• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Zen" Based APUs Later This Year

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
An AMD representative, responding to a Reddit question on AMD Ryzen branding, confirmed that the company will launch Mobile SoCs (APUs) based on the "Zen" micro-architecture later this year. The logical next-step for AMD with "Zen" beyond "Summit Ridge" has been to combine one or more quad-core "Zen" CCX (CPU complexes) with an integrated graphics core based on one of its newer GPU architectures ("Polaris" or "Vega").

The AMD representative confirmed that the company will launch mobile SoCs that combine "Zen" CPU cores with an integrated GPU, in the second half of 2017. This could hint at the availability of "Zen" powered notebooks, of all shapes and sizes by Holiday 2017. Over the year, AMD will begin launching "Zen" based products, starting off with 8-core high-end Ryzen 7 processors on March 2nd, six-core and some of the higher-end quad-core Ryzen 5 series processors in Q2-2017, and some of the lower-end quad-core Ryzen 3 parts in the second-half of 2017, now joined by mobile SoCs around the same time.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Who wants to bet they're gonna use this APU for "next gen" console of Microsoft or Sony? :p

PS5 Pro Boost Cloud. Calling it now.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Microsoft Ryzen 360

Who wants to bet they're gonna use this APU for "next gen" console of Microsoft or Sony? :p
with Ryzen's leaked performance, count me as another buyer =)
8c/16t 65w Zen++ with VEGA (or NAVI and HBM2) sounds great, light years ahead of switch...

if you think the Switch is about performance you are not in the target-segment anyways. Nintendo's consoles has never been about performance, its about gameplay and accessibility.

I need Intel or AMD to come up with a processor that's at least slightly more powerful then Intel's Core M processors, that could go into a fanless tablet/2 in 1 device, for a combination of complete silence AND excellent battery life.

If a company can come up with something like that this year, that's my next portable device.

Also, a Thunderbolt 3 + USB C port and an SD card slot would be great. I always love the option of being able to upgrade storage when possible, if that's an option.

System Name maxedoutgamer
Processor i5-4670k @4.2ghz
Motherboard Asrock z87
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB ddr3 2133
Video Card(s) gtx 1080 (Palit Jetstream)
Storage 512GB Samsung 840pro
Display(s) Acer B286HK - 4K, baby
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply evga nex650g
Benchmark Scores eeeexcelent
Either you are console gamer or PC gamer, either you are AMD fanboi or intels... Ryzen (as we know about it so far) is the best thing that happened tough you - like in a decade. Ryzen offers unseen (for a long time) performance/costs increase so either device or market it will make just much more competitive... I for example amd intel fanboi and PC gamer (I say shyt like "you poor console peasants" all the time)... I will never use apu, nor console nor AMD cpu... but this Ryzen will make intels chips either cheaper or give more performance, it will open new possibilities for developers to make somewhat adequate those damn console ports I am playing on my PC. go AMD !!!

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
APU with Zen and Vega and HBM2 on die (that's what some of the leaks are talking about, surely that would NOT be the only option) has my name on it.

PS5 => 100% chances
XBone II (Scorpio) => 0% chances (at least if I get what CEO is saying about "no custom Zen based solutions until 2018") it is likely using Polaris though

System Name Steam Deck LCD
Processor AMD Van Gogh 4-Core 8-Threads
Motherboard Stock
Cooling Stock + MX4 Thermal Paste
Memory 16GB DDR5 5500
Video Card(s) AMD Van Gogh 8 CUs
Storage 512GB NVMe + 512GB MicroSD
Display(s) 7" 800p | LG 34" Ultrawide + 27" both 75Hz | 58" UHD TV
Case Stock + Airflow Backplate (5C less and a lot less noise)
Audio Device(s) Jabra Elite 65T Bluetooth Headphones | 50W Sound Bar
Power Supply Stock
Mouse Logitech MX-Master 3 Bluetooth | PS4 controller (because gyro)
Keyboard Logitech MX-Keys Bluetooth
Software SteamOS
If they release an APU with 4C/8T and with an iGPU as good as RX460, then I'm in for a new miniITX PC without dedicated GPU. It could be the best console replacement ever.

