• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's RX Vega Low Key Budapest Event: Vega Pitted Against GTX 1080

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
"Plight against the green." Are you seriously still grasping at those straws?
All readers see your bullshit and you go on and on and on...

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
"Plight against the green." Are you seriously still grasping at those straws?

Are you seriously still accusing everyone who purchased Fermi or fx cards as the reason why amd can't release a gpu?

Amd released a 1080 competitor two years ago. It was called dual rx480's. You know what it did? Consumed roughly half the power of a Vega fe, cost similar to a 1070 and if the game supported xfire it worked just like a 1080. 2 years later where are we? Oh we are trying to push the fx8150 of graphics cards.

Last edited:
All readers see your bullshit and you go on and on and on...

Bullshit? What bullshit? That I'm somehow a massive AMD fanboy while not having a single AMD component in my system? Yeah, that argument's gonna fly...

Are you seriously still accusing everyone who purchased Fermi or fx cards as the reason why amd can't release a gpu?

Amd released a 1080 competitor two years ago. It was called dual rx480's. You know what it did? Consumed roughly half the power of a Vega fe, cost similar to a 1070 and if the game supported xfire it worked just like a 1080. 2 years later where are we? Oh we are trying to push the fx8150 of graphics cards.

For the first line, that's what you are implying. I actually haven't said anything other than stating the fact that people still bought it because it had performance. Fast forward to now and everyone is fucking freaking out when something (not something, AMD) has higher consumption even if it delivers performance. Hence, comparison with GeForce FX and Fermi. But ya all are too busy calling me an AMD fanboy to realize that.

As for the second part, if AMD already released dual RX480 (which it didn't on single PCB) to counter GTX 1080, then why all this whining ever since R9 Fury X how AMD doesn't have anything to go against GTX 1080? Make up your god damn minds, will ya? AMD fanboy... F**k me.

System Name PeaceMaker
Processor Intel Core i7-920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper N520
Memory Kingston 2x4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL7
Video Card(s) XFX HD 7870 Double Dissipation Edition
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB SSD
Case open air
Audio Device(s) non
Power Supply CORSAIR RM650X 650W 80 PLUS GOLD
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"the fx8150 of graphics cards" .. sum up
well let's hope that's the bottom that they can get, wake them up and come up with something truly innovative like Rayzen

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Bullshit? What bullshit? That I'm somehow a massive AMD fanboy while not having a single AMD component in my system? Yeah, that argument's gonna fly...

For the first line, that's what you are implying. I actually haven't said anything other than stating the fact that people still bought it because it had performance. Fast forward to now and everyone is fucking freaking out when something (not something, AMD) has higher consumption even if it delivers performance. Hence, comparison with GeForce FX and Fermi. But ya all are too busy calling me an AMD fanboy to realize that.

As for the second part, if AMD already released dual RX480 (which it didn't on single PCB) to counter GTX 1080, then why all this whining ever since R9 Fury X how AMD doesn't have anything to go against GTX 1080? Make up your god damn minds, will ya? AMD fanboy... F**k me.

So you know raja announced dual 480's as a competitor to the 1080 right? That also doesn't change that they don't have a single card that competes. Even now, 2 years after the 1080 released. Hell they dont even have a 980ti competitor.

You have been swinging off of the vaporware that is vega for 6-8 months now. You have zero facts to back up any argument repeat the same line of b.s. and every time someone throws sand up to show how wrong that line is you stone wall and ignore it. AGAIN NVIDIA LOST MARKET SHARE AND ATI GAINED IT IN ALL OF THE TIMES YPU HAVE MENTIONED.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
That's pretty much an R9 295 X2, just lower power consumption.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m

How you punish yourself is not the matter. Why negative against nvidia when they delivered so good product 1 year ago. Why even defend AMD when first 300+w tdp card is announced and maybe only 1080 performance. Shit, you are fanboy at its finest, buying 1050ti when nothing better from AMD is in stock. Gtfo.

So you know raja announced dual 480's as a competitor to the 1080 right? That also doesn't change that they don't have a single card that competes. Even now, 2 years after the 1080 released. Hell they dont even have a 980ti competitor.

You have been swinging off of the vaporware that is vega for 6-8 months now. You have zero facts to back up any argument repeat the same line of b.s. and every time someone throws sand up to show how wrong that line is you stone wall and ignore it. AGAIN NVIDIA LOST MARKET SHARE AND ATI GAINED IT IN ALL OF THE TIMES YPU HAVE MENTIONED.

Soooo, where is this dual RX480 then? All I'm LITERALLY saying the entire time is all the data on Vega is just off as far as gaming goes. I'm not defending it, I'm stating that it doesn't make any sense. It's a big fucking difference. And all YOU people are saying is VEGA IS GARBAGE OMG OMG FANBOY AHAHAHAHA, STOP DEFENDING IT (now, that is objectively bashing of a product you can't even try because Vega FE ain't a gaming card no matter what you say). That's literally what's happening. But sure, keep on convincing yourself otherwise.

