• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Vishera Packs Quad-Channel DDR3 IMC, G34 En Route Desktop?

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD might be a little sore that its "Zambezi" FX processor family based on its much-hyped "Bulldozer" architecture didn't quite meet the performance expectations of a ground-up new CPU architecture, but it doesn't want to take chances and build hype around the architecture that succeeds it. From various sources, some faintly-reliable, we have been hearing that the next-generation of high-performance desktop processors based on "Piledriver" architecture, codenamed "Vishera", will pack five modules or 10 cores, and will be structured essentially like Zambezi, since Piledriver is basically a refinement of Bulldozer architecture. The latest leak comes from the Software Optimization Guide for AMD 15h family (read here), which was picked up by CPU World while most of us were busy with CES.

CPU World compiled most of the features of what it suspected to be AMD referring to its future processors based on the Piledriver architecture, that's "Vishera" (desktop high-performance), "Terramar" (high-density server), and "Sepang" (small-medium business server) parts. The three are not the first chips to be based on Piledriver, AMD has a new mainstream desktop and notebook APU in the works codenamed "Trinity", which is en route for a little later this year. Trinity basically has an identical CPUID instruction-set as Vishera, Terramar, and Sepang, confirming their common lineage compared to today's "Bulldozer" architecture. The most catchy detail is of Vishera featuring 4 DDR3 channels.

The plot thickens where "HyperTransport Assist feature" is listed as being supported on Vishera. HT Assist is a feature found on AMD's enterprise socket G34 processors, which facilitates better inter-die communication between the two dies of a typical socket G34 Opteron processor. The G34 (LGA1972) package is a multi-chip module of two quad-core, six-core, or four-module dies, which combined have four DDR3 memory channels, and a number of HyperTransport links to communicate with neighbouring sockets and the system's chipset. Could this be the first indication that AMD wants to take on Intel LGA2011 HEDT (high-end desktop) using Vishera chips in the G34 package? It will be a while before we find out.

Apart from using common silicon between client and enterprise platforms, AMD does have a history of colliding the two.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Hustler

Well unless Vishera's IPC increases by about 50% over Bulldozer, they may as well not bother, no matter how many cores they shove into it to try and disguise it's shortcomings.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
So does this mean AMD will change their sockets finally?

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Well unless Vishera's IPC increases by about 50% over Bulldozer, they may as well not bother, no matter how many cores they shove into it to try and disguise it's shortcomings.

50% ? I doubt it, more like 15-20%, but that's just my guess.

instead of adding more cores they must improve preformance per clock or this is all going
to be another amd joke , a deadly joke to the future of amd's cpu market

Hustler

Given that Bulldozer's IPC is between 5-10% slower than the Phenom II, increasing Vishera's IPC by 15-20% will only make it about 10% faster than Phenom II (on average)...clock for clock.

Like i said, unless you approach an IPC increase of 50% or so, it's going to be seen as a failure, and even with a 50% increase, that will still only bring it up to par with a 2500k (perhaps a little faster).

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
so like 939 days we can see Optys for desktop too?

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I disagree. Bulldozer's issues are boil down to single thread/single core performance and issues with code using older instruction sets. Those are a result of less than optimal core design due to their switch to an automated layout system.

They need to increase L2 cache speed, improve memory throughput more, and bring up low thread count/single core performance by at least 35%. The latter being the most important. Bulldozer is a great chip when all cores are being utilized and scales well. When you through tasks at it that only use 1 thread, or half the available threads with older instruction sets, it chokes.

I have no issues gaming on my Bulldozer except for the whole Deus Ex HR BSOD my rig due to BIOS issues. That is GIGABYTE's fault mostly. What is AMD's fault is when it was working on the older BIOS versions, my FX-8150 came in well behind my 1100T cause the game (for me) ran on 1 thread/core. Insert BF3 (runs at least 4 threads) and the FX-8150 will go toe to toe with a i7 2600. Its that strange behavior and wild swings in performance due to thread count that need to be addressed, not bring quad-channeled memory to desktop space.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
im bored of hearing how AMD need to trounce intel with their next cpu, what rubbish, it needs to be good enough to play games and surf plus a bit of transcodeing ,now and again for me and hence BD as it is would do so PD/vishera weva dosnt require 50%(daydreaming improvement),ive given up playing most of the games that run shit on it anyway (single threaded's so last decade),

all these people winging about BD better be folding or cryunching 24/7 as if your pc sits doing nowt while you workin then is only on to game and surf and your still moaning about BD your not right in the head, its like a cyclist moaning about car insurance going up wtf is the point

do these moaners have a CRAY in their bedroom NO, just an intel 2600K ,no doubt wasted on em

