• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

AMD's Graphics going under?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Kratos
Processor Intel Core i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CPNS9900MAX 130mm
Memory G.Skill DDR3-2133, 16gb (4x4gb) @ 9-11-10-28-108-1T 1.65v
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8GB @ PCI-E 3.0
Storage 2x120Gb SATA3 Corsair Force GT Raid-0, 4x1Tb RAID-5, 1x500GB
Display(s) 1x LG 27UD69P (4k), 2x Dell S2340M (1080p)
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek® ALC898 8-Channel High Definition Audio
Power Supply Seasonic 1000-watt 80 PLUS Platinum
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Rosewill RK-9100
Software Ubuntu 17.10
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks aren't everything.
It definitely is a problem here in the West. I know CEO compensation in the US is ridiculously high compared to other places. I remember seeing that news special about the Japanese CEO of the biggest airline in Japan, who cut his pay to like the median income of employees within the company, and declined his bonus because the company started doing poorly. He took the bus to work, ate in the cafeteria with the rest of the employees, and helped out where he could (going as far as answering phones and such even). You would never see something like that in the United States. His rationale was; "Why should I be rewarded if the company is doing poorly?"
If only every company was like that. The US has this greed complex where the rich always want more and the people who are just getting by struggle and work hard just to make ends meat. This drives me up a wall as well and it is one of the reasons why I enjoy working where I do. I work for a online high school as a System Admin and Developer and I'm the only full-time system admin/developer. (My boss, the CIO is actually only part time. He is finishing up his masters in philosophy, but we just had to go through the process to renew our charter as a charter school in the state of New Hampshire. When the charter renewal committee came in we had to give them access to all of our records and get interviewed by them. In the end we got our renewal without much effort. They also said that VLACS (where I work,) felt less like a workplace and more like a family.

With that said, VLACS has been constantly growing for the last 5 years since the institution was started and has dropped yet. I've been here for 4 years, don't get paid nearly as much as other System Admins and Developers, but you know what? I get provided a Mac laptop (right now I have a 13" Macbook Air with an Ivy Bridge i5,) I get to work from home half of the week, and the admin chain is small enough where my boss' boss is the end of the food chain.

The other day I found that I was struggling with how much I was getting paid so I took my boss aside and told him that I wanted more. He looked at me and smiled and said, "For the last 2 years I've been vouching for you to get a higher pay." Did they give me exactly what I wanted? No. Did they help me enough to enable me to support both my wife and daughter off my own income. Yes.

That is why big business blows, it doesn't work that way, people get stressed out, and the people who "can't be bothered" with being stressed out takes it out on the people that they don't even know to make their own life better. Where I work, everyone knows everyone, and losing anyone is felt throughout the institution.

I think this is the case for AMD, the problem is that management doesn't understand how much it is harming the institution because they're still living a cushy lifestyle with absolutely no change with how they conduct their lives. While AMD engineers get laid off, benefits cut, and left upstream without a paddle even though they worked hard and did good work.

That is what pisses me off and capitalism will fail for that simple reason. We need a Swedes to tell us how awesome that a generous social welfare state is and how when everyone does well, the country does well.

Processor i7 4770K Haswell, watercooled
Motherboard Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, 3× D12SL-12, liquid metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) between GPUs
Storage Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech PM MX / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech diNovo Edge / Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006
Software W10 x64
Benchmark Scores yes

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Rapture X Mk.VI {Still....MoonPig Edition}
Processor Intel 3930k@4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P9X79 PRO
Cooling Corsair H105 {2x Corsair ML 120 Pro}|VRM: Antec Spotcool 100
Memory 32GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz {8x4GB}
Video Card(s) MSI 1070 Gaming X (Samsung)
Storage 512GB Samsung 850 Pro (Boot)|1x 512GB Crucial MX100|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27"
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1x140mm NB PK-3, 2x Corsair AF140}
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z {Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 }
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 7 7600 x64
Benchmark Scores ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
If only every company was like that. The US has this greed complex where the rich always want more and the people who are just getting by struggle and work hard just to make ends meat. This drives me up a wall as well and it is one of the reasons why I enjoy working where I do. I work for a online high school as a System Admin and Developer and I'm the only full-time system admin/developer. (My boss, the CIO is actually only part time. He is finishing up his masters in philosophy, but we just had to go through the process to renew our charter as a charter school in the state of New Hampshire. When the charter renewal committee came in we had to give them access to all of our records and get interviewed by them. In the end we got our renewal without much effort. They also said that VLACS (where I work,) felt less like a workplace and more like a family.