How you punish yourself is not the matter. Why negative against nvidia when they delivered so good product 1 year ago. Why even defend AMD when first 300+w tdp card is announced and maybe only 1080 performance. Shit, you are fanboy at its finest, buying 1050ti when nothing better from AMD is in stock. Gtfo.

Negativity? Where? Please, do show me that and with full context, so you won't pull shit out of your rear by cherry picking individual words and not whole paragraphs. The only thing you'll find is that I literally nowhere say that the GTX 980 that I do own (no, I don't have a Radeon if you haven't freaking noticed yet) is crap. Also, good luck finding ANY post ANYWHERE where I state that NVIDIA currently doesn't hold a performance supremacy. Wait, I'll do it for you:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...rovement-per-month.234924/page-4#post-3689493

GTX 1080Ti drivers are as good as they can get imo. Besides, why would NVIDIA hold it back with subpar drivers if they can reign absolute supremacy with excellent drivers? It's not around 40% faster than anything else by pure chance...

Look at this bashing of NVIDIA! God I'm so nasty by stating that NVIDIA has excellent drivers and holds supreme performance crown in a SINGLE SENTENCE. OH MAH GOD.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Soooo, where is this dual RX480 then? All I'm LITERALLY saying the entire time is all the data on Vega is just off as far as gaming goes. I'm not defending it, I'm stating that it doesn't make any sense. It's a big fucking difference. And all YOU people are saying is VEGA IS GARBAGE OMG OMG FANBOY AHAHAHAHA, STOP DEFENDING IT (now, that is objectively bashing of a product you can't even try because Vega FE ain't a gaming card no matter what you say). That's literally what's happening. But sure, keep on convincing yourself otherwise.

Have you ever been shopping and selected two things instead of one? That would be dual rx480's. Tons of things with AMD don't make sense, one thing that does is terrible drivers. The card also implements a multitude of things that have to be enabled at both a hardware and software level that AMD lacks the R&D to actually implement. I mean for gods sake they released a card that they bragged up and down about TBR and then the driver doesn't even implement it. Broken half finished garbage, I was actually excited for this card 8 months ago.

Hold your horses. If we can just pair shit up, why RX480 and not Fury X in CrossfireX then? Because I do know for a fact that dual Fury X pisses even on GTX 1080Ti. And now is the moment you'll say "BUT"...

As for drivers and "terrible". I've had generations of Radeon cards and never had issues. I've also had several generations of GeForce cards. Also never had any serious issues. There were issues with both, mostly minor glitches that got fixed in driver or two.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
GeForce FX was hot and power hungry, but it generally had ok framerate in things that weren't DX9. It sold well anyway. Fermi was hot and power hungry. Still had somewhat decent framerate as well. Still sold. But when AMD pulls the same thing, OH MAH GOD, AMD IS GARBAGE OMG OMG OMG. Like, c'mon, are people all 5 years old?

I'm quoting this again because it's pertinent to the current ping pong discourse going back and forth.
People are reacting to your invalid point, quoted above. People DID call Nvidia out for the hot chip. People actually did switch to Radeon as Cdawall's sales graphs show.
If you simply say you understand this, it's all good. You're currently being gang banged because you've not accepted what you wrote (in quotes) is wrong. The history doesn't support you, nor does the sales figures.
Also, of real merit, after Fermi, Nvidia made efforts to streamline and make the design more efficient. We've seen it as they've reduced the compute component over time. This flipped the tables on former ATI who had made some nice efficient designs, especially by offering the 5870/5850 cards at the time.
Nvidia were laughed at and ATI got better sales. Nvidia managed though to get a full core 580 chip to succeed the 480 and this caught folk off guard (notably Charlie at Semi Accurate who said 'trust me, Nvidia cannot make a full core Fermi chip, it's not possible).
Since then, dropping compute has worked for gaming in the most part. Except now, GP100 and GV100 are not the same chip for gaming cards. Nvidia, unlike AMD is bifurcating their stack for HPC and general consumer.

Anyway. Most folk know your not a fan boy but failing to address your own erroneous statements doesnt help.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Hold your horses. If we can just pair shit up, why RX480 and not Fury X in CrossfireX then? Because I do know for a fact that dual Fury X pisses even on GTX 1080Ti. And now is the moment you'll say "BUT"...

As for drivers and "terrible". I've had generations of Radeon cards and never had issues. I've also had several generations of GeForce cards. Also never had any serious issues. There were issues with both, mostly minor glitches that got fixed in driver or two.

As someone with two fury's they do not "piss" on a 1080Ti in anything, but producing heat.

And if you mean minor glitches like, the overclock section shitting itself every single time you restart the computer normally then sure "Minor" or black screen crashes in multiple games or xfire just not working in games. The list goes on.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Benchmarks say otherwise. But since you own them, I guess everyone else is wrong, right?

