• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Teases New TressFX Technology

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
NVIDIA + Physix = Majestic Rendering that haters hate.
AMD + TressFX = Evil Monopoly

AMD + anything = monopoly? LoL? I hope they won't get bankrupt next year :nutkick:

Once more, AMD has nothing to do with software on consoles. They just bring the hardware. AMD driver-team has no slightest connection with plain metal hardware - running alien OS with shared memory and custom DSP's. It is Sony's and M$ work to do the bare metal coding part and build the SDK while looking at the engineering papers and registers.

Quantos

Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill 2x2GB 1333
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU
Storage 1TB WD Black
Display(s) 2x ASUS VH242H
Case Lancool PC-K7
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DS
Power Supply Corsair 750W (Orange)
Software Notepad O/S is the only software I run
Ok, can someone explain who actually made this, and who it is for? Did Havoc develop this? Is it limited to AMD cards, or is it just AMD announcing it for DX11? :wtf:

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
Doesn't matter now. AMD controls the development when it come to gaming. They locked down all three consoles. End of story.
I have a feeling that Intel and nVidia aren't exactly just going to say "well it was fun folks!" - not to mention, you do realize the excessive cost constraints on the manufacturers of console parts, right? AMD will probably just be meeting quotas, if even that. All is not peachy at AMD, and this console contracts aren't anything new. All it takes is a little "misunderstanding" between the supplier and the buyer for things to go really bad real fast. And also realize that AMD's APU won't be doing anything custom most likely. Let's wait and see.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I have a feeling that Intel and nVidia aren't exactly just going to say "well it was fun folks!" - not to mention, you do realize the excessive cost constraints on the manufacturers of console parts, right? AMD will probably just be meeting quotas, if even that. All is not peachy at AMD, and this console contracts aren't anything new. All it takes is a little "misunderstanding" between the supplier and the buyer for things to go really bad real fast. And also realize that AMD's APU won't be doing anything custom most likely. Let's wait and see.

Doesn't matter. They are not gonna say "AMD is late on a shipment we better order NVIDIA chips instead" :laugh: NVIDIA has NOTHING going on right now except an over priced GPU in a dying desktop market. AMD has a strong APU and a monopoly in the console market. I highly doubt AMD is going bankrupt next year. :rolleyes: :laugh:

System Name PC
Processor Intel i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory G.SKILL RipjawsX 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD, rev. 1.0)
Storage Intel 530 180GB + Intel 520 120GB + multiple HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2770 via DVI
Case Antec Eleven Hundred
Power Supply CORSAIR AX760
Software Windows 7 Pro x64 (w/ all updates + SP1)
Doesn't matter. They are not gonna say "AMD is late on a shipment we better order NVIDIA chips instead" :laugh: NVIDIA has NOTHING going on right now except an over priced GPU in a dying desktop market. AMD has a strong APU and a monopoly in the console market. I highly doubt AMD is going bankrupt next year. :rolleyes: :laugh:
I seriously doubt as well that AMD is at the edge of financial ruins (as a whole), so I wasn't even implying that - nor is it an immediate option for a buyer to go to the competitor the instant quotas aren't met, but I have the feeling that AMD is a bit over its head with these new contracts. It's almost like they probably over-promised (happens all the time in contract bidding). Nvidia is doing quite well, their portfolios are healthy and viable to remain competitive. AMD just got lucky with this, now let's see if those teeth can actually bite.

Nvidia saw this coming... Tegra Zone, Project Shield, GeForce Experience. Looks like a application store a handheld and a fancy clumsier gaming slider that took 5yrs to make. You'd think the big 3 Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony were looking at Nvidia and said lets give them money when they will be competing for similar customer base.

Whatever Intel and Nvidias plans are they have to take a backseat for the next 5yrs or until the next round of consoles come.

AMD just got lucky with this

Is that why Nvidia hired the man that helped secure the contracts Bob Feldstein. To get lucky themselves.

Last edited:
Pretty sure everything will run on directcompute(or maybe openCL) since AMD has no way of implementing a proprietary physic engine to not run on some cards, especially since AMD hasn't released any new hardware. This will be something AMD can market with gamesevolved and likely license out to new gen game engines on the new consoles.

Why? You don't think it was better for the two major physics API makers to be bought up and made proprietary? I think we all know, nvidia, no um, intel, um, errr, wait, uh...no one is better off with all of these software apis being made proprietary...

I'm too cynical about this now to even worry about this little thing. Back when Ageia and Havok got bought there was a real opportunity for gpu physics that would have made a difference. Rather than Ageia and Havok making their APIs run using either OpenCL or DirectCompute so that there could be competition, we wound up with this crap...All physics being limited by CPU forever. Nvidia can't get developers to alienate AMD gpu owners by making the physics that used physx too stressful, and I'm sure intel will never let Havok build a version of their api that makes use of GPU compute tools, it just strengthens AMDs position. The whole thing is a sad, fucked affair that will forever annoy me.

