• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD "Zen" Processors to Feature SMT, Support up to 8 DDR4 Memory Channels

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Here is the thing with news about Zen. What we see isn't anything that is going to be available on the desktop market. "Up to" 32 Cores, we'll never see that on the desktop market. 8 DDR4 Channels, we'll never see that on the desktop market. There are already 16-core Bulldozer processors, but we don't see them on the desktop market.

For the sake of competition I hope Mr. Keller delivered magic.

I don't think he had to deliver magic, he just had to do what he was good at doing. AMD doesn't have to top Intel, and it probably won't. If they can get something out that is competitive with an 115X i7, then they will be in a good position, and I think(or hope) Jim Keller is capable of that.

What I think we will see on the desktop market is:

Up-To 8 Zen Cores with SMT for 16 threads
Up-To 4 DDR4 memory channels

But I don't think they are going to break the market up into the mainstream and HEDT like Intel does. Instead I think they will go with some kind of middle ground. So we'll likely see:

2-Core w/ SMT
4-Core w/out SMT
4-Core w/ SMT
8-Core w/out SMT
8-Core w/ SMT

I also think we'll see the motherboards that look more like the standard ATX boards we are used to with 115X, with only 4 RAM slots. Even if the boards support 4-Channel DDR4. You just have to populate all 4 slots if you want 4-Channel, if you only populate 2 slots, you get dual-channel(with a not so big performance hit, I'm guessing). Of course I'm sure we'll see the big players release HEDT motherboards with 8 RAM slots too, like the HEDT 2011, the difference will be they will still be using the same socket.

And I think that is the key for AMD, no matter what, they have to keep their desktop market all on the same socket. They can't try to break it up like Intel and AMD have been doing in the past. They tried to break it up with bulldozer, and have the HEDT market on AM3+ and the APU/Mainstream desktop market on FM2/+, and it didn't work. AMD has marketed on upgradability in the past. That is part of what made them a good choice. You would buy an AM2+ or even AM2 motherboard, and when AM3 processor came out you didn't have to replace your entire motherboard. When AM3+ came out, you could replace your motherboard and keep your AM3 processor. This allowed people to upgrade in steps instead of needing to replace the motherboard and processor all at once. You can buy a low end Zen computer, and stick one of the cheap processors in it to start, then when you save up a little more funds, you upgrade to the 8-Core monster.

I never did like the words "up to" it's very fishy.

32 cores even on 14nm is a tall order, it'll be clocked awfully low if they want to keep a 140W TDP. Not that they're afraid of a higher TDP..

If a consumer Zen 16 core releases we'll either have a low clocked 16 core or another high TDP AMD CPU, upwards of 220W I expect.

Obviously this is all speculation and depends on if we believe that AMD's 40% ipc improvement is fact.

40% sounds exactly like what you would expect if you turned the bulldozer cores into proper cores.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I haven't seen a Displayport to HDMI2.0 adapter yet that was cheaper than $30.

Just look at the latest 980Ti Matrix benchmark here on TPU. It beats the Fury X by 17% at 4K. Sure, HBM provides more memory bandwidth than GDDR5, but when the overall card is still slower what's the point?
I get a nice discount the markup on adapters is ridiculous.

40% IPC improvement over A10-7870K. Hope this is true as it will definitely bring Zen on par with Haswell at minimum.

Entirely disagree: a 40% IPC boost means that the "next-gen" Zen will be still underperforming in both single- and multi-threaded tasks when compared to an out-of-date Haswell.

In other words, and much to my disappointment because I don't fancy a world where Intel is king of the hill, AMD's best effort will still trail Haswell in IPC (by quite a lot) AND Skylake (+Skylake refresh) when Zen arrives.

This will be a very poor showing for AMD. In fact it will be the last nail in the coffin for a company that has done its utmost to drive itself into the ground.

I am not an AMD or Intel fan boy, I am pro-market, and FWIW, AMD has been run by people who - to ensure that they aren't kicked out of office - have cared only about the stock value in the short term, and failed to see what the company would be selling 1-, 3- even 5- years ahead. The only thing AMD management has been able to do so far is shore up its defences for its own demise. Even the creation of the Radeon Technologies Group is a way for management to secure some form of revenue in case the company goes tits-up. When things get worse, AMD has packaged all its worthwhile assets in a nice little parcel with a perky little bow on top, ready to be sold off to the highest bidder. I am sure this is a condition the stockholders demanded be met to ensure support.

When Zen comes out (and fails) it will be a short hop to the "we are now a fabless graphics technology semiconductor design company" announcement, "available to license our graphics technology to anyone who wishes to acquire a license", who will adopt an ARM-like strategy towards the market. AMD will be no more and RTG will be its spiritual successor. Heads will roll, golden umbrellas will be paid, Chapter 13 will be filed, AMD restructured, x86/AMD64 people laid off and only RTG will remain, which will then be sold off.

I'm just speculating here, but Zen would've been a hit... like in mid-2015. Not in early 2017.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
For the sake of competition I hope Mr. Keller delivered magic.

He's a very talented man and I'm sure he did the best job he could but AMD just doesn't have the R&D budget that Intel has. That is why I'm skeptical that Zen will be good competition for Intel chips. We may never know what was said between Keller and Lisa Su but I suspect that once Keller went back to work for AMD he saw that they had no real focus on what would come after Zen and that they basically are just trying to survive until 2019 when one of their big debts comes due. Keller had no reason to remain with AMD if they aren't planning something for after Zen.

AMD faces difficulties even if Zen is good competition for Kaby Lake and Cannonlake. They will probably have to sell the Zen chips to computer manufacturers for cheap prices just to get them to use AMD chips and their strategy of selling cheap just puts them further in the red. Hell, they have the console market all to themselves and they posted their largest losses to date in 2015. I don't know what they are making per console for their chips but I suspect they aren't making much.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Entirely disagree: a 40% IPC boost means that the "next-gen" Zen will be still underperforming in both single- and multi-threaded tasks when compared to an out-of-date Haswell.

In other words, and much to my disappointment because I don't fancy a world where Intel is king of the hill, AMD's best effort will still trail Haswell in IPC (by quite a lot) AND Skylake (+Skylake refresh) when Zen arrives.

Underperforming compared to haswell in single threaded, yes probably still a little. However, the multi-threaded tasks should beat haswell without a problem. The 8-Core AMD parts are already within spitting distance of a 4790K in multi-threading when both are clocked the same. My multi-threading scores on a 4.6GHz FX-8350 are only about 10% behind my scores on a i7-4970k. So if they bring the single threaded performance up 40%, the multi-threaded will easily beat a 4790K and likely a 6700k as well.

Kevin-HTPC

AMD can’t compete with Intel when it comes to CPU reliant tasks, but on average AMD Kaveri APU’s outperform Intel’s latest Skylake processors when it comes to gaming (without dedicated graphics).

Admittedly performance isn’t ground-breaking, but from my own personal tests the A10-7800 can average around 37fps in Battlefield 4 at 1680x900 on medium settings, compared to the similarly priced Intel Core i3-6100 which gets around 24fps on the same settings. In Grid 2 the A10-7800 achieves 35fps at 1920x1080 on high settings, compared to 18fps for the i3-6100. But games which are more CPU dependant such as Far Cry 3 the gap is smaller with the A10-7800 hitting 20fps at 1680x900 on medium settings and the i3-6100 averaging at 18fps.

So depending on what type of system you are trying to build the AMD Kaveri chips can offer good value.

If AMD can improve on Kaveri IPC by 40% and also further improve on the integrated Radeon graphics, plus add in extra features such as H.265 decoding, then AMD could have the first APU that can be used for more than just casual gaming, allowing you to build a very small system that can do a bit of everything.

I think a well-balanced APU with ‘good enough’ processing and ‘good enough’ graphics at a low price point will appeal to a large market, not everyone is interested in absolute performance and that final 10% or 20% of performance for much higher cost, but instead are interested in smaller computers with a good media/gaming experience at low to medium price points.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
AMD still playing catch up.
A 40% improvement in IPC will still leave them behind Intel.

Competitive mid range is all we need.
AMD was stuck on 28nm for too long.

Nvidia has slightly superior but generally fair prices to their producs, it's mainly Intel the ones that are being absolutely abusive and inmobile about them.

Let's compare 960 vs 380, shall we?
amazon.de

960 is 230Euro-ish
380 is slightly below that

For 10% faster, 20% more power hungry chip. (that not even taking into account "TDP target" feature of AMD, that allows you to downscale chip a bit for not so demanding games)

Maybe high range-ish?
980 vs Fury Nano

On par power consumption, faster yet cheaper Nano with unique features.

What is fair about that?

It isn't like AMD doesn't jack up their prices when they can. It feels like everyone forgets the $1,000 FX-57 and FX-60. When AMD has the lead, they are real quick to jack up those prices.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57: The Fastest Single Core
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1722/2

PS
Remind me Intel EE costs pretty please.

Intel's $1,000 parts are very top end parts too. The point is, as soon as AMD can, it will jack up its prices. They aren't selling cheap CPUs because they want to.
Back in 2004-5 I've upgraded to Athlon64 X2, new mobo, new mem, new CPU. All under 220$.
So, nope.

Nvidia has beaten AMD in almost every DX11 game out there.
What, on earth, are you talking about?

Last edited:
Underperforming compared to haswell in single threaded, yes probably still a little. However, the multi-threaded tasks should beat haswell without a problem. The 8-Core AMD parts are already within spitting distance of a 4790K in multi-threading when both are clocked the same. My multi-threading scores on a 4.6GHz FX-8350 are only about 10% behind my scores on a i7-4970k. So if they bring the single threaded performance up 40%, the multi-threaded will easily beat a 4790K and likely a 6700k as well.

I won't lie to you, I haven't benchmarked an FX-8350, much less an overclocked one, but I've benchmarked other CPUs of the same architecture and extrapolating results (to me), and checking on benchmark sites, there is no chance the 8350 comes within that 10% window - clock for clock in multithreading - unless you are quoting one very specific benchmark (that's the problem with benchmarks, right?). It does come down to what benchmark you are running and whether the system is somehow bottlenecked by something... i.e.: do you have to flush something to disk? (from your sig, you have overclocked your FX-8350 and it's got 32GB of RAM which might play a role in this). Clock for clock, single or multithreading, Haswell beats Piledriver...

ALSO: upping IPC by 40% does definitely not mean they are increasing single-threaded performance by the same ratio. In order to get IPC up 40% they will surely rein in the CPU clock. AMD is doing to its processors what Intel did when it about-faced on Netburst: it's improving execution (reducing pipeline length, branch prediction, etc... we'll see when it surfaces).

ALSO: Intel is not frozen in time, right...? It'll be a little over 2.5 years between the launch of Zen and Haswell (if Zen is on time)... Concern yourself with the fact that AMD has not been making any progress in CPUs for the past couple of years, while Intel integrated graphics have been steadily improving, generation after generation.

Don't get me wrong: I want Zen to succeed, but AMD has so far given me nothing but reasons to doubt their promises/expectations. They have systematically fallen short on delivering the gains they promise, time and again.

If things go pear-shaped, CES 2017 will be a very - believe me - VERY public place to crash and burn. Hence my "doom-and-gloom prediction".

There should be a betting pool for this... Anyone?

Here is a link to a site with full sets of benchmarks on both the i7 4790K and the FX-8350

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57: The Fastest Single Core
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1722/2

PS
Remind me Intel EE costs pretty please.

Right at about $1,000.

Back in 2004-5 I've upgraded to Athlon64 X2, new mobo, new mem, new CPU. All under 220$.
So, nope.

I'm going to have to call complete and utter bullshit on that one.

The Athlon x2 3800+, the cheapest of the Athlon x2 processors, didn't come out until Aug. 2005 and cost $350 at launch. The 4200+, 4400+, 4600+, and 4800+ came out a little earlier in May 2005, but they were priced at an insane $530, $580, $800, and $1,000 respectively. Even their single core parts weren't cheap, the Athlon64 4000+, which came out in 2004, cost $730 at launch. The 3800+? $720. The 3500+? $500.

