• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper Delidded - It's EPYC

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Overclocker extraordinaire der8auer, who was one of the most vocal enthusiasts calling out for better VRM designs on Intel's X299 platform (and who worked with ASUS on redesigning the VRM cooling in its motherboards) has gone and done it: he delidded a Ryzen Threadripper CPU. And this delidding went on to deliver the goods: Ryzen Threadripper delidded is EPYC (pun intended.)

Instead of the expected MCM composed of two dies (with two CCXs of four cores per die, delivering the 16 cores we were expecting), Ryzen Threadripper is actually a much more interesting chip: it seems to be a full fledged EPYC chip, with four dies of eight cores. According to der8auer, when questioned, AMD confirmed that 16-core Threadripper 1950X CPUs are configured with two working eight core dies (four CCXs of four cores each), while the other eight-core dies are disabled by AMD.

A very, very interesting question here is whether these are actually defective or just disabled by AMD, which is something the company is naturally mum about. With AMD's history of core unlocking, and the fact that Zen-based CPUs have high yields, we can certainly hope (maybe even expect) that not all disabled cores are non-functional, and that AMD had to disable some of them so as to achieve their SKU core-count. Whether or not those will be unlockable, though, is anybody's guess. Der8auer also found that AMD Threadripper dies are gold plated on the inside, so as to improve conditions and adherence of the indium solder AMD used (some users might say that while Intel uses cheap TIM on their HEDT, X299 CPUs, AMD even sells these with gold inside.) This fact naturally also opens the question of future platform scalability - AMD can certainly decide to just up available maximum core-count on their Threadripper line of CPUs (we still have at least 4 model numbers above the 1950X, an potentially more.)

Check Der8auer's delidding video on YouTube below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Who didnt see this coming? like really? I pretty much said this in an older thread.

Maybe one day we can have a 32core CPU for our threadripper machines?

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
Oh give me a bios that can enable the disabled Cores and i will buy this in a heartbeat.

System Name PC.
Processor i7 2600K 5.0Gh,i7 3770K 5.00Gh. EK, Liqed Coooleng
Motherboard P67A-UD7-B3 Gigabyte T.,ASUS,P8Z77-V PREMIUM,MAXIMUS V EXTRIME..
Cooling Liqed Cooleng ,EK Suprime LTX Nickel,EK for Motherboard,Aqua computer (WGA), Thermaltake .... 0i,
Memory G.SKILL F3-17600CL7-2GBPISG. 16GBSkill Sniper F3-17000CL94GBSR on 2400Hz 10-12-11-29 1
Video Card(s) GTX590 ,SLI ,POV TGT best 691Hz ,LiqedCoold,GTX480.....GTX1080MSI SeaHawkEK SLI
Storage OCZ-REVODRIVE 3-240GB,2xCrucialMX100.512.R-0,1x LMT-32L3m,3x 1TB-WD,1x;1x2TbSEAGATE1x2Tb Seagate
Display(s) DELL-U2412Mb,Samsung Synkmaster245B,HP ENVY 34c
Case Thermaltake, NZXT SWITCH 810SE
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE BLASTER X-Fi Titanium HD , AUNE T1MK2 TUBE USB
Power Supply ENERMAX Platimax 1500W,Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse VIPER V560,FUNC MS-3, Prestigio, R.A.T.E.7 and 5,LogitechG502,RAZER,Inperator.,dead...a.s.o.
Keyboard Trust ....LogotechG410
Software Windows7 64....
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Fire Strike 21.385 (37.234,11.828,7.176)
Yes, it would be nice to still open the rest of the cores, but lacking the necessary support on the processor side. It would be best if the four useful dai would work due to thermal distribution and thus higher operating frequencies, but I think the lottery will be here . And the intel new model has twenty cores under the cap, but it's max 18 unlocked, and twenty will sell us 20 next year. EPYC has a much larger reserve .

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The problem with solder is slowly the indium will get sucked onto the large patch of gold (used because of how indium bonds to it), and this will create holes in the solder that then lead to hot spots. This is why I like Intel using paste-based TIM... if it dries out, you can de-lid and replace, but when that solder wicks out, and the CPU runs hot only, you're forced to buy new gear.

This behavior of indium-based solders is properly documented, too, so while some see it as a boon, I see it a weakness in AMD's products, because, you know, I like science, not hype.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Asus didnt redesign VRM heatsinks for all their boards, just the few ROG boards that havent been released yet.

Most of Asus X299 boards on the market have the original heatsink, same with the other brands.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Most of Asus X299 boards on the market have the original heatsink, same with the other brands.
And if you believe this overheating hype, those ASUS boards you should stay away from, because, as has been said, they have inferior cooling.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
The problem with solder is slowly the indium will get sucked onto the large patch of gold (used because of how indium bonds to it), and this will create holes in the solder that then lead to hot spots. This is why I like Intel using paste-based TIM... if it dries out, you can de-lid and replace, but when that solder wicks out, and the CPU runs hot only, you're forced to buy new gear.

This behavior of indium-based solders is properly documented, too, so while some see it as a boon, I see it a weakness in AMD's products, because, you know, I like science, not hype.

I never realized that, if that is a problem with Au-In bonding why don't they simply use smaller Gold patches or limit the size of the gold patch to exactly that of the die seems feasible enough to not incur any additional cost.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
I was about to say that maybe those rumors about excellent yields on Ryzen chips where false. But if Threadripper is in fact something that AMD expects to sell in relatively limited quantities, maybe not creating one more product line makes financial sense, even if they in fact throw away fully functional dies under that heatspreader.

But this is really fun. Intel engineers will have a hard time to find a way to create an 18 core model for a socket that was designed for 10 core models, without coming out with a laughable base frequency. Only to see AMD coming out latter with 24 or 32 cores models, probably at more reasonable base frequencies.

