• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
We're using gameplay, not the benchmark. I also vaguely remember that SOTTR received a patch and suddenly performance improved A LOT for Ryzens, maybe they didn't install that patch.

It seems unlikely that so many Ryzens beating Intel is due to a measurement error/random event

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
We're using gameplay, not the benchmark. I also vaguely remember that SOTTR received a patch and suddenly performance improved A LOT for Ryzens, maybe they didn't install that patch.

It seems unlikely that so many Ryzens beating Intel is due to a measurement error/random event
I'm not doubting your finding with tomb raider but several sites did have the 9700k outperforming the 3700x on benchmarks. I can't recall seeing a game have such a drastic difference between benchmark results and gameplay

kit guru has a large gap between CPUs

forbes (their reviewer also reviews for bit-tech) had the 9700k about 8% ahead of the ryzen 3700x (but close to 18% increase on 99th%)

Magistar

Any guess as to why it would outperform in the first place? AFAIK IPC is similar between AMD and Intel and so I see no logical reason how a 4.25 Ghz fixed 3700X with 8c/16t would beat a 9900K that is probably running at x46+ with an identical core/thread count.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Any guess as to why it would outperform in the first place? AFAIK IPC is similar between AMD and Intel and so I see no logical reason how a 4.25 Ghz fixed 3700X with 8c/16t would beat a 9900K that is probably running at x46+ with an identical core/thread count.

Average IPC is "similar" perhaps, but not the same. Also keep in mind that IPC isn't a static number. A processor doesn't have a single IPC number, that's a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept. It depends on what you're doing and what program you're running.