• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Detail Zen 2, Navi Architectures Come Hot Chips in August

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It's not a wild allegation. Small and cheap fan on a 30W chip is not something we don't see everywhere around us. It's called Intel stock cooler.

Yes, this tiny fan could be silent if it had cost $10.

Yeah, but what's the point? It's a consumer platform. Hardly anyone will use the PCIe 4.0 potential X570 is rumored to provide. But everyone will have a small fan like in the 90s.
This is the same argument as always. You can mock "the competitor" on losing in benchmarks and specs, but they make a mature, purpose-built ecosystem. They deliver in friendliness and practicality.
One can make any PC more faster by adding fans, hence allowing a larger power draw. It doesn't mean it's always a good idea.

If one has loud components or doesn't care, a 50mm chipset fan won't make a difference - I totally agree.

But look around you on all these people spending hundreds of USD on fanless PSUs, better GPU coolers and premium case fans. All that becomes obsolete. They'll now have a 50mm high rpm fan. It'll be the loudest part in their PCs.
And if it turns out the fan is spinning slowly, hence silent, it'll mean it wasn't necessary in the first place.
Keep banging the bull drum budy , someone might be convinced.

Talk about Drama , it's now the loudest fan in a pc, if they're going to that quite extreme ,a bit more effort would be nothing.

As for your efforts to dramatise this topic taking on all comers ,seams a bit shill, your definitely a hater.

Doesn't intels latest hedt feature fans on the Vrms , dya think that's noisey.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Hey you forgot it's AMD, there's no way they're doing anything wrong, it's not like we're talking about intel here.
/sarcasm

That was a factual statement. No /S required.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Isn't x570 supposed to be in-house amd chipset, rather than asmedia made before that (all other AM4 chipsets). Not that it have anything to do with the matter, but it sure takes more power than it asmedia made predecessor.

Now now children, no need to fight.

That's the rumour, but apparently there's another that Asmedia still makes it for AMD. This means the chipset is still 40-32nm. No, it's not 14nm as some here seems to think and most definitely not 7nm. Chipsets are usually always on a much older node than CPUs.

The fan is mostly intended to kick in when NVMe RAID is used, as it makes the chipset go supernova.

There will be fanless boards, but expect to pay a premium for them.

For all the amd fans here ignoring this Fan thing. This is an AM3+ 990FX motherboard with a 20w TDP. It didn´t use a fan. Something is fishy here, wether you like it or not. I have enough years on hardware to know it.

Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
Cooling ZeroTherm FZ120
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 6G Gaming X
Storage Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) Samsung PX2370 + Acer AL1717
Case Antec 1200 v1
Audio Device(s) aune x1s
Power Supply Enermax Modu87+ 800W
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Qpad MK80
So AMD fail if fan, and fail if a heatsink :slap: :clap: you have no interest in anything AMD and have just come to the thread to troll, so what does it matter.

Oh but i am interested, since i'm no fanboy unlike many in here, i don't care if it's intel or amd, or nvidia or arm or whoever you want, i'm just interested in performance, reliability and quality, rest is just blabbering for fanboys.
I was planning on upgrading to ryzen 3000 for a while now, this surely doesn't encourage me more with the upgrade, and the reasons you can find pretty much in this thread, and i've already expressed some too, even if in a rather provocative way...

Last edited:
The fan on the chipset makes me remember my p5n-d sli setup with the fan on the northbridge, or my sabertooth z77 with the fan behind the shield.

It's a sign of my destiny...

I personally don't care about the fan.

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
The thought of upgrading my Ryzen 2600 and RX 580 later this year is exciting.

After building my 3570K years ago, and then every generation having to justify to myself why a complete motherboard (and memory) overhaul would be worth it, and then to have second thoughts, and then to put it off again, and then think "next generation will be worth it", and then go through the same dilemma next time around, over, and over, and over again - it's nice to be back on AMD.

omigosh that x570 gaming plus is sooo sexy :love:

After all the bullshit MSI tried to pull with ryzen 3000 series, MSI --> no way. MSI is usually the last well known motherboard vendor I think when I buy motherboards. Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte and then MSI.

For all the amd fans here ignoring this Fan thing. This is an AM3+ 990FX motherboard with a 20w TDP. It didn´t use a fan. Something is fishy here, wether you like it or not. I have enough years on hardware to know it.

I'm not going to buy any motherboard with a fan and I think as far as I can remember, I never bought a motherboard with a fan, heat-sink is the way to go. They tried to add a fan on a monitor, bad idea too. Fans is only good for gpus, cpus and the sort. I remember they tried to normalize fans to memory too, pure bullshit, nobody went along with it.

