• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Zen3 to Leverage 7nm+ EUV For 20% Transistor Density Increase

No. Even at 3 generations (Zen, Zen+ and Zen) it would be much greater than what Intel has been doing for almost 8 years
Intel replaces sockets often. It's not a problem for most and the rest accept it. After all, motherboard features age faster than CPU performance.

Right from the beginning we were told that AM4 will last for few years and will also work with a future revamped architecture on improved semiconductor process (i.e. more cores, higher clocks etc)
It was meant to be a big jump in performance.

Until now we got 2 generations: Zen and Zen+, the latter being just slightly faster and a bit more polished. That's hardly different from what Intel is doing.
Zen 2 is rumored to be problematic. Zen 3 seems very unlikely.

So in a fairly probable scenario AM4 will be compatible with... 2.5 generations...
Just stop trying to find flaws with everything AMD does and justify everything devlish Intel and it's beaouches (MSI, Asus etc) been doing
Intel, MSI, Asus etc...
Keep going and soon you'll be butthurt about so many companies that you'll have problems assembling a whole PC...

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Intel replaces sockets often. It's not a problem for most and the rest accept it. After all, motherboard features age faster than CPU performance.

Right from the beginning we were told that AM4 will last for few years and will also work with a future revamped architecture on improved semiconductor process (i.e. more cores, higher clocks etc)

Until now we got 2 generations: Zen and Zen+, the latter being just slightly faster and a bit more polished. That's hardly different from what Intel is doing.

So in a fairly probable scenario AM4 will be compatible with... 2.5 generations...

Intel, MSI, Asus etc...
Keep going and soon you'll be butthurt about so many companies that you'll have problems assembling a whole PC...

In addition, X470 probably won't be compatible with Zen 3 due to DDR5. Unless DDR5 support is postponed to Zen4.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
No. Even at 3 generations (Zen, Zen+ and Zen) it would be much greater than what Intel has been doing for almost 8 years, changing chipset every year even when there were no "technical" need for that at all.
Intel changes sockets every 2 generations, a new chipset every generation.
AMD has so far done 2 chipsets and 2 generations and most likely outcome is 3 generations and 3 chipsets.

Intel, MSI, Asus etc...
You don't really want AMD to give the best performance possible from a new architecture AND to keep AM4 socket forever.
You are biased and just trying to find flaws. If they kept the AM4 you'll say AHA AMD isnt giving us the promised performance increqse. While if went the opposite way and made zen3 at maximum possible performance, but with a new socket you'll say: AMD didn't keep its promise.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
CTO Mark Papermaster stated AMD's design goal with "Zen 3" would be to prioritize energy-efficiency, and that it would present "modest" performance improvements (read: IPC improvements) over "Zen 2.
Perhaps it's just me, but that sort of sounds like IPC gains are less exciting or something. "IPC" gains is one of the best types of performance gains.

If they could only get those clocks up, modest 4.5 to 5GHz or so.
Single core boost?
I think people overestimate the clock gains from the new nodes. Even if TSMC 7nm beats the current nodes, it's only going to be a marginal gain. Both Zen+ and Coffee Lake are already pushing their respective nodes into throttling territory.

I'm guessing the biggest news here is there's not that much room left to improve IPC after Zen2 :(
I have really wondered about Zen 3-5, will it be just "small" incremental changes?
*ahem*GCN…
We need AMD to push harder, not pull back.

Reactions: bug
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Perhaps it's just me, but that sort of sounds like IPC gains are less exciting or something. "IPC" gains is one of the best types of performance gains.

Single core boost?
I think people overestimate the clock gains from the new nodes. Even if TSMC 7nm beats the current nodes, it's only going to be a marginal gain. Both Zen+ and Coffee Lake are already pushing their respective nodes into throttling territory.

I have really wondered about Zen 3-5, will it be just "small" incremental changes?
*ahem*GCN…
We need AMD to push harder, not pull back.

Higher clock with modest IPC gain might be enough to close the gap.

In addition, X470 probably won't be compatible with Zen 3 due to DDR5. Unless DDR5 support is postponed to Zen4.
Zen 3 will have to come with all the latest goodies. Intel is sure to launch a DDR5 platform as soon as it becomes available. That's actually the main advantage of launching new sockets all the time. ;-)

Zen 3 is coming in 2020. AM4 is supported until 2020. IMO this means Zen 3 will use a new socket already. I don't see other reason why they would phrase it like that.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Zen 3 will have to come with all the latest goodies. Intel is sure to launch a DDR5 platform as soon as it becomes available. That's actually the main advantage of launching new sockets all the time. ;-)

Zen 3 is coming in 2020. AM4 is supported until 2020. IMO this means Zen 3 will use a new socket already. I don't see other reason why they would phrase it like that.
You keep saying that but how early/quickly do you think Intel can support DDR5 within their consumer lineup? I predict not anytime before 2021 - ICL will have to be respun, before it can support DDR5 so chances are TGL or whatever comes after ICL will get DDR5. ICL isn't coming anytime soon, so that's anywhere between 2~3 years before we see DDR5 Intel chips with mass availability. Intel could surprise us of course, but they'll probably bring DDR5 to servers first.

