• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Unveils New Embedded G-Series System-on-Chip

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Because at the moment, they apparently cannot scale lower than 9Watts with their x86 cores, even if they've only got two out of four activated. Using ARM cores instead of x86 while keeping the rest the same will probably allow them to go even lower than 9Watts, which is essential for things like tablets and phones, which cannot support a 9Watt TDP.

did you miss their 4.5W x86 tablet processor?
what you are saying makes no sense and is not based on actual facts. AMD already demostrated a tablet with 4.5W x86 core CPU :/

infact i can quote from the endgadget post someone just linked:
This is a huge deal for AMD, which has so far missed out on the whole low-power processor boom, never pushing any lower than the 4.5W Temash tablet chip (which works great, but isn't even out yet).

and i believe if they can work on their 22nm and 18nm manufacturing processes, they can easily bring that down to 3W.

infact AMD has already been able to get Global Foundries to make 22nm stuff.

System Name HTPC whhaaaat?
Processor 2600k @ 4500mhz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV gene-z gen3
Cooling Noctua NH-C14
Memory Gskill Ripjaw 2x4gb
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 FTW @ 2037/11016
Storage 2x512GB MX100/1x Agility 3 128gb ssds, Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) Vizio P 65'' 4k tv
Case Lian Li pc-c50b
Audio Device(s) Denon 3311
Power Supply Corsair 620HX
Just out of curiousity nay-sayers...I have two questions.

1. What are the first designs tested on any of the new process at TSMC/GF?

2. Who generally tapes out and produces graphics chips on a process first?

You don't have to believe it...even though they explicitly said it.

Just understand an ARM core is more power efficient in many applicable tasks/scenarios, there are markets AMD wants/needs to get into, some existing markets they feel ARM will work better than x86 (as Intel has indirectly shown to be the case) especially when leveraging HSA in certain power envelopes. ARM cores mean faster time to market on a given process and AMD's graphics guys are typically ready to pounce with a design ready to manufacturer as soon as a new process is open for orders. Example: Jaguar chips on Glo-flos 28nm process. Example: 110, 90, 80, 65, 55, 40 and 28nm at tsmc.

It. Just. Makes. Sense.

I don't understand the doubt. Do you really think they could do worse than Tegra?

nvidia, the company whom generally (gk104 excluded) makes bloated gpus generally not well-designed for the voltage/clock/power/bandwidth specifics of a process surprisingly has ARM chips that under-perform in a given power envelope or use too much power for typical ARM platforms. AMD, the people that took on a 576mm chip with one measuring 256mm and won by leveraging those same specifics, and generally that set up all their chips (apus included) to use bw up as efficiently (Tahiti at stock excluded) as freaking possible want a piece of that market. They are going to challenge, and perhaps personally help forge a way against whatever proprietary crap nvidia/intel attempts to instill on this emerging market with open standards along with a gigantic host of other important players.

Again...not getting how people aren't excited. This...is good. We want this. :confused:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I'm not saying that they're not doing it as this point. I'm just saying that practically nothing has been said about it so I suspect that their 2013/2014 timeframe is going to be more like 2014 or later. I completely believe that they're designing an ARM based CPU but I don't think we'll see it soon. The rumor mill also has been churning up the possibility that Apple is thinking about moving their laptop platforms to ARM-based processors but I think that's all rumor and speculation. It does make you wonder though, but I think if anything big happens it is going to be further down the road.

it doesn't matter if it is 10x faster that an Intel or Nvidia equivalent, people will still not buy them. most of them are uneducated and dumb on the matter, they only heard of Intel and NV, and that's what they want.
poor AMD marketing is on of the culprits.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
it doesn't matter if it is 10x faster that an Intel or Nvidia equivalent, people will still not buy them. most of them are uneducated and dumb on the matter, they only heard of Intel and NV, and that's what they want.
poor AMD marketing is on of the culprits.

Most of them also have their HDD pre-formatted to have two partitions. Then they cry about their disk being full w/ 215KiB free in C: disk and disk D: being 99.9% empty.

In other words, world goes like this:
Code:
if (client->cash > 9001)
	salesman(tosell->top_intel_nvidia);
else if (client->cash > MEH)
	salesman(tosell->midlow_intel_nvidia);
else
	salesman(tosell->amd);

Surprised this wasnt included in the post.

Last edited by a moderator: