• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
@ W1zzard Will you ever visit RTX 3090 SLI and/or DX12 mGPU ? to compare 10900K and 5950x ?
when not graphics bottlenecked....
SLI is dead, NVIDIA disabled implicit SLI (the SLI you're thinking of). It will no longer work in nearly all games.

This may be getting picky, but for strategy I would like to see one of the following: TW: Any current release, Cities (sim I know but still in the genre), or Ashes of Singularity.
Umm I don't think anyone actually plays Ashes of the Singularity. It's only used as benchmark. I still feel like Civ the better choice of all those?

Processor Core i5 4460
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Memory 1x 8GB DDR3 @ 900Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1660 6GB OC
Storage Patriot Blast 240GB SSD; Caviar Black 500 GB; Caviar Green 1 TB
Display(s) Dell U2311H (23'' IPS)
Power Supply FSP Hyper 700
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
For the 2021 CPU bench I'll definitely think about other games. But if you had to pick 1 strategy game, wouldn't it be Civ?
As much as I like Civ games, I don't think FPS is that important in turn-based games... so a real time strategy game would probably be more appropriate (IMO)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
As much as I like Civ games, I don't think FPS is that important in turn-based games... so a real time strategy game would probably be more appropriate (IMO)
That is a great point, but strategy games load the CPU in ways other than typical games, note how multi-core processors do much better here

Processor 2700x
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080Ti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W Titanium
MT Energy Efficiency so insane. Very ideal for a quiet homeserver build. If Asrock pulls Asrock thing and allows X370 to take 5000 series I may consider it for my homeserver upgrade.

Great review.
But i disagree when you state High price as negative. For this number of cores and potential its excellent deal

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Great review.
But i disagree when you state High price as negative. For this number of cores and potential its excellent deal
What's your math for this? Mine is here https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5950x/images/performance-per-dollar.png

Now of course if you charge $200 per hour to your clients to get something done, then a faster PC will mean less cost that could quickly make it worth it

why is the temperature on 5800x is in high 70`s and this one is in high 50`s?
5800X is one CCD, so all heat is concentrated on one die, on 5900X it's split between two CCDs

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
As good as the review is as usual, without the 3950X in there is just incomplete data. Don't mean to be picky here, but people like me with a 3950X are the most likely to consider a 5950X upgrade.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
As good as the review is as usual, without the 3950X in there is just incomplete data. Don't mean to be picky here, but people like me with a 3950X are the most likely to consider a 5950X upgrade.
Unfortunately AMD never sent me a 3950X for review and not worth buying one now that it's obsolete

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
SLI is dead, NVIDIA disabled implicit SLI (the SLI you're thinking of). It will no longer work in nearly all games.

Umm I don't think anyone actually plays Ashes of the Singularity. It's only used as benchmark. I still feel like Civ the better choice of all those?

If you're going to base your rig around what people are buying and playing you might was well not use any of the top end cpu's or gpu's and just build a bench rig that based on performance pre dollar, with game bundles.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

w1zzard that 5950x is one of the sucky ones you got one that's about second to last in over clocking it seems. being 4.3-4.4ghz is the worst clocking ones while the better ones will hit 4.6-4.7ghz
Zen 3 has huge variations on cpu's. Even de8auer said some chips on cold don't like below -60 and other will got -196C crazy how big a difference some chips have

Prometeia

They are both same TDP, so don't expect any significant differences in thermals

I've been reading techpowerup for many years, and this is the first time I'm so disappointed with the reviews of the Ryzen 5000 series.
No one seems to want to read the data, otherwise you would have noticed some obvious errors.
It's seems like a sponsored review, because there are too many errors in the precess and data.

If you want to test a CPU, you must use tests that highlight the CPU bottleneck, not the ones in wich it's obvious that the GPU is the bottleneck.
You said that 2080Ti and Ultra details it's the best case scenario to replicate the most common use of the CPU.
But it's WRONG! You are TESTING A CPU, not a system.
If you want to test a CPU you have to avoid GPU bottleneck, so use the best GPU on the market like 3080 or 3090, like all the other best reviewers on the web.
The RAM speed/latency and number of modules are not the problem, because they tested that both brands (Intel and AMD) reach better perfomance.