Care to post benchmarks overclocked vs overclocked. My 1080Ti in my HTPC rig is at 2063/1600 the fury's are at 1075/500.

As someone with two fury's they do not "piss" on a 1080Ti in anything, but producing heat.

And if you mean minor glitches like, the overclock section shitting itself every single time you restart the computer normally then sure "Minor" or black screen crashes in multiple games or xfire just not working in games. The list goes on.
I have random driver crashes, Gsync has to be toggled off and back on anytime I set fixed refresh for a program in the control panel, various performance drops after driver updates. The list goes on just the same for Nvidia when it comes to drivers.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I wonder if an Ashes of the Singularity Vega patch will drop soon?

I think this argument is getting pretty old and over-exploited by now.
Everyone can see you're very supportive for AMD - yet, whenever someone points this out, you use the same story about not having AMD gear. It's been going on for months!

So here's the question: if you value recent AMD products so much, why don't you buy anything?

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Everyone can see you're very supportive for AMD - yet, whenever someone points this out, you use the same story about not having AMD gear. It's been going on for months!

So here's the question: if you value recent AMD products so much, why don't you buy anything?

Because everything they actually release is just a box of hype

I have random driver crashes, Gsync has to be toggled off and back on anytime I set fixed refresh for a program in the control panel, various performance drops after driver updates. The list goes on just the same for Nvidia when it comes to drivers.

My mining rigs 24/7/365 the nvidia ones need a restart weekly the AMD ones every other day can be pushing it.

System Name ROG 7900X3d By purecain
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Memory 64Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 neo RGB 6400@6000mhz@1.41v
Video Card(s) Aorus RTX4090 Extreme Waterforce
Storage 990Pro2Tb-1TbSamsung Evo M.2/ 2TbSamsung QVO/ 1TbSamsung Evo780/ 120gbKingston Now
Display(s) LG 65UN85006LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Case Thermaltake CoreX71 Limited Edition Etched Tempered Glass Door
Audio Device(s) On board/NIcomplete audio 6
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 1000w 80+
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows11pro
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/gtle1y][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gtle1y-6.png[/img][/url]
I heard that the rx version wont be much different to the frontier edition.

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
Before judging i wanna see real performance with new drivers too.
About the argument of dual R9 Fuxy x , not a lot of time ago i was wondering if would be good to add another Fury x or buy a 1080ti and the thing is that if we have to talk about performance we have to use the latest drivers too and not refer to old tests with old drivers or all this don't make any sense.
I wanna see how it goes with RX Vega but i was wandering what graphic card was pushing the first time was announced Doom at 4 k at 60 fps .
Was the FT or this RX Vega in ealry stages?
We don't know and i hope that was not only a dev concept that didn't work out .
AT 4k 2 How is the difference with 2 Fury x vs 1 1080ti with the latest drivers?
Because we have to push it to the limit to testing it out not using 1080p that don't push anything high end .

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I wanna see how it goes with RX Vega but i was wandering what graphic card was pushing the first time was announced Doom at 4 k at 60 fps .

A single 1080ti gets well over that in doom

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
A single 1080ti gets well over that in doom
If i remember was like 60 to 65 and with not optimized drivers because is not a full released card.
We have to wait and see how it goes .
4K 60 is good so i don't see the point in going over the refresh rate .

Yeah, well, it's kinda very hard being a f**king AMD fanboy if you don't own a single fucking thing from them, don't you think? Jesus... use some common sense. You can't call an argument you people created a tiring one and throw it at me. That's like beating a strawman into a flat thing. And setting it on fire. But if not rushing to conclusions without actually having an RX Vega at hands makes me a fanboy, then so be it. Idiots making conclusions based on Vega Frontier Edition are just that, a bunch of clueless idiots. And we're talking about major reputable publications doing that. That's just beyond baffling. It's like they don't get it that while core is the same, Vega FE was released with different tasks in mind, meaning drivers could in fact be far more primitive and "half baked" and still work for what it was meant. As it's evident from tests where they actually tested shit that aren't games. For all the features that matter for games to function, they required extra time which is why there is no RX Vega out yet. Is that really so hard t grasp? AMD also did release VEGA within scheduled date which was 1H 2017. Granted, they didn't say it'll be a card for developers first, but they released it. Again, it was again your expectations (and mine) that make us believe that they'll release their entire lineup. Which sucks, but it's not like it's end of the world because of that.

Good f**king question, don't you think? It's you people who accuse me of being a massive AMD fanboy. Hard to hold that narrative against someone with Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU, isn't it?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I'm still giving AMD the benefit of the doubt on Vega. I'm not expecting a Titan Xp slayer but, like I said, it will be faster than the RX 480 and priced to sell for the performance. What's not to love? Sure, sure, it could always be faster but, reality check.