But AMD would neeever jack up prices when the are in the lead. They didn't do that. And I'd like to point out that, in the same time frame of the Athlon X2 processor, around May 2005, Intel's Pentium D series was substantially cheaper. The Pentium D 830 came out almost the exact same time as the Athlon X2 4200+ though 4800+, and it was priced at $300 at launch. The Pentium D 820, again launched May 2005, was $240 at launch. The Pentium D 805 came out Dec 2005, and was freakin' $145! It was at the time easily the cheapest dual core you could get, and thanks to the low FSB(533 instead of 800) and the high multiplier, it overclocked like crazy. You could throw something like a Thermalright Ultra-120 on it, push the FSB to 800, and be running at 4.0GHz very easily. But the point is, when Intel knew they were behind, their mid-range products, the ones that most consumers were actually buying, were priced lower than AMD's. Their niche products, the EE line, remained overpriced, but those product lines from both companies are always overpriced.

won't lie to you, I haven't benchmarked an FX-8350, much less an overclocked one, but I've benchmarked other CPUs of the same architecture and extrapolating results (to me), and checking on benchmark sites, there is no chance the 8350 comes within that 10% window - clock for clock in multithreading - unless you are quoting one very specific benchmark (that's the problem with benchmarks, right?). It does come down to what benchmark you are running and whether the system is somehow bottlenecked by something... i.e.: do you have to flush something to disk? (from your sig, you have overclocked your FX-8350 and it's got 32GB of RAM which might play a role in this).

That is indeed very true, but you'll note my 4790K system has 32GB of RAM as well, and faster RAM at that. Yes, the benchmark used makes a difference, and I'll admit I haven't exactly had the time to run either system through a gauntlet of tests. But in the few tests that I have run on both, in multi-threading the 8350 at the same speed as the 4790K is about 10% behind.

I actually put together the 8350 for video encoding, because I was tired of having my main rig tied up for hours encoding H254 video. The video encoding is very multi-threaded. And the 8350 is slower than the 4790k, but only by about 10%-15%. So when you really get all of those cores working, the 8350 isn't that far off.

Clock for clock, single or multithreading, Haswell beats Piledriver...

Oh, most definitely. But Piledriver isn't the latest Bulldozer core. We have Steamroller after Piledriver and Excavator after Piledriver. Excavator just came out.

The real problem is we haven't seen how Piledriver and Excavator really perform in full form. All we have seen is the APU versions, which cut out the L3 to make room for the GPU. Obviously the big issue is they are only 4 cores. But the other issue is they cut the L2 from 1MB/Core to 512KB/Core on Excavator and completely cut out the L3 on all the APUs to make room for the GPU. The Bulldozer architecture really loves large cache. It really cripples the architecture when you take that away. That is why, if you just look at the CPU performance, the FX-4350 still outperforms the latest Excavator based Athlon X4 845 clock for clock even though the 4350 is technically 2 generations older than the 845. That cache just makes a massive difference.

Last edited:
AMD can’t compete with Intel when it comes to CPU reliant tasks, but on average AMD Kaveri APU’s outperform Intel’s latest Skylake processors when it comes to gaming (without dedicated graphics).

This is the crux of the issue, isn't it? AMD's Zen is an architecture. This architecture will later break down into a number of different configurations - some more suited for workstations/servers, others for gaming PCs, others for HTPCs and so forth... 12-core, 8-core, 4-core, with GPU, without GPU, etc... How each one will perform is anyone's guess. Right now all we hear from AMD is that it has come up with a unicorn CPU architecture that does everything really well (if we are to believe the slideware hype).

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
This is the crux of the issue, isn't it? AMD's Zen is an architecture. This architecture will later break down into a number of different configurations - some more suited for workstations/servers, others for gaming PCs, others for HTPCs and so forth... 12-core, 8-core, 4-core, with GPU, without GPU, etc... How each one will perform is anyone's guess. Right now all we hear from AMD is that it has come up with a unicorn CPU architecture that does everything really well (if we are to believe the slideware hype).
yaaay for slides!! the ones with the most colors are my favorite :)

Reactions: 64K
CERN engineer Liviu Valsan, in a recent presentation on datacenter hardware trends, presented a curious looking slide that highlights some of the key features of AMD's upcoming "Zen" CPU architecture. We know from a recent story that the architecture is scalable up to 32 cores per socket, and that AMD is building these chips on the 14 nanometer FinFET process.

Among the other key features detailed on the slide are symmetric multi-threading (SMT). Implemented for over a decade by Intel as HyperThreading Technology, SMT exposes a physical core as two logical CPUs to the software, letting it make better use of the hardware resources. Another feature is talk of up to eight DDR4 memory channels. This could mean that AMD is readying a product to compete with the Xeon E7 series. Lastly, the slide mentions that "Zen" could bring about IPC improvements that are 40 percent higher than the current architecture.