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I disagree. Bulldozer's issues are boil down to single thread/single core performance and issues with code using older instruction sets. Those are a result of less than optimal core design due to their switch to an automated layout system.

They need to increase L2 cache speed, improve memory throughput more, and bring up low thread count/single core performance by at least 35%. The latter being the most important. Bulldozer is a great chip when all cores are being utilized and scales well. When you through tasks at it that only use 1 thread, or half the available threads with older instruction sets, it chokes.

I have no issues gaming on my Bulldozer except for the whole Deus Ex HR BSOD my rig due to BIOS issues. That is GIGABYTE's fault mostly. What is AMD's fault is when it was working on the older BIOS versions, my FX-8150 came in well behind my 1100T cause the game (for me) ran on 1 thread/core. Insert BF3 (runs at least 4 threads) and the FX-8150 will go toe to toe with a i7 2600. Its that strange behavior and wild swings in performance due to thread count that need to be addressed, not bring quad-channeled memory to desktop space.

BIOS BSOD on a game? ORLY......

The BD architecture is completely memory dependent, thats why the tests with higher speed memory fared better than those with memory speeds equaling the Intel systems. Intel has at least 50% of their lead due to much better branch prediction and internal data management, the easiest way to make up for this is more cache at faster speed, and more memory bandwidth as it cuts down the number of idle cycles in soft fault.

System Name As Himself
Processor 2700X
Motherboard Asrock 370X ThaiChi
Cooling Custom Liquid
Memory 4133MHz Team
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 512 SSD's
Display(s) Asus "24 144Hz
Case Tt P5
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence One Muses/Sparkos
Power Supply EVGA 1200
Mouse RAT ProX
Keyboard Drop CTRL
Software W10 steam futuremark
is this saying that vashira is going to be 4-4170 bulldozers on a single chip using hyper transport to aid it???

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
BIOS BSOD on a game? ORLY......

The BD architecture is completely memory dependent, thats why the tests with higher speed memory fared better than those with memory speeds equaling the Intel systems. Intel has at least 50% of their lead due to much better branch prediction and internal data management, the easiest way to make up for this is more cache at faster speed, and more memory bandwidth as it cuts down the number of idle cycles in soft fault.

In short for those that don't want to read. I want AMD to not take the easy way out and refine their new architecture, not hide behind tricks to drive competition. They need to turn Bulldozer/Piledriver into something software developers want to utilize to optimize software due to its design. If they could say because are chip is built this way, you could do this and that to reduce instruction fetches or executions or whatever to make your software run faster.

Good enough, fine for what i use it for, I am a gamer and it doesn't matter should not be statements we use to defend the purchase of AMD. They need to first refine the architecture to remove weaknesses and level out its performance across the board. Why? Because not every piece of software is going to follow the more threads the better trend. Some stuff don't need more than 1 or 2 threads and Bulldozer should run those just as well as a program that uses 6 or 8 threads.

Once they have done that they need something, anything they can market as, "With AMD you can do this task much faster" I don't even thing it matters what that one thing is at this point as long as they have a benefit to pick them over Intel to market. Intel has Quick Sync on top of being the big dog. AMD needs to be able to say, "Our chip is more than good enough. It is just as good across the board as Intel and with AMD Super Awesome all single thread applications run 35% faster thanks to blah blah blah."

In short, then need to stop trying to build a faster sports car and concentrate on improving/innovations on their entire vehicle line up from the cheapest compact to the most task specific 3.25 ton truck.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Wonder if microsoft has already begun working on a patch....