APU with Zen and Vega and HBM2 on die (that's what some of the leaks are talking about, surely that would NOT be the only option) has my name on it.

PS5 => 100% chances
XBone II (Scorpio) => 0% chances (at least if I get what CEO is saying about "no custom Zen based solutions until 2018") it is likely using Polaris though

No way. You guys are too far from the current reality. Scorpio is coming with a 6tflop GPU.

PlayStation 5 gen will aim for sure for 4k @ 60fps. In 2019/2020 we will already have good enough GPU power for that and HDMI 2.1 will help smoothing framerates aswell.

The next gen consoles imo will be the closest ever to PC performance. The gap is shrinking more and more, and the fact that after 4k 60hz it doesn´t matter anymore, also helps. Soon the Nvidia vs AMD battle won´t be on PCs, trust me, it will be on consoles. Nvidia already powering a console too (nintendo) and doing consoles themselves (shield). It´s the market trend.

Sure, by 2020 your PC can do 4k @ 144hz on many games, but does it really matter anymore past that point? We will reach a stall eventually and it all will point towards HDR performances, VR (if it suceeds), frame interpolation with low input lag, synchronization technologies, etc etc.

Last edited:
If they release an APU with 4C/8T and with an iGPU as good as RX460, then I'm in for a new miniITX PC without dedicated GPU. It could be the best console replacement ever.

That would be awesome. Imagine a mini cube PC (just like Intel NUCs) with a 4/4 CPU clocked at 2,5ghz to 3ghz + RX460 performance (for low power consumption) with HDMI 2.0 and plenty of USB ports for wireless peripherals. Priceless!

System Name Steam Deck LCD
Processor AMD Van Gogh 4-Core 8-Threads
Motherboard Stock
Cooling Stock + MX4 Thermal Paste
Memory 16GB DDR5 5500
Video Card(s) AMD Van Gogh 8 CUs
Storage 512GB NVMe + 512GB MicroSD
Display(s) 7" 800p | LG 34" Ultrawide + 27" both 75Hz | 58" UHD TV
Case Stock + Airflow Backplate (5C less and a lot less noise)
Audio Device(s) Jabra Elite 65T Bluetooth Headphones | 50W Sound Bar
Power Supply Stock
Mouse Logitech MX-Master 3 Bluetooth | PS4 controller (because gyro)
Keyboard Logitech MX-Keys Bluetooth
Software SteamOS
That would be awesome. Imagine a mini cube PC (just like Intel NUCs) with a 4/4 CPU clocked at 2,5ghz to 3ghz + RX460 performance (for low power consumption) with HDMI 2.0 and plenty of USB ports for wireless peripherals. Priceless!

No one would want consoles anymore. Pretty sure such a PC with RAM, SSD, Mobo and a 90W psu+case combo would not go for more than 400. And being a PC has limitless possibilities of use, not just gaming.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
And I am sure that AMD will enforce quality standards for their machines....

Oh who am I kidding? AMD will let OEMs throw their chips in laptops with inadequate cooling solutions, single channel memory, TDP limitations, 768p tn screens, and the finest 5200RPM hard drives money can buy, just like with richland, and kaveri, and carizo, and bristol ridge.

AMD needs to take charge, force OEMs to make decent products with AMD inside, or go through clevo or MSI for their laptop designs. The plastic junk that dell, hp, lenovo et al throw AMD into isnt worth its weight in garbage.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Either an Intel i5 or a Zen-based APU is going to be in my HTPC upgrade. So let's see how things shake out.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Oh who am I kidding? AMD will let OEMs throw their chips in laptops with inadequate cooling solutions, single channel memory, TDP limitations, 768p tn screens, and the finest 5200RPM hard drives money can buy, just like with richland, and kaveri, and carizo, and bristol ridge.

There are intel machines with above, mind you.