In the end it seems that financial problems give AMD an advantage here. With no server market, so nothing to lose, and huge financial problems, that restrict them from creating multiple product lines, they are able to give a few but really solid products to their customers.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I never realized that, if that is a problem with Au-In bonding why don't they simply use smaller Gold patches or limit the size of the gold patch to exactly that of the die seems feasible enough to not incur any additional cost.
I do not think that solving this issue is really that simple; they are hoping that users that would buy such a product will simply upgrade or replace things when problems arise. There is also the bit about assembly costs that need to be considered as well. The length of time it takes for these sorts of issue to occur can vary, but we've all heard of soldered chips that end up running hot after some time... and now you know the real reason why that occurs.

I was about to say that maybe those rumors about excellent yields on Ryzen chips where false. But if Threadripper is in fact something that AMD expects to sell in relatively limited quantities, maybe not creating one more product line makes financial sense, even if they in fact throw away fully functional dies under that heatspreader.

But this is really fun. Intel engineers will have a hard time to find a way to create an 18 core model for a socket that was designed for 10 core models, without coming out with a laughable base frequency. Only to see AMD coming out latter with 24 or 32 cores models, probably at more reasonable base frequencies.

In the end it seems that financial problems give AMD an advantage here. With no server market, so nothing to lose, and huge financial problems, that restrict them from creating multiple product lines, they are able to give a few but really solid products to their customers.
I don't think the reality of how much one of these chips costs to make vs. it's retail pricing is widely known; I wouldn't call them using dies on a substrate, but having them disabled, really has any detrimental costs associated with doing it.

And if you believe this overheating hype, those ASUS boards you should stay away from, because, as has been said, they have inferior cooling.

On my ASUS X299 TUF Mark 2 ( the cheapest one ) VRM temp under full load with 7900X@4.7GHz is in high 70'. At least on air/water cooling CPU will overheat much faster than the VRM.
People who don't even own Skylake-X make the most noise about how bad it is.

So der8auer who is working with ASUS convinced said ASUS to change heatsink on APEX mobo which is not even on the market and barely anyone will buy it except those who wish to bench on LN2 and then this heatsink won't matter much anyway.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I can just see some cheaper motherboards dying from current overload if these get unlocked lol.

I'd bet money that AMD allows these to be unlocked. Very clever AMD, very clever. ;)

I wonder how many cpu in the world perform a complete thermal cycle in theyr lives.

because it is no problem at all for everybody cpu lifecycle.
It becomes a problem with extreme temperature shifts, like liquid nitrogen T to ambient T over a set amount of cooling-warming cycles.
Indium is a costly material, if it wasn't performing for the Au-In-Si interface at normal T it will not be used at all.
That photo of the threadripper dies exposed shows something around 8-12 dollars of indium.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I wasn't concerned with the Indium itself at all, he mentioned that the gold with enough thermal cycling eventually wicks out enough Indium between the heatspreader and the cpu die to cause problems late in the cpu's life. I was just why wouldn't they seemingly obvious fix of 'shortening the wick,' especially since the gold pad as seen don't need to be that big. So, to me this seems to be a case of planned obsolescence the more I think about it.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10

And how long does it take for indium solder to "get sucked onto the large patch of gold" and create those holes in solder? What is the last Intel CPU to have solder instead of paste.

I wasn't concerned with the Indium itself at all, he mentioned that the gold with enough thermal cycling eventually wicks out enough Indium between the heatspreader and the cpu die to cause problems late in the cpu's life. I was just why wouldn't they seemingly obvious fix of 'shortening the wick,' especially since the gold pad as seen don't need to be that big. So, to me this seems to be a case of planned obsolescence the more I think about it.

Thermal cycling in this context (testing Si-In-Au interfaces) is defined -55C° -> 125C°.

It always is, that's why we have cheapish TIM on Intel HEDT & a handful of PCIe lanes on RyZen, as compared to TR & EPYC.
It makes business sense, though as I consumer I'll always chose what's best for me & consider the product that provides better VFM, as compared to the other competitor.
And how long does it take for indium solder to "get sucked onto the large patch of gold" and create those holes in solder? What is the last Intel CPU to have solder instead of paste.
The 6950x or any other BDWE btw was that a rhetorical question?

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
It always is, that's why we have cheapish TIM on Intel HEDT & a handful of PCIe lanes on RyZen, as compared to TR & EPYC.
It makes business sense, though as I consumer I'll always chose what's best for me & consider the product that provides better VFM, as compared to the other competitor.
The 6950x or any other BDWE btw was that a rhetorical question?
Ok to rephrase that, how long back does the indium solder go on Intel cpus, for example i7 9xx. Are those soldered?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

This is also an easy upgrade path in the future, just unlock more cores and bam! new SKU ready to ship. Even if currently the disabled cores are faulty, in time manufacturing gets better naturally.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Ok to rephrase that, how long back does the indium solder go on Intel cpus, for example i7 9xx. Are those soldered?
Every IHS since Pentium 4 was soldered.

Yes, here's a good list of CPU's to know if they were soldered or glued together with the IHS ~ https://www.overclock.net/t/305443/ihs-removals-how-to-do-it-should-i-do-it-and-the-facts

Ivy was the first mainstream CPU, in a long time, that wasn't soldered, SKLX being the first HEDT which went the Ivy way. Basically there's nothing out there that suggests that solder goes kaput first, as compared to TIM, having said that we have TR & SKLX which will prove this theory one way or another.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
this is the reason why Intel so butthurt and go all out insulting Epyc CPU in their slide decks

think about it, one slice silicon to rule them all market segment from server, HEDT, performance, mainstream, all the way down to potato-grade CPU.
meanwhile Intel need to spend R&D and new design of silicons for each segmentation.