that is non-sense. Similar to Glide back in the day from 3DFX.
* PhysX was not started by NVIDIA and it also had a CPU fall-back code-path.
* FreeSync in my book is a rip off of G-Sync. NVIDIA invested in the RnD, proved the concept, obviously they want the feature to be a premium. And it is.

In general, AMD fanboys keep on bashing NVIDIA for not seeing gains from DX12. As if that matters - DX12 doesn't make your games prettier, it's a power move by M$/AMD. NVIDIA invests in game works, physx, gsync to make gaming and graphics better, gets accused for being evil. WTF?

* AMD offered MANTLE to nVidia, they said no.

* nVidia never offered PhysX to AMD

* Who cares.

I'm neither Red or Green Team. I use whatever fits my needs at the time, which had happen more often nVidia for me.

This is what I said, but no justification from W1zzard on why he only compared to a 7700K. That's completely not the CPU this should be compared with - it's on a hiding to nothing as well with all these tests that prefer frequency.

Sure, throw a 7700K in there, but at least alongside a 6900K as well for comparison.

The most recent one was perhaps the most telling -

At the 480/1060 launches, the cards were benched with a really, really old suite of games featuring stuff like BF3 AND BF4 and no DX12/Vulkan titles. Then the conclusion was formed from the performance summary that the 1060 was quite significantly faster than the 480 because it was quite a lot faster in these old DX11 titles W1zzard benched with. Bizarrely, just after both cards had been reviewed (and opinions formed from the reviews by TPU readers) he updated his bench suite with lots of newer games and DOOM Vulkan/DX12 games. (and lo and behold, the 480 is neck-and-neck with the 1060 for the most part). But it was too late then. Surely with a huge twin videocard release, you would have updated your test suite before release, not a couple weeks afterwards.

Tell this to the fanboys above. How dare AMD not support PhysX Software, but why should nVidia support AMD API Software crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
No, just no.

The HD5870 was cooler with less TDP than the GTX480. The only reason why the 480 won was because it's frequency speed was pushed way too high to beat the 5870 which had been out for more than 6 moths. It is idiotic to say that the 480 had superior DX11 performance. You also missed the point of the MANTLE/PhysX. Yes one of them is an API and the other is a middleware, but you can't really blame nVidia for not supporting MANTLE, but it seems it is ok to blame AMD for not supporting PhysX. What sort of mentality is this?

Bias, ain't it clear? I thought you have already named it!

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
Bias, ain't it clear? I thought you have already named it!

I'm just here for the Lulz. I already know what to expect from TPU. Intel, nVidia, AMD... whatever, I love them all equally. But sometimes nVidia d*ckness is what gets on my nerves. Intel has behave quite good for the last decade though.

Right on the money, this is my first CPU review. Which means selecting and figuring out benchmarks, then building test systems with the hardware that's available, then bench (not exactly few results), then think, fix bench suite, rebench everything (two times for this review), then come up with structure, layout, texts, conclusion.

There will be more CPU reviews from me though :) Just bought i5 7400, i3 7100, Pentium G4560.

Could you please also test stock CPU cooler performance (temp) and noise? (if provided)
Also, would it be possible to measure power consumption of the CPU like you do with the GPUs?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The HD5870 was cooler with less TDP than the GTX480. The only reason why the 480 won was because it's frequency speed was pushed way too high to beat the 5870 which had been out for more than 6 moths. It is idiotic to say that the 480 had superior DX11 performance.

The GTX480 was on a different performance level to the 5870 in DX11. In DX11 the GTX480 had a good 30% lead over the 5870. So, no, it is not idiotic to say the GTX480 had superior DX11 performance. It is the fact to say it had superior DX11 performance. It had massively superior DX11 performance. In the first GTX480 review, in Metro 2033, one of the few DX11 games tested, the HD5870 scored 0.6FPS in the highest resolution test while the GTX480 scored 18.1FPS! In the next lowest resolution the 5870 scored 18.9FPS while the GTX480 was getting a solid 31.3FPS.

You listed a bunch of other reasons that the GTX480 ended up getting a bad score, but none of them are reasons why the better DX11 performance shouldn't be a positive bullet point for the GTX480. Remember, the HD5870 scored a 9.5, the GTX480 only got 8.2.

You also missed the point of the MANTLE/PhysX. Yes one of them is an API and the other is a middleware, but you can't really blame nVidia for not supporting MANTLE, but it seems it is ok to blame AMD for not supporting PhysX. What sort of mentality is this?

Actually, no I didn't, I addressed it. AMD has no alternative to PhysX. However, nVidia had an alternative to Mantle, its called DX11 and DX10, and DX9, and their cards performed just fine using those alternative APIs.

AMD offered MANTLE to nVidia, they said no.

NVidia didn't need it. Their cards were already beating AMD cards with the APIs already on the market. Mantle was a performance improving API that really only improved performance for AMD cards. Supporting Mantle would have only made it go main stream, and that would have only resulted in AMD closing the performance gap. Why would nVidia bother doing this?

nVidia never offered PhysX to AMD

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/82264-why-wont-ati-support-cuda-and-physx

The real fact is that nVidia was happy to let AMD/ATI use and support PhysX and CUDA. AMD/ATI just didn't want to write their drivers to do it.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE
Display(s) ASUS PG43UQ
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 7
System Name Poke
Processor i7-7700K OC 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 280
Memory G.skill TridentZ DDR4 16GB 2X8GB kit 3600 Mhz XMP
Video Card(s) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080TI FE
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB SSD / Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB HDD
Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144 Hz
Case NZXT H440 Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark
Software Win 10 Home x64
So then why is this being compared against a 7700K and nothing else? Last I checked TPU wasn't a 'gaming' website but a 'hardware' website. AMD didn't compare it to a 7700K for a reason. It is a HEDT competitor - so at least put the 6900K, 6950K or a 6800K in there.

But you said this:

So with a review over 2 weeks after launch, I take it AMD is pretty low down in your estimations?

Yet the Nvidia 1080 Ti gets reviewed a day before it launches.
One of the reasons was the troubled platform in order to make it work, memory issues etc, Wiz said that, reviewers have had a very hard time reviewing this CPU, the issues with it makes some people leave the review unfinished.

Melmac

sorry, long time lurker, but had to sign up to reply to this. Nvidia were first to bring sync to the market, because they wanted their own solution that tied people into their cards. But, AMD were first to come up with the idea. They went the open source route and had to apply to VESA to get the specs of Display port changed to allow adaptive sync to work.

And what's this BS about Dx12 been a power move by M$ and AMD? Do you not remember that presentation by Nvidia and Microsoft and they said that they had been working for 4 years together on Dx12. Where they claimed that they had much better support for Dx12 than AMD.

I am not sure about Nvidia been evil but they are just out for themselves. They invested in Gsync knowing that AMD were pushing for adaptive sync which is an open source solution that anybody can use. 3D, PhysX, Gsync have all been things that have tied people to their brand.