With that said, VLACS has been constantly growing for the last 5 years since the institution was started and has dropped yet. I've been here for 4 years, don't get paid nearly as much as other System Admins and Developers, but you know what? I get provided a Mac laptop (right now I have a 13" Macbook Air with an Ivy Bridge i5,) I get to work from home half of the week, and the admin chain is small enough where my boss' boss is the end of the food chain.

The other day I found that I was struggling with how much I was getting paid so I took my boss aside and told him that I wanted more. He looked at me and smiled and said, "For the last 2 years I've been vouching for you to get a higher pay." Did they give me exactly what I wanted? No. Did they help me enough to enable me to support both my wife and daughter off my own income. Yes.

That is why big business blows, it doesn't work that way, people get stressed out, and the people who "can't be bothered" with being stressed out takes it out on the people that they don't even know to make their own life better. Where I work, everyone knows everyone, and losing anyone is felt throughout the institution.

I think this is the case for AMD, the problem is that management doesn't understand how much it is harming the institution because they're still living a cushy lifestyle with absolutely no change with how they conduct their lives. While AMD engineers get laid off, benefits cut, and left upstream without a paddle even though they worked hard and did good work.

That is what pisses me off and capitalism will fail for that simple reason. We need a Swedes to tell us how awesome that a generous social welfare state is and how when everyone does well, the country does well.
Fact: you don't know what you've got till its gone.

I hold a small hope that the engineers who do get given the boot will be able to turn the situation around by forming a new company. with 20-30% of the workforce going mainly aimed at designers and engineers, Im sure they can gather enough people to make the whole thing work.

pull together a team of maybe 100-300 people, put all their ideas on the table. any designs that were good, that could have been used by AMD but didnt get the greenlight. then take what they have to some investors and see if they can get some capital to move the ball forward.

But i think that any oldskool ATi employees could possibly hold a lot of influence and sway some of the investors.

30% = hope, 70% = Passion (for doing the thing they love)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Kratos
Processor Intel Core i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CPNS9900MAX 130mm
Memory G.Skill DDR3-2133, 16gb (4x4gb) @ 9-11-10-28-108-1T 1.65v
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8GB @ PCI-E 3.0
Storage 2x120Gb SATA3 Corsair Force GT Raid-0, 4x1Tb RAID-5, 1x500GB
Display(s) 1x LG 27UD69P (4k), 2x Dell S2340M (1080p)
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek® ALC898 8-Channel High Definition Audio
Power Supply Seasonic 1000-watt 80 PLUS Platinum
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Rosewill RK-9100
Software Ubuntu 17.10
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks aren't everything.
I hold a small hope that the engineers who do get given the boot will be able to turn the situation around by forming a new company. with 20-30% of the workforce going mainly aimed at designers and engineers, Im sure they can gather enough people to make the whole thing work.

pull together a team of maybe 100-300 people, put all their ideas on the table. any designs that were good, that could have been used by AMD but didnt get the greenlight. then take what they have to some investors and see if they can get some capital to move the ball forward.