If you see in your CPU test that a slower or older CPU reach better performance than the newer models...maybe you are doing it wrong.
How it's even possible that a i9 10900K, a CPU with 10 core (14nm), 5GHz, and tdp of over 200W can reach lower temps in a stress test than a Ryzen 5600X with 6 core (7nm), 4,6GHz, tdp 65W?!
C'mon! We are not stupid, and the rest of the tech reviewers are telling us the opposite!
I'm a fan of PC world and I immediately noticed that something was wrong on your chart, I wonder how a professional in this field with a lot of years of experience like you can't see the same...

Like A.Einstein said: "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
If you test a CPU without focusing on actual CPU performance, you are doing a useless job.

You are an important tech site, you have to delete all the wrong reviews and remake a totally update version with all the benchmarks corrected.
power-comparison.png

I've been reading techpowerup for many years, and this is the first time I'm so disappointed with the reviews of the Ryzen 5000 series.
No one seems to want to read the data, otherwise you would have noticed some obvious errors.
It's seems like a sponsored review, because there are too many errors in the precess and data.

If you want to test a CPU, you must use tests that highlight the CPU bottleneck, not the ones in wich it's obvious that the GPU is the bottleneck.
You said that 2080Ti and Ultra details it's the best case scenario to replicate the most common use of the CPU.
But it's WRONG! You are TESTING A CPU, not a system.
If you want to test a CPU you have to avoid GPU bottleneck, so use the best GPU on the market like 3080 or 3090, like all the other best reviewers on the web.
The RAM speed/latency and number of modules are not the problem, because they tested that both brands (Intel and AMD) reach better perfomance.

If you see in your CPU test that a slower or older CPU reach better performance than the newer models...maybe you are doing it wrong.
How it's even possible that a i9 10900K, a CPU with 10 core (14nm), 5GHz, and tdp of over 200W can reach lower temps in a stress test than a Ryzen 5600X with 6 core (7nm), 4,6GHz, tdp 65W?!
C'mon! We are not stupid, and the rest of the tech reviewers are telling us the opposite!
I'm a fan of PC world and I immediately noticed that something was wrong on your chart, I wonder how a professional in this field with a lot of years of experience like you can't see the same...

Like A.Einstein said: "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
If you test a CPU without focusing on actual CPU performance, you are doing a useless job.

You are an important tech site, you have to delete all the wrong reviews and remake a totally update version with all the benchmarks corrected.
View attachment 176121

Small die area = hot spot. Hot spot does not equal total heat output (watts). It's the same reason you can burn your finger, yet not turn your immediate environment into a flaming inferno when you flick a lighter on.

5600X will run hot at the die, but not pull a lot of power. 10900k can run cooler at the die sensor, but pull a ton of juice. Both wattage values are well within the dissipation abilities of a basic 240mm AIO.

System Name Yes
Processor i7 10700K
Motherboard AORUS Z490 Elite AC
Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280 (top) + 2xNF-A14 (front) + BioniX F120 (rear)
Memory 2x16GB Trident Z 3600MHz CL17
Video Card(s) AORUS RX 6800 XT MASTER
Storage Crucial MX500 + WD Caviar Blue
Display(s) AORUS FI27Q-X@240Hz
Case Cougar Panzer-s
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing VS 2521
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Scimitar Elite + MM350 Champion
Keyboard K95 Platinum XT Cherry® MX Speed
Software Windows 10 Home (21H2)
Benchmark Scores Yes
You have to stop being so ignorant.

Prometeia

Small die area = hot spot. Hot spot does not equal total heat output (watts). It's the same reason you can burn your finger, yet not turn your immediate environment into a flaming inferno when you flick a lighter on.

5600X will run hot at the die, but not pull a lot of power. 10900k can run cooler at the die sensor, but pull a ton of juice. Both wattage values are well within the dissipation abilities of a basic 240mm AIO.

...maybe someone forgot to show the correct temperature, without the 65W tdp factory lock?

cpu-temperature.png

You have to stop being so ignorant.

explain why they made an article wich analyze the problem in the reviews, but no mention of this article is shown in the original review of 5900X, 5800X and 5600X

If the site was mine, i would be the first to want to inform my user that i've found a problem.

I mean, everyone can make a mistake, but you should be more clear and inform the users.
If I am wrong, why the rest of the tech website shows different results?

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

That's the point of Ashes of the Singularity being mentioned, it is a benchmark. In my opinion, Total War (current total war games) or AotS can achieve the benchmarking desires for most users. I didn't include a game like Cities Skylines, but it is a great benchmark too.

To me CIV is like running DotA 2 or CS:GO as benchmark.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
So it absolutely spanks everything as expected, except GPU-limited gaming, in which case you could afford a 5950X so you can afford a 3090 too.