Last edited:
Fans, fans, fans. Problem with PCH 'radiators' is that those aren't radiators at all. Often it is just square slab of aluminium which has basically no thermal conductivity. Even worse, many have PCB inserts with LEDs which acts as an additional insulator and adds extra heat when lighting is on.

For radiator to be A Radiator it must have fins, and tons of it. Of course you can't put RGB on fins. :peace:

Take for example Zenith Extreme PCH (v1 not the Alpha). There is thin (~7mm) piece of aluminium on PCH. It comes in two parts. When you unscrew the top cover (which is about 3mm) you're left with remaining 4. Underneath the shroud is M.2 port. Now any NVMe drive plugged there will be cooking itself to death (I know I'm using it) because pocket in the shroud traps hot air and not transfers it away - no fins on top. So after a while, removed the top shroud, unpluged the RGB piece of PCB and now running M.2 drive with beefy heatsink, but for PCH there is absolutely no difference in temperature with or without top shroud. On warm day 65C no problem. Especially when I trash the system like doing sculpting in ZBrush, there is plenty of I/O access with PCH.

I say bollocks to such design of workstation class products.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
What the hell. I enter an AMD Zen 2 topic and I read two pages of whine about a god damn fan. On a board that you can or cannot buy and is entirely unrelated otherwise. If it can be engineered differently, then for sure it will happen. You've seen two MSI boards of which one is the Carbon, which is known to be a bang/buck board that excels on features/price.

Besides, most PCH fans I know run on pretty low RPM and mostly serve to pull or push heat out from under that heatsink and into the general case airflow.

Get a life, please.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Why does so many become defensive when someone raises a valid concern about the presented motherboards? It doesn't mean the platform as a whole is bad, and there is no reason to take it personally. I assume there will be some motherboards without a chipset fan, and if there are too few of these, it's important to raise concerns so that motherboard makers get the point.

Whenever I build systems, I expect them to last a good five years of daily use, even if it's not my primary system. That means I choose quality parts, and bad cooling solutions is one of the things I stay away from. With a chipset fan I would be worried about the long-term reliability and noise, and usually you can't replace them either.

Also, one final note. The motherboards displayed currently, and even some of the ones to be shown at Computex may still be prototypes, so there can be small deviations in production versions. Still, I do hope reporters at Computex provide feedback to the motherboard makers.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Why does so many become defensive when someone raises a valid concern about the presented motherboards? It doesn't mean the platform as a whole is bad, and there is no reason to take it personally. I assume there will be some motherboards without a chipset fan, and if there are too few of these, it's important to raise concerns so that motherboard makers get the point.

Whenever I build systems, I expect them to last a good five years of daily use, even if it's not my primary system. That means I choose quality parts, and bad cooling solutions is one of the things I stay away from. With a chipset fan I would be worried about the long-term reliability and noise, and usually you can't replace them either.

Also, one final note. The motherboards displayed currently, and even some of the ones to be shown at Computex may still be prototypes, so there can be small deviations in production versions. Still, I do hope reporters at Computex provide feedback to the motherboard makers.

Its just offtopic here. This topic is not about m/b design... right now people are left with the impression that all these boards will have crappy, noisy fans and thus its a hot chipset and boy that cannot be right, so Zen must be shit. We're now several pages in still going on about this. Why?

That's all fine, however have you seen any of these boards in action ~ the CPU or other boards? How do you figure this is even a valid concern without checking the boards out first? The crappy VRM or heatsink is a perennial problem since eons & will likely not go away anytime soon.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Its just offtopic here. This topic is not about m/b design...
Respectfully, that's your opinion.
If motherboards and chipset launched together with a CPU is not part of the discussion of a platform then I don't know what is. Most people do after all select a motherboard to go with their new CPU.
Edit: One example, at the launch of Skylake-X, many threads complained about VRM cooling, and partially rightfully so, as some motherboards did have poor cooling, but certainly not all.

Hopefully it's semi-passive, only spinning if temperature gets too high (if PCIE 4.0 is in use).

Its just offtopic here. This topic is not about m/b design... right now people are left with the impression that all these boards will have crappy, noisy fans and thus its a hot chipset and boy that cannot be right, so Zen must be shit. We're now several pages in still going on about this. Why?
But the people that mock the offtopic haven't really tried to discuss Zen2. So maybe no one is interested in Zen anymore? Maybe our fan fun gave this topic a life?

And yes, chipset is part of the Zen2 platform. If Zen2 forces fans on chipsets in any way (could be technical, could be simply not giving mobo makers enough time), then we are entitled to discuss this in "Zen2 architecture" topic.

People saying a 55cm fan will spin at low RPM shouldn´t even visit hardware websites. Seriously, read different websites, because tech and hardware isn´t clearly your thing.