Source: HotHardware

Hey.

Not sure if anyone's made this comment but I don't see any reference: It's not exactly 32 cores per socket. Apparently Mr Valsan also mentioned that it was a unique two-CPUs-one-socket using a special interconnect for the CPUs (probably the Exascale Coherent Processor they were going on about a while back). A bit like dual-GPU solutions, I guess.

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....

This will be a very poor showing for AMD. In fact it will be the last nail in the coffin for a company that has done its utmost to drive itself into the ground.

I am not an AMD or Intel fan boy, I am pro-market, and FWIW, AMD has been run by people who - to ensure that they aren't kicked out of office - have cared only about the stock value in the short term, and failed to see what the company would be selling 1-, 3- even 5- years ahead. The only thing AMD management has been able to do so far is shore up its defences for its own demise. Even the creation of the Radeon Technologies Group is a way for management to secure some form of revenue in case the company goes tits-up. When things get worse, AMD has packaged all its worthwhile assets in a nice little parcel with a perky little bow on top, ready to be sold off to the highest bidder. I am sure this is a condition the stockholders demanded be met to ensure support.

When Zen comes out (and fails) it will be a short hop to the "we are now a fabless graphics technology semiconductor design company" announcement, "available to license our graphics technology to anyone who wishes to acquire a license", who will adopt an ARM-like strategy towards the market. AMD will be no more and RTG will be its spiritual successor. Heads will roll, golden umbrellas will be paid, Chapter 13 will be filed, AMD restructured, x86/AMD64 people laid off and only RTG will remain, which will then be sold off.

I'm just speculating here, but Zen would've been a hit... like in mid-2015. Not in early 2017.

So, kinda like SEGA then?

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Maybe high range-ish?
980 vs Fury Nano

On par power consumption, faster yet cheaper Nano with unique features.

Walking the line between misleading and flat out lies.

Power Consumption - Fury Nano is 50% higher while idle, ~400% higher during Blu-Ray playback, 20% higher average power consumption, and has a slightly higher peak\maximum draw. They are not on par, the 980 is better in literally every category.

Performance - The Fury Nano does better at 4K and slightly better at 2560x1440, but they are tied with the 980 often edging it out at 1080p. The ace in the hole for the 980 though is that it overclocks--and quite well. I imagine even a higher tier factory overclocked 980 would edge out the Nano Fury in almost all situations.

Features - Not sure what unique features the Nano has that the 980 doesn't have comparable versions of. I guess the Nano has HBM? But that doesn't affect the experience all that much other than making it better at 4K.

Price - You can get 3rd Party GTX 980's for as little as $470 (and one model that is $480 with a $30 MIR effectively making it $450) on Newegg, compared to Fury Nano's starting at $490 and most being above $500.

So, nope.

No you didn't. The Athlon64 X2's didn't come out until mid-late 2005, and even a year after release the Athlon64 X2 3800+ was about $250. I know this because I bought 2--one for myself and one for a friends build--and both times they were at least $200 (I think the one for myself I bought in 2007).

Last edited:

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
It's just "Nano" not "Fury Nano" and not "Nano Fury". lol

The unique thing would simply be it's size, but your other points are somewhat okay, just that the Nano certainly isn't a 1080p card and therefore no one really cares (or should care) about its performance there. Also wait for the performance leap DX12 will give the Nano (and not give the GTX 980, because it's already at maximum).

Overclocking? You are funny. The Nano transforms into a Fury X if overclocked, the GTX 980 even with highest overclocks has no chance. I'd call your post Nvidia-biased, because you mention "Nvidia can overclock to reach AMD" but not mention that the Nano can be overclocked too, and runs easily away (from the GTX 980) if so.

Also the Steamroller APU has 2x2 MB Cache, not 2x 1MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113359
The new Excavator CPU has only 1x1 MB, but I'd call that an exception.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. Also I very much dislike those nay-sayers and negative talkers here. "AMD Zen will most likely be shit, but I don't want it to be shit". Sorry that's crazy.

We will see. My opinion is, Zen will be a LOT better than the FX processors are now, and this is a good thing, and will help AMD to get some marketshare back. I'd even bet on it. Same with their coming GPUs.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
It doesn't much matter, the lack of L3 is what really cripples the CPU performance.

