• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Lisa Su Named UBM Executive of the Year

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD Senior Vice President and General Manager, Global Business Units, Lisa Su has been named a winner in the EE Times and EDN 2014 UBM Tech ACE Awards in the Executive of the Year category. The awards program honors the people and companies behind the technologies and products that are changing the world of electronics.

The winners were announced at an awards ceremony Tuesday, April 1, at The Fairmont San Jose, during EE Live! "I am flattered and honored to be selected for the UBM 'Executive of the Year' award. When I look at the list of this year's nominees and past winners, it is a who's who of the industry's leaders," said Su. "AMD is in the middle of an important and comprehensive transformation, but it is very much a team effort. On behalf of the entire AMD team, we very much appreciate the recognition for the work."

Su played a key role in fundamentally redefining AMD's strategy and oversaw flawless delivery of AMD's product roadmap in 2013, including the industry's first quad-core x86 SoC designs, the world's first APU with HSA Features, and the ultimate graphics experience for 4K gaming. Under her leadership, AMD had numerous successes in the marketplace, including:
  • Delivering highly sophisticated technology to enable the record launches of both the Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4;
  • Entering into a collaboration with ARM to develop 64-bit ARM-based SoCs, targeting cloud and data center servers and embedded designs;
  • Completing the integration of SeaMicro and securing a high-profile data center design with Verizon to power their new high-performance cloud with AMD SeaMicro SM15000 servers.
"The ACE Awards celebrate the highest achievements in innovation and creativity in electronics design, and selecting one organization or individual that stands out above the rest is incredibly challenging," said Patrick Mannion, VP, Brand Director, UBM Tech Electronics. "The situation at AMD only a couple of years ago was also challenging. Lisa has been a driving force for both vision and execution, leading to significant design wins, and for the company's return to profitability."

A panel of EE Times and EDN editors narrowed down the entries to five finalists in each category, based on the criteria set forth in an online submission form. Winners are determined from among the finalists by a panel of independent judges. Judging took place from Jan. 27, 2014 - Feb. 24, 2014.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Congrats to Lisa Su.

Unfortunately AMD completely dropped the ball on a discrete desktop CPU to follow Vishera so now they will lose billions in sales over the next two years along with millions of loyal AMD customers who literally have no choice but to jump ship as AMD has nothing for them to purchase. This wasn't Lisa Su's decision. She just does what she is told to do.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Technically didn't drop it completely, just getting behind the more profitable APUs. Unfortunately...performance wise, the APUs suck in comparison. Unless we see 8+ cores, L3 cache, and other things which set the discrete apart from APUs, taking place on APUs, then yeah...to Intel goes the business.

But then again, at the rate technology is stagnating, I've got a few more years on my 8320.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
amd has no plans for the next 2 years on the main discrete line. does not mean that they are dropping the ball completely. it can be that they are just waiting for GloFo to get their shit together and start making some decent progress on the newer production processes with higher yeild rate. the more the failure rate glofo has the more amd is losing. Its useless to spend resources on an architecture based on old fabrication processes when intel is 14nm already.

this is a sound strategy as they can now completely focus on the mobile apu and apus in general. mobile apus in laptops is kicking intels ass in low to mid range pcs, increase their profits... which they can invest back into the am socket series 2 years later if all goes well.

Last edited:

H2323

amd has no plans for the next 2 years on the main discrete line. does not mean that they are dropping the ball completely. it can be that they are just waiting for GloFo to get their shit together and start making some decent progress on the newer production processes with higher yeild rate. the more the failure rate glofo has the more amd is losing. Its useless to spend resources on an architecture based on old fabrication processes when intel is 18nm already.

this is a sound strategy as they can now completely focus on the mobile apu and apus in general. mobile apus in laptops is kicking intels ass in low to mid range pcs, increase their profits... which they can invest back into the am socket series 2 years later if all goes well.

18nm.....does not exist. it's 22nm to 14nm for intel.... 28 to 20 to 16nm for AMD and everyone else. ASnd do not pretend to have a clue what they are going to do.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
When I see AMD this quiet on desktop, I'm expecting a surprise.
Also, an 8 core apu isn't impossible. Even 12 and 16 core apus could be attractive. Adding L3 caché should be easy. Take out the GPU portion and what you get is an FX.

When I see AMD this quiet on desktop, I'm expecting a surprise.
Also, an 8 core apu isn't impossible. Even 12 and 16 core apus could be attractive. Adding L3 caché should be easy. Take out the GPU portion and what you get is an FX.
always core's, core's and core's blablabla... this is what makes ppl blind by thinking more core = more performance.
I owned a FX8120 some months ago and i sucks. After many years on the red side i couldn't stand it any more to wait till AMD fixes these issues so i hopped again on the blue train. Face the reality ppl, AMD CPU's massively sucks at single thread performance and latency. As long they don't fix this, I don't see any comeback in the HighEnd market for them.

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
always core's, core's and core's blablabla... this is what makes ppl blind by thinking more core = more performance.
I owned a FX8120 some months ago and i sucks. After many years on the red side i couldn't stand it any more to wait till AMD fixes these issues so i hopped again on the blue train. Face the reality ppl, AMD CPU's massively sucks at single thread performance and latency. As long they don't fix this, I don't see any comeback in the HighEnd market for them.

I own an 8320 and what I need is more cores actually. And yes, AMD sucks in single threaded performance, but its not the disaster you described. I need more cores, and no, I'm not blind as you say. More cores is more performance in everything non gaming related. I work in video editing and software development. Gaming is just one part for what a PC is made for. On the other side... take a look at the PS4 and Xbox one. What they've got inside? An APU similar to an A10 with MORE CORES!

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home

In the near future and now its clear that more cores is the future and with software catching up with using more cores its just how its going to be.
If you owned a 8120 then thats your fault for not looking into the reviews first, the Bulldozer core was indeed meh, my mate has one and its OK but indeed it feels very slow. I waited with my Phenom II for another 12months then AMD brought out the Piledriver core and I jumped to the 8350 and its bloody good, kicked the crap out of my i7 940 with ease in multi core performance. Single thread/core performance is indeed less then Intel but they do not "suck" there still respectable and soon to be not as needed in the future with Software going the multi core way, that's just how it is.

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
In the near future and now its clear that more cores is the future and with software catching up with using more cores its just how its going to be.
If you owned a 8120 then thats your fault for not looking into the reviews first, the Bulldozer core was indeed meh, my mate has one and its OK but indeed it feels very slow. I waited with my Phenom II for another 12months then AMD brought out the Piledriver core and I jumped to the 8350 and its bloody good, kicked the crap out of my i7 940 with ease in multi core performance. Single thread/core performance is indeed less then Intel but they do not "suck" there still respectable and soon to be not as needed in the future with Software going the multi core way, that's just how it is.

Exactly.
Of course, an increase in single threaded performance is always welcome.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I'm hoping that Jim Keller revives AMD's performance reputation, moves them away from modules, or at least the currently slow modules. If the modules were faster, thats always a plus!

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
I'm hoping that Jim Keller revives AMD's performance reputation, moves them away from modules, or at least the currently slow modules. If the modules were faster, thats always a plus!

I believe they can improve the modules, or revive the old Thuban core and make it better. Either way, they should not stop. If they stop, they ain't gonna achieve anything