System Name AMD FX
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB Corsair Vegance 1866
Video Card(s) AMD HD7970 Gigabyte
Storage Sandisk Extreme SSD, 500gb SG Sata
Display(s) Samsung 2333sw
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
instead of adding more cores they must improve preformance per clock or this is all going

AMD bulldozer is no joke when it comes to serious multi thread and gets even better as you push it, only problem is single thread stuff and whos buying an 8 core cpu for single thread these days.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Increasing performance per clock is ideal, but considering adding two extra cores will still compensate and bring performance more inline to Intel. The multi threaded performance will be off the chain. And remember Piledriver is going to be upto 30% faster ontop of this.

As far as I'm concerend this is a good thing, if the price is right.

Why should AMD dumb down their architecture, when the problem is obviously the sofware developers, more specifically the games developers.

Edit:

I'm curious to find out whether quad channel memory will improve performance. Many have said AMD in general lacks memory bandwidth. We shall see. Does that mean we have to move away from AM3+ to enjoy quad channel?

piledriver better be on am3+ as its the reason i picked up a 990fx board, i was about to get a 8150p for myself but was holding off as there was rumours of another BD Revision coming and PD is very soon.

Piledriver is definitely on AM3+, its on the old roadmap.

But will the quad channel Piledriver be on AM3+ or is that on the new socket?

Last edited:
System Name AMD FX
Cooling Corsair H100
Case HAF 922
piledriver better be on am3+ as its the reason i picked up a 990fx board, i was about to get a 8150p for myself but was holding off as there was rumours of another BD Revision coming and PD is very soon.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
All you need to know about bulldozer is SSE4.1, AVX and FMA.

Intel has always had ICC make AMD use SSE2 (along with unoptimized libraries), now it's more important than ever.

Read up how bulldozer performs when using those instructions :)

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Wow, it doesn't matter if it can make you look like superman with those instructions if no one uses them for anything that matters.

Adding two more cores and the energy consumption will raise by that factor, and there is only so much heat it can stand before electromigration destroys it, before the power supply pins start to detach as the solder softens, before the cooling solution no longer provides the thermal dissipation needed to cool the package.

faramir

With refinement of 32 nm manufacturing process at Global Foundries and AMD's better understanding of operation of Bulldozer at 4+ GHz (it is their first chip clocked that fast aftrerall) they are more likely going to be able to reach the targeted clockspeeds so some IPC gains and some clockrate gains could translate into significant gain.

Granted, AMD needs to improve IPC rate of their new architecture in order to be able to keep up with Intel but the architecture itself was devised to be a "speed demon" so it makes sense to expect higher clock rates.

AMD bulldozer is no joke when it comes to serious multi thread and gets even better as you push it, only problem is single thread stuff and whos buying an 8 core cpu for single thread these days.

The reason why bulldozer is a joke is because on the same clock with the same number of cores it has worse preformance than a phenom ii not better how can a new 32nm cpu with the same number of cores be worse than 45nm cpu, amd had to be really stupid to do something like this.

Last edited:
System Name AMD FX
Cooling Corsair H100
Case HAF 922
rubbish im on a 1090t @4ghz 3ghz Nb htt 2600 and i built a system for a customer the other day 8120p on cheaper 970 chipset overclocked to 4ghz on stock volts no other tweaks and the BD smoked mine , the main tests were 3dMark11 abit of memory testing etc. no single thread tests tho.

rubbish im on a 1090t @4ghz 3ghz nb htt 2600 and i built a system for a customer the other day 8120p on cheaper 970 chipset overclocked to 4ghz on stock volts no other tweaks and the bd smoked mine , the main tests were 3dmark11 abit of memory testing etc. No single thread tests tho.

use only 6 cores vs 6 cores to compare like fx-6100 vs 1090

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
I want to know what IOMMU is.

Anyone?

System Name AMD FX
Cooling Corsair H100
Case HAF 922
its for VMWare etc to access graphics i believe?

Processor Xeon E5 1650 V4
Motherboard MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Cooling HYPER 212 EVO
Memory 64gb DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) XFX RADEON RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung PM951 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) LG 34" Ultrawide + AOC 27"
Power Supply EVGA 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Dell SK-8135
how exactly do they plan to fit a g34 socket and 4 channels of memory on a single atx board?