• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Some people can buy a $1,000,000 house, some can only afford to rent. Everyone has different budgets.

At what point do you draw the line at price being a pro or a con? The answer is you can't, so you need to compare it to it's competition.

The point at which the price of a given item within the system begins to realistically restrict access to the produce. As you stated some people can afford an $1 million house. Those people are in a sub group because they have the income to put them in that position. Its called being rich. HEDT are named as such because both the item itself and the platform it is for cost enough to restrict some people from buying it.

In Wizz conclusion he pointed that out and recommended it for those who either run multi-threaded applications (like render engines) all day and/or use their computer to make money where the reduced time justifies the cost.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
Good review. I'd love to have one of these, but I already have the i9-7900X here and I can't justify getting the TR part.

It's good to see a certain amount of pressure being applied to Intel these days.
The CPU market is better for us now.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Please use percentages rather than fps, fps are meaningless unless you know the base. 10fps when you are putting out 150 is vastly different to 10fps when you are putting out 30 for example.

I agree with this, and numbers I saw from Ryzen original launch, were nothing to laugh at. 30 fps to 40 fps min, in many games even at 1440p. avg fps doesnt matter at all at 1440p as they both equalize in everything except min fps. Ryzen 2 is a little better. if ryzen 3 gets even better its prob gonna be worth it to avoid intels crap once and for all. im just waiting for x570 mobos and gen 3

It's literally ALL about serious work.
It's literally all about basic multimedia tasks (encoding / rendering), which BTW has to be one of the most boring niches for using a PC. :-D
To be honest, I don't really understand who Intel and AMD target with this marketing. Vlogers? One-man video businesses?
Because larger companies doing video editing will, obviously, use OEM workstations (or most likely: servers).

"With up to 18 cores and 36 threads the Intel® Core™ X-series processor family is our most powerful ever. Turn your PC into a studio: produce amazing 4K or 360-degree videos, stunning photos, or amazing music. This is the ultimate tool for gaming and virtual reality experience the power to do it all. "
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/x-series.html
You see? No science,, no engineering, no medical applications, no financial simulations. Video and gaming. A-w-e-s-o-m-e. :-D

Keep in mind encoding/rendering is a best case scenario for a slow high-core-count workstation. Essentially, one can do this with a GPU - granted it provides required instructions and libraries.
Generally, this is NOT how workstation-class PCs are used in real life.

Happily, I work on a VM at the moment and I don't have to care about the hardware at all (2C/4T :-D). But if someone decided to give me a powerful desktop, I'd easily go for the modern Xeons - simply because of the superior single-thread performance and how flexible they are.
2066 and TR4 are not even business-oriented platforms. Putting aside the gaming-oriented Area-51, AFAIK you won't find them in top3 OEMs' catalogues. :)
You're like that other guy who has made up his own definition of HEDT, but for "workstation", cherry-picking certain words and ending up convincing himself that the end result is some kind of holy gospel...
"HEDT" is an artificial, weird and poorly defined term. And I hate it, honestly. It's an insult to the machines that let us do all those great things.
People spend so much time thinking if their PCs are HEDT-enough (e.g. benchmarking), they don't have time to use it. :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6700XT Gaming OC (2.80Ghz core / 2.15Ghz mem)
Storage Corsair MP510 NVMe 960GB; Samsung 850 Evo 250GB; Samsung 860 Evo 500GB;
Display(s) Dell S2721DGFA; Iiyama ProLite B2783QSU;
Case Cooler Master Elite 361
Power Supply Cooler Master G750M
That's the thing though - tech like that opens new possibilities for markets that didn't exist before. A lot of computation-heavy work is outsourced to freelancers today, often by those same companies which would buy the OEMs, while places which previously had trouble putting together the hardware they need to build clusters for such tasks now can pull it off with a single workstation. It's not all about the big corporate clients. Science, engineering, and medical simulations go to the server farms. The new multi-core CPUs are in fact targeting private professionals. Media production might seem boring to you, when compared to the grand science, but it actually makes the world go round to a large extent. People consume it incessantly and the growth ain't gonna stop soon.