• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Slash its Workforce by 9 Percent, Initiate Temporary Pay Cuts

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The enthusiast market is important because it gets people talking. Let me phrase it differently: word of mouth advertising comes from the enthusiast market. When the FX processors started beating up on EE processors, FX and by association, AMD were mentioned far more frequently. The more people hear about it, the more people are likely to buy other products made by the same company. Given about a year of solid performance lead in the enthusiast market, the consumer and server markets are likely to also shift in their favor. This is what happened with the Athlon 64 line back in the 2004-2006 area. The reverse happened when everyone involved with computers started to point at how Core 2 spanked Athlon 64.

Simply put, if you are the leader of the pack for an extended period of time, it translates to better sales up and down the product lines.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
The enthusiast market is important because it gets people talking. Let me phrase it differently: word of mouth advertising comes from the enthusiast market. When the FX processors started beating up on EE processors, FX and by association, AMD were mentioned far more frequently. The more people hear about it, the more people are likely to buy other products made by the same company. Given about a year of solid performance lead in the enthusiast market, the consumer and server markets are likely to also shift in their favor. This is what happened with the Athlon 64 line back in the 2004-2006 area. The reverse happened when everyone involved with computers started to point at how Core 2 spanked Athlon 64.

Simply put, if you are the leader of the pack for an extended period of time, it translates to better sales up and down the product lines.

Yeah, true. Enthusiast community is a great marketing tool for any manufacturer. Intel has been in the lead far too long on the CPU front and that has worked wonders for them in the enthusiast community. I was hoping PII would be change that situation in a small way at least, however once all the info leaks started about 4-6 months ago I knew AMD had nothing of consequence. I don't think anything spectacular is going to happen from AMD or Intel for that matter on the CPU front for sometime. They are both in trouble financially and R&D requires plenty of green. Hard to push out a C2Q/C2Q killer when you are barely staying afloat. Global economy is in trouble on all sides and OEM's who are the primary instigators of any major change are currently struggling and do not want to take any unnecessary financial risks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see workforce cuts from Intel pretty soon. Here is an article from Chicago Tribune from few days ago. Intel earnings drop 90% as chip sales fall

At the same time, I can actually see AMD going out of business be end of the year if the economy doesn't get any better or if their Abu Dhabi investors decide NOT to throw more money their way.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
im waiting for "Ati files for bankruptcy"

So you could pay ~$800 for the next 1337 NVIDIA card? ATI is part of AMD now. Its fate is tied to AMD.

Rebo&Zooty

intel has been quietly laying people off around here from what i hear, not in large numbers, but more then many would expect, ecoimy is shit, and the govt dosnt seem to be trying to fix it, corse they all have jobs they cant easly loose so they dont see the huge rush to fix their fuckups that lead to this.......

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
So you could pay ~$800 for the next 1337 NVIDIA card? ATI is part of AMD now. Its fate is tied to AMD.

i think fitseries doesn't care because he as so much money that he doesn't know what a budget is.;)