But i think that any oldskool ATi employees could possibly hold a lot of influence and sway some of the investors.
That's a lot of investment resources to start from scratch. Don't forget, AMD still holds the patents and rights on all of ATi's hardware. It would be a hell of an undertaking and you know what? I would support it 100%. :rockout:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Rapture X Mk.VI {Still....MoonPig Edition}
Processor Intel 3930k@4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P9X79 PRO
Cooling Corsair H105 {2x Corsair ML 120 Pro}|VRM: Antec Spotcool 100
Memory 32GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz {8x4GB}
Video Card(s) MSI 1070 Gaming X (Samsung)
Storage 512GB Samsung 850 Pro (Boot)|1x 512GB Crucial MX100|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27"
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1x140mm NB PK-3, 2x Corsair AF140}
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z {Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 }
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 7 7600 x64
Benchmark Scores ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)
That's a lot of investment resources to start from scratch. Don't forget, AMD still holds the patents and rights on all of ATi's hardware. It would be a hell of an undertaking and you know what? I would support it 100%. :rockout:
If some ex-Nokia staff managed to do the exact same thing and come out with a new handset that was based off designs that werent used by Nokia then im sure they could do the same. There has to be loads of ideas or schematics that someone has drawn up but didnt take to the board meeting to be discussed and put into production. engineers/designers don't just 'turn off' when they get home, they might at home but that doesnt mean they wont take pen to paper and come out with something thats totally just awesome.

who knows?? maybe they took the design to the board meeting and the CEO just laughed and dismissed his idea as it might of taken a complete redesign of the current architectures to work and then some.

Processor Intel i5-2500k
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD65
Cooling Deep Cool Gammax 400
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 256GB / WD Caviar Black 1TB
Display(s) Acer GD235HZbid 120hz LCD
Case Rosewill Challenger Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 650W 650-TX
Software Windows 10
If only every company was like that. The US has this greed complex where the rich always want more and the people who are just getting by struggle and work hard just to make ends meat.
I always make it a point to distinguish between Capitalism and American Capitalism for that exact reason. The way the US operates is completely absurd. But I am glad you have a great job that you love and is willing to provide for you and your family as needed. Most people don't even have that.

As for a new competitor in the GPU space, I have severe doubts, but there have definitely historically been companies that start small and combine some of the best talent with the will to make an exceptional product, and the results have been fantastic.

System Name Custom Built | Netbook Samsung N145P
Processor Intel Core i3 6100 | Intel Atom N455 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus H110M-K-D3
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 12GB RAM
Video Card(s) MSI GT 1050 Ti 4GB| Intel GMA 3150
Storage Samsung EVO 750 120GB + Kingston HyperX Fury 120 GB + 2TB WD Hard disk | Kingston V300 120GB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 22cw
Case A old one
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Generic 500W
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Like or not, I think SoC are the future, and more probabily ARM ones. That if not embeeded systems.

Last edited:
System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
2006*

1. AMD bought out ATI. They didn't have the resources for it and still don't. Instead of buying out ATI, they should have put that money into making a better product or a mass marketing campaign.

2. Intel released Core 2 Duo which trounced not only everything AMD had available, but everything they planned on releasing too (specifically Phenom/Phenom II).
It's not necessarily that they didn't have the resources to buy ATI..... If they would've bought ATI just to buy ATI things would've been fine. However they bought ATI to work on their CPU/GPU integration among other things.
In the end it was a risky business move and it failed. Businesses do things like that all the time.... and it just wasn't the choice of them buying ATI that made AMD fail. It was several bad business moves over the past few years that made AMD fail.

But that is what you do in business...... take risks!!..... some work out.... other end like this.

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
That is what pisses me off and capitalism will fail for that simple reason.
Good point, but there a difference between 2 types of capitalism.

Vulture Capitalism = Government deregulation for the rich so they can exploit the system and get richer while the middle class gets destroyed.
Capitalism = If ran properly can help list the middleclass and get the poor into middleclass status while the rich continue to live comfortable.

Processor AMD FX-9790 at 4.65 GHZ
Motherboard Asus Crosshairs V rev 1.0
Cooling Swiftech H320 cpu liquid cooling
Memory G. Skill Trident X 8GBx2 (16 GB) 2400 mhz dimms
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 500 GB Samsung 840 Sata III SSD, Samsung 840 PRO 240 GB Sata III SSD,
Display(s) Samsung 23 inch LDEC monitor
Case Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra Full Tower Gaming Case
Power Supply Seasonic 860 watt Platinum Plus 80 psu
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 11.5 64 bit Open GL 81.46 FPS Cinebench 11.5 CPU 7.93
Good point, but there a difference between 2 types of capitalism.