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
The 3800 memory in gaming seems very pro-AMD and I won't complain a bit. Competition is GREAT to see. However wouldn't it be more fair to include the same memory speed on the Intel variants too in order to show that level of gain comparison as well?

Nonetheless us consumers are really benefiting from the improvement AMD has made lately. Bravo!!!

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
The 3800 memory in gaming seems very pro-AMD and I won't complain a bit. Competition is GREAT to see. However wouldn't it be more fair to include the same memory speed on the Intel variants too in order to show that level of gain comparison as well?

Nonetheless us consumers are really benefiting from the improvement AMD has made lately. Bravo!!!

Your marked improvement comment is noted, however, it's not worth stating improvement when the term should be decisive victory. The 5950x is the best consumer CPU on the market. Intel top line CPUs get blown away in everything outside of gaming performance, when the performance is heavily GPU dependent and the consumer system isn't pairing a top tier CPU with top tier components, i.e., memory and GPU.

You're stating W1z didn't perform the same testing on the Intel variant, and that is false. The same testing was performed on top tier which is essentially what is being compared here.

Once again, this cycle has shown Intel is backed into superficial (kuddos for W1z for digging in deep on this) corner of being crowned king of gaming, at the cost of low efficiency and absurd power demands at this point in time. Intel will eventually outsource fabbing of their CPUs to please shareholders.

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Your marked improvement comment is noted, however, it's not worth stating improvement when the term should be decisive victory. The 5950x is the best consumer CPU on the market. Intel top line CPUs get blown away in everything outside of gaming performance, when the performance is heavily GPU dependent and the consumer system isn't pairing a top tier CPU with top tier components, i.e., memory and GPU.

You're stating W1z didn't perform the same testing on the Intel variant, and that is false. The same testing was performed on top tier which is essentially what is being compared here.

Once again, this cycle has shown Intel is backed into superficial (kuddos for W1z for digging in deep on this) corner of being crowned king of gaming, at the cost of low efficiency and absurd power demands at this point in time. Intel will eventually outsource fabbing of their CPUs to please shareholders.

I'm not up-to-date on how RAM affects systems nowadays. Golly, I still make jokes to friends about being late because I got on the wrong front-side bus!

I'm not a big overclocker and in the past few years I've been a little behind on my knowledge of some of the ram, clock, busses, and many of those other relationships that cntribute to performance figures. I have a surface-level impression that Ryzen benefits from faster RAM more than Intel machines would however I realize I could be wrong.

I was a little confused when all of a sudden a graph liek that shows up. Whoa! It...looks neat but its making me now ask more questions.

EDIT: apoloigies if my post possibly came off as "look fast ram make go fast why? AMD rUl3z! LoLz" which is certainly no my intent. I just noticed the 5950X was the only one with the extra RAM speed and was curious why overall

DOUBLE EDIT: OPPS! I didn't read the chart well enough. I see the system check with the 3090, better ram, and more NOW! hahahaha. Ok, I think I just didn;t read close enough. Carry on folks, carry on.

Last edited:

Civ VI main benefit is its beautiful cinematography and effects.

If you were actually in the mood for a strategic game however... you pretty much should stick to... well... any other Civ that ever came out. I think Civ VI oversimplifies the mechanics of the series. I realize that its important to simplify things for new audiences and all... but its almost anti-strategy. A lot of decisions (tall vs wide, workers/builders vs settler, etc. etc.) are streamlined to the point where the optimal strategy is obvious.

While earlier Civ games were much more difficult to make optimal decisions.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Civ VI main benefit is its beautiful cinematography and effects.

If you were actually in the mood for a strategic game however... you pretty much should stick to... well... any other Civ that ever came out. I think Civ VI oversimplifies the mechanics of the series. I realize that its important to simplify things for new audiences and all... but its almost anti-strategy. A lot of decisions (tall vs wide, workers/builders vs settler, etc. etc.) are streamlined to the point where the optimal strategy is obvious.

While earlier Civ games were much more difficult to make optimal decisions.
I’m not downplaying anything you’re stating. I love CIV games just like I love DotA 2. The problem is I don’t think either is worthy of benchmarking, and that’s not their purpose in the market either.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
I compared it to 16 cores category , it's one of the cheapest ever released has 16 cores.
But you can get your work done with 12 cores too, at lower hardware cost, just have to wait a little bit longer, which is acceptable for most