• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX Overclocked to 5.955 GHz On All Cores

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
Reactions: HTC

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Hi there, just wanted to make a small clarification here just in case this info is overlooked :)

I'm an overclocker working for small Indonesian-only OC site (oc.jagatreview.com), also sometimes I cooperate with vendors and other partners doing some overclocking tests for an upcoming pre-released products.
Both me and my friend IvanCupa do a joint LN2 session for 2990WX Extreme OC testing on the MSI X399 MEG to show some extreme OC result on the NDA Release day, I'm doing benchmarks (Cinebench R15/GPUPI for CPU 1B) and IvanCupa is doing CPU-Z clock validation.

For the CPU-Z Validation, please do note that:
- Yes, ALL 32-Core is including SMT is still enabled when booting from BIOS, but
- We searched or Best Cores using Ryzen Master, and downclocked all the other cores while doing so. So effectively it's only one core that clocked that high.
- We show this on the screenshot submitted on hwbot (core number 26 only overclocked, others downclocked)

It turned out that there's a difference of at least 150Mhz between 'best' cores and 'worst' cores for validation, and this is the best cores out of our 2990WX.
Due to LN2 and time constraint, we haven't tested doing LN2 validation for ALL-core turned to EXACT same speed. Would love to do that later though

Anyway, correct voltage was the one on MSI Command Center Lite. 1.68v. Temperature was Full pot (-184C or so)

Hopefully that clears things up

*)Sorry if bad English

Best Regards,

Alva

Thank you for the clarification :D Welcome to TPU :D
AMD never cease to amaze me of late.. (in a good way!!) I did see that core 26 was selected when doing the CPU-Z test.. How do you feel the CPU fares to the competition? Is it as good as it says? :)

Not 6GHz but 5.387GHz: for 32 cores, that's very impressive, IMO.

Your not wrong :) I just wondered if there was a cherry picked CPU out there that would be able to manage 6Ghz or thereabouts :) It would be pointless for me to buy one, doesn't stop me wanting to buy one still tho lol :D

AMD never cease to amaze me of late.. (in a good way!!) I did see that core 26 was selected when doing the CPU-Z test.. How do you feel the CPU fares to the competition? Is it as good as it says? :)

From a perspective of an extreme LN2 overclocker to break score records, 2990WX would be strong for non-AVX heavily multithreaded 2D CPU benchmarks like Cinebench, GPUPI for CPU, and wPrime.
For 3DMark though, it's a bit of a hit and miss. Physics Score in 3DMark Fire Strike/ Time Spy Extreme Physics wasn't too good (Fire Strike Physics need to disable SMT apparently), was hoping to get higher score considering the massive core number this CPU has compared to the 7980XE.
Also for LN2 OC we need to use PCIe Gen 1 to avoid cold bug when benching lower than -100 or -120C, so multi-GPU 3DMark record was a no-go for now.

These things also eats massive amount of power during extreme OC, (I saw a 1 kW-ish draw at the wall during 5.4Ghz 1.65v Cinebench), and generate tons of thermal load. Would be a challenge to keep temperature as low as possible during bench. And benchmarking this thing at the limit would need strong VRM to say the least.

For ambient daily overclocking, at 4Ghz 1.3v I would really recommend to watch the VRM temperature during prolonged continuous use at those settings, getting a full-cover CPU-VRM monoblock would be ideal.

Reactions: HTC

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
From a perspective of an extreme LN2 overclocker to break score records, 2990WX would be strong for non-AVX heavily multithreaded 2D CPU benchmarks like Cinebench, GPUPI for CPU, and wPrime.
For 3DMark though, it's a bit of a hit and miss. Physics Score in 3DMark Fire Strike/ Time Spy Extreme Physics wasn't too good (Fire Strike Physics need to disable SMT apparently), was hoping to get higher score considering the massive core number this CPU has compared to the 7980XE.
Also for LN2 OC we need to use PCIe Gen 1 to avoid cold bug when benching lower than -100 or -120C, so multi-GPU 3DMark record was a no-go for now.

These things also eats massive amount of power during extreme OC, (I saw a 1 kW-ish draw at the wall during 5.4Ghz 1.65v Cinebench), and generate tons of thermal load. Would be a challenge to keep temperature as low as possible during bench. And benchmarking this thing at the limit would need strong VRM to say the least.

For ambient daily overclocking, at 4Ghz 1.3v I would really recommend to watch the VRM temperature during prolonged continuous use at those settings, getting a full-cover CPU-VRM monoblock would be ideal.

Stupid question: did anyone think of using an AMD RX Vega 64 (@ non sub-ambient speeds 1st, to see if there was any point in doing it with LN2)?

I'm saying this because of what's described here:

RX Vega 64 should never beat the 1080 Ti and yet, as evidenced above, not only it does but it does so by quite a margin, in some cases. For reference, the pic was taken from this article.

Dunno if this can be reproduced in 3DMark but this strongly suggests some sort of driver issues with nVidia's GPU, no?

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(

From what I'm reading and can remember from my limited benchmarking days, the 3D Mark CPU tests and such are only really touching or using about 10 cores, they aren't using all of the cores available at all, so anything past a 8/10 core CPU is a waste for it..
I was wondering if AMD was having any issues with the cold bug?? From again what I remember there were no issues as such with the FX8xxx series CPUs, none that I recall that affected the PCIe slots anyways, but I could be wrong I'm not sure :)

With regards to the amount it pulls under load, I'm really not surprised it takes a chuck load more watts to run the tests at the higher clocks.. More cores, more speed, more power.. Somehow I think these higher capacity PSU's will still be used for things exactly like this..
VRM's I do wonder about slightly because of the amount of power that they will have to put up with.. I've always gone for proper overclocking boards for myself as I'm always worried that going for something a little less than overkill might limit my overclocks in someway.. Besides, at least I'd never worry about it going bang :)

I'd guess they'd get warm but if I'm honest, I think these CPUs perform so well at their stock speeds, that if you where overclocking them, water would probably be the only real way to go?? 500w of heat etc, is a lot to get rid of.... And to get rid of well and efficiently too...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
What a CLICKBAIT headline. It's 5.9 on ONE CORE, not all cores.

It was a mistake. Other sites made the same, but this one hasn't been udated.

@Raevenlord Time to update the article and headline?

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 5TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
Somebody let @Liviu Cojocaru know we need his "this doesn't mean anything to me" comments in here.
Did you find the meaning of life already?!

If you did I am impressed ;)

P.S doesn't really matter anyway...

System Name Old Old Old.
Processor AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz @5665+ 2.83GHz 1.4v
Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM
Memory Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Dual channel 1GBx2 CL5-5-5-15-20 @ 944MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB core@857MHz ram@1179MHz GDDR4
Storage alot of 'em
Display(s) ASUS 23" VC239H 1920x1080 IPS 5ms
Audio Device(s) Diamond 5.1
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400w dual rail
Mouse Logitech MX518