Vulture Capitalism = Government deregulation for the rich so they can exploit the system and get richer while the middle class gets destroyed.
Capitalism = If ran properly can help list the middleclass and get the poor into middleclass status while the rich continue to live comfortable.
If water was wine it would make us all happily drunk. Water is not wine and capitalism naturally gravitates towards monopoly and tyrannical Draconian exploitation of the working class. There is no middle class. There is a petty bourgeoisie that represents small business , shop-keepers who are wannabee capitalists that mostly fail in their enterprise and are driven down into poverty. Economies of scale require capital and that capital concentrates more and more in fewer hands. The driving force is the maximizing of profit.
Capital Volume I. Karl Marx. The clarity with which this volume utterly and definitively defines the crisis which is still unfolding should be read by ALL. It is undeniable truth that capitalism is its own gravedigger

We need to finish the task by kicking its rotting carcass into its own grave and building an egalitarian world for all those who toil.There is not one ill in the world that is not either a product of capitalism or made vey much worse by capitalism. From malnutrition and starvation in spite of great agricultural land lying fallow and food by the hundreds of metric tons being thrown away to mass unemployment,war, racism, disease and pestilence abounding due to allocation of resources solely for profit instead of for human need.This will all be resolved in the coming generation by world revolution and working class seizure of power.

Last edited:
System Name RemixedBeast
Processor Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB Corsair XMS3
Video Card(s) EVGA Nvidia GTX 650 Ti SSC 1GB
Storage 1.5TB Seagate/128GB Samsung 840
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + LG Flatron 19in Widescreen 1440x900
Case Antec Three Hundred Two
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 620w Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Windows Server 2012 x64 Standard
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite, Ligowave NFT-3AC
AMD should have focused more on desktop CPU and mobile (growing market) and not wasted the money with purchasing ATI then they would have been better off.

Processor Intel I7 4790k (stock)
Motherboard ASRock H97M-ITX/ac LGA 1150 Intel H97
Cooling Prolimatech megahalem
Memory Crucial 2x4gb 1600mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 3gb
Storage OWC Mercury SSD 240 GB
Display(s) Asus 144hz
Case Raijintek Metis
Power Supply Corsair SF600 600w psu
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
If water was wine it would make us all happily drunk. Water is not wine and capitalism naturally gravitates towards monopoly and tyrannical Draconian exploitation of the working class. There is no middle class. There is a petty bourgeoisie that represents small business , shop-keepers who are wannabee capitalists that mostly fail in their enterprise and are driven down into poverty. Economies of scale require capital and that capital concentrates more and more in fewer hands. The driving force is the maximizing of profit.
Capital Volume I. Karl Marx. The clarity with which this volume utterly and definitively defines the crisis which is still unfolding should be read by ALL. It is undeniable truth that capitalism is its own gravedigger

We need to finish the task by kicking its rotting carcass into its own grave and building an egalitarian world for all those who toil.There is not one ill in the world that is not either a product of capitalism or made vey much worse by capitalism. From malnutrition and starvation in spite of great agricultural land lying fallow and food by the hundreds of metric tons being thrown away to mass unemployment,war, racism, disease and pestilence abounding due to allocation of resources solely for profit instead of for human need.This will all be resolved in the coming generation by world revolution and working class seizure of power.
Two ways to define egalitarianism. It is defined either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social, and civil rights or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people or the decentralization of power.

I could be considered an egalitarian because I feel the government has grown too strong and desire to decentralize it. Governments always act in their best interests and slowly drift towards tyrannical draconian exploitation of everyone. You must be of the first definition. You must desire a revolution to take over the government and fix all the problems with force. Would all the wrongs be fixed though? No. Not even the strongest of governments can fix the problems of the worlds no matter what policies they use. You can't end unemployment by saying "Here you go, have a job." It just doesn't work for economic reasons. You can't just say "You will stop being a racist!" because it wont work. You can't stop racism at gunpoint.

We can agree on many problems in our society today. Our monetary, fiscal, and economic policies are so flawed that it does not even have a real foundation to stand on. That needs to be reformed. There are many social issues. Those need to be changed by society not government.