Last edited:
System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
But i love intel:cry:. Joke a side. I really hope amd as well as intel comes out with a interesting cpu line up, as i next year planning a new pc. Yes i am now moving on from X58 next year.

If the rumers are true, amd ryzen 3000 series shut be pretty darn interesting.

You keep saying that but how early/quickly do you think Intel can support DDR5 within their consumer lineup?
From day 1 consumer DDR5 modules arrive in shops. Just like Intel server CPUs will arrive just in time for server-grade DDR5.
RAM is made for CPUs. There's no reason to launch DDR5 if there are no CPUs to use it.

It's obvious that announcements of DDR5 and new Intel CPUs will be synchronized.
I predict not anytime before 2021 - ICL will have to be respun, before it can support DDR5 so chances are TGL or whatever comes after ICL will get DDR5. ICL isn't coming anytime soon, so that's anywhere between 2~3 years before we see DDR5 Intel chips with mass availability. Intel could surprise us of course, but they'll probably bring DDR5 to servers first.
If DDR5 comes 2-3 years from now, it would be awful news for AMD. What will they do with their CPUs? Keep AM4 for at least 1 year longer? Change to some "AM5" and give us "AM5+" year later?

Intel, being able to quickly replace their lineup (from both technological and PR point of view), will not be harmed by this in any way.

Why do you think Intel will be the first with DDR5, it could well be IBM, AMD or even ARM? I also speculated in another thread that Apple will likely be the first to transition towards LPDDR5, since they're moving Macbooks to Axx & low idle power is nearly an obsession for them. Don't assume Intel is the leader in everything everywhere, when history's shown quite the opposite!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-arm-cpus-2020-intel,38668.html

From day 1 consumer DDR5 modules arrive in shops. Just like Intel server CPUs will arrive just in time for server-grade DDR5.
RAM is made for CPUs. There's no reason to launch DDR5 if there are no CPUs to use it.

It's obvious that announcements of DDR5 and new Intel CPUs will be synchronized.

If DDR5 comes 2-3 years from now, it would be awful news for AMD. What will they do with their CPUs? Keep AM4 for at least 1 year longer? Change to some "AM5" and give us "AM5+" year later?

Intel, being able to quickly replace their lineup (from both technological and PR point of view), will not be harmed by this in any way.
With AMD now utilizing chiplet systems, AMD could just re-spin the DDR-5 I/O chip. While for Intel, they either need to build a chip with DDR-4 and DDR-5 MC or re-spin a new chip for DDR-5.

I don't agree how you think that Intel is in a superior position to support DDR-5 than AMD.

In fact AMD could let X470 to support Zen 3 if Zen 3 can still pair up with the Zen 2 I/O chip.

Why do you think Intel will be the first with DDR5, it could well be IBM, AMD or even ARM? I also speculated in another thread that Apple will likely be the first to transition towards LPDDR5, since they're moving Macbooks to Axx & low idle power is nearly an obsession for them. Don't assume Intel is the leader in everything everywhere, when history's shown quite the opposite!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-arm-cpus-2020-intel,38668.html
Because Intel is the dominant supplier of CPUs. AMD may align with their launch or not. It's of lesser importance.
Next get Macs will keep using Intel CPUs. Not enough time to switch.

Intel is the leader of computing at the moment. It has nothing to do with what I think or "assume".
I know you don't like this, but your aversion towards Intel won't change anything either.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-ceo-interview-intel-shortage-amd,38473.html

Because Intel is the dominant supplier of CPUs. AMD may align with their launch or not. It's of lesser importance.

Intel is the leader of computing at the moment. It has nothing to do with what I think or "assume".
I know you don't like this, but your aversion towards Intel won't change anything either.
Intel is so dominant that people would choose RAMBUS over DDR. And IA-64 over x86-64.

With AMD now utilizing chiplet systems, AMD could just re-spin the DDR-5 I/O chip. While for Intel, they either need to build a chip with DDR-4 and DDR-5 MC or re-spin a new chip for DDR-5.
No. AMD has to design their chiplets for RAM. Having an I/O die doesn't change much in this regard.