I am really hoping for a large L3 and decently sized "L4"

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
It doesn't much matter, the lack of L3 is what really cripples the CPU performance.
Thought the same, but the 2x2 MB is enough for "4" cores on the A10 APUs (someone told me or I read up in some reviews) - not sure about the 2x1 MB Excavator CPU though.

@cdawall : I'm pretty sure it will have a large L3, because AMD has it on their main CPU line since Phenom II. L4? You mean HBM for the APUs? If so, yes, that'd be nice. Really really nice, because it would erase the bandwidth problems current APUs have with their GPUs.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Thought the same, but the 2x2 MB is enough for "4" cores on the A10 APUs (someone told me or I read up in some reviews) - not sure about the 2x1 MB Excavator CPU though.

Depends on what you consider "enough". Sure, they'll work with 1MB per core, heck they'll work with 512KB per core. And performance will be acceptable. But performance will be a lot worse than if they had that large L3.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Depends on what you consider "enough". Sure, they'll work with 1MB per core, heck they'll work with 512KB per core. And performance will be acceptable. But performance will be a lot worse than if they had that large L3.
I meant it didn't really lose much compared to a Phenom II with 6 MB or FX with 8 MB cache. IPC was higher, bandwidth problems pretty non-existant, but I'd need to find the review for clarification. For now I'd say 2x1 MB is (a lot) more of a problem than 2x2 MB.

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290

Power Consumption - Fury Nano is 50% higher while idle, ~400% higher during Blu-Ray playback, 20% higher average power consumption, and has a slightly higher peak\maximum draw. They are not on par, the 980 is better in literally every category.

Performance - The Fury Nano does better at 4K and slightly better at 2560x1440, but they are tied with the 980 often edging it out at 1080p. The ace in the hole for the 980 though is that it overclocks--and quite well. I imagine even a higher tier factory overclocked 980 would edge out the Nano Fury in almost all situations.

Features - Not sure what unique features the Nano has that the 980 doesn't have comparable versions of. I guess the Nano has HBM? But that doesn't affect the experience all that much other than making it better at 4K.

Price - You can get 3rd Party GTX 980's for as little as $470 (and one model that is $480 with a $30 MIR effectively making it $450) on Newegg, compared to Fury Nano's starting at $490 and most being above $500.

No you didn't. The Athlon64 X2's didn't come out until mid-late 2005, and even a year after release the Athlon64 X2 3800+ was about $250. I know this because I bought 2--one for myself and one for a friends build--and both times they were at least $200 (I think the one for myself I bought in 2007).
what is this bullock of half information.. do you work for nvidia? haha

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I'm going to have to
Read it again and think what 2004-5 could mean.

I repeat, for 220 Euros, I've got dual core Athlon 64, new mainboard and mem. (don't remember amount though :S)

I don't remember what date it was, Wow released at least 1 year before that, roughly at that time. Wow was the reason I was upgrading.

Mobo was about 55Euro, CPU under 100, maybe as low as 80.

My gmail can't look back that far, or else I'd had exact numbers.

Fury Nano is 50% higher while idle, ~400% higher during Blu-Ray playback, 20% higher average power consumption, and has a slightly higher peak\maximum draw.
Are you on nVidia's payroll or something?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9621/the-amd-radeon-r9-nano-review/16

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Read it again and think what 2004-5 could mean.

I repeat, for 220 Euros, I've got dual core Athlon 64, new mainboard and mem. (don't remember amount though :S)

I don't remember what date it was, Wow released at least 1 year before that, roughly at that time. Wow was the reason I was upgrading.

Mobo was about 55Euro, CPU under 100, maybe as low as 80.

The dual cores came out in 2005. In september 2005 I bought a single core Venice 3000+ for more than €100, from one of those terrible, cheap stores. No cooler. I remember dreaming about that x2 3800+, but I just couldn't afford it. And here's an old review that puts the street price of the cheapest dual core at $354. Flash forward two years and yeah then.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
The dual cores came out in 2005. In september 2005 I bought a single core Venice 3000+ for more than €100, from one of those terrible, cheap stores.

I recall it was before first WoW expansion came, so, Burning Cruzade, released in Jan 2007.