AMDs problem was that it was irrelevant in mid-high end machines (actually carrizo was pretty good for mid machines, but "mindshare" and whatever). Now we have a different situation.

The next gen consoles imo will be the closest ever to PC performance
Good half of the PC gamers are on slower than consoles (PS4, let alone PS4 Pro) machines.

No one would want consoles anymore.
PC gaming is simply not suited for "sofa gaming"
People could buy SFF pre built PCs for ages it has no effect on consoles.

There are intel machines with above, mind you.

AMDs problem was that it was irrelevant in mid-high end machines (actually carrizo was pretty good for mid machines, but "mindshare" and whatever). Now we have a different situation.

Good half of the PC gamers are on slower than consoles (PS4, let alone PS4 Pro) machines.

PC gaming is simply not suited for "sofa gaming"
People could buy SFF pre built PCs for ages it has no effect on consoles.

Is hard to find people like you that expose the facts like you did there. I salute you my friend, because you´re on a hardware website not bashing consoles and understanding them and their purpose... thumbs up!

Also want to add to what you said, that by November with Xbox Scorpio you will have more console gamers using a 6tflop GPU than PC gamers, according to steam stats (only 2% use 6tflops and above)

No way. You guys are too far from the current reality. Scorpio is coming with a 6tflop GPU.

PlayStation 5 gen will aim for sure for 4k @ 60fps. In 2019/2020 we will already have good enough GPU power for that and HDMI 2.1 will help smoothing framerates aswell.

The next gen consoles imo will be the closest ever to PC performance. The gap is shrinking more and more, and the fact that after 4k 60hz it doesn´t matter anymore, also helps. Soon the Nvidia vs AMD battle won´t be on PCs, trust me, it will be on consoles. Nvidia already powering a console too (nintendo) and doing consoles themselves (shield). It´s the market trend.

Sure, by 2020 your PC can do 4k @ 144hz on many games, but does it really matter anymore past that point? We will reach a stall eventually and it all will point towards HDR performances, VR (if it suceeds), frame interpolation with low input lag, synchronization technologies, etc etc.

The gap is not shrinking, it's just that PC is getting more of garbage ports which run like crap instead of consoles actually gaining. And when you taste 144Hz, everything else seems to feel like slow motion. Consoles won't run at 4K for a while. I mean, even top of the line PC's still kinda struggle with it and they are running Vulkan (Doom for example) which is essentially console level of integration and you're going to say consoles will run it? They just won't. And even if they will, just barely, meaning they'll hit framerate issues way faster than 1080p (more like 720p) consoles did during their life cycle.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
AMD needs to take charge, force OEMs to make decent products with AMD inside, or go through clevo or MSI for their laptop designs. The plastic junk that dell, hp, lenovo et al throw AMD into isnt worth its weight in garbage.
AMD needs to make their own laptop brand. They have every part needed, they had branded ram, branded SSDs, they make their own cpus, apus and gpus...

The gap is not shrinking, it's just that PC is getting more of garbage ports which run like crap instead of consoles actually gaining. And when you taste 144Hz, everything else seems to feel like slow motion. Consoles won't run at 4K for a while. I mean, even top of the line PC's still kinda struggle with it and they are running Vulkan (Doom for example) which is essentially console level of integration and you're going to say consoles will run it? They just won't. And even if they will, just barely, meaning they'll hit framerate issues way faster than 1080p (more like 720p) consoles did during their life cycle.

Oh dear.. here we go again....

Let me explain you some stuff. I do own a 144hz monitor and I do love playing on it, but that´s more for first person shooters or games controlled with a mouse. In all honestly when I´m sitting on a couch with a controller I don´t care about 144hz, 60fps are plenty to me. Also did you look at HDMI 2.1? The next protocal that will provide you 120fps smoothness even with the GPU output of 60fps only, without any increased input lag.

I reccomend you to read on that matter. It will also provide Gsync/Freesync similar technology to synch frames. It will be present on next gen consoles and it will be present on the new TV models from this year already, 2018 being the mainstream adoption.