The point to all this being...it's too late. The idea of a major third party stepping in with the skill to be competitive with either of Physx or Havok that would stay independent and simply license their API to keep the playing field level is just a pipe dream. It's not impossible for someone to do it, but don't hold your breath.

You are missing the point here. Havok is and was Intel's and it worked on AMD or Intel based systems. So basically whatever system you had, the physics were there. Thats why we ALL enjoyed Half-Life 2 physics. Now imagine Half-Life 2 with hardware accelerated physics taht would run on ALL graphic cards, be it Intel (these are still rubbish but anyway), AMD or NVIDIA. I bet that what Valve did in Half-Life 2 by integrating physics into gameplay was limited by the hardware itself. If they did a bit too much with it it might be too taxing on systems from that time. But with HW physics, they could do 5 times the physics integrated into gameplay and still not make the system sweat.

Now back to reality. What have all PhysX powered games in common? They were all dumbed down for anything non NVIDIA just to make PhysX look so awesome even though half of it could be easily done on any CPU. But they instead completely cut it out to artificially make PhysX look better.

And even if we look PhysX running on NVIDIA powered systems. What did they realistically gain? Realistic moving fog and some liquids that still looked like mercury. The rest was some rubbish shattered glass that i've seen back in 2001 in Red Faction 1 and which still looks phenomenal even today, i've seen insane environment in yet again red Faction Guerrilla running entirely on CPU. I've seen amazing physics details in Max Payne 2 on all the misc items in the world. Years before anyone even heard of HW physics. Same goes for clothing simulation. UT99 in 1999 had the most amazing moving flags. Sure they were not dynamic but the movement was so freakin authentic. And the Max's leather jacket in Max Payne 2 yet again. PhysX hasn't done anything others haven't done with CPU. They just overdid it on all ends so it ran like shit even on the fastest quad cores to an extent it often looked just plain ridiculous.

Graphics evolved to what we have today because ANYONE can get them regardless if you have a gfx card from one or another camp. But examples like 3dfx Glide, Creative EAX, PhysX, AMD Bullet Physics never really achieved anything because it only ran on one or another hardware and because of that you can't afford to integrate it into games core gameplay. And if you can't do that you can only do pointless gimmicky things with it. Well who gives a toss about kicking some rubbish cans around or watch old newspaper floating around in a virtual wind. CPU can do that sort of nonsense.

What we need is an open physics standard that anyone can use, integrate into core gameplay and that any end user can enjoy it. Who cares if AMD controls all 3 consoles at the moment? There are still NVIDIA users which aren't exactly in minority and because of them you again can't use TressFX in core gameplay because you'll make the game uninteresting for all the NVIDIA users and if you're a game developer you just can't afford that.

So for the love of gamers and yourself NVIDIA and AMD, stick the exclusives of your physics engines up yours (both), sit behind the same table, work out an open physics engine everyone can benefit from so we can finally move the horribly static games into something they could evolve into like almost 8 years ago. just think of how dynamic gameplay would be if physics in games were actually real, not the shit they sell it to us right now as "realistic". Imagine Battlefield maps that would actually and for real dynamically change through combat time. But because the standard hasn't been worked out you see a wall chip here and a wooden plank broken there and some plant knocked of there and thats pretty much it. Not amused because by now, they could ALL do a lot better...

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
PPLL = Programmable Phase-Locked Loop? :confused:

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
A hell of a lot of ranting going on. Remember its Amd that use open standards and don't do proprietary api's whereas nvidia are such total bandits I have to hack my hybrid card to use it .a simple thing but so annoying as ive bought it and its reasonable to expect to be able to use it as I wish and not beffitng their ideals
Anyway I approve Amd carry on..

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
Long story short, it's potentially AMD's middle finger to PhysX. Whether it'll be non-proprietary is anyone's guess.

These proprietary features potentially bring in money for the manufacturers, but they stagnate game development. Long hair, frilly dresses, tall grasses... yeah, they're computationally expensive. But it's mostly cosmetic, so why not pass it onto all those idle CPU threads that all the game programmers are too lazy to use for other things?

You are missing the point here. Havok is and was Intel's and it worked on AMD or Intel based systems. So basically whatever system you had, the physics were there. Thats why we ALL enjoyed Half-Life 2 physics. Now imagine Half-Life 2 with hardware accelerated physics taht would run on ALL graphic cards, be it Intel (these are still rubbish but anyway), AMD or NVIDIA. I bet that what Valve did in Half-Life 2 by integrating physics into gameplay was limited by the hardware itself. If they did a bit too much with it it might be too taxing on systems from that time. But with HW physics, they could do 5 times the physics integrated into gameplay and still not make the system sweat.

Now back to reality. What have all PhysX powered games in common? They were all dumbed down for anything non NVIDIA just to make PhysX look so awesome even though half of it could be easily done on any CPU. But they instead completely cut it out to artificially make PhysX look better.