Anyway, I shouldn´t be explaining this but.... if you have a 55cm fan at low RPM, it is the same as not having one. Think about it, please.

What I see is that haters bash intel and nvidia articles with the most silly critics. But if there´s something fishy or not as good with AMD then the gang attacks and defends it to death. IMAGINE if Z390 motherboards had fans, just IMAGINE the drama on the internet if people would tell you that only high end and more expensive z390 motherboards wouldn´t have a fan.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Doesn't intels latest hedt feature fans on the Vrms , dya think that's noisey.
?

This varies by board partner, not an "intel" thing that can be painted with a broad stroke.

That said, I believe there is at least one with a fan on the vrm in the flagship Rampage VI Extreme Omega. When using a 7960x at 4.3 ghz all c/t those fans spin up in a gaming session, indeed, however I cannot hear them over 3x 120mm yate loons at 850 rpm (nearly silent).

That's a different story if I am long term stress testing as they ramp up faster when the CPU is pulling 500W+. That doesnt happen at stock stress testing, note.

Maybe there is another x299 board with fans that are louder than this one. But when they kick in for normal use on this board, they are inaudible on low.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
But the people that mock the offtopic haven't really tried to discuss Zen2. So maybe no one is interested in Zen anymore? Maybe our fan fun gave this topic a life?

And yes, chipset is part of the Zen2 platform. If Zen2 forces fans on chipsets in any way (could be technical, could be simply not giving mobo makers enough time), then we are entitled to discuss this in "Zen2 architecture" topic.

So pull the topic in that direction instead. Is it forced or not? We've already seen that is not necessarily the case as higher TDP chipsets were not actively cooled in the past. So, we're actually already past that... Also no sources have been provided that AMD told anyone its required for whatever spec or feature.

I remember the tiny fan discussion on other boards as well, even as recent as Gigabyte's Gaming 7. Yet in all those topics nobody ever came to anything of substance and in practice, this type of fan is rarely, if ever, audible in a system under load. It gets drowned out by everything else, even in silent rigs. On the Gaming 7, the fan would only be active at very high VRM temps.

People saying a 55cm fan will spin at low RPM shouldn´t even visit hardware websites. Seriously, read different websites, because tech and hardware isn´t clearly your thing.

Anyway, I shouldn´t be explaining this but.... if you have a 55cm fan at low RPM, it is the same as not having one. Think about it, please.

What I see is that haters bash intel and nvidia articles with the most silly critics. But if there´s something fishy or not as good with AMD then the gang attacks and defends it to death. IMAGINE if Z390 motherboards had fans, just IMAGINE the drama on the internet if people would tell you that only high end and more expensive z390 motherboards wouldn´t have a fan.

"Haters?" *sigh*

Once you've got data that shows us these tiny fans are the major source of noise coming from any system in a test, let me know. Until then you can keep your criticism to yourself. As for that perceived difference in approach towards anything either AMD or Intel... that just depends what color of glasses you choose to wear. In both cases its usually not quite so valid or extreme as people say it is. This fan is a great example, and the Z390 chipset as a whole is another good one; yes, lots of people complained and still complain about Intel's regular chipset upgrade strategy.

Its almost as if both camps have their pros and cons. Gosh.

Last edited:
System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100

Cut the crap your post , You're the one who started this drama.

Every x570 mobo with fans?? Are we back to 2007? Cmon LoL

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
We've already seen that is not necessarily the case as higher TDP chipsets were not actively cooled in the past. So, we're actually already past that... Also no sources have been provided that AMD told anyone its required for whatever spec or feature.

You know the TDP of X570?

As I've tried to point out earlier in this thread, the chipset gets really hot when NVMe is used in RAID, hence the "need" for fans.

Just ignore him, he can't even tell the difference between mm and cm and someone that ignorant is't worth seeing in the forums.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Oh but i am interested, since i'm no fanboy unlike many in here, i don't care if it's intel or amd, or nvidia or arm or whoever you want, i'm just interested in performance, reliability and quality, rest is just blabbering for fanboys.
I was planning on upgrading to ryzen 3000 for a while now, this surely doesn't encourage me more with the upgrade, and the reasons you can find pretty much in this thread, and i've already expressed some too, even if in a rather provocative way...
Yea course you were with your amd never does anything wrong s/ comment, I believe you....

Because the 4 motherboards I seen so far all had the 2005 Fan. Simple as that. It is a meme on the internet at this point. Visit overclock net, hardforum, anandtech, etc. You will see the exact same complains.

As I've tried to point out earlier in this thread, the chipset gets really hot when NVMe is used in RAID, hence the "need" for fans.

Just ignore him, he can't even tell the difference between mm and cm and someone that ignorant is't worth seeing in the forums.

15W

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813

This +1 Another wind up merchant on my ignore list.