Consoles won´t run 4k for a while? Did you actually know consoles already run 4k games? Sure, few: Fifa 17, PES 2017, NBA 2k, Little Big PLanet 3, Stardew Valley. Very few, but they already do it indeed, and at 60fps.

You´re talking about 90% of the games? Surely not, but I´m talking about year 2020, in 3 years don´t you think we will have more than capable GPUs of running 4k 60fps with decent graphic fidelity? (textures, lightning). I´m not talking about 2017.

Also, to make it clear, when I say consoles are catching up, I´m not saying they are getting better than PC. PC was, is and always will be the best performance platform. What I´m saying is that right now we are reaching a stall of techonolgy regarding frame rates and resolutions. When you get to 4k 60fps with HDMI 2.1 smoothness, there isn´t really much more to do. Sure you will have GPUs capable of 8k, but that´s it. Don´t expect higher resolutions to matter anymore. And even 8k is debatable on smaller screens tbh.

If you think that by 2020 when next gen consoles arrive, we will still be at 1080p 30fps/60fps, you are really wrong. By 2018 you will already be able to play 4k 60fps on your PC with a single GPU (btw gtx 1080ti is coming soon, so maybe you can do this even this year). So is to expect that a console on 2020 can already do this. And when a console provides you with 4k 60fps there is nothing else to do. It will be all about software wars and inovation wars, not performance. That´s why you are seeing Nvidia jumping on the console boat, there´s a reason for that. Don´t expect AMD to take PS5 or Xbox easily like they did this gen. Nvidia will for sure enter the fight, because the money is there! PS4 beating every videogame industry right now and surprassing stuff like NES; Genesis and PS2, shows it. The future won´t be decided by hardware performance anymore, it will be decided by games, software, exclusive deals.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Lol, consoles can BARELY run 1080 and you think they'll do 4K? No. You can triple the power and they still can't do 4K. Deal with it.

Microsoft is lying. I'm sure they'll push a couple simple games with shit post processing to achieve native 4K at 25 fps for marketing, but that's pathetic. Scorpio is another dud.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High

Actually the console are further and further away from PC performance than before. PS4 and XBOX One are still trying to get 1080P @ 60FPS performance in all games. PC can do that with a GTX 1060 class video card easily. Who knows how long it takes them to do 4K @ 60FPS or 144?

Lol, consoles can BARELY run 1080 and you think they'll do 4K? No. You can triple the power and they still can't do 4K. Deal with it.

Microsoft is lying. I'm sure they'll push a couple simple games with shit post processing to achieve native 4K at 25 fps for marketing, but that's pathetic. Scorpio is another dud.

Im not talking about scorpio, Im talking about 2020 consoles, Damn you guys get so nervous when console is mentioned here!

Actually the console are further and further away from PC performance than before. PS4 and XBOX One are still trying to get 1080P @ 60FPS performance in all games. PC can do that with a GTX 1060 class video card easily. Who knows how long it takes them to do 4K @ 60FPS or 144?

You are wrong. Never in videogames history a console was so close to PC performance. Remember PS3 and x360 running games at 480p upscaled to 720p 30fps with 20fps dips, while on PC we were running 1080p 30fps on most titles, or 720p 60fps? Remember PS2 struggling to run god of war or medal of honor while on PC we had stuff like Crysis 1 and HDMI port GPUs? Remember PS1 struggling to deliver on Tomb Raider 24fps, while on PC we would be running it and Quake at 1280x1024 60fps?

PC always were far superior to consoles, and right now the difference is the smallest ever. No way in the past a game on PC vs console side by side would show such little improvement on graphic fidelity. In the past, 6 months were enough to evolve A LOT hardware wise, be it CPUs or GPUs. Right now is way slower, look how newest Intel chips have little improvements over 7 years chip.

Look how much time we have a 500€ gpu like gtx 1070 on the market, wich can barely run 1440p @ 144hz.

You guys get way too nervous when someone mentions consoles on these forums. I´m dealing with PC hardware for more than 25 years since Alley Cat on CGA monitors, and I´m more open minded than you.