You speak of revolution. I talk with people all over the political spectrum. The anarcho capitalists I talk to speak of revolution also. Both are fringes in the political sphere and only small parts of the whole.

Processor AMD FX-9790 at 4.65 GHZ
Motherboard Asus Crosshairs V rev 1.0
Cooling Swiftech H320 cpu liquid cooling
Memory G. Skill Trident X 8GBx2 (16 GB) 2400 mhz dimms
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon R9 290
Storage 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 500 GB Samsung 840 Sata III SSD, Samsung 840 PRO 240 GB Sata III SSD,
Display(s) Samsung 23 inch LDEC monitor
Case Rosewill BlackHawk Ultra Full Tower Gaming Case
Power Supply Seasonic 860 watt Platinum Plus 80 psu
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 11.5 64 bit Open GL 81.46 FPS Cinebench 11.5 CPU 7.93
Two ways to define egalitarianism. It is defined either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social, and civil rights or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people or the decentralization of power.

I could be considered an egalitarian because I feel the government has grown too strong and desire to decentralize it. Governments always act in their best interests and slowly drift towards tyrannical draconian exploitation of everyone. You must be of the first definition. You must desire a revolution to take over the government and fix all the problems with force. Would all the wrongs be fixed though? No. Not even the strongest of governments can fix the problems of the worlds no matter what policies they use. You can't end unemployment by saying "Here you go, have a job." It just doesn't work for economic reasons. You can't just say "You will stop being a racist!" because it wont work. You can't stop racism at gunpoint.

We can agree on many problems in our society today. Our monetary, fiscal, and economic policies are so flawed that it does not even have a real foundation to stand on. That needs to be reformed. There are many social issues. Those need to be changed by society not government.

You speak of revolution. I talk with people all over the political spectrum. The anarcho capitalists I talk to speak of revolution also. Both are fringes in the political sphere and only small parts of the whole.
Don't condescend to marginalize me.Bold leadership with a vision based on well-grounded ideas and practice is always in a class society going to be found in small number. When they through dedication and base-building with those we work and live with over time find traction for their ideas then they can grow from small to large in almost an exponential fashion. That is quantity into quality , a law of dialectics. In your terms call it a quantum leap. It is part of the process of change in nature and in human society as well. We are off topic so I suggest we let this discussion termiinate before moderation steps in.

Display(s) Asus 144hz
Case Raijintek Metis
Don't condescend to marginalize me.Bold leadership with a vision based on well-grounded ideas and practice is always in a class society going to be found in small number. When they through dedication and base-building with those we work and live with over time find traction for their ideas then they can grow from small to large in almost an exponential fashion. That is quantity into quality , a law of dialectics. In your terms call it a quantum leap. It is part of the process of change in nature and in human society as well. We are off topic so I suggest we let this discussion termiinate before moderation steps in.
So now you think we are off topic. Instead of asking to discuss this via pm I will pm you.

System Name Custom Built | Netbook Samsung N145P
Processor Intel Core i3 6100 | Intel Atom N455 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus H110M-K-D3
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 12GB RAM
Video Card(s) MSI GT 1050 Ti 4GB| Intel GMA 3150
Storage Samsung EVO 750 120GB + Kingston HyperX Fury 120 GB + 2TB WD Hard disk | Kingston V300 120GB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 22cw
Case A old one
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Generic 500W
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD should have focused more on desktop CPU and mobile (growing market) and not wasted the money with purchasing ATI then they would have been better off.
True, besides maintaning those huge divisions is costly.

crazyeyesreaper

Chief Broken Rig
System Name Black Box
Processor 4770K @ Stock
Motherboard MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H2O 220X@ Prestige
Memory Avexir 2133 4x4GB (16GB)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX980Ti Gaming
Storage 1TB + 512GB SSD + 5 TB Storage
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Zalman ZM1000-EBT
Mouse Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard CM Quickfire TK
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
without ATi aquistion AMD would have been dead in the water in the mobile space, It is because of the ATi acquisition that they are still viable in that segment to begin with. Desktops are a shrinking market or soon to be so AMD in theory made the right move in aquiring ATi for what they are trying to do. Should AMD manage to drop power consumption ever further they could enter smartphone market where they would have the edge in GPU power compared to most other companies. Regardless AMD by themselves would be in just a bad of shape without ATi as they are with them Its a rather moot point. Bulldozer has been talked about since 2004 or 2005 long before AMD acquired ATi so in that regard the chip is a fail today buying ATi didnt change that lol.