I don't really understand what you mean by "re-spin". DDR5 won't come as surprise. CPU makers are taking part in memory development. DDR5 and appropriate CPUs have been developed together and can be launched together.

This (year) next gen of Apple Macs will still use 8th gen, pardon me - the vastly improved 9th gen Intel core. The move however totally depends on Apple not Intel, their first ARM Macbook will probably feature Axx SoC on 5nm - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-5nm-euv-process-node,38995.html

So when that arrives, Apple will likely use them with LPDDR5. These Axx SoC (less cores?) will also feature in iPhone & iPads - sorry fogot to mention that, but I guess $200~250 billion of sales is peanuts compared to Intel?

That depends on where you look at, for 5 billion people ARM multiverse matters so much more & if/when ARM servers catch on Intel will be in a world of pain that even Zen couldn't inflict upon them.

Last edited:
No. AMD has to design their chiplets for RAM. Having an I/O die doesn't change much in this regard.

I don't really understand what you mean by "re-spin". DDR5 won't come as surprise. CPU makers are taking part in memory development. DDR5 and appropriate CPUs have been developed together and can be launched together.
I think you missed the question.

Designing / re-spinning an I/O die is surely easier than designing / re-spinning the whole chip with CPU and memory controller. This is not rocket science, right?

This (year) next gen of Apple Macs will still use 8th gen, pardon me - the vastly improved 9th gen Intel core. The move however totally depends on Apple not Intel, their first ARM Macbook will probably feature Axx SoC on 5nm - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-5nm-euv-process-node,38995.html

So when that arrives, Apple will likely use them with LPDDR5.
Macs depend on x86 software ported from Windows. This is the reason Apple switched to Intel in the first place. They'll have to make sure every important piece of software is available for ARM. Most isn't.

Apple could offer an ARM powered Macbook next to x86 one (just like Microsoft does with Surface).
ARM exclusive lineup? Think 2025+. But don't bet your house on it.
That depends on where you look at, for 5 billion people ARM multiverse matters so much more & if/when ARM servers catch on Intel will be in a world of pain that even Zen couldn't inflict upon them.
ARM servers are not compatible with x86 and - assuming ARM will become a more attractive option at some point (likely!) - it'll take a decade before a significant part of market migrates. And x86 will stay with us for many years.
Both Intel and AMD are thinking about the ARM threat. They'll join if necessary. Don't worry too much. :)

Yes & we have windows on ARM, how cool is that ~ Huawei Readies Windows 10 Laptop Based on Qualcomm Snapdragon 850

Besides the switch from PPC to x86 was much more painful yet they did it in one fell swoop, I also said Macbooks first because I'm not sure how they'll replace high end Xeon or desktop chips in iMacs/Mac Pro but Intel does make so much more from Macbooks.

ARM servers is a long shot atm, for ARM & the likes of QC, Huawei etc. However it's possible that we'll see more custom (in house) ARM cores than the top end x86 chips being replaced by them - Amazon Launches ARM-Based Custom Graviton CPU

System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
Huh what? It's a fact. Ryzen performance is hit and miss depending on workload and especially in games (high fps gaming that is).

In tons of applications Ryzen sucks too. Handbrake to mention one.
Lol, no.
Sorry but you just talk nonsense now, I can't really take this seriously.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14202/huawei-readies-windows-10-laptop-based-on-snapdragon-850
We have Windows for ARM, we have Linux for ARM and we may have OSX for ARM. That's not a problem.
We don't have software for ARM. Not much anyway.
Besides the switch from PPC to x86 was much more painful yet they did it in one fell swoop, I also said Macbooks first because I'm not sure how they'll replace high end Xeon or desktop chips in iMacs.
No it wasn't. They had a separate platform with incompatible software.
And suddenly it became pretty easy to port all the good stuff from Windows. This is what made MacBooks a sensible alternative for most people.
Earlier OS X had 3-4% market share - mostly in US. Now they're at 13%.
Macs can be used by financial companies, by software developers, by scientists, by artists. Most mainstream professional software is available.
More importantly, Macs and Windows machines can be used in the same organization. It used to be almost impossible.
ARM servers is a long shot atm, for ARM & the likes of QC, Huawei etc. However it's possible that we'll see more custom (in house) ARM cores than the top end x86 chips being replaced by them - Amazon Launches ARM-Based Custom Graviton CPU
2 separate aspects: ARM servers existance and ARM servers becoming a viable alternative to x86.
ARM servers are pretty close to going mainstream (i.e. offered by big OEMs).
They could be used in particular tasks and newly developed systems.

Viable alternative they will be not. For a very long time. :)