• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Software Adrenalin 23.1.2 for RX 7900 Series Third Straight Exclusive Driver, No New Driver for RX 6000 Series Since 48 Days

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Are you serious? Have you seen AMD's software package? I have a 3060 and felt surreal when I opened Geforce that it looked the exact same as it did when I had my GTS450......There were more features (I think) but it was still very much Windows XP.
Glitter and glamor but not quality is what I see in AMDs drivers, honestly.

RDNA2 is absolutely outstanding using amdgpu and Mesa under Linux. In fact, The Uncharted Collection is totally broken on both AMD and NVIDIA in Windows but it plays perfectly in Linux.
It's ironic that AMD is regularly outperformed by their OSS driver teammates.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
As a side note, does anybody remember the time when AMD didn't have "game ready" drivers, only quarterly WHQL, and monthly or bi-monthly beta updates and nobody cried about it? I do. ;)

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think both AMD and Nvidia's drivers are good and bad for various reasons.

Nvidia:
+ Simple.
+ Works.
- No overclocking / tuning options.
- 13 menus, only about 2 are used for anything these days.
- "3D Settings" menu filled with a million options, the rest of the menus are basically empty.
- Menus all crammed onto the left, with huge amounts of unused space on the right.
- (Subjective) Looks like garbage.
- GeForce Experience needs an online login (and is pretty useless, imo).

AMD:
+ Looks modern.
+ The tuning tool / Wattmam works great.
- Menu structure isn't the most logical with lots of similar options scattered in different menus.
- Some menus are a bit cluttered.
- Online stuff (ads).

I have gripes against both, but if I had to pick, I'd give the point to AMD, if not for anything else, then at least for the overclocking tool.

As for Afterburner, I've never really liked it, nor do I like the idea that I need a 3rd party tuning tool because the GPU driver doesn't have one. The best monitoring tool will always be Task Manager + GPU-Z (and HWinfo in extreme cases) on a 7" secondary display. :D

I don't really use Experience on my own pc but it has tons of features if you actually use it, including overclocking / auto oc and tweaking in general and tons of options for reshade/filters that actually works great and are very easy to use and setup or tweak to your liking. Why is it an issue with login? It remembers some settings that way, custom presets for example.

It seems to me that you mostly have AMD experience. You can almost do anything in the Nvidia drivers with experience installed. However, menus and design could use some refreshing, but advanced features are there.

I will always prefer a 3rd party tool for overclocking I think. Afterburner is my go-to.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I don't really use Experience on my own pc but it has tons of features if you actually use it, including overclocking / auto oc and tweaking in general and tons of options for reshade/filters that actually works great and are very easy to use and setup or tweak to your liking. Why is it an issue with login? It remembers some settings that way, custom presets for example.

It seems to me that you mostly have AMD experience. You can almost do anything in the Nvidia drivers with experience installed. However, menus and design could use some refreshing, but advanced features are there.

I will always prefer a 3rd party tool for overclocking I think. Afterburner is my go-to.
I've had a relatively equal amount of AMD/ATi and Nvidia experience in the last 20 years. I've had everything from the X800 XT through a 7800 GS AGP and a 9600 GT, a HD 7970, 1060, 1660 Ti, 5700 XT, 2070... I've had everything. The only thing I don't have much experience with is GeForce Experience, because I don't really need extras besides running the game, especially not if an online login is required.

I'm not talking about the past, though. Nvidia's driver kit was OK in the Windows XP times, but time has flown by it. It needs an overhaul.

My problem with an online login is that it's pointless. If you want to store settings on your profile, sure, use it. Personally, I would like my personal data not to be attached to something as basic as the operating system or the GPU driver. I don't see why I shouldn't have the choice.

As for Afterburner, each to their own, I guess. :)

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I've had a relatively equal amount of AMD/ATi and Nvidia experience in the last 20 years. I've had everything from the X800 XT through a 7800 GS AGP and a 9600 GT, a HD 7970, 1060, 1660 Ti, 5700 XT, 2070... I've had everything. The only thing I don't have much experience with is GeForce Experience, because I don't really need extras besides running the game, especially not if an online login is required.

I'm not talking about the past, though. Nvidia's driver kit was OK in the Windows XP times, but time has flown by it. It needs an overhaul.

My problem with an online login is that it's pointless. If you want to store settings on your profile, sure, use it. Personally, I would like my personal data not to be attached to something as basic as the operating system or the GPU driver. I don't see why I shouldn't have the choice.

As for Afterburner, each to their own, I guess. :)
I agree that Nvidia should update their driver ui and i don't use experience because i would rather see features integrated in drivers as well - Experience seems too casual for advanced users, so why hide advanced features there, should be in the driver