Processor AMD FX-8320 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Asus Aura
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 SC
Storage Intel 535 Series SSD + Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Case NZXT
Power Supply EVGA 650 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
I think it is because AMD has lost it edge it once had and is sliding into some kind of weird Over Clocking PR game and NOT giving Intel a real run for it's money.
AMD should be using every thing they have to retake the lead not just jack up the CPU speed and put out the lames ass shit Over clocking crap they have been doing. All there PR is backfiring on them!
Totally agree!

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
2% of the market is enthusiasts. AMD's thought is in the right direction buut it may be too late. They bring in too much revenue to go by the wayside. A bigger entity will scoop them up soon like Microsoft. That is my prediction.

Display(s) Asus 144hz
Case Raijintek Metis
2% of the market is enthusiasts. AMD's thought is in the right direction buut it may be too late. They bring in too much revenue to go by the wayside. A bigger entity will scoop them up soon like Microsoft. That is my prediction.
Then we might get Amd optimized hardware...

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
System Name My Red Dragon Gaming PC
Processor AMD FX-8350 @ 4.40GHz w/8-Cores - Bus 277 / 1.35v
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula ROG - Bios v1801
Cooling Corsair H100 Water Cooling (120mm x4 Push/Pull)
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3-2210 (8GBx2)
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE (ATI) DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC + Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB Nitro+ LE
Storage Corsair Force 3 SSD 180GB + WD 32MB buffer 1TB HD
Display(s) Asus 24" (VG245H) FHD 75Hz 1ms FreeSyn - Gaming Monitor
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 - My Custom Red Dragn MOD!
Audio Device(s) SteelSound 5Hv2 8CH HD + EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0 -SupremeFX X-Fi 2
Power Supply Corsair 750W Gamers Power Supply
Mouse Razer DeathAdder PC Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G15 Classic Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 x64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores I have the worlds Fastest PC ever Built - 1980

MxPhenom 216

Corsair Fanboy
System Name The Battlestation
Processor Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ 1.275v
Motherboard MSi Z97 Gaming 5
Cooling EK Supremacy w/ EK Coolstream PE360
Memory G. Skill Trident X 16Gb (4x4GB) 2400mhz @ 1.65v
Video Card(s) MSi GTX1070 Gaming X 8GB @ 2GHz
Storage Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Crucial MX200 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2x 1TB Partitions)
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 27" 2560 x 1440 PLS @ 100hz
Case Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Audio Device(s) MSi Gaming AudioBoost ALC1150 w/ Sennheiser Game Ones
Power Supply Seasonic Flagship Prime Platinum 850
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310 w/ QCK Mass mat
Keyboard Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns and Red Backlit
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 15439
way to go off topic. Didn't know this thread said "Political Convention!". I feel like you just went online and found something "smart" sounding and copied and pasted it.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
Processor Q9650
Motherboard Gigabyte.
Cooling air.
Memory 4gb kingston
Video Card(s) hd 5870
Software win7 64 bit
Why the fuck would AMD want to do this? I just do not get it! They are the best video card GPU makers in the world! TO see AMD strip them like this or even cut the work force of ATI is more than a shame! It is a reflection of just where AMD is going. It is a reflection of how fucked up the CEO's of AMD really are! Pure FUCKING DIPSHITTERY! IMHO! If I were AMD I would be pumping up the video card sector and cranking up R&D! What the hell???!!!

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.95GHz
Motherboard Asus X370 Crosshair VI
Cooling Arctic Cooling 240mm
Memory 2x8GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 (bios flashed to 1050MHz core
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 3x22" LG Flatron (eyefinity)
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w