And even if we look PhysX running on NVIDIA powered systems. What did they realistically gain? Realistic moving fog and some liquids that still looked like mercury. The rest was some rubbish shattered glass that i've seen back in 2001 in Red Faction 1 and which still looks phenomenal even today, i've seen insane environment in yet again red Faction Guerrilla running entirely on CPU. I've seen amazing physics details in Max Payne 2 on all the misc items in the world. Years before anyone even heard of HW physics. Same goes for clothing simulation. UT99 in 1999 had the most amazing moving flags. Sure they were not dynamic but the movement was so freakin authentic. And the Max's leather jacket in Max Payne 2 yet again. PhysX hasn't done anything others haven't done with CPU. They just overdid it on all ends so it ran like shit even on the fastest quad cores to an extent it often looked just plain ridiculous.

Graphics evolved to what we have today because ANYONE can get them regardless if you have a gfx card from one or another camp. But examples like 3dfx Glide, Creative EAX, PhysX, AMD Bullet Physics never really achieved anything because it only ran on one or another hardware and because of that you can't afford to integrate it into games core gameplay. And if you can't do that you can only do pointless gimmicky things with it. Well who gives a toss about kicking some rubbish cans around or watch old newspaper floating around in a virtual wind. CPU can do that sort of nonsense.

What we need is an open physics standard that anyone can use, integrate into core gameplay and that any end user can enjoy it. Who cares if AMD controls all 3 consoles at the moment? There are still NVIDIA users which aren't exactly in minority and because of them you again can't use TressFX in core gameplay because you'll make the game uninteresting for all the NVIDIA users and if you're a game developer you just can't afford that.

So for the love of gamers and yourself NVIDIA and AMD, stick the exclusives of your physics engines up yours (both), sit behind the same table, work out an open physics engine everyone can benefit from so we can finally move the horribly static games into something they could evolve into like almost 8 years ago. just think of how dynamic gameplay would be if physics in games were actually real, not the shit they sell it to us right now as "realistic". Imagine Battlefield maps that would actually and for real dynamically change through combat time. But because the standard hasn't been worked out you see a wall chip here and a wooden plank broken there and some plant knocked of there and thats pretty much it. Not amused because by now, they could ALL do a lot better...

Oddly, you agreed with me for the most part, except the part when I said, no one is going to build a third physics API on the level of Ageia or Havok, and you said, what we need is to build a third physics API.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I won't be too impressed if the 'AMD only' enhancements are to do with just Lara's hair.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Be pretty cool if its some DX11 GPU Physics implementation or something. I'm actually looking forward to the announcement.

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x - SMT Off / 5600x - SMT Off
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
My guess is 3 gpu config ,with 1 using some kind of physics.

Processor Core i5-10400
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
I don't know why AMD keeps doing this. Why don't they go straight to the annoucement? This stuff just gets everyone's hopes up... unless AMD feeds on our broken hearts and shattered dreams then I don't see what they accomplish with this.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
What happened to Uno and DosFX?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I don't know why AMD keeps doing this. Why don't they go straight to the annoucement? This stuff just gets everyone's hopes up... unless AMD feeds on our broken hearts and shattered dreams then I don't see what they accomplish with this.

Soooo many companies do this. It's "run of the mill" marketing.

Processor Core i5-10400
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
I know, it just bothers me to no end... or maybe I'm just impatient. :p

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x - SMT Off / 5600x - SMT Off
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
What happened to Uno and DosFX?

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
Cool...

TressFX Hair revolutionizes Lara Croft’s locks by using the DirectCompute programming language to unlock the massively-parallel processing capabilities of the Graphics Core Next architecture, enabling image quality previously restricted to pre-rendered images. Building on AMD’s previous work on Order Independent Transparency (OIT), this method makes use of Per-Pixel Linked-List (PPLL) data structures to manage rendering complexity and memory usage.

DirectCompute is additionally utilized to perform the real-time physics simulations for TressFX Hair. This physics system treats each strand of hair as a chain with dozens of links, permitting for forces like gravity, wind and movement of the head to move and curl Lara’s hair in a realistic fashion. Further, collision detection is performed to ensure that strands do not pass through one another, or other solid surfaces such as Lara’s head, clothing and body. Finally, hair styles are simulated by gradually pulling the strands back towards their original shape after they have moved in response to an external force.

Graphics cards featuring the Graphics Core Next architecture, like select AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series, are particularly well-equipped to handle these types of tasks, with their combination of fast on-chip shared memory and massive processing throughput on the order of trillions of operations per second.

System Name ASAS
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Patriot 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 T1 @ 1.5V
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Gaming
Storage Samsung 830 256GB + Samsung Spinpoint T133 HD400LJ 400GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster EX1920
Case Bitfenix Ghost
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889
Power Supply Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage SSD: Team 512GB NVMe + Team 2TB SATA || HDD: 2x WD VRaptor 500GB & 2x WD Blue 4TB
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64